Mods, please allow: Cruise Ship passengers among the victims in Tunisia

From MSC's website:

"With respect to the events that are currently taking place in Tunis, in particular at the Bardo National Museum, MSC Cruises confirms the following: one of our ships, MSC Splendida is currently calling the port of La Goulette, Tunis; At the time of the events, some of MSC Splendida guests were on shore excursions, including to the Bardo National Museum; All MSC Cruises coaches on tour at the time of the events were immediately ordered back to the port and all other excursions and on the ground activities were immediately suspended. MSC Cruises is in close contact with the relevant national and international authorities, local authorities, the ship captain as well as with the port agent to constantly monitor the situation as it unfolds. Further updates will follow."

I have been following this the past few hours and it is certainly a sad development.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12355-costa-statement-on-tunis-situation.html

Costa Crociere has released the following statement regarding the situation in Tunisia as the Costa Fascinosa is currently in port there:

Further to this morning attack in Tunis, Costa Crociere confirms that some of its guests had booked a Shore Excursion in the City. Upon being notified the Ship’s Command have immediately recalled all excursions to return on board. The company is in close contact with the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Local Security Authorities, the Captain of Costa Fascinosa and our local Port Agent for a continuous assessment of the situation on site and its evolution so to collect updated information from the Authorities. 3161 Guests were on board this cruise. The departure of the ship from Tunis which is scheduled for tonight at 8pm will most probably be delayed. Costa HQ management and Care Team are travelling to Tunis to reach the ship tonight in order to liaise with the local Authorities and passengers on board. Extra security measures are taken by local security Authorities around the port to ensure the security of ship, its passengers and the crew.

From the Costa website, translated from Italian:

"Following the attacks this morning in Tunisia, confirm that some guests have booked an excursion in the city. Immediately after being notified of the facts, the command of the ship immediately recalled all excursions aboard. The Company is in close contact with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, local security, the commander of the Costa Fascinosa and our port agent to monitor the situation, to follow its evolution and collect more information from the authorities. Guests who were on board are 3,161. The ship's departure from Tunis, originally scheduled for 20:00, will probably be delayed. The direction of the headquarters and the Costa "Care Team" are traveling to Tunis to reach the ship in order to get in touch with the local authorities and the passengers on board. Extraordinary security measures have been taken by the authorities of the port to ensure the safety of the ship, its passengers and crew."

This is indeed a terrible tragedy.

I suspect it will make many of the cruise lines rethink having port destinations or shore excursions in locations where there is a history of civil unrest, poor security, or current levels of unrest in the area.

Just last summer, there were warnings about Tunisia being a risky place - surprised it would be a "tourist destination" quite frankly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-2696050/UNREST-PROMPTS-TUNISIA-WARNING.html

Nonetheless...this is disturbing and sad.

Those poor victims will be in my prayers. I have been in the Bardo museum in 2010 and it is a world class museum on Tunisian (Roman) antiquities. When we toured we found the people we met warm towards us. Never felt threatened even when walking through the Bazaar. Even a couple older ladies were quite nice to our daughter. It is with a heavy heart I feel tourism will be suspended from this moderate country thus hurting the general population.

We understand the feelings and concerns this may bring up in cruisers and will keep a discussion here for a few days.

We understand the feelings and concerns this may bring up in cruisers and will keep a discussion here for a few days.

Thank you for keeping the post. I would not have known about this unless I read this story here.

I am also praying for all involved.

My prayers and thoughts are with all passenger and family. It is sad to say that Europa and all those countries is not a safe place to travel to. These people sure travel around without warning.

Tunisia is Africa, it has nothing to do with Europe. As a matter of fact, Tunisia is still a 3rd world country.

Traveling to Europe is as safe as travelling within the US.

From MSC's website:

"With respect to the events that are currently taking place in Tunis, in particular at the Bardo National Museum, MSC Cruises confirms the following: one of our ships, MSC Splendida is currently calling the port of La Goulette, Tunis; At the time of the events, some of MSC Splendida guests were on shore excursions, including to the Bardo National Museum; All MSC Cruises coaches on tour at the time of the events were immediately ordered back to the port and all other excursions and on the ground activities were immediately suspended. MSC Cruises is in close contact with the relevant national and international authorities, local authorities, the ship captain as well as with the port agent to constantly monitor the situation as it unfolds. Further updates will follow."

No one ever wants to read about an 'terrorist' attack such as this; our thoughts must go out to the families of the injured and dead, who were just doing what ordinary citizens and tourists do -- visit a museum. There is no place for such violence.

What I am wondering is this: How does the cruise ship 'order' the excursions that have already begun and are 'somewhere' in the port city back to the ship.

When I am on a Royal sponsored excursion, it doesn't have Royal employees tagging along -- it is contracted out to an independent vendor.

No one ever wants to read about an 'terrorist' attack such as this; our thoughts must go out to the families of the injured and dead, who were just doing what ordinary citizens and tourists do -- visit a museum. There is no place for such violence.

What I am wondering is this: How does the cruise ship 'order' the excursions that have already begun and are 'somewhere' in the port city back to the ship.

When I am on a Royal sponsored excursion, it doesn't have Royal employees tagging along -- it is contracted out to an independent vendor.

No but it probably does have a bus driver or tour guide with a cell phone

A cruise line has a port agent assigned for each port. The port agent then provides the services contracted by the cruise line and often coordinates the shore excursions. They would then have contact with tour operators and guides at the destination. Communication is actually much improved now.

Costa uses AFRIMAR TUNIS and MSC uses TUNISIE MARINE, for instance.

Edited by MADflyer

A cruise line has a port agent assigned for each port. The port agent then provides the services contracted by the cruise line and often coordinates the shore excursions. They would then have contact with tour operators and guides at the destination. Communication is actually much improved now.

This I could understand better than the ship having the cell phone number of the bus driver on each excursion. Since some of the excursions I have been on, have had 3-4 mini vans each at times. Thanks, for sharing.

I just read on Costas facebook page they have 14 people who have not returned to the ship. MSC said still getting everyone back onboard.

Both ships will remain in port overnight.

Prayers to all those involved and their families.

I just read on Costas facebook page they have 14 people who have not returned to the ship. MSC said still getting everyone back onboard.

Both ships will remain in port overnight.

Prayers to all those involved and their families.

More here :

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12357-costa-reports-14-missing-passengers-after-tunis-attack.html