Port Arrival NYC Breakaway

Mira28

Can anyone advise if my arriving at the port @ 12:00 for the Breakaway is a wise move? Would earlier be better?

My train as scheduled, gets into NY at 10:50. I am allowing 1 hour for transport to the ship.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I would get straight over there by taxi as soon as you can. All aboard is 1:00pm if your sail time is 3:00!

I am shooting to drive in at 10:00am myself. I figure that's check in about 10:30 and wait a little bit before boarding starts.

Can anyone advise if my arriving at the port @ 12:00 for the Breakaway is a wise move? Would earlier be better?

My train as scheduled, gets into NY at 10:50. I am allowing 1 hour for transport to the ship.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Where is your train coming in to? I can't imagine it taking an hour to get from Penn (or even Grand Central) to the terminal. I think you should be fine, especially if you've done the online check in and have all of your documents printed.

Thanks so much. I'm coming on Amtrak into Penn Station (from Albany). Given an hour leeway for so for any trouble! I hope to get a cab quickly at Penn, but can always walk. Is it possible to cross 12th Ave. near the pier?

Thanks so much. I'm coming on Amtrak into Penn Station (from Albany). Given an hour leeway for so for any trouble! I hope to get a cab quickly at Penn, but can always walk. Is it possible to cross 12th Ave. near the pier?

Yes, it is possible to cross 12th Ave., but if you take a cab they will drop you off on the upper level for emarkation. Getting a cab at Penn shouldn't be a problem. On the 7th Avenue side there is a taxi stand, which moves fairly quickly even when the line is long. Or just hail one heading uptown on the 8th Ave side. Since you are coming from Penn and don't have to go cross town from Grand Central, I really can't imagine it taking that long to get to the pier. If your train comes in before 11, and your all aboard time is 1pm, it should not be a problem.

The last time I took Amtrak from Albany to croton was on a beautiful weather Saturday afternoon

The train was 2 hours late just getting to Albany. Just sayin

Is there a much earlier crack of dawn train you can grab or a bus?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You absolutely can not count on Amtrak being on time.

Is it possible you could just drive to Poughkeepsie and take Metro North? Parking is is around $35 for the week and the train goes into Grand Central. I take the 42 bus and walk up 12th to the ship.

Or sometimes Megabus is real cheap.

I'm a walker so if a nice day, I'd walk from their drop off, but cabs are available.

The last time I took Amtrak from Albany to croton was on a beautiful weather Saturday afternoon

The train was 2 hours late just getting to Albany. Just sayin

Is there a much earlier crack of dawn train you can grab or a bus?

I agree with the above. I would take an earlier train. 3/5 of my train trips to NYC have been delayed. I go in the night before now.

• 2 months later...

I would not mind taking the train into NYC and then maybe staying overnight nearby the pier. Is that possible? Anyone know of a hotel in the southern Connecticut area that allows stay/park(for a week)?

I am looking forward to trying Breakaway out of NYC but getting to the pier from New England seems difficult. We sailed out of NJ to Bermuda on Celebrity and we stayed at a hotel which provided transportation to the pier and back and parking. Also in Boston and Miami.

Anyone know of something like that for the NYC pier that the Breakaway sails out of?

Thanks.

We have been on breakaway 3 times and have never been able to get there before 1 ish due to the dang traffic. None of those times did we have an issue or were we in anyway even one of the last to arrive. They say all aboard is at 1, but that really just does not happen. You probably won't even need the whole hour to get from train to ship anyway.

I would not mind taking the train into NYC and then maybe staying overnight nearby the pier. Is that possible? Anyone know of a hotel in the southern Connecticut area that allows stay/park(for a week)?

I am looking forward to trying Breakaway out of NYC but getting to the pier from New England seems difficult. We sailed out of NJ to Bermuda on Celebrity and we stayed at a hotel which provided transportation to the pier and back and parking. Also in Boston and Miami.

Anyone know of something like that for the NYC pier that the Breakaway sails out of?

Thanks.

You've asked many different questions, and for the best and most current answers, may I suggest you post over on the East Coast Departures board. The folks there are very helpful, particularly for these types of questions.

It's very easy to get to the NYC pier

Amtrak to penn and the cab or walk to pier

Metro north to grand central and then cab to pier

The only problem might be relying on Amtrak to not be 2 hours delayed! Lol

Switching to metro north from Amtrak in Poughkeepsie or croton if coming from the north

Or switching to metro north from Amtrak in Stamford or new Rochelle might alleviate a delay but Its hard to say

If at all possible the smart move from the north or New England is to get into NYC via a metro north line

Or better yet....come in the day before

If you're doing Amtrak on the Northeast Corridor, you can definitely come in the same day. Give yourself a little leeway in case of delays, though.

If you're going to Bermuda, sail time is 4 PM, and all aboard is 2 PM. I would shoot to arrive at Penn Station by around 10:00. That should give you plenty of time.

I took Amtrak for a cruise a few weeks ago, and let's say that MY train was 90 minutes late for no good reason..(though I was a day ahead...._

..ANYTHING can happen.....trespassers, downed lines, broken down train...

Come in as early as you can.....I've taken the train to Albany before....and was VERY late.....so.....if you can come in earlier that's awesome...if not.....cross your fingers...

Edited by megr1125

if coming out of albany call yankee trails in rennsalear for about 100 dollars they'll bring you right to the pier and pick you up at pier and bring you back. free parking at there terminal. give the driver your luggage and next time you see it it'll be at your room on ship.

We always get out of the taxi across from the pier on 12 Ave..There could be a lot of traffic going to the ship.It saves a lot of time.There is a crosswalk and a cop directing traffic at that location.Good Luck