Navigator or Jewel...

Starting to look into my 2016 cruise. I'm considering Europe, but I think we're going to end up going to the Caribbean. I have a few options, with Navigator and Jewel being the top choices at this point in time...

Navigator of the Seas

8N Eastern Caribbean - Labadee, San Juan, St. Kitts, St. Maarten

We'd stay a night before in Fort Lauderdale.

Jewel of the Seas

7N Southern Caribbean - Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, St. Croix (new port for us!)

We'd stay a night before in San Juan.

I also really like the 10 night Southern Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale on Serenade (Tortola, St. kitts, Dominica, Antigua, St. Maarten), but the price is almost $1200 more than Jewel and I'm not sure yet if we'd be able to go away for 10 days. With a 10 night cruise, we'd have to fly down the day of cruise, but oh well, we're comfortable taking that chance.

Our first cruise was on Explorer and we loved it, but it's been a while. We went to Alaska last year on Radiance and absolutely loved that ship!

If we can pull off the Serenade cruise, we'd probably go with that, but if not, would you rather do the Navigator or Jewel cruise? Opinions?

Not knowing anything about staterooms or prices, I'd take the 8 day over the 7 day. Airfare is likely to be less going to FLL as opposed to SJU.

Thanks.

Prices are very comparable. The Navigator cruise is more, but airfare will be cheaper. The Jewel crusie is cheaper, but air will be more. In the end, the prices are close enough that it won't impact our decision.

Thanks.

Prices are very comparable. The Navigator cruise is more, but airfare will be cheaper. The Jewel crusie is cheaper, but air will be more. In the end, the prices are close enough that it won't impact our decision.

If prices are comparable, then it comes down to more ports vs more days.

While the Jewel is only 7 nights, sailing out of San Juan feels more like it's adding an extra port day (to me). And as the Navigator itinerary looks very close to what my Indy cruise had, their stop in San Juan was between 7am & 2pm and gave very little time to do anything.

Navigator has an Ice Rink and FlowRider but Jewel as the open air aft section of Windjammer.

8 nights with 4 stops or 7 nights with 5 stops... I'd almost vote for the 8 nights as it is more relaxing.

So yes, even I can't decide between your choices.

Edited by Rewind

While the Jewel is only 7 nights, sailing out of San Juan feels more like it's adding an extra port day (to me). And as the Navigator itinerary looks very close to what my Indy cruise had, their stop in San Juan was between 7am & 2pm and gave very little time to do anything.

Navigator has an Ice Rink and FlowRider but Jewel as the open air aft section of Windjammer.

8 nights with 4 stops or 7 nights with 5 stops... I'd almost vote for the 8 nights as it is more relaxing.

So yes, even I can't decide between your choices.

We booked the 8 day on the NOS, as mentioned earlier, great stops and I like the idea of ending with two days on the ship to explore and unwind. We live in Florida, so that made the choice a bit easier.

Starting to look into my 2016 cruise. I'm considering Europe, but I think we're going to end up going to the Caribbean. I have a few options, with Navigator and Jewel being the top choices at this point in time...

Navigator of the Seas

Jewel of the Seas

7N Southern Caribbean - Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, St. Croix (new port for us!)

I also really like the 10 night Southern Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale on Serenade (Tortola, St. kitts, Dominica, Antigua, St. Maarten), but the price is almost $1200 more than Jewel and I'm not sure yet if we'd be able to go away for 10 days. With a 10 night cruise, we'd have to fly down the day of cruise, but oh well, we're comfortable taking that chance.

Our first cruise was on Explorer and we loved it, but it's been a while. We went to Alaska last year on Radiance and absolutely loved that ship!

If we can pull off the Serenade cruise, we'd probably go with that, but if not, would you rather do the Navigator or Jewel cruise? Opinions?

What Navigator has that Jewel doesn't is Flowrider and a Promenade (which I have come to enjoy as a place to sit and enjoy a light lunch or coffee in between doing things); Jewel is a wonderful ship, and we enjoyed sailing on her very much as well. Considering what I just said and getting an extra day for my cruise -- Navigator wins when the economics are considered. When you look at the Serenade cruise it seems to me that the cost differences seem to be too much for the additional two days of cruising -- unless I am reading what your wrote incorrectly.

