Tape or magnets for the outside of doors

Sorry, been on enough cruises that I should know this.

But has been awhile since we decorated the outside of the door.

Have signs made for the Adventure sailing on sunday. I lamenated them. Do I need to put magnets on the back or can I use packing tape to tape to the door. If i remember right I think the doors are kinda textured so the tape didn't stick???

But never been on the Adventure.

advice please???

I have had great success using magnets for my door signs (used on Enchantment and Serenade). I just bought a roll of magnet at the craft store. It's the kind when you can cut off whatever length you need, then just peel the backing off and stick it to your sign... then stick the sign to the door with the magnet side. I like this option because I can just cut a few strips before I leave home and tuck them in my bag. Then I have them to use for whatever I need in my cabin (I take along a small pair of scissors in my toiletry bag which works great for many things, including trimming the magnet strips to size).

Have a fun cruise!

Melissa

• 4 weeks later...

The doors are metal, fleet wide, so magnets are the way to go. On our first Christmas cruise we had a nice wreath and a door decoration go missing. Our room steward found the wreath on a door down the hall and returned it. Now, we always personalize our decorations. We include the cabin number and a greeting like, "Happy Sailing from the Florida Cruisers". Sometimes, we include our first names. We haven't lost a decoration since we've begun labeling them.

I haven't seen any decorations on doors on any other cruise line that we use, and I don't understand the purpose. Please could someone advise? Is it a Royal Caribbean thing?

We will be sailing on our first Royal cruise this year, and are curious to know if it's something we might need to do. Is the decoration thing just to help find your cabin? I thought it might be just as an identifying mark, but then I don't understand why people would want to put their names and personal info on them :confused:

I haven't seen any decorations on doors on any other cruise line that we use, and I don't understand the purpose. Please could someone advise? Is it a Royal Caribbean thing?

There's no real purpose, people do it on all the cruise lines. It's just a bit of fun. Some people do it to help them find their cabin, others do it to mark a special occasion, or perhaps to let other Cruise Critic members know that they're on board.

It's not mandatory ;)

There's no real purpose, people do it on all the cruise lines. It's just a bit of fun. Some people do it to help them find their cabin, others do it to mark a special occasion, or perhaps to let other Cruise Critic members know that they're on board.

It's not mandatory ;)

Ah, ok! Thank you. I haven't seen this on any other lines, but maybe they were there I just haven't noticed them.

It's not mandatory ;)

It is just fun....I think of going on a cruise as a week in 'adult camp'. We put up a sign that we are cruise critic members with our screen names. We usually have some theme related things on our door. We sailed on Valentines Day so we had red iridescent hearts on the door for the entire cruise. I even decorated by pool hat with the same red hearts that we put on the door.

So someone walked up to me, and asked if I was the person in cabin XXXX? When I said yes, I asked them how they knew and they said they notice the same red hearts on the cabin door, which is a few cabins from theirs.

It was cute.

I always decorate the door. Summer cruises get glittery flowers and flip flops or red, white, and blue stars for Independence Day. I recently decorated the balcony with a flexible garland-like streamer which did not get removed. For Christmas....I can't remember because it's been awhile. All are attached with tape. The inside is all covered with magnets from dollar bins. I like my door to stand out from others.

Edited by sauvichick

We always cruise near Christmas so we decorate with a Christmas theme. The additional benefit is that it helps us find the room in the first few days getting the feel of the ship. We've even met new friends in nearby cabins thanking us for helping them find their cabins using our decorations as a reference.

We always cruise near Christmas so we decorate with a Christmas theme. The additional benefit is that it helps us find the room in the first few days getting the feel of the ship. We've even met new friends in nearby cabins thanking us for helping them find their cabins using our decorations as a reference.

One time, we cruised with a family member having a birthday during the cruise. We brought birthday decorations aboard with us and on his birthday while he and his wife were at the pool, we secretly decorated their door. Much more effective than a birthday card.

I'm going on a Halloween cruise on oasis. Can I get some suggestions on door decorations for that or maybe even some pictures of what others have done? I'm not the most creative so the only thing that comes to my mind would be a jack-o-lantern or maybe a witch with some streamers for either one.

We have taped "paper" decorations from the dollar store on our doors...and windows sometimes parrots, fish, etc. for years, since the kids were little to help them find the room if needed and the kids liked to see if they could see our cabin when in port.

We have also taped a decoration on the wall on the side where we should go when getting off elevator....again helps kids and Nana get to the right hall and room. Kids are now 18,18 and 21 so now it's a tradition. Sometimes people take our decorations and we find them on other doors ..once we even got a ransom note...lol :)

One word of caution on using magnets on the doors. We were on Jewel and put up a few decorations with magnets. Our sea cards kept going bad and I can't remember how many times we had to go get new ones - I think every day! The point being it was the magnets it turned out that were making them go bad!! We took them off and, guess what?, no more trips to get new cards.

One word of caution on using magnets on the doors. We were on Jewel and put up a few decorations with magnets. Our sea cards kept going bad and I can't remember how many times we had to go get new ones - I think every day! The point being it was the magnets it turned out that were making them go bad!! We took them off and, guess what?, no more trips to get new cards.

I have only heard of that happening when the magnet was very very close to the sea pass card. I have heard of it happening if you put your phone/ipad device directly next to the sea pass card as well -- that happened to my DH, since he plays some games on his phone.....he no longer puts his sea pass card next to his Ipad, so as not to de-magnetize his card.

Edited by Paulette3028

I use little magnetic fish on the door. One fish for each day. 11 night cruise ends up with 11 fish (so I have quite the collection! ;) ).

Everyone gets a kick out of it, especially the cabin attendant. Can always figure out what

day it is if you walk by our cabin.

Some pax get a kick out of "re-arranging" my fish though. Pretty funny! :)

I have only heard of that happening when the magnet was very very close to the sea pass card. I have heard of it happening if you put your phone/ipad device directly next to the sea pass card as well -- that happened to my DH, since he plays some games on his phone.....he no longer puts his sea pass card next to his Ipad, so as not to de-magnetize his card.

My wife's card goes bad often all the time with no phone or magnets nearby. She usually has to get a new card 2-3 times per cruise. She keeps the card in her back pocket so I always tease her by saying she's got a magnetic butt.