Avalon change of port, now Brussels instead of Amsterdam

marti1

Just found out our end of cruise is Brussels instead of Amsterdam. This is because of a big 5 year boating thing in Amsterdam. Is this going to be a bad thing. Really wanted to see Amsterdam. This is for the Aug sailing this summer.

Well, Brussels is a nice city to visit with quite a bit to see but I must admit that in your place I would be very disappointed. And as it's obviously some long-planned event, you would have thought Avalon would have known about this before you booked. Is there any way that you can have a couple of days in Amsterdam after your cruise?

I was looking at Avalon Rheine cruises on their website a few months ago and it did show this cruise goes to Brussels, not Amsterdam because of the race. I don't remember if there are one or two cruises affected.

We had considered a Rhine cruise with Avalon but it was posted on the website the cruises during the first two weeks of August would begin and end in Brussels so I was going to avoid those dates, but we ended up going with another line instead.

Edited by hiccups

We had considered a Rhine cruise with Avalon but it was posted on the website the cruises during the first two weeks of August would begin and end in Brussels so I was going to avoid those dates, but we ended up going with another line instead.

According to the link, it's only from Aug. 19-23rd. Our cruise starts at the beginning of the second week in August and ends on the 15th in Amsterdam.

According to the link, it's only from Aug. 19-23rd. Our cruise starts at the beginning of the second week in August and ends on the 15th in Amsterdam.

It was earlier than that for northbound. I just remember we were looking at the first two weeks in August and didn't want to book it because we wanted to see Amsterdam.

Hello marti1,

I cannot quite figure out how they do this logistically: do you fly into Amsterdam and are than bussed to Brussels or do you fly to Brussels?

Brussels is a great town with lots to see, architecture from several centuries abound. A political centre for Europe. And "European capital" for comic books and magazines IMO.

Brussels has a different feel to it than Amsterdam, the town being inland rather than at the sea. Brussels is not on the Rhine, but then neither is Amsterdam!

You can get a fast train from Brussels to Amsterdam:

https://www.b-europe.com/Travel/Booking/Tickets

Enjoy your trip.

notamermaid

Thank you for the imput. We are going to stay 2 nights after the cruise, with both in Brussels and just a day trip to Amsterdam or 1 night in each city. I guess I look at this as a little added bonus, another great city to see, with a day trip to Bruge also. Plus we get to see the "Sail Amsterdam" .

It was earlier than that for northbound. I just remember we were looking at the first two weeks in August and didn't want to book it because we wanted to see Amsterdam.

Well, like I said we're on one of the cruises during the first two weeks in August sailing northbound and we're ending in AMS. I think you have your dates mixed up.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario