Coffee in the Baltics?

Okay, admittedly an odd question perhaps, but, we do love our coffee. And after a couple of Med cruises, especially to Italy, coffee (North American style), is not their thing!

If you have experienced the Baltics, do you remember if coffee places (whatever the equivalent to Starbucks might be), had larger sizes for sale? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Scandinavians love their coffee.

Is it very expensive? We'll be going to Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St.Petersburg, Tallin and Warnemunde, and I hope to be able to get something more than an espresso-sized cup!

We will also be spending a couple of days in Copenhagen, in a hotel with a kitchenette. Is it worth bringing a bag of coffee from home to make in the room, or is the price of a package of coffee there not that bad?

Thanks from any like minded 'java junkies' out there!

Okay, admittedly an odd question perhaps, but, we do love our coffee. And after a couple of Med cruises, especially to Italy, coffee (North American style), is not their thing!

If you have experienced the Baltics, do you remember if coffee places (whatever the equivalent to Starbucks might be), had larger sizes for sale? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Scandinavians love their coffee.

Is it very expensive? We'll be going to Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St.Petersburg, Tallin and Warnemunde, and I hope to be able to get something more than an espresso-sized cup!

We will also be spending a couple of days in Copenhagen, in a hotel with a kitchenette. Is it worth bringing a bag of coffee from home to make in the room, or is the price of a package of coffee there not that bad?

Thanks from any like minded 'java junkies' out there!

Hi, I can only speak for NE Germany but the people here are also very fond of their coffee.

There are no actual Starbucks in the Warnemünde area but one place in the centre of Rostock, 'Meyerbeer' in Breite Str, is very similar. In fact if you google 'Starbucks Rostock' it comes up so maybe they have a connection.

In general you will find that in table-service restaurants and higher-end cafes coffee will be served in small cups. In counter-service cafes and bakeries you will generally get a choice of straight-black, milk coffee, coffee-crema, cappuchino, latte macchiato and variations of these with a choice of small, standard or large size cups. Cream, milk and sugar are freely available, you just help yourself. There will also be the choice of take-away containers in the three sizes. Prices vary but in my favourite bakery a large straight black is 2.50 and a standard latte macchiato 3.20. The standard also varies but not much as the coffee is usually made by a machine. It is only in up-market coffee shops that you will find a barista showing off his skill.

Enjoy :)

Happy cruising,

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
extra info

Finns are the biggest consumers of coffee in the world, drinking three times as much per capita as the Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_coffee_consumption_per_capita

http://www.kysy.fi/en/kysymys/finland-biggest-consumer-coffee-world-could-you-tell-me-more

Even if there are expresso style cafes here as well, there should be no problem finding a place that serves a decent cup of coffee.

And nowadays there is a Starbucks in Helsinki, on Northern Esplanade across the street to the Swedish theatre.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Finns are the biggest consumers of coffee in the world, drinking three times as much per capita as the Americans.

http://www.kysy.fi/en/kysymys/finland-biggest-consumer-coffee-world-could-you-tell-me-more

Even if there are expresso style cafes here as well, there should be no problem finding a place that serves a decent cup of coffee.

And nowadays there is a Starbucks in Helsinki, on Northern Esplanade across the street to the Swedish theatre.

Oh yes, I love the coffee in Finland! Never mind Starbucks! :D:D I didn't know that Finns consumed 3 times as much a Americans though - interesting little factoid.

Edited by dogs4fun

Thanks everyone, this is very good news! It does not have to be Starbucks, but I thought using that as an example for the sizes of cups would help!

Here in Canada, we have a very popular coffee chain called Tim Horton's. There are several other chains too, but that is the most common here. You can get medium, large and extra large sizes.

I could not get anything bigger than a "small" in Italy, and while it is good, I always wanted more than a thimbleful! Especially for the price! Here, a large is about $2.

Norwegians also love their coffee. While a lot of people drink espresso, filter coffee is also quite common and available at any coffee shop. However, the cup sizes will probably be smaller. The largest I usually see is only around 400 ml.

Giantfan

I am really not a fan of McDonalds, but sometimes pop in to use their toilets as they tend to be clean.

Their coffee used to be undrinkable in the UK, but has improved in the past couple of years. I think they now remember to put the coffee beans in, which beforehand they used to forget to do. It was hot, tasteless, brown coloured water.

Yes, good coffee is available in the Baltics. If you are an aficionado of sugary flavored coffee beverages - those are not on every street corner as they are in some cities in the U.S.

