extra added tax and gratuity

glittergal1

Hi Im am sailing on NCL Epic from Barcelona I have not booked the drinks package (seems very expensive) and I am trying to work out approximate costs without it :confused:

So each drink I buy would have a 15% added Gratuity? is this correct ?

or is it 15% gratuity per service? e.g I buy 3 drinks =1 service of 15% ?

Also Ive been reading about added Spanish and Italian tax on top of this 15% can anyone tell me how this works please? and what %

The gratuity is now 18%.

I'm not sure what you are meaning when asking about buying 3 drinks. It's based in the value, so it makes no difference how many drinks you buy at a time.

There is also the Spanish tax, which is 10% and applies throughout the cruise.

Basically, just add 28% to the drinks prices.

H

o each drink I buy would have a 15% added Gratuity? is this correct ?

or is it 15% gratuity per service? e.g I buy 3 drinks =1 service of 15% ?

How would these two things be different?

An 18% auto-gratuity is automatically applied to alcoholic beverage purchases.

The other thing you are referring to is called the VAT tax, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-added_tax

Gratuity has been increased to 18% and it will applied to the total bill. So, if you buy 3 drinks at one time for $10 each you'll have a bill for $30 + the 18% on top of that.

For Spanish VAT (value added tax) you'll pay another % on top of of that total. (I don't know what the VAT rate is).

If you think the gratuity is too much you can reduce it or if you like the service you can increase it as well so that ncl can make more revenue

I don't know how one could reduce the bar tab gratuity, it is already in the total paid. You can of course add extra on the 'tip line' on the service chit.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so an extra 28% on all drinks for the entire cruise ????????????????????? I will be drinking water then :(

in the brochure Ive got 2015/2016 it states " for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15% "

How can they change it to 18%?????????? is this legal ??????????

So recommended is just that recommended not compulsory?????????? Has anyone ever asked for it to be taken off?

And before anyone jumps on me im not saying I wont pay Im just getting very annoyed with NCL who seem to be able to move the goal posts :mad:

in the brochure Ive got 2015/2016 it states " for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15% "

yes it is legal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read your brochure cover to cover, there will be small print somewhere that says "prices are subject to change" or something like that.
So recommended is just that recommended not compulsory?????????? Has anyone ever asked for it to be taken off?

I am sure someone has. I think that if you cross out the auto-tip and recalculate the total (drink + tax) on the charge slip that you sign and return to them, they will only you charge you the amount that you specified. Try it. If not, if you yell at the front desk for long enough, they will take it off there.

I am convinced that anything they call a "tip" or "gratuity" cannot be obligatory. They can add it automatically, and make it hard for you to remove it, and adjust the level of service you receive, but they have to let you remove it somehow.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so an extra 28% on all drinks for the entire cruise ????????????????????? I will be drinking water then :(

And before anyone jumps on me im not saying I wont pay Im just getting very annoyed with NCL who seem to be able to move the goal posts :mad:

Might be worth rethinking that UBP package. With the auto grats recently increased to 18% and the price of most drinks increased recently it costs in a lot quicker.

As an example a grey goose vodka and Pepsi is now $10.50 + 18% grats so about $12..

A small beer is about $7 +18%

No matter what you'll pay the 10% vat on top for drinks. Also the VAT is much higher for services and shops (about 21%).

Speciality restaurants now also have an 18% auto grat added.

#delriotaxes

well my next cruise will be back with MSC their drinks package was fantastic and only £22 a day :p

NCL Epic could be my first cruise where my liver has a rest :D

its my bloody birthday as well ....... I might push the boat out and buy a drink that day :eek:

Well, the VAT will be on any bill no matter the cruise line, MSC has to add it also. However, if the MSC cruise is out of the same port and has a significantly lower price, it would be your better choice. If your not past final payment, perhaps you could change over to the other line?

Yes, you can ask for it to be removed (not the tax, though), and apart from being labelled as cheap, just try to find a waiter for your second drink if you do!

