Lunch 1st day on board

DevilinaBluDress

First time Celebrity cruiser looking for your tips. On an S class ship, where do you like to eat lunch? I've seen on this board that most eat at the Oceanview lunch buffet and a few eat at Bistro on 5. Anyone prefer the Aqua Café? Are there other venues open for lunch or snack when you board?

First time Celebrity cruiser looking for your tips. On an S class ship, where do you like to eat lunch? I've seen on this board that most eat at the Oceanview lunch buffet and a few eat at Bistro on 5. Anyone prefer the Aqua Café? Are there other venues open for lunch or snack when you board?

There's the Mast Grill, and on Silhouette and Reflection they have the Porch.

I used to like the Aqua Spa Café for lunch on the day of embarkation, but they changed their menus and no longer have the grilled tuna, chicken, salmon, and loin chop. It's gone down hill as far as I'm concerned.

We had planned to eat in Bistro on five. It wasn't open when we went - too early - and you couldn't reserve a table.

Went up to Oceanview and fell on the buffet. Very nice and something for the fussiest of eaters. (NOT ME)

We liked the buffet. Never got to the grill for a burger but it was in my plan. Too many temptations elsewhere.

I also used to like the Aqua spa cafe. I don't like the changes recently, plus I don't like the extra charges for things that used to be included. The Mast Grill does great burgers. Although, to be honest, we are not usually bothered about lunch on the first day - we are saving ourselves for dinner!

There's the Mast Grill, and on Silhouette and Reflection they have the Porch.

I used to like the Aqua Spa Café for lunch on the day of embarkation, but they changed their menus and no longer have the grilled tuna, chicken, salmon, and loin chop. It's gone down hill as far as I'm concerned.

Eating out at the Mast Grill, with a pina colada or beer, in the sun is the best way to start the holiday, or drop in to the Oceanview and find a table, and enjoy the sun,sea before sailaway

Julie

We switch around depending on the weather(except we don't go to the buffet). We love Bistro on Five for lunch, but on our last TA, the weather was so nice that we grabbed some loungers by the pool and got lunch from the Mast Grill.

Where exactly on the ship is the Mast Grill located?

Oops, Deck 14 one end the Oceanview Cafe, the Mast Bar & Grill at the other end .....not level 14, I check out the deck plans always like to get my bearings before boarding. Happy cruising.....

Julie

Day 1 it's a bit of a downer going to the buffet. We have been going to Bistro on 5 which is great but on the "first day" it is a little to subdued for me. I'm going to try the Mast Grill for a change......

Edited by Shake

It depends on what you feel like eating at that time. If you're looking for burgers and fries, the Mast Bar & Grill would be a good choice. If it's a Panini and soup, Bistro on Five is great ($5.00 charge per person). For a great selection of many different items, go to the Oceanview Cafe. This is usually the busiest of the three mentioned.

We have tried them all, but tend to prefer Bistro on Five only because it's a great place to relax, and the food is good. My opinion is that you won't go wrong anywhere you go. There are many options. If you don't like one of them, just go somewhere else. After all, you're on a cruise....;)

Bistro on 5 has gone up to a $7 per person cover charge. In my opinion, on the S Class ships with the buffet islands, the Oceanview Cafe is a great place for lunch. Minimal lines and lots to chose from. We like to get a drink and just relax somewhere else on the ship until the announcement is made that the cabins are ready. The Oceanview Cafe then clears out of the people who were not eating but just sitting with their carry-on luggage waiting for the announcement. That's generally at 1-1:30 and then you will have no trouble finding a table.

Just a word of caution to be saving yourself for dinner. If one has the beverage package, or even if one doesn't but is celebrating sail away et al....it is wise to have some lunch.

Not that it "should" matter it's $7 whole dollars these days at the Bistro on 5.

Probably why these venues are so nice, I've seen my share of squeakers walk out over that on Bistro on 5 and The Porch. :confused:

We really enjoyed lunch at the Porch after boarding the Reflection in Miami a couple of years ago, and will have lunch on our first day (assuming the day is nice) on our first day on the Silhouette next month.

It's just so nice to outside (sort of!), enjoying the view of Miami or FLL, and having our first beverage package drinks!

Any of you Porch diners -

what do you like to have here? This is my plan so far for our first day on the Silhouette next month.

Love Bistro - but it takes so long - cuts into my ship exploration time!

I have never waited as long for service as I did at the Porch, made Bistro look like fast food--haven't been back since, so hopefully YMWV.

I really like hearing everyone's favorite strategies! Thanks for the tips. Three weeks till we sail on the Equinox.

We have always gone to the buffet and just wait there until the cabins are ready. There is no need for us to throw cash away for the first meal. The buffet food is normally pretty good and a festive way to start the cruise. Of course we try to arrive early and secure a table.