Sharing drink package

link99

They did used to have that rule, but since did away with it. I don't see why they'd bring it back ??

My girlfriend and I are sailing in May. There's no way she drinks as much as me, so the Drinks Package is excellent value for me as I get my full money's worth, but she would only have a few drinks a day so is going to buy ad-hoc.

We don't share the package or try to take advantage of it, we stick to the rules.

If both of us had to buy the package, we wouldn't as she wouldn't want to spend that amount of money for something she wouldn't use, and I would probably end up drinking less, so Royal would be doing themselves out of money either way...

I think there are many people who are in that same situation, which is why they, as well as other lines, have changed the rule. It all comes down to the bottom line.

After sailing mainly on Celebrity and Princess, we booked three cruises on RC over the past year, which we enjoyed. We would have continued to sail on RC, but are taking another look at our future cruises, based on the new drink prices. We've booked our next cruise on Princess and will book on other lines if we can find a way to make their ports and departures work for us.

Interesting thread. While I do not condone sharing or smuggling booze, I understand why people will start to do both in reaction to Royal's abuse if it's monopoly pricing position vis-a-vis it's on-board customers. It reminds me of how Cable company's used to abuse their power by charging exorbitant fees for adding extra lines for example. There was a whole lot of cable spliters sold in those days.;) And I assume a lot of the buyers of those spliters were honest law abiding citizens in 99% of their lives. ;)

My guess is if they have any integrity like you, they won't share no matter the price. However, if they have no integrity, they're probably already sharing and the price increase is just a convenient lame excuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My guess is if they have any integrity like you, they won't share no matter the price. However, if they have no integrity, they're probably already sharing and the price increase is just a convenient lame excuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For some of them sure they'll use the price increase as an excuse. But normal law/rule abiding people do react when they reach a breaking point when they feel that a monopolistic entity abuses that position. That entity could be a business raising prices too much, or a government raising taxes too much. I gave the Cable company example but their are almost an infinite number of examples of smuggling and black markets throughout history. Now, lots of these examples were probably started by people with low or no integrity but their use expanded as more and more law/rule abiding people came aboard. (had to throw in a cruising term there;)) Normal people just don't like it when a monopoly abuses it's power too much and 'too much' is defined differently by each person.

If I remember your history right, didn't you guys react to an business getting a monopoly on tea imports way back in 1773? :) I'm sure King George thought Sam Adams had no integrity but I wonder what Mr. Washington and Mr. Jefferson thought of Sam?(Personally I like his beer.;))

Did they refund the unused days?

I read on a different post where someone got caught and they were not refunded the remaining days, actually I have read that more than once.

So I guess more power to these folks if they want to lie, cheat and steal, hopefully they get caught, lose the remaining days on their cards along with the remaining $100s of dollars and then have to turn around and purchase single drinks for 2 people :D

Just had an "aha" moment - maybe that is why RCI doesn't make everyone in the cabin get a package - they catch these thieves and make a lot more money by taking the money they paid for a package and then making them purchase single drinks!

Packages that are cancelled are not refunded for unused days.

I think RCI should simply charge the account for the additional drink package when passengers are caught sharing. After all, if they've been enjoying two packages they should pay for them!

