Are D+ still admitted to Concierge Lounge?

I beg to differ. The wine is exactly the same cheap swill they serve at the welcome back party. There may be many bottles lining the shelves, but with rare exceptions I've only seen St. Martin chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon and merlot plus either Danzante or Zonin (?) Pinot Grigio. And IMO the St. Martin stuff is worse than the La Terre, if such a thing is possible.

The hard liquor choices are limited to Smirnoff vodka, Jack Daniels, Tanqueray and Dewar's. They have a Bailey's knock-off (some still have the real deal).

I've seen only Heineken, Amstel Light and Bud Light for beer.

A creative bartender can make a reasonable facsimile of a Cosmo or Lemon Drop, but not all will do it. If I can't get a glass of the Pinot, I'll have one of those and then go in search of a glass of good wine elsewhere. I'm willing to pay for it.

Oops, you seem to have forgotten a few like rum, Cuervo Gold Tequila and Courvoisier. Not sure if I've forgotten a few but if I don't drink them they don't matter:o:eek::D

True! However one of the concerns being expressed is the worry that the D+ might eventually lose CL access. If that happens, extending CL access to C & A members with accumulated points somewhere in the 350 to 500 point range would seem to be a smart move. It is one heck of a long way between the 175 points requited for D+ and the 700 required for P. A member with 525 points is a triple D+.

Like I said, I really don't care about assigning arbitrary names. I'm not sure why they did it last time with Emerald. OTOH, if it's going to make people happy, sure.

I don't the CL should be accessed by anyone other than suite guests. Call it the suite lounge if you have to, but it should be comfortable enough to accommodate the suite guests. C&A guests just add to overcrowding.

Like I said, I really don't care about assigning arbitrary names. I'm not sure why they did it last time with Emerald. OTOH, if it's going to make people happy, sure.

I don't the CL should be accessed by anyone other than suite guests. Call it the suite lounge if you have to, but it should be comfortable enough to accommodate the suite guests. C&A guests just add to overcrowding.

If rumors are true and I've heard a rumor that this rumor was, emerald was to be a 550 points. Somehow the proof reader didn't catch the slipup. I understand your logic that the CL should only be for suite guest but think it might be a very boring place especially on the older ships that only have a handful of suites. Obviously, as you suggest, inviting C & A members adds to the overcrowding and most lounges cannot comfortably accommodate all of the present D+ members. But they can and, I my opinion, should accommodate Pinnacle and senior D+ members

Edited by Don Pedro

But they can and, I my opinion, should accommodate Pinnacle and senior D+ members

They can...by having them purchase a suite. ;-)

I'm guessing any restrictions will unlikely not apply to Pinnacle members. Not sure what senior D+ is, but I would hope they don't expand access any more than they have to.

Make the non suite lounge more attractive and this could be a non issue.

If rumors are true and I've heard a rumor that this rumor was, emerald was to be a 550 points. Somehow the proof reader didn't catch the slipup. I understand your logic that the CL should only be for suite guest but think it might be a very boring place especially on the older ships that only have a handful of suites. Obviously, as you suggest, inviting C & A members adds to the overcrowding and most lounges cannot comfortably accommodate all of the present D+ members. But they can and, I my opinion, should accommodate Pinnacle and senior D+ members

While the range from D+ to pinnacle is large ( and that was intentional to recognize those loyal to RCCL) I suspect that any perks will either include or exclude all D+. Face it, at this point, there is little or no incentive for the company to make a new D+ category. If they do, they will have to come up with new benefits, Those of us with 340, 350, 525 already get additional benefits. I've also heard the rumor that the Emerald was to be a higher category AND I heard it on CC so it must have been true! :D

I realize that some benefits may change and that is OK. Throughout the years, there have been lots of changes in the cruising world, and we've all survived. Years ago (maybe 20-25) RCCL used to offer small yellow bird drinks - complimentary - when you got on the ship. Then one cruise - it stopped. Life went on. Remember hats, toiletry bags, totes, photo frames , chocolates, pens and paper, gift baskets. (OK - I really miss the pens and paper and now have it included in my packing list.) We also had more rules and fewer options. You were assigned dining time and table (and ate all the meals at that table) and dressed as directed. Now we have options , so some change might be considered for the better.

Heck on our last cruise ( 2 weeks ago) there was a check in line for Pinnacle and suites , then ONE line for gold UP TO D+ and one for all others. 3 check in lines that is all. It was still "priority" check in but some might consider that a decline in benefits. It was really no big deal.

Will we see changes - you bet. Some for the worse and hopefully a some for the better.

M

Just to add a bit to this thread, I'll share my experience on Jewel week before last. As most of you likely know, she's one of the few left without an official DL. Only a small CL on deck 10.

D+ were still welcomed into the CL, and it was only crowded for that first hour before early dinner. After that it was lightly populated.

They had a Diamond Event, although at this point we may as well call it a Diamond Lounge without the signs. It was nightly in the Hollywood Odyssey. The bar menu was the same as in the CL. Many D+ were up there (including my peeps) because it has a real bar and a better view.

It seems that the old Diamond Events with just the wine and soda are gone. It's certainly a change for the better for the Diamond members. My last time on Jewel in 2013 had the CL overflow in the Vortex, and a Diamond Event with just wine in another area.

Edited by DarthGrady

Don't know how this is clear, but you would be wrong.

Note that I did originally post IMO ("In My Opinion" - your mileage may vary). But (similarly IMO), the beer offered is the cheapest and tasteless of beers in the world, and though some qualify as a beer in Germany, most include corn and rice as more than 50% of their fermentable bill, and wouldn't qualify as a beer in Germany (they have strict beer laws). No wonder that it accounts for less than 10% of what they serve.

The available wine is usually the least expensive, and has often been found to not be sold in California (certainly a decent wine should be commonly available in California wine stores). On my last cruise, the Pino Grigio was passible, but the Cabernet and Pino Noir wasn't worth the price they charge in the lounges. And the sparkling wines were in no way as good as the Pino Grigio they served.

I've been known to have an occasional Dewars in the lounge also making it passible, and after a couple of those, the Pino Grigio becomes much better. But the spirits offered are often the least expensive (though if having vodka or gin with any mixer, the "quality" of the spirit begins to not matter).

Don't typically drink those either, and as it is usually the same spiel, I haven't been to one in years.

Not at all like going to the other bars, as the lounges certainly doesn't have the selection available in Vintages. Nor does it provide the beers offered in the pub or the better Scotches.

There is significantly less variety in the lounges than in the pub or Vintages. To believe otherwise effectively suggests that you are OK with what I consider poor quality beverages. That's OK, though, as to each their own. For me the vacation is too short to not have the beverages that I prefer, even if I pay the bar price.

If you want to hear about the quality of the drinks in the lounges, just search this forum, as there have been a number that agree the selection of free wine is not that great.

As I stated (and this is my preference, everyone else gets to make their own choices): I would prefer to go to one of the bars and pay for the drink I want to have that I feel is better, then to be served something free that is not to my liking as it is not that significant of an extra cost compared to what I paid for my vacation.

zzz,zzzzzz,zzzzz....oh sorry was starting to nod off...OK.... :rolleyes:

100% agreement here.....always in a suite and also a "higher" D+....The five cruises we have been on so far this year has been a veritable ghost town in the CL. Very few Pinnacles onboard and seems like many of the suite guests have other things to do during happy hour....:confused::)....K.O.

• 1 month later...
I think that's where Royal is going. How long did it take to get diamond lounges on all the ships? (are they on all the ships now?) That might be an indicator of long it will take to get suite lounges on all the ships.

I think that they are on all ships but 1 or 2 now. No DL (or CL) on the Majesty OTS. The Jewel OTS has a CL but I do not think is has a DL.

Edited by actuarian

I think that they are on all ships but 1 or 2 now. No DL (or CL) on the Majesty OTS. The Jewel OTS has a CL but I do not think is has a DL.

You are correct about Concierge Lounges, however the discussion is about Suite Lounges. So far, only Oasis and Allure have a Suite Lounge. It is is available only for those with a Gold Seapass card.

You are correct about Concierge Lounges, however the discussion is about Suite Lounges. So far, only Oasis and Allure have a Suite Lounge. It is is available only for those with a Gold Seapass card.

Actually, the original was about DLs: "How long did it take to get diamond lounges on all the ships? (are they on all the ships now?)". However, Oasis and Allure (and Harmony) have Suite Lounges, apparently because they are so big that it was getting difficult to properly serve the large number of suite guests in the old CL (which is now the DL) and because RCCL made deck 17 a private area for gold card passengers (like that other cruise line's "Haven"). However, the Ovation (completed after they replaced the Oasis CL with the SL) has a Concierge Club (which still serves D+ members) and does not have a Suite Lounge. So that might suggest that RCCL has no current plans to build Suite Lounges or replace Concierge Lounges in ships that are smaller than Oasis Class.

Actually, the original was about DLs: "How long did it take to get diamond lounges on all the ships? (are they on all the ships now?)". However, Oasis and Allure (and Harmony) have Suite Lounges, apparently because they are so big that it was getting difficult to properly serve the large number of suite guests in the old CL (which is now the DL) and because RCCL made deck 17 a private area for gold card passengers (like that other cruise line's "Haven"). However, the Ovation (completed after they replaced the Oasis CL with the SL) has a Concierge Club (which still serves D+ members) and does not have a Suite Lounge. So that might suggest that RCCL has no current plans to build Suite Lounges or replace Concierge Lounges in ships that are smaller than Oasis Class.

I agree. I was responding to a post that was responding to a post[emoji54]. Think I got lost at some point.

I am confused. The Ovation is not completed. :confused: :confused: :confused: