Sun Food

Scotchick

We were just on the Sun 2/1-2/8 2015.

The buffet was mixed in terms of quality. Lot of choices but odd combinations.

They have a few interesting poolside buffets.

Only ate in the MDR for lunch which was fine!

We had the UDP which was a challenge. Cagney's was not as good as expected; Teppanyaki was good. The best was the french restaurant.

I would not like to depend on the Garden Cafe but at lunch you can eat on the aft Great Outdoors which was really nice.

Loved the ship overall.

Has anyone been on the Sun recently. How was the food? Thanks for any info.

Was on the Sun recently. Love the ship, but sadly the food is pretty much NCL standard, not too good. They still have the old menus and you MUST go UDP to get even a decent meal. Buffet small and adequate if buffets turn you on.

We were on the Sun recently. The buffet was okay, but if you really checked out the different areas- it is spread out- inside in Garden Café and Moderno (breakfast and lunch), and on the outside Great Outdoors, there was always something that caught our eye. Between the three areas it was fine.

On the first night I had a delicious steak in the main dining room- it melted in my mouth. We tend to eat early for dinner, 5:30-6:30pm. The service here was a bit slow one night, but we just go with the flow!

We went to the Sports Bar and enjoyed that for a snack or light supper- the wings were very good.

Las Ramblas had ceviche that was good- very limited choices here, appetizers and desserts.

We enjoyed the poolside BBQ- nice seafood rice dish!

Now for the pay restaurants we enjoyed Le Bistro- good, but we ate twice at La Cucina which was our favorite.

Way too subjective. I'm easy to please when it comes to food and always find many items really good. I've never been dissatisfied with the food (on any of the ships). Some items I personally don't care for, but much to choose from. I think the secret is realizing that there are many choices.

Has anyone been on the Sun recently. How was the food? Thanks for any info.

We just got off the 3/8 - 3/15 Sun. We've been on 50 cruises and this we placed second from the bottom. The name for their menus was repetition, repetition, repetition. This was in the MDR. The buffet taste was decidedly better for breakfast & lunch. The on -deck BBQ was THE BEST and not to be missed.

We just got off the 3/8 - 3/15 Sun. We've been on 50 cruises and this we placed second from the bottom. The name for their menus was repetition, repetition, repetition. This was in the MDR. The buffet taste was decidedly better for breakfast & lunch. The on -deck BBQ was THE BEST and not to be missed.

Spring for the UDP. My wife and I purchase it on every cruise, and will never sail without it. And we also have been on a decent number of cruises for comparison...the freestyle approach begs for the UDP so you can "restaurant hop" around the ship.

Spring for the UDP. My wife and I purchase it on every cruise, and will never sail without it. And we also have been on a decent number of cruises for comparison...the freestyle approach begs for the UDP so you can "restaurant hop" around the ship.

We couldn't afford the UDP. We are on a long cruise, but I will certainly be buying the UDP on more evenings, especially after these answers. Thank you everybody for your honest answers.

We couldn't afford the UDP. We are on a long cruise, but I will certainly be buying the UDP on more evenings, especially after these answers. Thank you everybody for your honest answers.

What I meant to say was that I would buy the speciality dining on some evenings. Thank you.

What I meant to say was that I would buy the speciality dining on some evenings. Thank you.

Just back from a week on the Sun. Overall we thought the food was quite good. We had the UDP, so can't comment on dinner in the MDR (MDR breakfast was good). IMHO: Cagney's was great for steak or the small lobster tails; Le Bistro not as good...had to send back cold escargot and tough lobster tail (but the staff responded well); La Cucina's warm bread w/olive oil medley and the calamari appetizer were excellent; Moderno was the best bet for breakfast or lunch (smaller selection, but way more relaxed than Garden Cafe); Great Outdoors also good for a late lunch; didn't try pool bbq, but it looked and smelled good.

We were just on the Sun 2/1-2/8 2015.

Loved the ship overall.

I'm so glad to hear you say that. I booked us on the Sun for a southbound Alaska to Vancouver in July. I was in the "First time cruisers" forum and people had said they would never go NCL again.

I'm so glad to hear you say that. I booked us on the Sun for a southbound Alaska to Vancouver in July. I was in the "First time cruisers" forum and people had said they would never go NCL again.

We loved the Sun when we were on her in Alaska in 2013. The ship has some really great spaces to take in all the beautiful scenery and the glaciers. The Observation deck forward on deck 12 and the Great Outdoors area aft on deck 11 are terrific places to see all there is to see in Alaska. We did northbound but either way, I'd sail the Sun in Alaska again in a heartbeat.

We were just on the Sun about 4 months ago. I have never had a problem finding SOMETHING to eat on any ship. The food was the norm at the buffet that you will find on any of the NCL fleet. However, the area is VERY small I thought, which limits the amount they put out and the variety. (We sailed the Sky the week after that and since it was the sister ship, it was pretty much the same way, extremely small and not much out). In my opinion, the selection and variety and especially the amount on the rest of the fleet has been by far better IMO. But like I said, there's always something you can find to eat somewhere on the ship. Don't forget the sports bar for that awesome comfort food (although not open 24/7 like Blue Lagoon/O'Sheehans, but still the same food). :)