Rise in Tips ?

Josy1953

i am lost here if we pay our automatic tip why should p&o deduct any money from steward because of his score most of our problems are not with the steward but p&o cleaver they they keep his tip i worked for p&o as a steward

I wasn't a fan of loading the auto-gratuity on the purchase price as that would incur VAT. However, it is unfair for P&O to expect those passengers not removing the auto-gratuity to pay even more to compensate for those that do.

There seems vary little fairness going on in P&O pricing and gratuity policies. The whole thing is a not very cheap lottery! The more I see and learn the more I dislike.

I am fairly confident my May 2015 cruise will be my last one on P&O.

So it will be you last cruise as everyone else is doing the same thing. Unless you can cruise with one of the 6* lines who include tips.

:confused:

This thread has been a suprise to one, asking more legitimate questions than anticipated. To resolve this personal quandary, while on the QV next month, discreet enquiries will be made, hopefully truth will out.

This is the P & O forum..... :rolleyes: and although both Cunard and P & O are Carnival group companies they are separate entities and do not necessarily operate in the same way.

And, one has to ask, why do you believe you will be given the truth anyway?

It is a bit of a problem because if you go down the route of gratuities being included in the price of the cruise if you have a problem with your waiter or cabin steward you cannot stop them getting gratuities which is wrong because it is a reward for good service and if they havent given that then why should they receive it.

It is a bit of a problem because if you go down the route of gratuities being included in the price of the cruise if you have a problem with your waiter or cabin steward you cannot stop them getting gratuities which is wrong because it is a reward for good service and if they havent given that then why should they receive it.

No it is not a award for good service, it is part of their remuneration. If you have a problem with a crew member talk to their supervisor.

I see the auto tips as just that - 'tips'. Whether these tips go to making up a decent wage for the cabin steward or waiter is of no great concern to me. They will however get tips from me as long as they provide an expected level of service, and I won't know that until the end of my cruise.

Seeing as these auto tips only go to your cabin steward and waiter, then I will be removing them as soon as I board. If they provide a standard of service I expect then I shall tip them in cash periodically throughout the cruise.

I dont like the idea of tipping in advance, I wouldn't ever walk into a restaurant and tip the waiter straight away, in the hope of getting good service. The waiters and room maids in the UK are on low wages, and I dont tip them in advance either.

Edited by Big Stevie

All this talk of tips and compulsory tips and how we will feel if we don't tip has got me rather worried now.

I must admit that the travel agent did not mention the added cost of tips to the cruise costs. There are 4 of us in our family going so (3.95x4)x15 = £237 extra we must pay.

The cruise is a massive expense for us already and adding this extra on top (although for many will be a drop in the ocean) is stretching things to the limit.

Must say I feel rather worried and sick about the whole thing and am not sure what to do now!

p.s. if you are on freedom dining as we are, how can it go to your waiter? Will we not have different ones?

Edited by Dirky

p.s. if you are on freedom dining as we are, how can it go to your waiter? Will we not have different ones?

We are on Freedom as well, and yes you will have different waiters. If we have different waiters for each and every meal then I doubt I will be tipping them all. But if we find we get the same waiter more than once, and they give good service, then I shall tip them.

As I see it, we have paid for our cruise and we will have a great time, but I refuse to feel guilty about the earnings of the staff, especially as the whole tipping procedure is clouded in mystery and you don't actually know if your waiter keeps your tip or hands it into a 'pool' of tips to be shared with others.

On our last cruise we were at the Baltic / Ligurian lunch and seated with a senior officer from the hotel dept. The subject of autotipping came up and he said he was disappointed at the large number of people queuing to remove the tips on day one.

I asked if that meant the intended recipients received a shortfall. He said No the company makes up the shortfall because of contractual agreements.

I therefore think the increase is to cover that.[/QUOT

I am sure this is true as I was told the same by a Maitre d' on Cunard and assume therefore it applies to all Carnival Group lines. He went on to tell me some passengers tip him and whilst not turning it down felt embarrassed taking it because he is salaried.

