Does the Spa make healthy smoothies ?

Cozzette2

My daughter is on a vegan diet and she drinks a lot of her protein in a shake. she is trying to figure out how to still be able to get them on the ship. She is new to cruising and thought she could bring her hand mixer. I know, I told you she was new.

Does the spa make beverages?

Is there somewhere with her ingredients that they can make her a protein shake ?

She is looking for a non electrical shaker if that is what it comes down to.

Has anyone had any experience with this ?

I appreciate the insight as I am not a vegan and have never had this question before.

Thanks, Kris

I don't recall the spa having anything like that. However, she could probably go to any bar that wasn't busy and, if she had her ingredients handy, they might mix it up for her. They use Vitamix which are amazing blenders!

I am bringing my Shakeology along and I will mix it in my shaker cup that has a mixing ball in it. Will it be as good? No, but it will still taste good. But I will get the nutrients that I need and it will still taste good

I don't recall the spa having anything like that. However, she could probably go to any bar that wasn't busy and, if she had her ingredients handy, they might mix it up for her. They use Vitamix which are amazing blenders!

I am bringing my Shakeology along and I will mix it in my shaker cup that has a mixing ball in it. Will it be as good? No, but it will still taste good. But I will get the nutrients that I need and it will still taste good

Bars will not put customer supplied ingredients into their equipment as it is a health risk.

Didn't they have a drink or 2 on the Sanctuary menu?

I searched online & found this on the Princess website:

Guests can also refresh with a variety of special drinks and snacks created exclusively for The Sanctuary. Each day Serenity Stewards will be on hand to offer guests an array of drinks and snacks. Signature Sanctuary beverages include healthy smoothies, energy drinks, iced flavored waters and freshly made lemonade.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/daytime_activities/day_sanctuary/

I also found a 2014 thread with a photo of the Sanctuary's drink & food menu which might be limited to those paying to use the Sanctuary.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44614752&postcount=7

Edited by Astro Flyer

Ok if the Sanctuary is considered the Spa then you got me. But not everyone that goes to the Spa buys into the Sanctuary.

No one said it was a Spa or part of the Spa. Just that you could get "healthy smoothies" there as long as you wanted to pay $40/day for the ability to purchase them.

thank you all so much for the answers. I didn't think the bar would mix up anything with your own ingredients, so a shaker will work. It won't be as delish [ if I thought her ingredients were delish :eek:] But I bet it will work. She can also bring protein bars.

Thank you Kris

Their version of what's a healthy smoothie and my version (or yours) may be completely different. The smoothies I had were mostly sugar fruit base that they use for cocktails. Very little real fruit and I agree that it's unlikely they would blend passenger ingredients. I'd bring my own equipment.

Hi! :) I'm the girl from the blog that's posted above. In my experiences on Princess, I haven't encountered any smoothies made using lots of fresh fruits, though I remember hearing someone grab a bunch of fruit from the buffet and bring it to one of the bars and ask them to blend it up for them. I have never tried this myself so I am not sure how it would work. I would highly recommend that she bring along a small Magic Bullet or something similar to make her protein drinks if it's something that she's used to. If she uses soy milk, you can get soy milk on board without any problem from the buffet or the International Cafe. She could also bring along her own plant-based milk in Tetrapacks if she wants, and keep them in the cabin fridge.

As for eating vegan on board, I've only had amazing experiences. You just have to let them know ahead of time that you're traveling as a vegan, and then once you get on board, let the head waiter of the main dining room know. The head waiter will take excellent care of her, and she'll be able to request her meals 24 hours head of time. Even when something on the menu couldn't be modified to be vegan, I was allowed to request my own tofu/veggie stir fry.

I'm going to write all about my vegan experiences this year, but I wrote a full blog post about my experience last year on the Emerald Princess here: http://justinpluslauren.com/eating-vegan-on-a-cruise-ship/

My daughter is on a vegan diet and she drinks a lot of her protein in a shake. she is trying to figure out how to still be able to get them on the ship. She is new to cruising and thought she could bring her hand mixer. I know, I told you she was new.

Does the spa make beverages?

Is there somewhere with her ingredients that they can make her a protein shake ?

She is looking for a non electrical shaker if that is what it comes down to.

Has anyone had any experience with this ?

I appreciate the insight as I am not a vegan and have never had this question before.

Thanks, Kris

My husband is a vegan and also gets a lot of his protein from a shake in the morning with vegan protein powder and a lot of fruits and veggies.

For one cruise we brought this below and a ziploc bag of his protein powder. In the morning he ordered soy milk and every kind of fruit available from room service and made his smoothies.

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-BLSTPB-WBL-250-Watt-Blender-Travel/dp/B004P2OLB8/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1426987664&sr=8-14&keywords=portable+mixer

Now he just eats oatmeal in the dining room (you have to order it WITHOUT milk) .

As Lauren said, if you tell the Maitre D' the first day that you are a vegan they will bend over backwards to make sure you have something to eat at each meal. We've also found it really helps if you can give them specific suggestions of things you like. (He loves spicy Indian food.)

My husband is a vegan and also gets a lot of his protein from a shake in the morning with vegan protein powder and a lot of fruits and veggies.

For one cruise we brought this below and a ziploc bag of his protein powder. In the morning he ordered soy milk and every kind of fruit available from room service and made his smoothies.

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-BLSTPB-WBL-250-Watt-Blender-Travel/dp/B004P2OLB8/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1426987664&sr=8-14&keywords=portable+mixer

Now he just eats oatmeal in the dining room (you have to order it WITHOUT milk) .

As Lauren said, if you tell the Maitre D' the first day that you are a vegan they will bend over backwards to make sure you have something to eat at each meal. We've also found it really helps if you can give them specific suggestions of things you like. (He loves spicy Indian food.)

They really do bend over backwards in the MDR! The head waiter would check on me numerous times, would bring me extra little treats throughout the meal (such as making those pina colada soups with coconut milk as an appetizer!) and I always ended up with so much food, even more than I could eat! If you mentioned something that you liked, chances are they could make it for you. And we actually had a great Indian dish this past cruise that was a regular choice on the menu that happened to be vegetarian and vegan :) Yum!!

That's a great idea to order the soy milk and the fruit to your room in the morning and then make your own shake - never thought of that!!