Tourists killed at Bardo Museum in Tunis

Tunis attack: Gunmen kill tourists in museum raid

As soon as I heard this was happening, I checked the cruise schedules. Costa Fascinosa and MSC Splendida are both in Tunis today. :(

There is a thread in the MSC forum:

Splendida in Tunisia today

And a statement from Costa on their *** page saying that all guests on excursions were immediately brought back to the ship (but nothing about independent travelers).

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I heard this on BBC lunchtime news. At the time it was 'breaking news', so they didn't have a lot of details.

Another blow to the already fragile north African tourist market.

We went to Luxor two consecutive years prior to the 'Arab Spring' problems. Would love to return to Egypt, but it is such a volatile region at present.

I don't think it was a specific attack on cruise passengers. It was an attack on a MUSEUM. Unfortunately, some cruise passengers may have been inside. Details so far, haven't been released. There were also Tunisians inside the museum and other tourists who were not on a cruise.

A dreadful thing to happen anywhere, but not an attack on cruises. Unfortunately, we are not living in a very pleasant world at the moment.

Whether the attackers were intentionally going after cruise ship tourists or not, I expect this means that MSC and Costa (and other cruise lines) will now cancel upcoming calls in Tunisia.

There is now a thread on the Costa forum:

17 Killed in Terrorist Attack at Tunesia including possibly including Costa pax

And a news article on the CC main site:

Cruise Ship Passengers in Tunisia During Terrorist Attack

I don't think it was a specific attack on cruise passengers. It was an attack on a MUSEUM. Unfortunately, some cruise passengers may have been inside. Details so far, haven't been released. There were also Tunisians inside the museum and other tourists who were not on a cruise.

A dreadful thing to happen anywhere, but not an attack on cruises. Unfortunately, we are not living in a very pleasant world at the moment.

While acknowledging there is a lot of confusion in the reports issued so far, some news stories are in fact stating that the victims were "deliberately targeted as they exited cruise ship buses by the museum in Tunis."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11419601

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3000614/Tourists-shot-dead-Tunisia-Bardo-Museum.html

This appeared this morning: "ROME (Reuters) - Italy's Costa Cruises, a unit of Carnival Corp, said on Thursday it had cancelled stops in Tunisia after gunmen killed at least 17 tourists and two Tunisians at the national museum in the capital on Wednesday.

A statement said the company had decided to "cancel all the forthcoming stops our ships are due to make in Tunisia". It did not say how long the suspension would last, but a spokeswoman for the company said it could remain in place for the rest of the year."

Tunisia is a fairly popular destination for French, German, Italian and British holidaymakers, BBC news reported about an hour and a half ago that the British tour operators who currently have clients there will stop excursions to Tunis for the time being. However, the British foreign office is not advising against visiting most parts of Tunisia.

The advise states not to travel to the parts of the country that boarder with Algeria and Libya, but the main part of the country has no travel restriction.

British tour operators presently are not evacuating or stopping their future flights. Mind you, I can't imagine them now getting too many bookings to visit Tunisia.

I think the news also said that MSC and Costa were not going to stop at Tunis for the time being.

I think the cruise ships will only stop calling into Tunis if foreign offices deem it totally unsafe.

To this day, Tunis is the only port which DW and I have visited in which we got off the ship to go into town but decided to turn around when we got to customs and immigration.

I just had bad "vibes" when we docked.

The dead were from both the Costa and MSC lines. Very sad. I see in the one article that an ISIS tweeter said that there would be an attack in Tunis at a cultural place. I don't understand why this wasn't passed along to anyone.

We have two Mediterranean cruises planned this summer, one to Greece and Ephesus in Turkey and the other out of Barcelona to French Riveria, Rome, Florence and Naples. The first one is paid for and we are going. But the second one we are considering moving to next year in view of the current situation. We had thought that we would go outside of the major Italian cities like doing Amalfi coast in Naples, Cinque Terre not Florence, Oliveto while in Rome and Monte Carlo in France, so we would be staying out of the major cities, but I don't even know if that is enough. I am not sure if we will be safer now because everyone is on alert. I saw that ISIS has stated that this is the first drop of rain in a series of attacks. This ISIS has no regard for any human life. What do others think? As much as I would love to do this itinerary, I don't want to take unnecessary risks. I feel sorry for the people whose livelihood depend of tourism and are seeing their businesses ruined by these extremists.

angeleyes27

These terrorists can strike anywhere in the world, even your home town. They certainly won't stop me going anywhere. They are ruthless, immoral scum. Besides, this topic has been covered on another thread.

If you think going some place is unsafe, simple, don't go.

The dead were from both the Costa and MSC lines. Very sad. I see in the one article that an ISIS tweeter said that there would be an attack in Tunis at a cultural place. I don't understand why this wasn't passed along to anyone.

We have two Mediterranean cruises planned this summer, one to Greece and Ephesus in Turkey and the other out of Barcelona to French Riveria, Rome, Florence and Naples. The first one is paid for and we are going. But the second one we are considering moving to next year in view of the current situation. We had thought that we would go outside of the major Italian cities like doing Amalfi coast in Naples, Cinque Terre not Florence, Oliveto while in Rome and Monte Carlo in France, so we would be staying out of the major cities, but I don't even know if that is enough. I am not sure if we will be safer now because everyone is on alert. I saw that ISIS has stated that this is the first drop of rain in a series of attacks. This ISIS has no regard for any human life. What do others think? As much as I would love to do this itinerary, I don't want to take unnecessary risks. I feel sorry for the people whose livelihood depend of tourism and are seeing their businesses ruined by these extremists.

You seem to be extraordinarily preoccupied with the dangers of your upcoming travel. I remember you posted similar concerns regarding your eastern Med cruise.

The honest truth is that there is risk associated with living in this world. No one would have suspected that this would happen when and where it did, and no one really knows (outside the fanatics who plan these things) where the next bombing or attack might be.

Someone else posted something on another CC thread about the event in Tunisia, and it really hit home for me. Granted, I am a logical thinker not an emotional one, so although the events gave me a moment's pause (not least because I've been in Tunisia several times in recent years, including two visits to the extraordinary Bardo museum), it is not going to change my future travel plans in any real way.

What this person said was that this event happened at one museum on one particular day. But in all the other museums of the world, people entered safely, had a wonderful tour, and then went back to their home, hotel or cruise ship. The odds of you being at the one location on the one day when something like this happens are astronomically low.

Of course it is extraordinarily sad for those involved. But I think it is really important to keep in mind that Tunisia, of ALL the countries that went through a political uprising, is being quite successful at it. They are a democratic country at the moment, and they are very engaged in making a success of it.

If you are going to let your worries affect your enjoyment of your planned trips, perhaps it would be better to put them off for now.

I have two land trips planned this year to Europe, and I am not thinking of canceling them or putting them off.

Believe me, I don't mean to be alarmist. I have to make a decision within the next 2 weeks as to whether or not to do the Western Mediterranean cruise in July. I really would love to look forward to it and I think it sounds like a great cruise, although I have been to Italy before in 2013, so if I don't get to do it this year, I will be okay. I understand what the odds are, that the possibility is remote. I am trying to figure out if there is more of a risk this year or if next summer would be better or worse. I am about 50/50 in deciding what to do.

In 1985, I traveled to Rome a week after a substantial terrorist attack and felt safe because the country was on high alert and I thought the chances of a second attack so soon were slim but I was younger then. I have gotten premonitions before but it is difficult to tell if this is one or not. My sister worked in the Twin Towers on 9-11. She decided not to go to work that day and was spared. She did not work in the city for years afterward from fear. My co-workers cousin worked in the Twin Towers that day. She left the building when the first tower was hit. All her co-workers were killed. So it is not anything that anyone can predict. I am truly undecided and change my mind every day.

