Rise in Tips ?

Josy1953

If you purchase a Kia, and expect the same interior, style, power as a BMW, I think you may be disapointed.

being inferior is not a term I would use in any conversation.

Its not a nice word to use in general terms.

No but what you said was that the typical type of passenger on Cunard is different to P and o. This kind of remark makes me realise why I don't sail with Cunard.

No but what you said was that the typical type of passenger on Cunard is different to P and o. This kind of remark makes me realise why I don't sail with Cunard.

Agree totally having sailed with Cunard in the past there are some cruisers are so pompous and full of self importance that they look down on others thinking they are better than everyone else which they are clearly not.

mmmmmm,

the amount of money may sound very generous on paper, but in reality not every passenger tips, not everyone tips what they are required to tip, and you also have to factor the hours per day per week.

The guys have to work seven days a week, and at least 70 hours per week.

On that assumption, the hourly rate is a lot less that one would think.

They deserve every penny.

Don't forget they get free accommodation and free drinks and food, they can do 6 months and not spend a penny. If the money didn't suit them then they wouldn't do it.

I agree, bunch of snobs ;)

anyway, back to tipping. roll the tip into the cost of the cruise and the problem goes away. Meanwhile, those of us who tip are subsidising the cheapskates who don't.

I drive a KIA, and have yet to cruise on Cunard.

Its one of the few cruise lines I have not sailed on yet.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is not a snob

Several commentators have raised a worthy point about the desirability of including gratuities in the initial price, but there is a case that an aspect of that argument is a question of semantics. Should someone secure a deal that benefits from on-board credit, perhaps that arrangement might be understood as a fare for which some/all tips are "included", albeit to be deducted from that credit, with the remainder earmarked for that voyager's decadent whimsy. The counter would be that someone who secures a bargain price—or otherwise a comparatively expensive fare, yet purchased without an OBC perk, which one might assume to have been chosen for good reasons by that passenger, irrespective of whether those are readily quantifiable—should consider supplementing their base fare by providing the gratuity suggested for those who work so hard on their behalf.

A valid point, although there is a case that citing a reason for dissatisfaction (and hopefully securing a resolution) is a more effective process than merely withholding cash for any motive, however arbitrary. I am fortunate never to have had cause to get deeply grumpy in a cruise context, but it is clearly easier for someone to "not tip" one of Carnival's employees than it would be to obtain compensation from Carnival for a misdeed or operationally bonkers decision, irrespective of where the cause of any dispute might lie.

I really really wish they would include in the price.

When you all stay in hotels do you all query what that price covers.

If it was included you would pay a price and just go on holiday.

Not sure I understand why the poster who doesn't like envelopes doesn't just leave the auto grats on...you don't have to think about anything then, just be on holiday.

When freedom dining came in I thought that was why they brought in auto grats at the same time ,so your different waiters every night ,would still get a tip.

The more you look into it, the more messy everything becomes.

I really really wish they would include in the price.

When you all stay in hotels do you all query what that price covers.

If it was included you would pay a price and just go on holiday.

Not sure I understand why the poster who doesn't like envelopes doesn't just leave the auto grats on...you don't have to think about anything then, just be on holiday.

When freedom dining came in I thought that was why they brought in auto grats at the same time ,so your different waiters every night ,would still get a tip.

The more you look into it, the more messy everything becomes.

Well put.

I can't remember right now (I only keep my account summary until my credit card bill has arrived) whether it is P&O or Princess who actually put the label "Hotel Charge" on your account rather than "Gratuities". This is obviously what the charge is even though we all refer to it as tips and as such it really should be included in the headline cost of the cruise.

Well put.

I can't remember right now (I only keep my account summary until my credit card bill has arrived) whether it is P&O or Princess who actually put the label "Hotel Charge" on your account rather than "Gratuities". This is obviously what the charge is even though we all refer to it as tips and as such it really should be included in the headline cost of the cruise.

I bet you are glad you started this thread Josy1953 :)

It has been very interesting though and has not got nasty like some of the tipping threads I have read in the past :eek:

Well, said English Lady, exactly what I think ( sorry, I couldn't get your quote button to work):rolleyes:

I have been fortunate to have had over 20 cruises in the last seven years and the only ship I have removed tips from my account was Cunard QM2. It wasn't the passengers who were arrogant but the staff! We have sailed on Q.Victoria and it was excellent and very friendly staff. It was on the QM2 that we found out you COULD stop the tips from the account - Six passengers from our table,who only sail with Cunard, told us that they never pay them up front.

Over these years I have seen lots of points of view regarding tipping - all valid to the writer and so correct. I do pay my tips on my account and VERY rarely would give extra. Lots of writers like to say 'we always give a big tip at the end' - how long is a piece of string! They never give actual amounts. When we sail Azamara the tips are included (also bumps up the holiday price of course) but the staff do not wait round for extra. would this be the case on all ships?

One very good point with P&O is the fact that children under 12 do not pay - not so with Disney and Royal Caribbean - we had to pay full tips for our grandson who was sharing our cabin. $36 per day!

The problem with including tips with the cost of the cruise is that it ceases to be discretionary and instead becomes compulsory. Would you be able to get the tips refunded if you received bad service?

A non argument IMO. Several Cruise lines include tips in their prices yet they are still able to provide good service. Good management is the answer.

The problem with including tips with the cost of the cruise is that it ceases to be discretionary and instead becomes compulsory. Would you be able to get the tips refunded if you received bad service?

The point is the tips are not tips, they are part of the crews salary. Do what Thomson do, include them in the fare. They are not itemised seperately and as such you can't get them removed. In other words the basic salary is higher. The crew are very happy about this as they have more guaranteed pay and know if they offer excellent service the passengers might well tip them anyway.

It seems that P&O want to have a complex solution when a simple one is available.

If you get bad service tell the supervisor, thats part of their job.

After 300+ nights at sea I cannot remember any bad service so a tip refund would not be important. As Dave says if you get bad service do something about it and get it changed. Don't just let it get worse.

The point is the tips are not tips, they are part of the crews salary. Do what Thomson do, include them in the fare. They are not itemised seperately and as such you can't get them removed. In other words the basic salary is higher. The crew are very happy about this as they have more guaranteed pay and know if they offer excellent service the passengers might well tip them anyway.

It seems that P&O want to have a complex solution when a simple one is available.

If you get bad service tell the supervisor, thats part of their job.

It may well be part of their salary, but it is a part of their salary that they should only get if they deliver a satisfactory service. Surely if they don't deliver this then they don't deserve that part of their salary? As long as they do their job to a suitable standard then they won't loose out?

Christ on a bike :eek:. 300 nights at see, where were you going? Surely the ship would need to dock somewhere for fuel? :D

No it had a long pipe sticking out of the back. Who needs ports.

It may well be part of their salary, but it is a part of their salary that they should only get if they deliver a satisfactory service. Surely if they don't deliver this then they don't deserve that part of their salary? As long as they do their job to a suitable standard then they won't loose out?

If their work is not to a satisfactory standard they will not be offered another contract. If the management side is doing its job properly they will have had warnings and if they don't improve they will be on the plane home before their contract ends.

ps - they should not get ANY salary if they are inefficient

Performance awards might sound attractive. the problem is you need a objective thing to measure the performance. Passengers filling in forms is not objective, it is subjective. some people will give bad marks just because they like being nasty. Some people will stiff the steward and waiters because they could not get a sun lounger.:mad:

The other question regarding auto tips is whether your cabin steward knows that you have elected to pay by this method, or are they non the wiser?

the crew know who has had auto tips removed. nothing is secret on a ship :eek:

I agree, bunch of snobs ;)

Ouch!

So I am a snob just because I usually sail Cunard?

What a horrible narrow minded individual.

We are on Ventura for two weeks in May and I certainly don't want to associate with people with that mentality.

We are Diamond with Cunard and always go QG. Just for the record, we both drive BMW's, so what?

On Cunard we always hold at least one cocktail party and invite all sorts of folks from all types of ship's class, so there is absolutely no snobbery attached.

The other shocking point is the number of tight fisted pax who take pride in depriving others less well off with their well deserved tips. They should be utterly ashamed of themselves, and not coming on here to brag about how miserly they are.

Stewart

, not everyone tips what they are required to tip,

There is no requirement to tip. If there were a requirement to pay they would no longer be tips, but some sort of service charge.

I think the vast majority of passengers would like to see the tips rolled up in to the cruise fare.

It's a win win for all: the cruise line would collect more and the staff would get more. The only losers would be the "no tipping group"

It's time P&O started listening to their customers.

How those skinflints must chuckle at the suckers who pay up when they don't, but who expect and recieve just the same service.

David.

No because there would be no separation of the tips from the overall fare.

I have sailed on Saga, and some years ago on Swan Hellenic both of which are no tipping lines. You need to have sailed aboard one to understand how much more relaxing it is not to have the hastle of tips to worry about.

David.