There are people like us who cruise regularly. For the first time in about 10 years, we will have 3 people (me and my two daughters) sharing a cabin. We have two cabins, but the other cabin has my Grandson and a friend sharing it. Between the three of us, I take medications that limit the amount of alcohol I can drink to about 2 glasses of wine or a couple of fruity drinks per day. One of my daughters might have a glass of wine with dinner or after dinner, but doesn't drink. My other daughter has enough drinks to make the drink package a good bargain for her. If all three of us had to purchase the drink package if she purchased it, we would be paying hundreds of dollars that we wouldn't use. She would just have to pay for the drinks as she goes. We always purchase a soda package..and we always bring a 12 pack of soda because Coke is not our first choice and occasionally, late at night or early in the morning, we would like to have a soda without having to trek to a bar in pj's or wait for room service to be called. I doubt that there have been 2 days in about 20 days of cruising that we have gotten our money's worth on the soda package, but it's convenient and we do drink soda so we purchase it. To pay $20+ a day for two frozen drinks by the pool is pretty steep. We are all Diamond, so we can go to the DL during a specific 3-hour timeframe, or use the three drink swipes on our cards, but it doesn't cover just any drink and getting a list of the drinks that are covered has to be found here on these boards because that is ALSO not found through the cruise line. They make choosing a drink package as confusing as possible and a list of drink prices at their bars is one of the best kept secrets on the cruise ship. What's covered? Drinks up to $10...but where's the list with the prices? I've gotten a drink at the pool bar, then my daughter has seen it and went to the same bar and gotten charged a different price. I asked the bartender once, and had both of our receipts. He told me that the cheaper receipt was due to it being charged at a wrong price..in other words, both should have been a higher price. If the SAME bartender can't figure out the prices....??? I don't see how anyone can disagree that the way they roll out the prices or manage them isn't screwed up. Also, the cheapest drink package includes the fresh squeezed OJ, the next one up, which is more expensive DOESN'T include the fresh squeezed OJ, and then the next one up (can't remember the nifty names they gave them) DOES include it. How screwed up is that? Here's my question: If I drink 2-3 sodas per day, a glass of fresh squeezed OJ, 2 Mango Tango's or Pina Coladas a day and a bottled water...skip the wine...what package would benefit me, if any? I don't think there's one that fits my drinking "profile" except to just buy it as I go.

Did they refund the unused days?

nope. you forfeit any unused portion/cost. he was actually lucky they did not kick him off the ship, as they can do that. usually you get one 'warning' and the second time you get busted, that's it.

An easy fix would be to, (1) do away with drink packages all together, and (2), make the prices for drinks on par with the average restaurant or bar you visit on the cruise. Lower drink prices will see profits based on volume.

I will drink 3-4 beers pool side if they are $3 each, however I will go without if said beer is $8 each. They can make $ on volume by offering fair prices. Based on the current packages, i will not get a drink package, to steep for 7 days, however, I will probably not have more than 3-4 beers all cruise if they're $8 each. RC will make more money on me, if the beers are cheaper and I pay as I go.

umm they are comparable in many locations.. and a $3 beer? yeah the crap tap stuff that is used for all the happy hour dollar specials. no thank you. I may drink fewer of the $8 ones, but they are better, and more satisfying than the cheap stuff.

nope. you forfeit any unused portion/cost. he was actually lucky they did not kick him off the ship, as they can do that. usually you get one 'warning' and the second time you get busted, that's it.

I can not wait to hear the first time someone gets kicked of the ship for giving away something they already paid for. The News will have a Field Day with that one. This has been going on well over three years now has not happened yet

Edited by link99
add content

I can not wait to hear the first time someone gets kicked of the ship for giving away something they already paid for. The News will have a Field Day with that one. This has been going on well over three years now has not happened yet

UHHH...they haven't had the packages for three years yet, and the first year (up until early last year, if memory serves) everyone in the cabin was required to purchase one.;)

Edited by orville99

UHHH...they haven't had the packages for three years yet, and the first year (up until early last year, if memory serves) everyone in the cabin was required to purchase one.;)

That is correct. The drinks packages were trialed on 3 ships in Spring/Summer 2012 and originally did not have to be bought by everyone in the cabin. The experience on Independence out of the UK (with people abusing the packages by sharing them) meant that they quickly introduced the rule that everyone in the cabin had to buy. That rule was changed at the start of 2014.

