Which Cruise Line Has Best Food?

Lovincruisin1321

We have pretty much given up expecting good food in the MDR on any of the main players, we can't afford the upmarket lines. The food and service we had with Cunard was so laughably bad we just ended up we gave up on the main dining room completely. We already have the 5 speciality restaurant deal booked for our cruise in November but hope were presently suprised.

So far we've found the food on the Eclipse to be very good. I can't say about the other ships of Celebrity. Murano & Qsine were excellent. Some may find Qsine to be to eclectic, so if you're a "meat & potatoes" type it's probably beyond your grasp. As to Cunard, we always had very good food on the QM2. The Grills hands down was the best we've ever had at sea. Never a problem going "off" menu if we wished. The QV was much more standard in Britannia. Eclipse was head over heels above them in the mdr.

Well, some of us "live for food" rather then the other way round :). For DW and moi, food/cuisine is an important part of our lives and travel planning. And we have passed this down to DD who has sometimes spent entire days (in Europe) at cooking schools or with restaurant chef's who give lessons.

But you are correct that one must lower their standards for the banquet-style food provided in the MDR's of large cruise ships (which is a good reason to cruise on small ships). But lines such as Celebrity do provide other options such as Blu or the other alternative dining venues.

Hank

We're both in the food industry, so we love dining out a fine restaurants. The Eclipse has been pretty good compared to most mass market lines. Probably the best of the larger lines. Still a little short of the premium lines like Oceania. Cunard's Queens Grill is still by far our favorite. I think some pax should try the new Viking ships that are coming out soon. Their river cruises are excellent. Their new sea cruise line should shake things up a bit in the premium area.

Ahhh, so lets migrate to one of my favorite Princess subjects which is "Princess Pizza." Once upon a time there was a wonderful Italian cruise line called Sitmar who had Pizzerias on their ships. They were staffed by real Italian pizza chefs, had great pizza, and were fun. Then Sitmar was bought-out by Princess and quickly changed all their ships to Princess ships (i.e. the Fairsky became the Fair Princess......). Most of the Italian crew was fired (or did not have their contracts renewed) and within a few months all those old Sitmar ships were truly Princess. But lo and behold, somebody at Princess HQ had the good sense to keep-up the Sitmar pizza tradition. And now, we think that Princess still has the best pizza at sea! DW and I are pretty sophisticated diners and feel at home at the best restaurants as well as the cheapest tacos places in Puerto Vallarta (our winter home). But when we go on Princess our mouths are watering (before we even get off the gangway) for that Princess Pizza. On our most recent Princess cruise (the Ruby) DW and I immediately grabbed a slice of pizza at that first lunch :).

Hank

Thank you Hank, I did not remember this history with Princess amazing pizza. Although it has been forever I do remember the great princess pizza. That is why when I finally tasted great pizza on the Summit, which topped every other X cruise, I became hopeful. :)

Thanks all who participated in this discussion.

I am a mid-$ cruiser....Royal, NCL, Celebrity and Princess (which I haven't tried). Although it's been suggested to cruise with the higher end lines which would have better food, that's just not in the budget.

One observation that was stated many times is that the shorter five-day cruises do now provide the same dining experience as the longer days. Perhaps that's true but my first Celebrity cruise was a 7-day Western Caribbean and the menus were varied and outstanding.

At least from what I have read and personally observed and I will use Celebrity as my example, if you pay to be in the higher class such as Elite, then you get the benefit of dining in the Blu Restaurant that will have a nicer menu, presentation and service.

Other than that, the "Regular Cruisers" do have options of dining in the Specialty Restaurants for $25/pp. I have a problem with this. Yes, I have dined in these restaurants and had a very nice meal and experience but that was six years ago when my MDR food and experience was very nice also. So why should I now have to pay extra to get the quality of food and service that use to exist? But it is what it is and that is what the cruise industry has evolved to.

