The waves are alive, with "The Sound of Music"

Wehwalt

As if there's not enough sweetness and light aboard.

http://www.princess.com/50th-anniversary/sound-of-music/?utm_source=princess.com/soundofmusic&utm_source=BRAND&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=OTHER&utm_content=PE5MS037_437:

THE WORLD'S MOST BELOVED MUSICAL

Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the most beloved family film of all time! Rodgers & Hammerstein's cinematic treasure stars the incomparable Julie Andrews as Maria, the warmhearted young woman who brings joy and music to Captain von Trapp (Christopher Plummer) and his children. Experience this magnificent movie musical filled with unforgettable songs, including "Do-Re-Mi," "My Favorite Things" and "The Sound of Music."

Watch 50th Anniversary Trailer

The Sound of Music 5-disc 50th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition

ANNIVERSARY EDITIONS

Relive your favorite moments with the 5-disc 50th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition featuring over 13 hours of bonus features and the all-new hour-long documentary "The Sound of a City: Julie Andrews Returns to Salzburg!"

Buy Now

The Sound of Music Onboard Activities, Movies Under the Stars

SPECIAL ONBOARD ACTIVITIES

Watch the movie at our giant poolside amphitheater Movies Under the Stars® or sing along with it in our Princess Theater, playing once on every sailing in 2015. You can also test how well you know the movie with our The Sound of Music Trivia Challenge or meet and rehearse with fellow song birds and partake in Princess Pop Choir's The Sound of Music edition!

austria - europe land & sea vacation

LET EUROPE INSPIRE A NEW YOU

A European Cruise with Princess takes you to the region where the hills are alive, the artwork smiles and the sea welcomes you. Explore the region where this classic film took place with our Imperial Treasures Cruisetour. Start on land in Budapest then make your way to Copenhagen, including 2-night stays in Budapest, Vienna, Prague and Berlin! Then experience our bucket list worthy 12-day Scandinavia & Russia voyage on Regal Princess®.

View Imperial Treasures Itineraries

Learn more about Europe Land & Sea Vacations

© 1965 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation and Argyle Enterprises. Renewed 1993 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation and Argyle Enterprises. © 1998 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation and Robert E. Wise. All rights reserved.

I also received this announcement from Princess and could not be more excited. I have loved Sound of Music for the 50 years it has been out. Funny thing, if I read this correctly, it is claimed that the movie will be played ..."on all 2015 cruises". We just returned (Sunday) from a cruise aboard the Emerald and there was not a playing of the movie-You can be sure I would have noticed it!!!!-So I guess they really meant on all future 2015 cruises?? I will find out in the next couple of months.

I also received this announcement from Princess and could not be more excited. I have loved Sound of Music for the 50 years it has been out. Funny thing, if I read this correctly, it is claimed that the movie will be played ..."on all 2015 cruises". We just returned (Sunday) from a cruise aboard the Emerald and there was not a playing of the movie-You can be sure I would have noticed it!!!!-So I guess they really meant on all future 2015 cruises?? I will find out in the next couple of months.

More than likely. The movie is fine, though I think the stage version is better. The pop choir bit should be interesting, since most of the songs (the ones that are standards, anyway) lend themselves well for that sort of thing. South Pacific wouldn't work as well.

Edited by Wehwalt

Oh I really hope we have this in June to the baltics. love the Princess pop choir at least this time I would know all the songs lol

My guess is they made a deal fairly recently with the Rodgers and Hammerstein Organization, and have been been gearing up for this.

I can't swear to it, but I think The Sound of Music was available in the movies on the tv when I was on the Regal in January. It wasn't on Mutts. I love the movie, but maybe not for me every cruise on Mutts. Once would be enough. I just realized I only have 2 cruises left in 2015, so I guess it's ok. But during my Thanksgiving cruise between the football games and this movie, not much time for other movies on Mutts.

I can't swear to it, but I think The Sound of Music was available in the movies on the tv when I was on the Regal in January. It wasn't on Mutts. I love the movie, but maybe not for me every cruise on Mutts. Once would be enough. I just realized I only have 2 cruises left in 2015, so I guess it's ok. But during my Thanksgiving cruise between the football games and this movie, not much time for other movies on Mutts.

It was on the TV on Regal in December. :D

Entered the contest :)

Edited by Mom33

I We just returned (Sunday) from a cruise aboard the Emerald and there was not a playing of the movie-You can be sure I would have noticed it!!!!-So I guess they really meant on all future 2015 cruises?? I will find out in the next couple of months.

Contest started in January, so it sounds as if they would have the movie on all 2015 cruises like the announcement said. Of course, not sure why they announce the contest in March if it did start in January.

The pop choir bit should be interesting

If nothing else, it finally brings different songs to what the pop choir performs. As far as I know, "Sweet Caroline" is not the "The Sound of Music."

More than likely. The movie is fine, though I think the stage version is better. The pop choir bit should be interesting, since most of the songs (the ones that are standards, anyway) lend themselves well for that sort of thing. South Pacific wouldn't work as well.

This is a complete hijack, but I'll tell the story anyway. I went to a school that had only recently gone coed. I sang in the school choir. For a reunion weekend, they invited all the choir members through the years back to campus and each decade was assigned a song. That's right: my decade got "There Is Nothing Like A Dame." Because apparently it hadn't occurred to anyone that in the final years of that decade, there actually were dames right there in the choir. Nonetheless, we few sopranos enjoyed singing it very much. It's a total show-stopper and such fun to sing.

I am so excited about this. I just bought the remastered box set last year and I love it. I have been watching it for 25 years and can't get enough! I'm so excited about the idea of seeing it, doing trivia and sing along.