There are people like us who cruise regularly. For the first time in about 10 years, we will have 3 people (me and my two daughters) sharing a cabin. We have two cabins, but the other cabin has my Grandson and a friend sharing it. Between the three of us, I take medications that limit the amount of alcohol I can drink to about 2 glasses of wine or a couple of fruity drinks per day. One of my daughters might have a glass of wine with dinner or after dinner, but doesn't drink. My other daughter has enough drinks to make the drink package a good bargain for her. If all three of us had to purchase the drink package if she purchased it, we would be paying hundreds of dollars that we wouldn't use. She would just have to pay for the drinks as she goes. We always purchase a soda package..and we always bring a 12 pack of soda because Coke is not our first choice and occasionally, late at night or early in the morning, we would like to have a soda without having to trek to a bar in pj's or wait for room service to be called. I doubt that there have been 2 days in about 20 days of cruising that we have gotten our money's worth on the soda package, but it's convenient and we do drink soda so we purchase it. To pay $20+ a day for two frozen drinks by the pool is pretty steep. We are all Diamond, so we can go to the DL during a specific 3-hour timeframe, or use the three drink swipes on our cards, but it doesn't cover just any drink and getting a list of the drinks that are covered has to be found here on these boards because that is ALSO not found through the cruise line. They make choosing a drink package as confusing as possible and a list of drink prices at their bars is one of the best kept secrets on the cruise ship. What's covered? Drinks up to $10...but where's the list with the prices? I've gotten a drink at the pool bar, then my daughter has seen it and went to the same bar and gotten charged a different price. I asked the bartender once, and had both of our receipts. He told me that the cheaper receipt was due to it being charged at a wrong price..in other words, both should have been a higher price. If the SAME bartender can't figure out the prices....??? I don't see how anyone can disagree that the way they roll out the prices or manage them isn't screwed up. Also, the cheapest drink package includes the fresh squeezed OJ, the next one up, which is more expensive DOESN'T include the fresh squeezed OJ, and then the next one up (can't remember the nifty names they gave them) DOES include it. How screwed up is that? Here's my question: If I drink 2-3 sodas per day, a glass of fresh squeezed OJ, 2 Mango Tango's or Pina Coladas a day and a bottled water...skip the wine...what package would benefit me, if any? I don't think there's one that fits my drinking "profile" except to just buy it as I go.

The only package that includes fresh juices AND alcohol (plus the water and soda you mentioned) is the Ultimate package at $64.90 per day. Priced individually, you are looking at $35-40 max after gratuity. Sounds like you are better off paying as you go.

On our cruise a guy who was sharing with his friend told me his card/package was cancelled. He was then paying per drink.

I can't believe the cruise line stood up for anything. They don't enforce the dress code or seat saving to name a few. They are usually too afraid to upset the paying customer.

[quote name='grandgeezer'][COLOR="Red"]I can't believe the cruise line stood up for anything.[/COLOR] They don't enforce the dress code or seat saving to name a few. They are usually too afraid to upset the paying customer.[/QUOTE]

Dress code does not effect their bottom line. Neither does chair hogging :) If sharing a drink package didnt, rest assured they would never say anything. Same thing with smuggling booze. Edited by ryano

[quote name='grandgeezer']I can't believe the cruise line stood up for anything. They don't enforce the dress code or seat saving to name a few. They are usually too afraid to upset the paying customer.[/QUOTE]

That's because not enforcing the dress code and stopping people from saving seats does not affect RCI's bottom line. Sharing the drink package does.

Craig

[COLOR="Black"]It's nice to know they don't refund. The big thing is how long it takes to get caught. If's it early in the cruise, it's a big bite but if the cruise is more than half over, not so much.

Of course, it would be so much better if drinks & packages were reasonably priced. Then people would be less able to think they're justified in stealing...........[/COLOR]

[quote name='griffy116'] Here's my question: If I drink 2-3 sodas per day, a glass of fresh squeezed OJ, 2 Mango Tango's or Pina Coladas a day and a bottled water...skip the wine...what package would benefit me, if any? I don't think there's one that fits my drinking "profile" except to just buy it as I go.[/quote]

Your drinking "profile" sounds a lot like mine, except I don't drink soda and would instead drink the premium coffees and teas. I would drink the fresh squeezed OJ and the non-alcoholic frozen drinks, so I bought the Royal Replenish package. It also includes bottled water, which I plan to grab whenever I can and keep them in our mini bar. I am going to enjoy the non-alcoholic frozen drinks, but I'll probably end up buying at least a couple frozen drinks with alcohol in them during the cruise.

[quote name='Laurin612']Your drinking "profile" sounds a lot like mine, except I don't drink soda and would instead drink the premium coffees and teas. I would drink the fresh squeezed OJ and the non-alcoholic frozen drinks, so I bought the Royal Replenish package. It also includes bottled water, which I plan to grab whenever I can and keep them in our mini bar. I am going to enjoy the non-alcoholic frozen drinks, but I'll probably end up buying at least a couple frozen drinks with alcohol in them during the cruise.[/quote]

You two sound like you would benefit from sharing a drink package....LOL:eek:

Although I hate their new sales, We just booked a 9 night for Thanksgiving. They gave us 1 free package and 1 half off. I was happy. :D

The OP sounds like a real winner.