Service: I understand the automatic tipping. Some do not get tipped for the outstanding service as they should but I am not a fan. I always tipped generously. I just don't see the wait staff trying as hard. Maybe we are isolated because I read many who had wonderful wait staff.

I understand now; times have changed and it is what it is. I will lower my expectations or work my way to a higher status so I too can enjoy the food and service I fondly remember.

A lot of apples and oranges comparisons here. Certainly OceanIa, Seaborn, Crystal, etc have better food. That is a no-brainer. Did anyone mention that you will pay at least $1000 per person per week extra on these lines? The real question is which mainstream cruse line has the best food and Celebrity is as good or better than most. Also, someone said it would much cheaper to eat in Specialty Restaurants every night instead of moving to a Premium Cruise line. Very true. It was pointed out that these menus do not change but with 3 or more specialty restaurants and at least 6 fantastic entrees each, you should have no problem finding something great every night. If you are a very picky eater, vegetarian, etc. you will be disappointed in ALMOST every restaurant you ever visit on land or sea.

My husband and I just came off Celebrity Constellation. HUGE disappointment with each evening meal in the MDR. Lacking flavor, presentation and variety.

We just came from my cousin's birthday dinner......

Rack of Lamb, roasted potatoes, roasted asparagus, Caesar salad paired with a very nice Pinot Noir.

Best meal we have had in a week!

Our next cruise may be based on how good the food is.

What is your feedback because I am extremely disappointed.

Opinions on food is a personal thing. What one person likes, another will dislike. (As an example: you mentioned how much you loved the lamb you had, I personally dislike lamb.)

With that said, and only commenting on the two lines if sailed on, I've enjoyed most of the food on Celebrity, with the exception of Blu. I've also enjoyed the food on Carnival for the most part, with a few minor complaints on some of the dishes. I think Celebrity has a much larger variety of of healthier options, while Carnival's pizza is the best. (I love pizza, so sue me. :P ) Celebrity's specialty restaurants are better by far. Both lines have decent buffets.

Just my 2¢. :)

I am a mid-$ cruiser....Royal, NCL, Celebrity and Princess (which I haven't tried). Although it's been suggested to cruise with the higher end lines which would have better food, that's just not in the budget.

One observation that was stated many times is that the shorter five-day cruises do now provide the same dining experience as the longer days. Perhaps that's true but my first Celebrity cruise was a 7-day Western Caribbean and the menus were varied and outstanding.

At least from what I have read and personally observed and I will use Celebrity as my example, if you pay to be in the higher class such as Elite, then you get the benefit of dining in the Blu Restaurant that will have a nicer menu, presentation and service.

Other than that, the "Regular Cruisers" do have options of dining in the Specialty Restaurants for $25/pp. I have a problem with this. Yes, I have dined in these restaurants and had a very nice meal and experience but that was six years ago when my MDR food and experience was very nice also. So why should I now have to pay extra to get the quality of food and service that use to exist? But it is what it is and that is what the cruise industry has evolved to.

Service: I understand the automatic tipping. Some do not get tipped for the outstanding service as they should but I am not a fan. I always tipped generously. I just don't see the wait staff trying as hard. Maybe we are isolated because I read many who had wonderful wait staff.

I understand now; times have changed and it is what it is. I will lower my expectations or work my way to a higher status so I too can enjoy the food and service I fondly remember.

I hope you certainly enjoy your cruises on Celebrity. I know food is so subjective and the MDR food is served to accommodate almost 1200 people at one sitting. That does not equate to having a bad meal... but it does increase the probability that your preparation was one of 1200 moving on a conveyor belt. Still the food should be of good quality so if you do not like it you can always order something different. This is your cruise.

I believe you can up the ante if you will by taking care of the wait staff from day 1 and perhaps a smaller table. All in all though I think the food is of high standards on Celebrity. We can all find faults but I like the food!

Cheers,

~Steve

I booked a 7 day Celebrity cruise for next January in Concierge class for $1099 pp which includes the Classic Beverage package, prepaid gratuities and a $600 onboard credit. That is less than I paid for our first cruise on Royal Caribbean in 1996 in an Oceanview cabin with none of the above amenities. All things being equal, this cruise should cost about $2000 per person with no amenities. Do you still think you are not getting a great deal?

I think we've now tried all the mainstream cruiselines with the exception of NCL.

I'd rate the food on X the best, followed by HAL (a close second). Service on both lines outstanding (perhaps the slight edge to HAL).

We have never dined in a speciality restaurant (except for a top chef lunch I ate at Murano - outstanding). But we dine with our children, so Murano would not be an option for us. {I think its adult only?}.

From what I have read here, SELECT dining may have had something to do with our positive experience, but overall we were very pleased with X. Hoping for the same experience when we sail Silhouette.

One of the PP mentioned $25/pp for the specialty restaruants, but isn't it double that? We might give the Lawn Club Grill and QSINE a try on our next cruise, but just maybe and only because we have a lot of OBC to spend.

I booked a 7 day Celebrity cruise for next January in Concierge class for $1099 pp which includes the Classic Beverage package, prepaid gratuities and a $600 onboard credit. That is less than I paid for our first cruise on Royal Caribbean in 1996 in an Oceanview cabin with none of the above amenities. All things being equal, this cruise should cost about $2000 per person with no amenities. Do you still think you are not getting a great deal?
You hit on something....everyone wants their cruise to be as inexpensive as they can, but they still want the same high quality food that Celebrity had in the 90's. It just isn't going to happen. We can either pay substantially higher fares and get a better quality of food (which is exactly what the luxury lines do) or pay what we are paying and get the, IMHO, good food that Celebrity is offering now.

BTW, I vote for less seasonings, especially salt!!!!!

Edited by NLH Arizona

I have been on five different cruise lines. As many say, food is very subjective and no one person can answer for your taste buds! I seriously cannot recall having a bad meal on our RCI cruises but have not been on one since our second cruise! Carnival Legend (twice) had decent food, just not a great atmosphere in the MDR. Best meal on there was the steak house! Have dined in MDR, Blu, Murano, Qsine, and Lawn Grill on Celebrity. Much prefer Blu to MDR but will be trying the MDR on our next X cruise. Not a fan of Qsine but really enjoyed both meals at the Lawn Grill on separate cruises. NCL Dawn and Star had okay meals but the dining package I had on the Getaway was great. Not a bad meal among any of their speciality restaurants. As for our last cruise on Princess, nothing wowed us, not even the Italian specialty restaurant. Mind you we didn't lose any weight so I guess the food was okay!!

snow bunny

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from 2 weeks on Century (her second to last cruise) and were pretty disappointed with the food offerings.

We were lucky enough to have a suite so had breakfast on our veranda most mornings. Which was fine but some of the hot food was not hot - it depended on how long it had been kept after arriving from the galley I suppose. And of course you can never get decent toast when it has to travel any distance. But most mornings it was just fruit and cereal for us anyway. The MDR was pretty good for breakfast and they had English bacon! Shame we didn't find that out until very late in our cruise as we would have requested it for our veranda breakfasts.

We tried the buffet several times for lunch and found it to be pretty good most days - in fact I'd say we enjoyed the food in there more than in the Grand Restaurant. We looked at the MDR lunch menus several times but only went there once as there wasn't much that appealed to be honest. The one time we did go we felt we were being hurried along with each course appearing as soon as we'd put down our cutlery.

As for the Grand Restaurant I can honestly say that I only really enjoyed my dinner on around 5 occasions. Every time I had fish it was dry and tasteless. Meat dishes tended to be good apart from on Top Chef night when I picked the veal chop which was tough and so salty that I couldn't eat it. I changed it for the barbecue chicken with mac n cheese and that wasn't great either. A chicken breast with a little bottled bbq sauce brushed over it, and a small pot of what looked like pasta shapes (certainly not macaroni) in a watery cheese sauce. It did not resemble mac n cheese in any way! A distinct lack of vegetables as well.

I see lots of people suggest trying the speciality restaurants - we gave it a miss this time as found the food in them not much better than the MDR. (Murano on Equinox Sept 2013 and SS United States on Infinity Sept 2014 - where we were served stone cold Dover Sole). Anyway, most of the dishes on their menus appear at some time in the MDR so why pay the extra?

I have put my comments on my post cruise survey but the food on this cruise was not as good as that on our first Celebrity cruise 2 years ago.

We also found that bar service was a bit slow - especially in the Crystal Room. We waited 20 minutes one evening, despite there being very few people in the room and 2 waiters on duty - one of whom appeared to be just fiddling around with menus, tidying up and ignoring us!

Edited by lynbee

This is always a moving target. Things change! We are going to give NCL another chance here in less than three weeks -- we've always rated them at the bottom in cruise ship cuisine.

My ratings as of now: (only lines we have cruised)

#1 -- Oceania -- MDR wonderful; alternatives good; buffet very good

#2 -- Azamara -- MDR excellent; alternatives excellent; buffet pretty good

#3 -- Celebrity -- MDR very good; alternatives excellent and Blu is a nice change of pace; buffet great and improving

#4 -- Cunard -- MDR excellent; alternatives so so; buffet the worst at sea

#5 -- Holland America -- MDR very good; alternatives good; buffet usually good

#6 -- Royal Caribbean -- MDR good and improving; alternatives good; never cared for their buffet

#7 -- Princess -- MDR good; alternatives good; buffet crowded and not my favorite

#8 -- NCL -- have not been on their ships in many years, so I will hold off for now. We did select their UDP for our next cruise.

I use to rate Princess above Royal Caribbean, but things change. I would love to cruise Oceania and Azamara more, but they are much more expensive. Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea -- some day. Disney, Costa, MSC, Carnival just haven't grabbed my attention -- yet.:)

Ask me in a year, and it will be different.

Kel:D

Just returning from the NCL Jewel, and using the UDP (ultimate dining package), I would like to move NCL up to between Cunard and Holland America.(my new number 5):D Excellent experience on the Jewel and the food was great! Like Cunard, just avoid the buffet.

Enjoy!

Kel

We were just on Carnival Pride last week and the food in the MDR was fabulous! So great that we ate there every day! Both the food and dining room service were the best we have experienced so far (although it's only out of 2 cruises at this point). Hoping to do some more comparing in the very near future! :D

I haven't cruised on every line so its a little hard to comment but on those I have I would put Oceania first. Frankly I don't think the main dining rooms on any ships are that great. I have no complaints about the food on Azamara and I think the specialty restaurants on Oceania and Azamara are comparable, and Murano on Celebrity is every bit as good.

I agree with all those who say you get what you pay for.

Celebrity ships charge far less for their Caribbean cruises than their European cruises. Celebrity's Caribbean cruises are excellent value for money and that makes the food seem excellent and the Suites are comfortable. Our last 5 cruises have been European. We moved from the MDR to Blu 4 years ago (reflection Aquas suites being the best of both worlds) and are now bored with the Menu as we always sail for at least 10 if not 14 days at a time and the menus never differ. The food is good but very repetitive.

This years price per day for European cruises has been astronomical so even though we are only a couple of sailings away from Elite plus we have started sailing with other lines. Oceania and Azamara are cheaper than Celebrity. In the case of the Oceania cruise it was cheaper than a 2c balcony cabin. The food is very good on Oceania. We don't sail on Azamara for 3 months therefore I can't comment on the food yet but I have heard very good things from friends.

I suppose I am saying at the price per day in the Caribbean Celebrity, even with its cuts, is good to excellent. At the price per day in Europe Oceania,Azamara and Seabourn are better value and in the case of the first two cheaper than Celebrity. What is more Celebrity management know this hence the return of the Chocolates, the new shows, the new Suite restaurant and all the information starting to come out re the change in Menus in Blu.