What Navigator has that Jewel doesn't is Flowrider and a Promenade (which I have come to enjoy as a place to sit and enjoy a light lunch or coffee in between doing things); Jewel is a wonderful ship, and we enjoyed sailing on her very much as well. Considering what I just said and getting an extra day for my cruise -- Navigator wins when the economics are considered. When you look at the Serenade cruise it seems to me that the cost differences seem to be too much for the additional two days of cruising -- unless I am reading what your wrote incorrectly.

You're correct in what you're reading. I've been keeping an eye on prices and it recently increased about $500, which it a little too expensive. Maybe there'll be a price drop sooner or later! :)

I'm going to back track on what I said earlier. Just checked prices again and it seems that with the new sale, the cruise prices dropped a little.

Not including air...

Jewel is the cheapest (but with more expensive air.)

Navigator is about $400 more than Jewel

Serenade is about $700 more than Navigator or $1100 more than Jewel

Jewel and Navigator will end up being priced very similarly when adding in air, with Serenade being about $700 more than both of them when air is factored in. Not sure if the extra days are worth that much more... Speaking of extra days, do 10 day cruises in the Caribbean have a different "vibe" than the week-long cruises?

I'm going to back track on what I said earlier. Just checked prices again and it seems that with the new sale, the cruise prices dropped a little.

Not including air...

Jewel is the cheapest (but with more expensive air.)

Navigator is about $400 more than Jewel

Serenade is about $700 more than Navigator or $1100 more than Jewel

Jewel and Navigator will end up being priced very similarly when adding in air, with Serenade being about $700 more than both of them when air is factored in. Not sure if the extra days are worth that much more... Speaking of extra days, do 10 day cruises in the Caribbean have a different "vibe" than the week-long cruises?

If Jewel and Navigator will end up being price very similarly (considering airfare), then the choice for me would be simple, as I said previously, for the extra day -- it's Navigator.

I have never taken a 10 day cruise, but we just went on Indy (8 day itinerary) and prior to that our longest cruise was a 7 day....I liked the extra day.....in my view what is not to like -- a 7 or 8 day cruise seemed to have the same assortment of people. Perhaps a 10 day cruise, because it overlaps two school weeks, might have less children on board. From what you wrote, I believe you are planning this cruise for end of March.

If Serenade is $700 more, that seems like a lot for the extra two days. But that is just me.

Navigator of the Seas

Jewel of the Seas

Having sailed on both ships I would pick the Jewel. I love the radiance class too and the itinerary is so much better.

But it is a very personal decision and more sea days rate high with some people. No matter what you decide be sure and book your pre-cruise hotel early for March dates ;)

I prefer Voyager class over Radiance class....especially in warm weather. Radiance class rarely, if ever, opens the Solarium roof...so no quiet tanning place!

Thank you, but I would never base my decision on whether the solarium roof opens or not... ;)

Of the seas, I agree!!!!

CB

If the ship is in port each day I am sure you can find a quiet tanning place somewhere;)

I prefer Voyager class over Radiance class....especially in warm weather. Radiance class rarely, if ever, opens the Solarium roof...so no quiet tanning place!

I know this would not factor into your desicion, but if it did;)

The solarium roof was open on Jewel in November, it was a very rare day:D

Also sunny with very little cloud cover:)

That's why I prefer Radiance class as THEY DO open the roof:eek:

On a side note, it does help being on the ship and witnessing it being opened CB at Sea!!

imagejpg4_zps1f43ea31.jpg

Happy Days!

Edited by PompeySailor

• 4 weeks later...

I found this while researching Navigator cabins after the refurb, so forgive the bump.

We've just gotten off the Jewel out of San Juan. We took the Navigator out of New Orleans 2 years ago. On the Jewel, we had connecting oceanview rooms. On the Navigator, we had a family suite. The funny thing is we preferred being lower in the ship and seeing the wake of the ship over the aft suite. So I don't think the room affected my opinion as mush as other stuff. We missed the extra seating room from the suite, but we just loved watching from our windows. Carnival's cove balconies might be an option for us in the future.

