Jacket AND tie in Grande?

No ties necessary. Worth noting that we saw only one tux in two nights at the Grande. For all the commentary we read on these pages about the sanctity of formal nights , it seems telling that given the option of formal dining every night, there are very few takers.

I just don't get why everyone wants to change the only formal restaurant, into a smart casual affair / casual restaurant, when there are about 19 other venues to eat " dressed down"...

It doesn't seem fair to those that love to dress up in formal attire , and have husbands who wear a tux, who then are the ones, that are made to feel out of place in a FORMAL "advertised" restaurant...:(

Instead of the other way around...

I just don't get why everyone wants to change the only formal restaurant, into a smart casual affair / casual restaurant, when there are about 19 other venues to eat " dressed down"...

It doesn't seem fair to those that love to dress up in formal attire , and have husbands who wear a tux, who then are the ones, that are made to feel out of place in a FORMAL "advertised" restaurant...:(

Instead of the other way around...

Jackets are required in the Grande so you shouldn't feel out of place with your husband in a tux.

Jackets are required in the Grande so you shouldn't feel out of place with your husband in a tux.

You missed MY point..

on the Quantum website."The Grande Restaurant is a luxuriant nod to a bygone era. When dining was not a task, but a time-honored ritual. When you dressed for a date with an unforgettable dish. At The Grande, every night is formal night, and every night is a special occasion."

on the Quantum website.

Formal Nights

Formal night dress code is the most stringent in terms of formality (hence the name) and Royal Caribbean defines formal clothing as,

"suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women."

Formal night clothing is what you would probably wear to a traditional wedding and should be a step up from any other night's clothing. You may see some men wearing tuxedos but a vast majority of men on Royal Caribbean cruises these days opt for a two or three piece suit. For women, it's an opportunity to dress up as much as possible, with gowns, cocktail dresses and lots of accessories.

BUT..

.People are trying their hardest ( its on many threads, this is just another ) to be allowed to "under dress " in the Grande...

do men have to wear a jacket?

do men have to wear a tie?

can women wear dress jeans?

can men wear smart dress shorts?

the list goes on..

why not keep it as it was designed..

Edited by jannandjohn

You missed MY point..

on the Quantum website."The Grande Restaurant is a luxuriant nod to a bygone era. When dining was not a task, but a time-honored ritual. When you dressed for a date with an unforgettable dish. At The Grande, every night is formal night, and every night is a special occasion."

on the Quantum website.

Formal Nights

Formal night dress code is the most stringent in terms of formality (hence the name) and Royal Caribbean defines formal clothing as,

Formal night clothing is what you would probably wear to a traditional wedding and should be a step up from any other night's clothing. You may see some men wearing tuxedos but a vast majority of men on Royal Caribbean cruises these days opt for a two or three piece suit. For women, it's an opportunity to dress up as much as possible, with gowns, cocktail dresses and lots of accessories.

BUT..

.People are trying their hardest ( its on many threads, this is just another ) to be allowed to "under dress " in the Grande...

the list goes on..

I agree - there are plenty of other restaurants they can dress casually in.

Ironically I find a lot of people saying they don't like dressing up for formal night are the same people bemoaning the loss of the MDR......

I agree - there are plenty of other restaurants they can dress casually in.

Ironically I find a lot of people saying they don't like dressing up for formal night are the same people bemoaning the loss of the MDR......

Totally agree. What part of the word 'formal' do they not understand! :rolleyes:

You missed MY point..

on the Quantum website.

Formal Nights

BUT..

the list goes on..

Doesn't say anything about having to wear a tie or a tux. Wear what you want . Why do you care about anyone else? They most likely don't care about u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't say anything about having to wear a tie or a tux. Wear what you want .

Yes it does - as per the above quote from the RC website:

And the Grande dress code is listed as formal.

As numerous people have noted, as a minimum they require a jacket and tgat is being enforced.

Yes it does - as per the above quote from the RC website:

And the Grande dress code is listed as formal.

As numerous people have noted, as a minimum they require a jacket and tgat is being enforced.

Yeah, and you can't save seats by the pool... Don't wear a tie, it's not needed

Yeah, and you can't save seats by the pool... Don't wear a tie, it's not needed

That's not the point at all! You say it doesn't say anything - enforcement is a completely different subject.:rolleyes:

Well I'm going Tux all the way for my formal Grande dining experience. If I get looks or seem out of place, I don't care because I will look FAB-U-LOUS darlings. It's my holiday and I want to dress up for certain gala nights. I like with Dynamic Dining that I can now choose those nights. On my 14 day Italian Med cruise I have picked 2 nights and they are both sea days. That way I'm not coming back from a long trip (i.e. Florence 10hrs) and then rushing around to get ready for a gala dinner. I like to eat on an early seating. Most of my dinner reservations are around 6-6:30pm, except the likes of Florence when I shall be eating later at 7:30pm.

I won't be complaining that some people aren't dressed in tuxedos or ladies in formal gowns. But if they have made no effort and are ready for the beach, then I would be concerned what the maitre d is doing, and having words with them. But on my most recent cruises, most younger people don't own a Tux and still want to take part in gala evenings. They go for a suit. And as modern dress codes goes, a suit with shirt and NO tie is the current fashion. Just look at all the talk show male hosts appearance.

But if the gala evening sends your body with dread, then don't go to the grande at all and you won't put yourself into that situation. Where as on traditional sailings the majority of the ship is dressed up, then you feel out of place and go hide somewhere for the evening.

If only the grande people are dinning in full gala dress, and then don't decide to change and walk around the ship, see shows, then every night a few people are going to be dressed up. It will make the audience in a show very mixed dress codes indeed.

Edited by SausPud
typo

That's not the point at all! You say it doesn't say anything - enforcement is a completely different subject.:rolleyes:

That's exactly the point. It does not say you HAVE to do anything. It also says no saving seats at the theater, no chair piggery, and no kids at the solarium, but hey, rules? We don't need no stinking rules![emoji12][emoji12]

Edited by PennStateFan123

That's exactly the point. It does not say you HAVE to do anything. It also says no saving seats at the theater, no chair piggery, and no kids at the solarium, but hey, rules? We don't need no stinking rules![emoji12][emoji12]

Actually Grande does say you HAVE to wear a Jacket. If you don't, they will give you one off the rack. It is not "suggested," it's required and enforced. When we were on Quantum there was a message on our TV the night we were booked in Grande informing us that the Dress was Formal.

On our cruise I would say that the majority was dressed according to the Dress Code. Suit or Tux for men. There was only a few each night (we dined there twice) had to borrow a jacket. But it is enforced.

Actually Grande does say you HAVE to wear a Jacket. If you don't, they will give you one off the rack. It is not "suggested," it's required and enforced. When we were on Quantum there was a message on our TV the night we were booked in Grande informing us that the Dress was Formal.

On our cruise I would say that the majority was dressed according to the Dress Code. Suit or Tux for men. There was only a few each night (we dined there twice) had to borrow a jacket. But it is enforced.

Where ? It doesn't. Hate when those pesky facts get in the way. See you at the pool....I'll be the one saving 500 chairs