Very true. We always add an extra $1 or 2 to each drink, just like on land. It really helps when the bar is busy!

Well, the VAT will be on any bill no matter the cruise line, MSC has to add it also. However, if the MSC cruise is out of the same port and has a significantly lower price, it would be your better choice. If your not past final payment, perhaps you could change over to the other line?

That option is not open to non-North American cruisers. If Europeans cancel, we forfeit deposits.

Annie

well my next cruise will be back with MSC their drinks package was fantastic and only £22 a day :p

its my bloody birthday as well ....... I might push the boat out and buy a drink that day :eek:

Hi

I recognise you from the MSC boards. MSC drinks package, especially if booked ahead, saves on gratuity and is probably one of the best value packages.

I have never sailed NCL because of all the additional charges.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide to do ...... and happy birthday when it arrives.

Annie

my cruise was fully paid over 6 months ago , what annoys me is that when I booked the service charge was $12 per day and added drinks service charge 15%

so for both to be increased just makes me mad :mad:

It may be legal but its not morally right

Hi

I recognise you from the MSC boards. MSC drinks package, especially if booked ahead, saves on gratuity and is probably one of the best value packages.

I have never sailed NCL because of all the additional charges.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide to do ...... and happy birthday when it arrives.

Annie

Thanks Annie I only booked NCL Epic because I was a solo cruiser and thought it would be a good choice , Its actually my second attempt of NCL I did NCL Jade 2 years ago and to be honest that was a poor experience this may well be my last on NCL , I will definitely book MSC again ive had 2 amazing cruises with them :)

my cruise was fully paid over 6 months ago , what annoys me is that when I booked the service charge was $12 per day and added drinks service charge 15%

you should have been offered the chance of prepaying the service charge and avoiding the increase.

yes It would have been cheaper but I am not going to pre pay service charge before I have had the service ................ The service on the Jade was very poor indeed

The point is that NCL should not be able to simply add additional costs once you have booked , In my eyes I booked a product at a certain cost (which I was happy to pay) they should not then turn to me and say oh by the way we are now going to charge you more it is simply wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes It would have been cheaper but I am not going to pre pay service charge before I have had the service ................ The service on the Jade was very poor indeed

The point is that NCL should not be able to simply add additional costs once you have booked , In my eyes I booked a product at a certain cost (which I was happy to pay) they should not then turn to me and say oh by the way we are now going to charge you more it is simply wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a very difficult one. Prices have to go up, and the discussions on this board when it was announced show that there is no possible way they could have done it without upsetting some groups.

As I understand it, they could have increased the DSC without offering any option for people to secure the old rate.

You chose not to do so, but at least you were offered the option.

thats not the point though !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im not saying they shouldnt put up the prices but if the price increased in say March then only those booking after this date should be charged the new price simply because thats the price/cost at the time of booking and they would be aware of it . It was not what I booked!!!!!!!!!!!!! or agreed to pay for :mad:

just imagine you went to a furniture shop and bought your sofa for £200 and then 6 months later they tell you its gone up and you owe them another £100 would you be happy ??????????????? its the same thing

thats not the point though !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im not saying they shouldnt put up the prices but if the price increased in say March then only those booking after this date should be charged the new price simply because thats the price/cost at the time of booking and they would be aware of it . It was not what I booked!!!!!!!!!!!!! or agreed to pay for :mad:

just imagine you went to a furniture shop and bought your sofa for £200 and then 6 months later they tell you its gone up and you owe them another £100 would you be happy ??????????????? its the same thing

But you could argue your cruise price what you bought hasn't gone up, you didn't pre-pay the DSC (which locks in the rate at booking). So the bits they have changed are the variables booked to your onboard account. The drinks prices themselves have gone up since you booked would you expect they keep the prices the same as when you booked?

Anyhow.. If you are a solo traveller you'll love Epic and the studio lounge. Don't forget if you eat at a speciality restaurant on your birthday tell them when you arrive :D

Hey, you can always get toasted on shore and still have a buzz on when you get back on the ship for your birthday.