Rise in Tips ?

Josy1953

This is what P&O say.

100% of this amount is distributed to your cabin steward, butler, head waiter, assistant waiter or junior waiter that has looked after you whilst you are with us, this is distributed through our tipping pool.

Of course if you want to tip any other crew member in addition to this, please feel free to do so.

The gratuity charge applied to all bar services is shared between bar personnel in recognition of their services whereas dining charges are discretionary and although they are automatically added to on board accounts, this can be adjusted or removed by visiting Reception.

You missed a bit which came before that - they also say....

This charge is discretionary and we believe it represents a fair amount, remaining one of the lowest within the hospitality industry. We strongly believe that this amount should be voluntary and therefore can be varied or removed at the reception desk at any time.

You missed a bit which came before that - they also say....

This charge is discretionary and we believe it represents a fair amount, remaining one of the lowest within the hospitality industry. We strongly believe that this amount should be voluntary and therefore can be varied or removed at the reception desk at any time.

Yes I did notice that. It reads as if they are inviting passengers to remove the tips.

David.

I never fill the form at the end of the cruise, P O should know how well there staff are performing, and I doubt that i'm the only one, so what happens then? Re bonus..I also did email P O last year after being on two four day trips (of which neither time was there an end of cruise comment sheet), the reply from them was they are sent via email (they weren't) so do the room stewards get excellent for all these short cruises, of which there are many?

I have the auto tips removed and write on the form that when p o give a clear answer as to where the auto tips go (and I don't mean to whom) I will leave on.

Also how long does it take to collate all the information from the forms? If I give a tip I want that person to receive it straight away not months later.

When we gave our dinner waiters their tips (mid cruise) they hid it very quickly under some menus!!!

Our room steward at xmas said in all his years he had never received so much from one cabin, i was astounded as we only gave double, not a massive amount.

but I refuse to feel guilty about the earnings of the staff, especially as the whole tipping procedure is clouded in mystery and you don't actually know if your waiter keeps your tip or hands it into a 'pool' of tips to be shared with others.

But thats perhaps the most contentious issue as I don't believe that any of the tips actually go to the background staff, just the waiters and cabin stewards.

Lots of folk seem to leave the auto tips on in the belief that the background staff will get a share, but my research suggests that they dont. These very same people often post on here criticising those that remove the tips, when they themselves aren't necessarily correct.

The waiters/assistant waiters and cabin stewards all get to keep their tips.

However,There are "Taxes" to be paid. Not to any government body, but to the maitre d, and to the cleaner etc.

Its a small sum paid by each waiter.busboy, but the money does go to some of the people behind the scenes.

When i was "Friends" with a Maitre D, I would often stay back and eat with him and some of the dining room staff.

Just to add, What a lovely bunch they are.

On the last night,of the cruise (tip night) one senior waiter would be seated at a table, and all the waiters/busboys would call over and pay this small tax. Which in turn would be paid to the maitre d and cleaning staff.

Another "Tax" example, is when the waiter brought his tray of dirty dishes to the kitchen area, you would "Fix up" with the washing up steward,at the end of the cruise, to ensure that your dishes were cleaned, sorted and ready for the waiter to collect.If you didnt pay, in some cases the china/silver belonging to the waiter that didnt pay went "Missing".

Its a big list, that goes on, and in addition for the cabin stewards and the chinese laundry guys.

One would bring the linen in trolleys to the different decks/stations and in turn at the end of the cruise, the cabin steward would "Fix Up" with the china man whom does the laundry.

Its very much a grey area.

So if you are worried about the money that you give your waiter, Dont be

They really put up with a lot.

bless them

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn really does have the inside scoop

However,There are "Taxes" to be paid. Not to any government body, but to the maitre d, and to the cleaner etc.

Its a small sum paid by each waiter.busboy, but the money does go to some of the people behind the scenes.

When i was "Friends" with a Maitre D, I would often stay back and eat with him and some of the dining room staff.

On the last night,of the cruise (tip night) one senior waiter would be seated at a table, and all the waiters/busboys would call over and pay this small tax. Which in turn would be paid to the maitre d and cleaning staff.

Another "Tax" example, is when the waiter brought his tray of dirty dishes to the kitchen area, you would "Fix up" with the washing up steward,at the end of the cruise, to ensure that your dishes were cleaned, sorted and ready for the waiter to collect.If you didnt pay, in some cases the china/silver belonging to the waiter that didnt pay went "Missing".

Its a big list, that goes on, and in addition for the cabin stewards and the chinese laundry guys.

One would bring the linen in trolleys to the different decks/stations and in turn at the end of the cruise, the cabin steward would "Fix Up" with the china man whom does the laundry.

bless them

Well that certainly does change my perspective on the matter, thank you. I can understand why such a system isn't made public knowledge to customers. To be honest, I think that's a good system to have in place and is probably steeped in tradition.

Edited by Big Stevie

I agree.

Money is tight for us and we are considering our forthcoming Med cruise to be quite a luxury for us, compared to our usual touring caravan holidays. We are at our financial limits already.

By the time we board the ship we will be able to afford the £3.95/day/adult auto tips by offsetting it against our OBC, but this will be at the expense of one of the excursions, as we cant afford both.