I agree with all those who say you get what you pay for.

Celebrity ships charge far less for their Caribbean cruises than their European cruises. Celebrity's Caribbean cruises are excellent value for money and that makes the food seem excellent and the Suites are comfortable. Our last 5 cruises have been European. We moved from the MDR to Blu 4 years ago (reflection Aquas suites being the best of both worlds) and are now bored with the Menu as we always sail for at least 10 if not 14 days at a time and the menus never differ. The food is good but very repetitive.

This years price per day for European cruises has been astronomical so even though we are only a couple of sailings away from Elite plus we have started sailing with other lines. Oceania and Azamara are cheaper than Celebrity. In the case of the Oceania cruise it was cheaper than a 2c balcony cabin. The food is very good on Oceania. We don't sail on Azamara for 3 months therefore I can't comment on the food yet but I have heard very good things from friends.

I suppose I am saying at the price per day in the Caribbean Celebrity, even with its cuts, is good to excellent. At the price per day in Europe Oceania,Azamara and Seabourn are better value and in the case of the first two cheaper than Celebrity. What is more Celebrity management know this hence the return of the Chocolates, the new shows, the new Suite restaurant and all the information starting to come out re the change in Menus in Blu.

Like always, it depends on the dates of the cruise. We will be on the Reflection in June (11 nights) out of Rome. Just over $1,800 pp for a 2C balcony with ALL three parts of the 1,2,3 Go package. Compare that to our 12 day Holiday cruise coming up on the Equinox (Dec 2015) -- $2,200 for an inside CAT 11 cabin, with no perks at all (Caribbean Cruise).

The June, 2015 out of Rome (15 day cruise) on the Riviera (Oceania) is over $5,000 pp Inside cabin. The Azamara Journey out of Venice, Italy for 11 nights is over $4,500 pp in an inside cabin.

I think Celebrity holds up pretty well in Europe?

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Edited by kelmac

Interesting comparison on prices.

Agree that holiday cruises are expensive in the Caribbean but Oceania website is showing ( just checked by the way) the 15 night cruise in June for £2,469 ( £ 4,838 per Cabin ) for a balcony cabin whilst Celebrity are offering a 12 night cruise on the constellation for £5,400. Inside cabins are a lot cheaper I know but we like a balcony and it is only fair to compare like with like.

Our Azamara cruise in August has come in at £4,600 including flights again for a balcony. All gratuities and quite a lot of drinks are also included. Celebrity wanted well over £7000 for the Equinox on the 1st of August (granted for 14 nights against 11nights and both included flights and classic package/gratuities )

I wonder Kelmac whether you are in the US and getting a better deal from Celebrity whilst we here in the Uk are getting a better deal from Oceania and even Azamara. I would have jumped for joy at the price you got for your Reflection cruise. It's a beautiful ship you should have a lovely time.

I believe it is the dining experience rather than the food itself is what makes the difference between positive and negative results. And this consists of:

1. Dining room facilities- Celebrity has gorgeous dining room facilities; the

buffet is well laid-out, the MDRs are elegant and beautiful. Some of the

tables are close together (Select) which could be a negative.

2. The wait staff. On Celebrity, my experience is that they are

knowledgeable with excellent suggestions, well-mannered and pleasant,

eager to please. Again, a waiter could be having a bad day, be less

trained. There have been comments of the staff being over-whelmed,

untrained or cranky. That has not been my experience. I supposed

these conditions could be found on any cruise ship.

3. Finally, the food itself is a factor. Some items may be better than

others. I personally don't always order what is recommend4ed as

good. Perhaps my experience would be even better if I did. But I like to

try new things. Sometimes they work - sometimes they don't. But either

way, I enjoy the experience and learn something about myself.

When dining on Celebrity ships and all these factors are present, it is a great experience. However, the food can be wonderful and the staff attentive, but if there is a rollicking party going on at a table, as was in the Tuscan Grill on our last cruise, the meal is not as enjoyable as with a great ambiance.

