Bum’s rush last full day of cruise

I would think, especially on the last night they wouldn't throw out an almost empty bottle of shampoo. As long as there is another bottle on the counter, why would they? Same as for the bar of soap.

I would try to squeeze out last drop of shampoo before opening a new bottle, again especially on the last night or last morning of the cruise.

Well, there is definitely a judgment call involved, and I would be very surprised to get a complaint that I cleaned out the toiletries if I (as a person who cleans rooms for a living) thought that they were at the end of their useful life. "The steward didn't throw out my empty bottle of shampoo that had one last drop in it" could just as easily be the complaint received. What I don't buy is the argument that this was somehow an unpardonable sin or to be unexpected.

Maybe there is a statistic that says some people do not shower on the departure day until they get to a hotel or their other destination... or they shower the night before. There's always a lot of hustle and bustle getting ready to leave the ship. It wouldn't be illogical for people to take a shower before going to bed so they don't have to take so much time getting ready in the morning.

If that's the case then replacing some of the stuff the night before might save them a few nanoseconds in the morning. I'm still not sure I think it would be worth the trouble.

The robes are a different story. If someone is doing a bunch of rooms, packing around a lot of robes in the "morning" may take several trips and if they have time the night before to put them out that seems fair. I think it's a mixed bag though. I never really wanted to use the robe before, but now that I know someone else has access to it before I even show up I'll be sure not to use it even more :)

Tom

I would think, especially on the last night they wouldn't throw out an almost empty bottle of shampoo. As long as there is another bottle on the counter, why would they? Same as for the bar of soap.

I would try to squeeze out last drop of shampoo before opening a new bottle, again especially on the last night or last morning of the cruise.

It just didn't make sense to us to have the Celebrity toiletries in our shower disposed of the day before departure, when we still had ample opportunity to use them. This was maybe our 25th cruise, and I don't recall a cabin steward ever making a judgment call as to whether or not to throw out partially used toiletries. We're capable of doing that ourselves, and it would be silly to open up new toiletries for one use.

Yeah, that is a little weird. Even if they put the new stuff in over to the side so they don't have to pack so much stuff around the next morning, leaving the old stuff wouldn't hurt.

Maybe they were trying to impress you with fresh new stuff to use or take with you so you would be more inclined to leave extra tips?

Tom

It just didn't make sense to us to have the Celebrity toiletries in our shower disposed of the day before departure, when we still had ample opportunity to use them. This was maybe our 25th cruise, and I don't recall a cabin steward ever making a judgment call as to whether or not to throw out partially used toiletries. We're capable of doing that ourselves, and it would be silly to open up new toiletries for one use.

Maybe they collect all the bottles with a few drops of shampoo or body wash left and decant it into clean bottles, which they seal and pass off as new.

Anything for the bottom line. :cool:

I hope you are not saying they repackage the soaps as well.:eek:

Edited by MicCanberra

Unfortunately some cruisers are like vultures waiting to scavenge what ever that can get their digits on. These people kipe what ever that they can get their hands on. For that the reason for things being placed in their proper location, locked, removed, etc.

A waiter told me that salt and pepper shakers regularly disappear, as to the table number displays. Classy clientele on these ships

A waiter told me that salt and pepper shakers regularly disappear, as to the table number displays. Classy clientele on these ships

That is why they remove them after mains (entrees for the US) and before dessert. :D

I will never complete my full set of table numbers now.:(

My only complaint about the new bathrobes on the last night when we came back from dinner was that there were 2 of them. For us there was only one! Husband wouldn't use one anyway, but the point was there was only one.

A basketball coach at a univerisity advised his players not steal any towels, sheets, pilows and etc when staying at a hotel. He said that they represent the univerisity and should show more class by taking the TV's. :D

happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

My only complaint about the new bathrobes on the last night when we came back from dinner was that there were 2 of them. For us there was only one! Husband wouldn't use one anyway, but the point was there was only one.

We have had that happen before. I took the robe the last night, and then caught my DH trying to put our luggage out in the hall in his shorts :eek: because he couldn't find his robe.

Seriously? I just don't understand that. They would probably try to pass the shakers off as being from the Titanic. :rolleyes:

I have heard of people taking each days menus, as well.

The worst we experienced was the last breakfast in the MDR. There was no service at all. They give you the express breakfast which was scrambled egg and sausage. We tried to get toast but that never happened. We saw tables around us not cleaned off. It certainly left us with a bad taste. Not the best impression. I think next time we will settle for Danish in the Elite waiting area. The buffet is also crazy on the last day. Very disappointing :(

We have noticed some of the same things the OP mentioned, but not to the same extent. We have a simple solution. On the last day we start our packing in the afternoon, so there are frequently suitcases or personal items piled on the bed when we go out for dinner. Once we start our packing, we leave the Do Not Disturb sign out, whether or not we are in the cabin that evening. We tell the steward we don't need turn down service on that last night. When we come back to the cabin for the night, we finish our packing and leave the suitcases outside. We also leave the DND on the door when we go for breakfast on the last morning, so he knows we aren't finished in our cabin yet. This has worked for us. He gets an evening off and our stuff is where we have left it.

The ending should be as welcoming as the beginong. This should be a training issue. Dining room and room stewards.

Since the observations of these types of things is so wide spread my guess, at least as far as the room stewards are concerned, is that is how they are trained. If you want this to change then directions must come from corporate to change how stewards' are instructed on what to do that last day/evening.

Maybe there was only going to be one guest staying in that room for the next cruise?

This is really kind of silly. A cruise ship is not like a hotel where everyone is coming and going at different times. The vast majority arrive and leave at approximately the same time. There has to be some accommodation by the passengers to make it possible for you to get on board early and stay as late as reasonably possible. How about some common sense and basic consideration for those who are trying to do their jobs.:rolleyes:

I worked for a high end cruise line in the 1980s, and they couldn't keep the iced tea spoons in stock. I guess people slid them up their tuxedo sleeves since they wouldn't have fit in an evening bag.

One time the Hotel Manager filled in, short term, with plastic ice tea spoons, and there was a big uproar about how standards were slipping.

Passengers also swiped a ton of the cute little Norwegian porcelain jars the bartenders used to serve peanuts. I see them on ebay now & then.

We have been on 30 cruises and it has been the last two X ones that have left me disappointed with the day of disembarkation. I am wondering if the change in the management has changed things. We have been on 8 celebrity cruises. Last year we took our adult children on Carnival and found last morning in the MDR the same as every other day. That was a very nice experience in Comparison to X. I hope X is reading this. We will be on the Silhouette in April again so I am hoping for a better experience.