One thing I can't afford to do though is to pay the tips in advance, before the price increase. So I will have to pay the new higher price. But now Im seriously thinking about removing them, and using the money for an excursion for my wife and 8 yr old son instead.

So I either pay the auto tips and miss out on an excursion, or I buy an excursion for the family instead. Maybe some of you might say that if we can't afford to pay the tips then we shouldn't be going on the cruise in the first place?

Big Stevie I would not dream of saying that.

All I will say though is if the finances are that tight, are you allowing for spending money?

Are you not having any drinks onboard?

Are you not using select dining at all?

Across all the forums the arguments are going on about this.

Like many I would prefer for all grats to be included in the price-even if the base price of the cruise went up. It would stop all these arguments and I doubt if people would be aware of the increase in price..they would just see grats included and that would keep them happy.

bless them

Very interesting! Thanks for that :)

Lynn's revelations seem to make it nonsense that money only goes to waiters and cabin stewards. Perhaps one of the reasons for introducing the auto-tip was to get rid of the antiquated procedures she describes and ensure those behind the scenes get their fair share.

Lynn's revelations seem to make it nonsense that money only goes to waiters and cabin stewards. Perhaps one of the reasons for introducing the auto-tip was to get rid of the antiquated procedures she describes and ensure those behind the scenes get their fair share.

Personally I think that the system referred to in Lynn's revelations make perfect sense, and I hope it continues. Our tips (whether auto or personal) go to a certain few, but in turn they are handed down and distributed amongst other staff.

If the laundry guys do a good job of cleaning the bedding and returning it to the cabin stewards then they in turn help the cabin stewards do their job. The cabin stewards get tips and each hand a small amount to the laundry guys. Assuming that this system works for them, then it works well for me.

In any case, I've now gone from wanting to cancel my auto tips to wanting to keep them on.

Edited by Big Stevie

Sorry to be niave but how much do people give their cabin steward at the end of the cruise? I am unsure what the etiquette is. Thanks in advance.

No set amount. entirely up to you. Some people remove the auto tips, split them and give half to waiters and half to the steward.

Some people give way over the suggested amount, because they can.

I am one of the group who leave the auto tips in place and do not tip anything over that. It saves all this ooh how much, who to.

You also have the leave auto tips in place, and tip over at the end in cash-so really tipping these people twice. How much to tip over-entirely up to you, as it will be over and above what is suggested.

Sorry to be niave but how much do people give their cabin steward at the end of the cruise? I am unsure what the etiquette is. Thanks in advance.

Total tips per day, £3.95, rising to £5.00 in May. These are divided about equally between the cabin steward and the MDR waiters about £2.50 to each. If you leave the Auto tips on that is how they will be shared out.

17 cabins per steward

34 passengers

£2.50 per person = £85 per day

30 days per month = £2,250

8 months contract = £20, 400

Mmm, makes you think!.

Your figures assume everyone pays the full amount, which I guess is quite unlikely so the actual amount will be much less. However it will still be well above what they could earn back home, but however much they "earn", it is no excuse for some passengers to opt out at the expense of those that do pay.

Your figures assume everyone pays the full amount, which I guess is quite unlikely so the actual amount will be much less. However it will still be well above what they could earn back home, but however much they "earn", it is no excuse for some passengers to opt out at the expense of those that do pay.

Which is why it should be compulsory or subsumed into the price of the cruise.

17 cabins per steward

34 passengers

£2.50 per person = £85 per day

30 days per month = £2,250

8 months contract = £20, 400

Mmm, makes you think!.

They also have to pay their assistant and give their 'tips' to any other helpers - particularly on change over days. Also, as said, not everyone will give a tip.

mmmmmm,

the amount of money may sound very generous on paper, but in reality not every passenger tips, not everyone tips what they are required to tip, and you also have to factor the hours per day per week.

The guys have to work seven days a week, and at least 70 hours per week.

On that assumption, the hourly rate is a lot less that one would think.

They deserve every penny.

Lynn has a very big heart.

I cannot answer that question, but the typically the type of passenger on Cunard is totally different that that on a P&O cruise ship.

With the exception of off peak times, and special offers, Cunard is by far the better known, better loyaly, and better "Brand".

Dont you think ?

Lynn is a Legend !!

I cannot answer that question, but the typically the type of passenger on Cunard is totally different that that on a P&O cruise ship.

With the exception of off peak times, and special offers, Cunard is by far the better known, better loyaly, and better "Brand".

Dont you think ?

Does that mean we are inferior to the Cunard passengers:eek:

I`m on those passengers that doesnt tip and I know a few people that dont pay tips either...

I`m on holiday, I dont want to be worrying about giving out envelopes left right and centre...

I will happily go to reception and ask for it to be removed...

Do I feel guilty for it... No

Does that mean we are inferior to the Cunard passengers:eek:

If you purchase a Kia, and expect the same interior, style, power as a BMW, I think you may be disapointed.

being inferior is not a term I would use in any conversation.

Its not a nice word to use in general terms.

I`m on those passengers that doesnt tip and I know a few people that dont pay tips either...

I`m on holiday, I dont want to be worrying about giving out envelopes left right and centre...

I will happily go to reception and ask for it to be removed...

Do I feel guilty for it... No

Do you go out of you way to ask others if they dont tip ?

Does it make you feel better if they dont ?

Lynn is not cheap