I wasn't enamored with the Jewel cruise as much as I was the Navigator and I'm having a problem nailing down why. I think the big thing was the lack of stuff to do on the Jewel on port days and there are many port days with the Southern Caribbean itinerary. We booked it looking forward to that many port days. When my daughter ended up with an issue in her ear after the flight, that limited us in what we could do. So staying on the ship on port days got old with limited options to eat and play.

I hounded the kids to compare the 2 cruises to figure out what they wanted to do next year. They like less port days and a ship with more to do on it. My husband prefers more port days and doesn't care as much about the ship. I just booked the 8-day Navigator out of FLL for next April. I'm hoping it's a good combo of more than the routine 3 ports and on a ship with lots to do.

You've likely made up your mind, but I thought I'd add my opinion since I'm just off the Jewel and am booking the Navigator for the 2nd time.

My first cruise was on the Jewel southern Caribbean route, and we are booked on the Navigator this August, so I can't compare the two (yet) but we loved getting to spend time in San Juan (and we also made a few trips across PR to see the biobay and a few other places) and I really enjoyed all the port stops. Since it was my first cruise I hadn't been to any of those islands before so more ports was amazing.

I found this while researching Navigator cabins after the refurb, so forgive the bump.

We've just gotten off the Jewel out of San Juan. We took the Navigator out of New Orleans 2 years ago. On the Jewel, we had connecting oceanview rooms. On the Navigator, we had a family suite. The funny thing is we preferred being lower in the ship and seeing the wake of the ship over the aft suite. So I don't think the room affected my opinion as mush as other stuff. We missed the extra seating room from the suite, but we just loved watching from our windows. Carnival's cove balconies might be an option for us in the future.

I wasn't enamored with the Jewel cruise as much as I was the Navigator and I'm having a problem nailing down why. I think the big thing was the lack of stuff to do on the Jewel on port days and there are many port days with the Southern Caribbean itinerary. We booked it looking forward to that many port days. When my daughter ended up with an issue in her ear after the flight, that limited us in what we could do. So staying on the ship on port days got old with limited options to eat and play.

I hounded the kids to compare the 2 cruises to figure out what they wanted to do next year. They like less port days and a ship with more to do on it. My husband prefers more port days and doesn't care as much about the ship. I just booked the 8-day Navigator out of FLL for next April. I'm hoping it's a good combo of more than the routine 3 ports and on a ship with lots to do.

You've likely made up your mind, but I thought I'd add my opinion since I'm just off the Jewel and am booking the Navigator for the 2nd time.

Navigator will have more to do, and it has the Flowrider which should provide a fun water activity besides the pool. It is a lot of fun.

We just returned from the Jewel a few weeks ago. I've not been on the Navigator - but have been on the Explorer and Voyager.

We arrived 2 days early in San Juan - and did some sightseeing - which I really enjoyed. We also stayed 3 days post-cruise which we very relaxing but a little too long - I was ready to be home.

As for the cruise on the Jewel - while it might just be our experience on that particular week - I'd rank it towards the bottom of our cruising experiences. The ship was nice - but is showing its age in places - but nothing too bad. The cabin steward was fine - nothing WOWing. Our biggest complaint was the food. There was one night in the MDR where they said they were trying a new menu and it was actually inedible. My crab cake was a tiny fried puck of minced crab (I think) - it was very mushy. My husband's cordon bleu was stuffed with some gooey stuff that sort of looked like cheese - and what he thought were minced mushrooms - but turned out to be the ham. And his salad was so soggy he couldn't eat it. Several tables complained and the Head Waiter did apologize. The other nights the food was 'ok'. The lettuce at the WJ salad bar was always swimming in water - and it just wasn't that good. We ate at Portfolio's one night - and it took 45 min to get our appetizers. We ate at Chops twice - and it was very good.

We both purchased the coke package to use the freestyle machines - specifically for the coke zero and flavored water. Except for the first day - the machine was out of coke zero the entire week - and many days was out of cherry add-in flavor. One day it was out of water.

We loved Barbados - but I didn't find the other ports to be much different than any other. We always enjoy St Marteen. We also went to St Croix, St Kits and Martinique.

I've always wanted to do a SJU/Southern trip - so I'm glad I did - but can't say that I'd do it again. I have seen some flights to SJU that are comparable to those to FLL - so it can be done.

Hopefully if you select the Jewel you'll have a better experience.