WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

It's not that much shorter. How many drinks do you typically do before 11AM. :what:

Depends on your routine, drinking level, etc.

For us we usually are onboard closer to 1pm, at some point unpack and arrange the room a bit, get the kid registered at kids club, potentially book some excursions, check to see if our dining got screwed up or not (last cruise the wife and I were at one table, our 12 year old son was assigned to a different table on the other side of the room), etc, etc. Combine that with using our BOGO drink coupons and we are typically ahead on the deal by not buying a package on day one.

To be fair up until the price increases we were borderline on the package making sense at all so it doesn't take much of a decrease to push us into the cheaper not to have it for day one category.

I am cruising next month on freedom 7 day and it sounds like the drink package is def the way to go for me (yup Im a boozer, especially on vacation). that said, can you buy it just for sea days?

You must purchase for at least 4 days, and whenever you purchase, it must last to the end of the cruise. You cannot pick and choose days.

You must purchase for at least 4 days, and whenever you purchase, it must last to the end of the cruise. You cannot pick and choose days.

thanks for the heads up. know of any ways to get a discount on the package?

thanks for the heads up. know of any ways to get a discount on the package?

I've seen them selling at a discount onboard. It does not happen all the time, but I have seen it a few times.

Thanks again, I'll wait til I get aboard to see if I can get a better deal!

At the very least, you can skip the first day, which is only a partial day anyhow. That will save some money.

Do you know how much for a bucket of beers? On Freedom at end of month and trying to figure out the budget. Thanks. Also, can you purchase a bottle of liquor and mixers on board? I am not sure what cruise line offers that.

Royal doesnt allow purchase of bottles of liquor and mixers. :)

I have a few questions, appreciate any help I can get because I'm getting on a ship in 5 days (woo hoo!)

We're on the Adventure if that helps with any of these.

1) Does anyone have a current wine list? I'd love to wine spectator a few of the ones under the Wine budget.

2) What is the per-glass max for wine with the Premium Package?

3) What is the per-drink max for mixed drinks with the Premium Package?

4) Anyone know the cost of a Gray Goose Cosmo?

5) What is the current drink menu situation? Have they put the fun colorful menus back that have suggestions of drinks?

6) I went to Gambee's site and found old pictures of the drink menus. Do you think that bartenders will still know how to make those drinks?

Thanks everyone!

I have a few questions, appreciate any help I can get because I'm getting on a ship in 5 days (woo hoo!)

We're on the Adventure if that helps with any of these.

1) Does anyone have a current wine list? I'd love to wine spectator a few of the ones under the Wine budget.

2) What is the per-glass max for wine with the Premium Package?

3) What is the per-drink max for mixed drinks with the Premium Package?

4) Anyone know the cost of a Gray Goose Cosmo?

5) What is the current drink menu situation? Have they put the fun colorful menus back that have suggestions of drinks?

6) I went to Gambee's site and found old pictures of the drink menus. Do you think that bartenders will still know how to make those drinks?

Thanks everyone!

Jean has an excellent wine list here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46082438&postcount=1

The max for glasses of wine and cocktails is $12 in the Premium Package.

Edited by clarea

Exactly the reason the bar prices were 'jacked'! To make the packages 'worth it'.

Bar staff we spoke to said they [RCI] want people to buy the packages.

I guess it's working.

Agree. Its working. but at some point, it will also drive people to other cruise lines. I've been religious thus far in choosing RCI for all my cruises, but with the drink prices going up, this may be my last for a while. I'm now open to other cruise lines that have more reasonable drink costs, which based on this forum could be Holland America.

Just thought of another question, and maybe a solution for people debating if they will take advantage of the RCI drink policy.

I've been debating for a while if I should go with the Prem. Drink package on my Europe Cruise for $63/day, or if I pay by the drink. I like to drink quite a bit, my wife does as well but not as much. I did the math, and it looks like basically you need to drink about 6 drinks per day to make it worth it. I figured with a mimosa in the morning, a glass or two of wine at dinner, and then a few cocktails or beers at the pool or shows, this is very possible for me. My wife, maybe not.

But I saw this for the cancellation policy on RCI's website for cruise, and I figured if I'm reading this right, that i can order the drink package, and then at the end of my cruise, I can cancel it for a refund, if I check order history for the cruise and determine paying by the drink would have been the better deal (if my wife didn't drink more than 6 per day on average). and if they refund your package price with onboard credit on the last days of the cruise, can I apply that to already purchased shore excursions? Sure they'll charge you then for each drink, so if you were drinking 5 instead of 6 per day, then the savings isn't that big of a deal. But if you lets say you skipped a day or two of drinking, that can be a better deal to just get the onboard credit for your package back, and then just pay the charges individually from the bill.

Food & Beverage

Print This Page

From RCI's website:

Q: Can I cancel or change any of my Wine & Beverage packages?

A: Orders may be modified up to four days before the sail date either online or by calling (800) 398-9819.

Once onboard, the guest may cancel or change their package for onboard credit. However, any consumed items will be charged.

Edited by tm81663

But I saw this for the cancellation policy on RCI's website for cruise, and I figured if I'm reading this right, that i can order the drink package, and then at the end of my cruise, I can cancel it for a refund, if I check order history for the cruise and determine paying by the drink would have been the better deal (if my wife didn't drink more than 6 per day on average). and if they refund your package price with onboard credit on the last days of the cruise, can I apply that to already purchased shore excursions? Sure they'll charge you then for each drink, so if you were drinking 5 instead of 6 per day, then the savings isn't that big of a deal. But if you lets say you skipped a day or two of drinking, that can be a better deal to just get the onboard credit for your package back, and then just pay the charges individually from the bill.

Food & Beverage

Print This Page

From RCI's website:

Q: Can I cancel or change any of my Wine & Beverage packages?

A: Orders may be modified up to four days before the sail date either online or by calling (800) 398-9819.

Once onboard, the guest may cancel or change their package for onboard credit. However, any consumed items will be charged.

Interesting. I'm going to follow now to see how the CC experts interpret this.

I guess this will mean that people will have to sign a slip for every drink that they get with the package just incase they change their mind and decide to cancel.

I don't think they have to sign every time, but I believe their SeaPass card is swiped every time, except for items like bottles of still water.

Interesting. I'm going to follow now to see how the CC experts interpret this.

Let me know what you find out. If u can get a refund and use it toward shore excursions if u find out paying for individual purchases is better off, then that would be great

Sounds very complicated and fraught with potential problems all to save a few dollars which compared to the price of a cruise is not all that significant. But good luck with it.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

i have not read where anyone said you can see a running tally of your drinks on your on board account when you have them covered by your package. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

You are correct, individual drinks obtained from the unlimited beverage packages do not show up on your onboard account.

You are correct, individual drinks obtained from the unlimited beverage packages do not show up on your onboard account.

i didnt think so.... if so, people would be all over the boards announcing if they broke even or not. ;);)

I think someone mentioned they always tipped on the paper 50 cents or $1 and that helped them guesstimate how much they would have spent on drinks by knowing the number of drinks ordered multiplied by an average drink. The paper tipped amounts showed in cabin and on final bill.

we were on Explorer 2 weeks ago and noticed a big increase in the drinks....and let's face it, your paying premium prices for bottom shelf booze. Not to be a wine or drink snob, but the margaritas will never be good when your mixing for the masses, and the wines are just not what we are accustom to. It's a matter of taste. However, I did find Chris that was willing to go the extra mile and make a great margarita, and it only took 1 drink to get it right. From then on, he knew what I liked and how I liked it. All I have to do now is break in another bar tender in November when we will be on Freedom.