We bring Lunchables and canned Raviolis on board to avoid the MDR and the rest of the nonsense all together. :D

Boy,I hope you're joking. If not the why bother cruising at all? Is it the food, the fact you like to lounge around in your "skivies" all day, or have no idea about decent food. I wonder which!

I cannot believe that no-one has discussed Hapag Lloyd lines two luxury ships Europa and Europa 2, which are universally accepted as having the finest cuisine at sea. The Berlitz cruise guide describes the Europa 2's cuisine as per below

Cuisine/Dining: With over 5,000 separate food ingredients carried at any one time, the executive chef can produce menus that don’t repeat even for around-the-world and other long voyages for which this ship excels. The cuisine is outstanding, always full of surprises. Seasonal and regional ingredients are featured, with much totally fresh fish and seafood as standard. Plated presentation of food is provided for entrées with silver service for additional vegetables, as well as tableside flambé dishes. The size of portions is sensible, never overwhelming. There are four restaurants.The Europa Restaurant is a beautiful two-deck-high formal dining room that can accommodate all passengers in one seating, with tables assigned for dinner only (breakfast and lunch are open seating). Passengers thus keep their favorite waiter for dinner throughout each cruise. In common with most German ships, a small smoking section is provided. There are tables for two (quite a few), four, six, or eight. For superb service, there is achef de rangand an assistant waiter system, so that thechef de rangis always at the station, with the assistant waiter acting as runner.On days at sea, in addition to the regular, extensive breakfast, a Gourmet Breakfast menu includes items such as beef tartare, carpaccio of smoked tuna with wasabi cream, gooseliver tureen with orange confit, and other specialties rarely found aboard cruise ships today. A Cuisine Légère menu provides light, healthy, but tasty spa cuisine.Table settings include Dibbern china, 150g weight Robbe & Berking silverware, and Riedel wine glasses. The cuisine is very international, but includes German favorites as well as regional dishes from around the world. The quality of food is extremely high. Although top-grade Iranian Ossetre caviar is found on dinner menus at least once each week, it is always available on request, at extra cost. Otherwise, most of the excellent caviar comes from French farmed sturgeon.An extensive wine list includes a good selection of vintage French wines, as well as a well-balanced selection of Austrian, German, and Swiss wines.Other dining options.In a first for the cruise industry, chef Dieter Müller (who has three Michelin stars) has his first Dieter Müller at Sea Restaurant, a pocket-sized 26-seat intimate restaurant featuring a personally designed five-course menu (it’s three courses for lunch). The menu changes three times during a world cruise, and seasonally during the rest of the year. He participates in about 15 cruises a year – about half ofEuropa’s annual program. The restaurant, which is open for dinner nightly and for lunch on sea days, can be reserved once per cruise by all passengers – and there’s no extra charge.Venezia, a second specialty dining spot, is a much loved, popular for its fine Italian cuisine – and a wide variety of olive oils and grappa. It is open for lunch and dinner, and at no extra charge.Both venues are adjacent to and forward of the main restaurant, and provide the setting for a truly intimate dining experience, by reservation only.For more casual dining, try the elegant Lido Café for serve-yourself breakfasts – the ship even makes its own preserves – luncheons and dinners, with both indoor and outdoor seating (under heat lamps when needed) and adjacent indoor/outdoor bar. Themed evening dining is also featured here, with full waiter service. There is a wide variety of food, and many special lunch buffets have a number of popular themes and regional specialties.Above the Lido Café is the indoor/outdoor Sansibar, with great aft-facing views. It’s liked by the late-night set.Europais known for its real German sausages, available in the Clipper Bar and at a typical Bavarian Früschoppen featured once each cruise in the Lido Café. Also, late each night, ‘light bites,’ beautifully presented on silver trays, are taken around the various bars and lounges.Nautical tradition is maintained with bouillon service each morning at sea, and other daily niceties include fresh waffles and ice cream each afternoon around the pool.