These are the things that scare me.

http://www.kplctv.com/story/28569072/isis-attacks-in-n-africa-alarm-italys-president

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/20/world/isis-expansion/index.html

http://searchlight-germany.blogspot.com/2015/03/isis-sets-sights-on-mediterranean.html

http://www.ibtimes.com/isis-europe-italy-bolsters-military-presence-mediterranean-against-threats-north-1853770

Not sure if I should postpone until I feel more comfortable.

I have vacationed in Europe every summer for the past 6 years. I love Europe and have found the people warm, friendly and we feel as comfortable there as at home. Never felt scared there at any time. I feel very sorry what is going on because of these extremists. I don't want to let them control my life, but at the same time, this is a problem that needs to be addressed before it gets out of control, which I think most people realize as 75% of people in the US believe ISIS to be a serious threat to security at this time.

Believe me, I don't mean to be alarmist. I have to make a decision within the next 2 weeks as to whether or not to do the Western Mediterranean cruise in July. I really would love to look forward to it and I think it sounds like a great cruise, although I have been to Italy before in 2013, so if I don't get to do it this year, I will be okay. I understand what the odds are, that the possibility is remote. I am trying to figure out if there is more of a risk this year or if next summer would be better or worse. I am about 50/50 in deciding what to do.

In 1985, I traveled to Rome a week after a substantial terrorist attack and felt safe because the country was on high alert and I thought the chances of a second attack so soon were slim but I was younger then. I have gotten premonitions before but it is difficult to tell if this is one or not. My sister worked in the Twin Towers on 9-11. She decided not to go to work that day and was spared. She did not work in the city for years afterward from fear. My co-workers cousin worked in the Twin Towers that day. She left the building when the first tower was hit. All her co-workers were killed. So it is not anything that anyone can predict. I am truly undecided and change my mind every day.

These are the things that scare me.

http://www.kplctv.com/story/28569072/isis-attacks-in-n-africa-alarm-italys-president

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/20/world/isis-expansion/index.html

http://searchlight-germany.blogspot.com/2015/03/isis-sets-sights-on-mediterranean.html

http://www.ibtimes.com/isis-europe-italy-bolsters-military-presence-mediterranean-against-threats-north-1853770

Not sure if I should postpone until I feel more comfortable.

I'm from Europe myself I'm from Ireland and I'm going on my first cruise in May, And I'm terrified myself, I don't know what to do, This stuff that's happened has me terrifed now,

The more terrified you are the more these radical nutters (I would use stronger language but may offend) are winning their war of fear. By stating they MAY attack Big Ben, Eiffel Tower etc doesn't mean to say they wont blow up the Guinness Brewery...God forbid;)

So should we all crawl under our beds and never leave home:rolleyes:

Then for sure these bas..... have won!

Paul

If you're worried about terrorism or other forms of mass murder, then you seriously need to get out of the USA. Japan, Western Europe, Canada, Australia, even India or China. Do not - repeat not - stay where you are. Murders happen in the USA.

The more terrified you are the more these radical nutters (I would use stronger language but may offend) are winning their war of fear. By stating they MAY attack Big Ben, Eiffel Tower etc doesn't mean to say they wont blow up the Guinness Brewery...God forbid;)

So should we all crawl under our beds and never leave home:rolleyes:

Then for sure these bas..... have won! Paul

Appreciate this smart wisdom from New Zealand. This was a tragedy and sadly, there will be more such incidents to happen in the future. If these people believe we are afraid, they will just get more aggressive and bring it even closer to our homes.

We must continue our exploring of the world, including wonderful NZ, Auckland, etc., that we enjoyed so much a year ago.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 103,464 views for this posting.

We are going to Greece and turkey in August and I'm worried. I'm traveling with my 11 and 13 year old and that's the worry. Am I potentially putting my children in harms way? I don't think we 're going to cancel, but for the first time, I'm weary of traveling overseas