If P&O think that increasing the gratuity charge will make up for all the refuseniks I fear they will be sadly disappointed. The higher the charges the more will opt out.

Saga include all tips in the cruise price. It's time Cunard did the same.

David.

Forget this idea that it's all based on the survey, on the present regime you can't prevent the steward getting his share of the tips.

David?

We have met staff on Disney and Celebrity who were obviously upset - when asked we found that their supervisor had had words with them because guests had removed their tips. They seemed to be blaming the staff but there is very little they can do. We have found that guests have a mind set regarding auto tipping and, of course, the choice is theirs. We used to cancel them then pay directly to staff but then realised that background staff would miss out - now we just leave the auto tips. Saves thinking of what to give, is anyone being missed? Etc.

Yes. I remember going on a short cruise on Independence to Ireland. Even though it was an American ship, UK VAT was added to all items in the shops as we were not leaving the EU.

Brian

Of course, you pay Spanish IVA when you are in Spanish waters.

David.

Auto tipping was introduced when Freedom dining came out. It's difficult to keep tipping waiters every night when you are likely to have different ones. Thus auto tipping was introduced andthe money shared out amongst all waiters.

If any of your family are under 12 years, then they are not in the auto tip scheme.

Brian

Must say I feel rather worried and sick about the whole thing and am not sure what to do now!

Do what so many do (many, many more than admit it here) and ask for them to be removed.

In an ideal world three and a half thousand passengers on one cruise get their tips removed and don't pay any in cash. Then they ring the Daily Mail.

Of course it's a dream, but boy!!

David.

We used to cancel them then pay directly to staff but then realised that background staff would miss out - now we just leave the auto tips. Saves thinking of what to give, is anyone being missed? Etc.

But thats perhaps the most contentious issue as I don't believe that any of the tips actually go to the background staff, just the waiters and cabin stewards.

Lots of folk seem to leave the auto tips on in the belief that the background staff will get a share, but my research suggests that they dont. These very same people often post on here criticising those that remove the tips, when they themselves aren't necessarily correct.

Edited by Big Stevie

But thats perhaps the most contentious issue as I don't believe that any of the tips actually go to the background staff, just the waiters and cabin stewards.

Lots of folk seem to leave the auto tips on in the belief that the background staff will get a share, but my research suggests that they dont. These very same people often post on here criticising those that remove the tips, when they themselves aren't necessarily correct.

It is my understanding that the stewards etc may cascade down some cash to those that help them do their jobs. The poor man who has to transport all the towels and sheets up from the laundry etc etc.. This would be unofficial and part of tradition.

I think Thomson have it right. Tips are included yet many of us seasoned Thomson cruisers tip the stewards and waiters as the service is excellent. They have a form delivered to the cabin at the end of every week where you nominate staff for an "Oscar". From this the best staff get privileges, maybe half a day off or the chance to go on a shore excursion that would normally be out of bounds for them. Do the P&O staff get chance to visit the likes of Rome or Florence? For all the hard work they do I would like to think so.

Edited by joeholiday2

Forget this idea that it's all based on the survey, on the present regime you can't prevent the steward getting his share of the tips.

David?

I know its impossible to remove just the cabin stewards without affecting the waiters for first time in nearly 30 cruises P&O last year asked if we could remove just cabin stewards part of tips at reception and was told no.

Don't know how many times it has to be said, the only people who get tips are the cabin steward and the waiters in the MDR. Exactly the same as when I started cruising in 2001. The difference is that there was no auto tip. It is my understanding that the cabin stewards tip down to the young staff who help them. Just as they did 15 and more years ago.

It is my understanding that the cabin stewards tip down to the young staff who help them. Just as they did 15 and more years ago.

This is what P&O say.

100% of this amount is distributed to your cabin steward, butler, head waiter, assistant waiter or junior waiter that has looked after you whilst you are with us, this is distributed through our tipping pool.

Of course if you want to tip any other crew member in addition to this, please feel free to do so.

The gratuity charge applied to all bar services is shared between bar personnel in recognition of their services whereas dining charges are discretionary and although they are automatically added to on board accounts, this can be adjusted or removed by visiting Reception.