Patters - Why do you need them before your cruise?

Zuki

Why is there such a need for the Patters past and present? Don't these change frequently?

We've only cruised twice, but both times we read the Patters like the daily newspaper -- over breakfast and planned our day. It was a relaxing way to determine what we would do either together or separately.

There was a post I saw a few days ago that had Patters all the way back to 2012 for the various ships. I do not understand the purpose. What am I missing?

Other then an entertainer or 2 and other minor changes they are pretty much the same from cruise to cruise.

As with menu's I would rather not spoil the surprise and wait until I am onboard to look at either one.

We never look at the DR menu before we arrive. :D

While some would rather be surprised. Some of us enjoy seeing the activities and specials as part of our excitement and prepping in our upcoming cruise. I can also plan around our sons time in the clubs with playing Bingo, so we can spend time together too. And what spa treatment I might want on a port day. To each his own. :D Happy Curising!!

The only old Patters I'm interested in don't seem to be posted anywhere. I'd love to find the Patters for Sea Princess September 7 - 17th 2011. It was a 10 day Alaska cruise out of San Francisco. That was our first cruise and the one that made me realize I was so very wrong about cruising. I absolutely knew I would hate pretty much everything about cruising. As it turned out, when I had to get off of that ship at the end of the cruise I wanted nothing more than to just get right back on. I'd love to find the Patters for that voyage. :)

Edited by Thrak

I'm a "planner", and knowing my options ahead of time can really help me get the most out of my vacation. Simple example: on day 7, there's a talk at 2:30 that I'd really like to see. That'd be smack in the middle of my afternoon snooze. Therefore I might adjust my schedule the night before to accommodate, but OOPS I won't know about it until I get the patter when I return from dinner. Ugh.

Why is there such a need for the Patters past and present? Don't these change frequently?

We've only cruised twice, but both times we read the Patters like the daily newspaper -- over breakfast and planned our day. It was a relaxing way to determine what we would do either together or separately.

There was a post I saw a few days ago that had Patters all the way back to 2012 for the various ships. I do not understand the purpose. What am I missing?

It's a good question! I don't NEED to read patters ahead of time, but I do admit that I have - mostly for curiosity sake to see what a typical sea day looks like on an itinerary with several sea days for example.

I would ask the same question about why people keep lists of which cruise director is on which ship, or Hotel Manager, Steward, etc. Who cares! (apparently some do!)

It's fun to read and research while you wait for your cruise...I guess it's just something to do.

Edited by cpcanuck

Before my first cruise I was curious as heck about everything. I studied the menus, read old patters and anything else I could find.

Then I cruised. That first cruise Princess announced a new menu. Everything I had read about and anticipated went out the window. Obviously I knew that old patters were not going to be the same, but, as I said, I was curious.

Now, I am platinum and don't care much about old patters. I know when I board, there will be new ones that will be much more relevant.

I'm a "planner", and knowing my options ahead of time can really help me get the most out of my vacation. Simple example: on day 7, there's a talk at 2:30 that I'd really like to see. That'd be smack in the middle of my afternoon snooze. Therefore I might adjust my schedule the night before to accommodate, but OOPS I won't know about it until I get the patter when I return from dinner. Ugh.

Yet that is exactly the type of event which has a good chance of being at a different time or even on a different day or even not offered on a subsequent cruise.

When we have asked guest lecturers on board when their next lecture was scheduled, they have always told us they do not know themselves until they read the Patter each day.

Yet that is exactly the type of event which has a good chance of being at a different time or even on a different day or even not offered on a subsequent cruise.

When we have asked guest lecturers on board when their next lecture was scheduled, they have always told us they do not know themselves until they read the Patter each day.

There you go! Everything is subject to change.

This makes me laugh! Reminds me of my sister and I when we were about 10 yrs of age and our family took a road trip. We each were given a journal to write about our trip. Part way through my parents decided to take a detour. Well my sister was upset because that wasn't what we had planned! Turned out she had already filled in her journal about what we were doing and where we are going! We still tease her about that one.

When we cruise, we go with a big group (in-laws, parents, wife and kids).

It might be because I enable it, but, between mobility issues, anxiety problems, and some anti-social tendencies, not to mention kids club schedules, someone needs to coordinate if we want to do some things together. If I've read the patters (and, better still, recent "live" reports) from recent cruises on the same ship, I have a lot more insight into which events which people might like to join.

When we cruise, we go with a big group (in-laws, parents, wife and kids).

It might be because I enable it, but, between mobility issues, anxiety problems, and some anti-social tendencies, not to mention kids club schedules, someone needs to coordinate if we want to do some things together. If I've read the patters (and, better still, recent "live" reports) from recent cruises on the same ship, I have a lot more insight into which events which people might like to join.

And that is a good reason to learn in advance what types of activities are likely to be available.

Once on board every evening, you know what to look for in the Patter for the next day.

Because it's fun to anticipate your cruise. I don't look at old Patters, but I always like to look at current menus. There's always at least one "meh" night, and thats when we book Crown Grill or Sabatini's. By knowing in advance, we can get the time we want.

I read threads on CC, too, because it gets me in the cruise spirit.

I've never cruised before so was interested to know what was offered on a cruise so looked at all the Patters for the Alaska cruises. Unfortunately that cruise has been postponed and we're doing a British isles cruise first. The Patter for that cruise are very different to the Alaska cruises.

I'm not using them to plan each day as I still don't know what to expect but more to anticipate the cruise which adds to the excitement for me.

My DH has been impressed with the variety of entertainment, lectures and other things to do on board.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by paddingtonbear

1) I'm excited about the trip and want to dream a little in advance about being there. It keeps me sane till I leave. :)

2) To see what interesting things there might be to do.

a) So I can learn in advance what they are so I know whether it's something that is interesting to me or not (e.g. Champagne hoopla? Who's the Liar? I asked about a bunch of games I saw appear so I'd know).

b) To know if there is something I'm particularly interested in that I might want to try to plan around. This can range from happy hours (so I don't buy a beverage package) to perhaps a game/talk/movie. I saw that Imitation Game is up on ships now, so I won't go see it before we leave as my husband and I had talked about. I know they won't be identical - but they do have a LOT of repetition, from activities to nights the crab shack/pub is open.

Funny that this was asked, as I am traveling with a group of about 40 people to Alaska in June. I've never been on a Princess ship before, and was trying to rely on my sister's memory of her cruise to Alaska 2 years ago, to help explaining what goes on while onboard the ship, and unfortunately her memory isn't that great! (she couldn't even remember what the name of the ship she was on!) I've been asked by several people who are traveling with us, who have never been on a cruise, what there is to do... I finally found some past Patters and can see that the Alaskan cruise on Princess is much different than the Caribbean cruises on NCL that I have been on, as far as some onboard activities, so I'm glad I found them!

I like to see the Patters so I have an idea of what to expect once I get on board. Now that I have a cruise booked with my children, a first time for them, on a bigger ship than last time, so again, I like to get the lay of the land so to speak.

As we get closer, I'll be more interested in specifics like movies playing so I can look up reviews etc. on them to see if I want my littles watching them.

I like to read the patters and the menus ahead of time. To me it is just fun and part of the research process before a cruise. I also like to share them with friends who have never cruised before so they get an idea of what to expect.

We take each day as it comes when we are onboard the ship. I never worry that the patters schedule was identical to what was posted here from other cruises (same ship/same itinerary).