My grandmother mailed coffee to her family in Sweden during WWII as none was available in the stores. Decades later, family members still spoke of the welcome gift.

I've enjoyed rich strong dark coffee throughout Scandinavia and the Baltics, although free refills are not readily available in many places - a cultural difference, and to be respected.

If you like coffee from MacDonald's, they are everywhere. In Stockholm and Copenhagen we saw 7/11 stores that sell coffee.

I am not a coffee person but I have heard MacDonald's coffee isn't to bad.

Cheers

Len

In Stockholm there is also plenty of Pressbyrån kiosks/minusupermarkets at which you can get coffee and a cinnamon buns.

Although the latter usually isn't of particular good quality.

Giantfan

I am really not a fan of McDonalds, but sometimes pop in to use their toilets as they tend to be clean.

Their coffee used to be undrinkable in the UK, but has improved in the past couple of years. I think they now remember to put the coffee beans in, which beforehand they used to forget to do. It was hot, tasteless, brown coloured water.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

PNW Traveler

I think refilling your coffee cup as many times as you wish is a north American thing. Also, if you had unlimited refills of Italian, Spanish, Portuguese etc coffees you'd be hyper all day and probably wouldn't sleep for a week.

European coffee tends to be much stronger than north American, so one will normally suffice.

Also, remember, we tend to drink milky coffee for breakfast and a strong black coffee after lunch or dinner. With our lunch or dinner we have water or wine.

PNW Traveler

I think refilling your coffee cup as many times as you wish is a north American thing. Also, if you had unlimited refills of Italian, Spanish, Portuguese etc coffees you'd be hyper all day and probably wouldn't sleep for a week.

European coffee tends to be much stronger than north American, so one will normally suffice.

Also, remember, we tend to drink milky coffee for breakfast and a strong black coffee after lunch or dinner. With our lunch or dinner we have water or wine.

The only place in Europe I have ever come across refilling as many times as you wish is Ikea, where the coffee is very weak. London Towner is right about our coffee being stronger. In fact, some people ask for half-strength if they want to drink more than one cup.

Just a tip when ordering. If you are having lunch or dinner and want to drink coffee afterwards, never order your coffee at the same time as other drinks as they will be served while you are waiting for the meal. The waiter will ask if you want coffee when clearing the plates.

Enjoy :)

Anni

Well I can see we Canadians will be in good company in the Baltics!!

With all of these recommendations for places to go, it will be fun to try them. A mini-review might be in order after our Sept cruise! This photo convinces me I'll be able to get a take out coffee that is larger than 30ml :

http://www.waynescoffee.se/waynes-card/ladda-ditt-kort!.aspx

Restaurants in Canada vary- casual places serve big mugs of coffee, often with free refills. More formal dining places have small cups, but usually refills are offered.

• 3 weeks later...

I would imagine that coffee, like everything else, would be expensive in the Scandinavian countries.

Look at the average prices posted last year for coffee in Copenhagen which cost more than $6:

http://www.worldofwanderlust.com/just-expensive-copenhagen/

bochata

Your coffee experience in SPB sounds great. Exactly how I would like my coffee. When we go back to SPB (which I am sure we will) I will remember to ask the guide. Starbucks is only an excuse for coffee. In London it is very expensive, bad coffee in Starbucks. They are fortunate in Rome too as there is no Starbucks. I was very pleasantly surprised many years ago in Bangkok where they also serve excellent coffee.

We have a few Starbucks here, and most are quite good with a variety of beans and different strengths available each day. The independent shops too, with fresh roasts and a variety of beans, are also nice to visit.

I like many different coffees and am partial to dark roasts, but do not care much for espresso. A little teaspoon of coffee is not my thing! So if our guide recommends a good place in SPB, I look forward to trying out whatever brew they make, in a larger size!

Our driver and guide located a very nice Starbucks in St Petersburg last June(2014). We had some extra time on our second morning and they asked us if we had any requests? Since I collect Starbucks mugs from all our travels I spoke up. The two of them located a brand new store. We also were able to order our own drinks without help. All sizes! I can figure out " mocha" in any language! They did not have the city mug that I was looking for on display so our guide spoke to them in Russian? One of the employees went into the back room and returned with several mugs. So yes you can include St Petersburg on the Starbucks list.:)

PNW Traveler

In my town most places offer free refills of coffee.

A few month ago we had a wonderful brunch in New York and a Mimosa was included in the price but we had to pay extra for coffee! That will defenitely not happen in Sweden!