Is Avalon a good choice?

puzzums

I think many are happy with Viking because they know no comparisons.

It may not have been intended (I hope) but I feel quite insulted by that.

We include Regent in our ocean cruise lines and picked Viking for our China trip due to the many excellent reviews and could not have been happier with the result.

On that basis we picked Viking again for the Mekong.

To suggest that we simple don't know any better is very inappropriate.

It may not have been intended (I hope) but I feel quite insulted by that.

We include Regent in our ocean cruise lines and picked Viking for our China trip due to the many excellent reviews and could not have been happier with the result.

On that basis we picked Viking again for the Mekong.

To suggest that we simple don't know any better is very inappropriate.

I agree. The post was quite condescending toward Viking and Avalon fans.

Every review that I have found, is colored by the reviewers background. There will be people who swear that Viking has the best customer service and others who say Vantage let them down. What their expectations are vs. what they actually get is the big issue. Finding a neutral reviewer, much like Consumer Reports, here at Cruise Critic is very difficult. We all want to think that our decisions that were correct for us should be followed by all others while reality is that we are all individuals with different needs and desires. Thus the many choices that we face as to which product to finally purchase. I try to keep an open mind and not worry about who is "better" because my need is to enjoy life at this moment because it could be my last moment.

I think many are happy with Viking because they know no comparisons.

Different strokes for different folks.

Nice to have choices.

I didn't take this as an insult to those that like Viking (but then, I've not sailed on Viking... or any line yet!). Because of its advertising, when you think "river cruise," the majority of the U.S. population will likely think of Viking. I had no idea there were so many companies offering river cruises until I checked out CC. So that lack of knowledge on my part is how I viewed this comment.

To me the comment is applicable to anyone that's cruised only one line. Personally I'd love to try them all, but those repeat customer bonuses are a draw. But I'm always looking for a deal and am open to whatever line has something good! A week-long cruise in France for $2000 PP including air on Viking? Heck, yeah, I'd take that if I had the vacation time!

I think that many become fans of the first river cruise line they experience, if indeed they do enjoy river cruising as a vacation. For us, that was not the case but we seem to be the exception.

We are trying Uniworld for the first time soon and I imagine we will enjoy it overall, once we get past the decor, which is not to our taste. We know the itinerary has a lot to offer based on what we enjoy on vacation. Whether we enjoy the Uniworld experience as much as we have our AMA cruises remains to be seen.

I have traveled with both - would travel with both again. (Leaving tomorrow for the Elbe with Viking - looking at the Rhine with Avalon for a future cruise....)

One benefit with Avalon is the ability to purchase in CDN dollars - something that is quite important right now with the CDN $ being low.

Also - you won't have to pay "now" when you book with Avalon.

Enjoy your planning!!

Fran

viking is now quoting in Canadian dollars, at very reasonable competitive exchange rate. i have heard from some people that you can "negotiate" a payment schedule, possibly if you are a repeat customer (not sure how many cruises necessary to have under your belt) and/or have an expensive, lengthy cruise light years away from sailing date! :p

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

other than here on forms you can click on reviews then river cruises. Looks like overall they cruise line is liked by 86% thats good. Your personal ship isn't listed yet. I always check out room size, how big, layout and reviews before I choose a line or ship. Hope this help you out some.

We started our Amsterdam to BudPest cruise this week on the Avalon Vista. This is the ship that have to have the engine replaced. We were about 30 hours delayed but Avalon has done a great job in keeping us informed and making the best of a difficult situation. We were put up in a great hotel for the night and then took a high speed train to Frankfurt and then a bus to meet up with the Vista in Wurzburg. We missed touring Coloogne but we did some backtracking so we would not miss the Rhine gorge castles. We will be getting monetary compensation as well as additional include excursions to make up for what we have missed. We couldn't be happier that we chose Avalon for our 1st river cruise!

We started our Amsterdam to BudPest cruise this week on the Avalon Vista. This is the ship that have to have the engine replaced. We were about 30 hours delayed but Avalon has done a great job in keeping us informed and making the best of a difficult situation. We were put up in a great hotel for the night and then took a high speed train to Frankfurt and then a bus to meet up with the Vista in Wurzburg. We missed touring Coloogne but we did some backtracking so we would not miss the Rhine gorge castles. We will be getting monetary compensation as well as additional include excursions to make up for what we have missed. We couldn't be happier that we chose Avalon for our 1st river cruise!

Here's hoping that your satisfaction level is the same at the end of your cruise. Based on your post, seems likely it will. And if that keeps you going back to Avalon to the exclusion of other lines, terrific! Enjoy.

Edited by CPT Trips

I am happy that many of the newbies and seasoned river travelers that choose Viking have been satisfied. River cruising is not inexpensive and we all look forward to a great trip. In the perfect world, all would go well with each scheduled river cruise. But as we know, that is not always the case. I still am firmly of the opinion that the true mark of a good River Cruise Company is how they handle adversity when water issues arise.

Below are some not so happy Viking river cruise customers with how their cruises and Customer service was handled by Viking during very recent water issues. I feel like I am reading the same negative Viking Customer Service complaints as when I first started river cruising in 2010. Just confirms for me personally why I would never choose Viking as a river cruise. I am happy with Avalon but certainly not married to them. If service ever were to change for me, then I would happily look elsewhere….but never to Viking. It is chronic unsatisfactory Customer Service that is seen regularly on these CC Boards when Mother Nature and her high/low water issues arise. You judge for yourself in making your selections.

