What exactly is the Pop Choir?

flutprop

I saw this in a Patter posted online, and in a recent posting about the Sound of Music. Can anyone join? Do they practice during the cruise and perform on the last days? Sounds very intriguing, as I enjoy singing, but have no training.

From the Princess Cruises website:

"Are you are ready to join in on the pop culture spotlight? Meet and rehearse with fellow song birds in a fun and participative performance choir. Then, take center stage as you and your fellow passengers put together a show-stopping performance of Princess Pop Choir."

And a couple of examples from YouTube...

:D

Thanks!

I didn't even think to check You-tube, and I have been watching tons of cabin tour videos on there.

Maybe those who have actually participated will chime in later this morning with their experiences. In the mean time, plan on checking the Patter for the date and time of the very first meeting/practice.

Go, have fun!

;)

I love being in the Pop Choir! For the ones I've been in, the group size has varied from between less than 10 to more than 20. Anyone can join and the practices are on sea days or at a time when people will be back from port. The performance takes place in the atrium on the last full day in the afternoon. It's really a lot of fun. I'm glad they are bringing in some new songs, even if it's just temporarily!

Yes I just got off the Regal on Sunday and performed in their pop choir - the songs hadn't changed much since I last did it 3 years ago but still enjoyed it. In a 7 day cruise we only had 3 practice sessions on sea days and around 15 of us performed 5 songs live in the Piazza on the last afternoon. We were also given a little pop choir pin afterwards as thanks.

Sandra

I've participated in Pop Choir twice--once on the Royal and once on the Star Princess. Both were longer cruises and we did practice on sea days. It was great fun, and we sang different songs although they do have a fairly standard song list to choose from. We performed in the Atrium toward the end of the cruise and got a very enthusiastic response from our fellow passengers. If you enjoy singing, you'll love Pop Choir.

Yes I just got off the Regal on Sunday and performed in their pop choir - the songs hadn't changed much since I last did it 3 years ago but still enjoyed it. In a 7 day cruise we only had 3 practice sessions on sea days and around 15 of us performed 5 songs live in the Piazza on the last afternoon. We were also given a little pop choir pin afterwards as thanks.

Sandra

When I read the LIVE threads from Pia she often says that she checked out the pop choir but didn't do it because the songs were the same ones she sees on the list over and over.

However, that doesn't mean some folks won't enjoy a repeat and it may well be that they improve over time. Of course many people will be participating for the first time so it really won't matter that Princess is using the same songs.

There are few things more fun than singing.

Edited by Thrak

I did the Pop Choir on our Alaska cruise. I loved it. You don't have to be a great singer (good would help), but a love of singing is definitely a desired quality. We had a lot of fun and I had thought "oh, only a few people will show up." I was WRONG! The Atrium was pretty full. I'll do it again sometime.

I did the pop choir on my last cruise. they had introduced some new songs. We were told we were one of the largest pop choirs Princess had ever had....probably about 50 of us! We practised on sea days and as previous posters said performed in the atrium, it was amazing. I am really looking forward to a Sound of Music choir on my next sailing. You don't have to be an amazing singer, anyone can join in it really is so much fun

We always enjoy the Pop Choir performance!

Hope they don't stop doing "Sweet Caroline"! :)

LuLu

I did the Pop Choir on the Coral Princess going to the Panama Canal. Lots of fun. I also love doing 'Sweet Caroline" and the audience loves to chime in ! I will be on the Crown to Alaska the end of May but I have a feeling since it is so port intensive they might not have the pop choir.

Sali

However, that doesn't mean some folks won't enjoy a repeat and it may well be that they improve over time. Of course many people will be participating for the first time so it really won't matter that Princess is using the same songs.

There are few things more fun than singing.

As a participant it's nice to expand your repertoire - luckily we had a new-ish song Under the Boardwalk which the choir loved to perform - a blast!

I did the Pop Choir on the Coral Princess going to the Panama Canal. Lots of fun. I also love doing 'Sweet Caroline" and the audience loves to chime in ! I will be on the Crown to Alaska the end of May but I have a feeling since it is so port intensive they might not have the pop choir.

Sali

Our RT Alaska out of Seattle was my first pop choir, so you'll probably have one. It was the smallest group, though, out of the four I've been in.

I have been in Pop Choir three times, and was disappointed that it was not offered on the Golden (to Alaska) last summer - I had (finally) brought the "right" clothes to wear! (generally white top/black bottoms, BTW) It is great fun. It is more or less intense depending on who is leading it; once we had the minimum three rehearsals plus dress rehearsal, another had several more, and longer, rehearsals (and extra (unauthorized) songs). One had a lot of dance moves. Sometimes there aren't many guys and the parts are re-distributed according to who is there. Twice the performances were in the afternoon and there were large, enthusiastic crowds; the other was about 9:45 in the evening - too small a crowd to get enthusiastic enough. Sometimes folks come to rehearsal at first and drop out as they go on; other times the group is gung-ho and can be counted on from beginning to end. I would welcome more variety in the song list - maybe my upcoming summer Princess cruise will have something new!

Sandra

Heard them practicing on our last two cruises (2010/11 and 2012/13) and noticed the songs were the same. As I was on the Hawaiian cruise, I took part in the hula classes (and participated in the Aloha 'Oe show the last day of the cruise) instead.

Sali

We did it on our very port intensive Baltics & Russia cruise on the Royal last summer. Just did it again on the Regal last month. It was great fun!