As written on the River Cruise Advisor:

MPickett • a day ago

We were also on the May 6-13 cruise on the Viking Delling. We got the notification about the high waters on the Rhone and Sonne Rivers on the way to the airport. It is our understanding that Viking was aware that the rising waters would impact our trip a week before the event. I am very disappointed in the way they handled this situation. The first two nights we were in a Novotel hotel in Avignon. The food was inferior to what we expected. We've been home a week and have not heard anything from Viking. I would never recommend a Viking Cruise to anyone.

• Reply•Share ›

Maynard Bell • 11 days ago

Just got back to the USA after the cruise that only cruised for 3.5 hours (Viking Delling May 6-13 Southern France). Was informed of high water contingencies by Viking late the night before departure-- already in Europe too late to cancel. Disappointed with Viking's handling of contingency. Did not get the value that I paid for. Waiting to see what if anything Viking will do to compensate.

• 2 months later...

The reason people talk about Viking is that they see it all the time in the opening minute of Downton Abbey.

We loved our Rhine/Moselle cruise on Avalon last year. In October we're doing Vienna to Amsterdam on Avalon. We wouldn't book again with the same line if we weren't thrilled the first time.

Kenster, I fully agree. Wishing you a great cruise with them in October, my favorite time of year to river cruise.

We are doing the Christmas Markets this December on the Avalon Vista ( Prague to Basel). Our 4th with Avalon and our friends 1st.

So hoping for good weather and maybe some snow. We want our friends to enjoy river cruising on Avalon as much as we do.

As I have posted previously, Avalon is our choice until proven to not be a good choice. I don't anticipate that happening.[emoji6]

We just got off of the Tauck Savor. Sometimes river boats tie up next to each other and you have to walk through another ship to get to the shore.

We walked through a couple of Avalons and thought they looked very nice. Obviously can't speak about the service but the physical ships we walked through looked to be close to what we had with Tauck (which was excellent).

We just got off of the Tauck Savor. Sometimes river boats tie up next to each other and you have to walk through another ship to get to the shore.

We walked through a couple of Avalons and thought they looked very nice. Obviously can't speak about the service but the physical ships we walked through looked to be close to what we had with Tauck (which was excellent).

Tauck has a great reputation and everyone I know who has traveled with them on river cruises or land tours has been quite happy. If I were to choose an all-inclusive river cruise line, it would definitely be Tauck. We have used them for a land tour in Ireland and were very satisfied. Happy that they did not disappoint you. I personally have not been thru any of their river boats.

Good news that you thought the interior of the Avalon boat looked very nice. We have been on the Panorama and several of their older river boats (Tranquility and Affinity). Love the design of the newer vessels with the bed facing out to the river. Have always had excellent service!

Since you're asking about Avalon in general, read my thoughts on our recent cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2250383

Even though it's not the same itinerary, it'll give you an idea of how they run things. IMO, they are an excellent company that stands behind their product - even when something goes wrong. They'll be there for you through good and bad unlike some other companies. Make a choice for yourself though - everyone has different requirements, wants, desires, etc. and there's a cruise line for everyone.

• 1 year later...
Hello,

My travel agent is enticing me to join a group he's leading for a 13-day Mekong River cruise on the brand new Avalon Siem Reap river boat. When I hear about river cruising (never done one) I always hear Viking come up. Is Avalon a quality company comparable to the good things I hear about Viking?

Also, does anyone know what kind of temperatures and typical weather to expect in that area in January?

Thanks!

Did you decide to take the Mekong River Cruise on the Avalon Siem Reap boat?! We make final payment today for our December tour! So excited :-) If you did travel we would love to hear about your experience!

Dave

Kelowna, BC

Canada

puzzums, which Avalon Mekong are you doing in January? We just booked the 1/15/16 Avalon, Fantastic Vietnam, Cambodia, Mekong and Ha Long Bay from Hanoi to Siem Reap. this will be our first time with Avalon, have done 6 river cruises with Viking and loved them but we like the small new Avalon ship and small group size.

I totally disagree that Viking is the Carnival of river cruises, they've always done a very good and satisfying job as far as we're concerned and we've enjoyed everyone of our travels with them. As a matter of fact we're booked on Viking Grand European this May.

Don't let anyone dissuade you if you think Viking is a good fit for you. Same thing for Avalon, AMA, Vantage, etc. go with what you feel will work best for you.

Enjoy your travels.

Looks like we are booked on the same tour! We depart December 9 for Bangkok and will be joining the Avalon Siem Reap ship in Siem Reap on December 15th. We have done many ocean cruises, however this will be our first river experience! Do you have any recommendations in respect to clothing? We are hoping to pack light! If there is any info you would like us to pass along after our experience, just let me know!

Dave

Kelowna, BC

Canada

Clothing advice.....we did this trip mid January 2016 and it was much hotter than we anticipated - as a result we had several showers daily and clothes changes. Hanoi was cool, in the upper 69's but once we left there temps increased lots.

Shoes - you'll be doing lots of walking, be sure to being comfy shoes, on the ship you'll be asked to remove your shoes when returning where they will be cleaned so is suggest something that can be wiped off and brushed, you'll encounter lots of dust if the conditions are dry as they were when we traveled.

Maybe bring a wash cloth from home to wet and out in a ziplock Baggie to carry in your backpack when touring.

A hat as the sun was brutal.

I brought several thin tee shirts and cotton capris for touring, wish I'd have brought more light weight clothing.

People did tend to change for evening and some did dress up a but nowhere what you're used to with big ship cruising. most wore casual clothing for dinner.

I'd bring hand sanitizer, bug spray like

OFF or similar and sunscreen also. Better safe than sorry.

If you have any other questions let me know. It was a wonderful experience that I'm sure you'll enjoy.