Flying in the same day as cruise...

albo88888

If all goes according to plan, you'll be fine. It's generally accepted that flying in the day prior (2 days is overkill, IMO!) is the best thing, but not everyone can do that!

Where are you flying from, and when?

My questions would be:

(1) What time of year are you flying?

(2) Flying from where to where

(3) Are you willing to chance something happening and not getting to the Port of Embarkation 2 1/2 hours prior to sailing time?

I also fly in the night before even flying a short distance. Too many things can happen to delay flights. I am not willing to risk it with or without travel insurance ( which is a must to me).

The people saying bad, bad, bad are being ridiculous.

In an ideal world everyone would fly in days before, stay in a hotel, tour the embarkation city blah, blah, blah.

In the real world most people have limited vacation time and cost consideration.

The VAST majority of cruisers who fly to port will do so on the date of sailing.

We are flying in the same day as our cruise. We arrived in Miami at 10:00 AM. Good or bad? Your thoughts and comments?

That's what I usually do when cruising out of Miami. You're taking a chance but it's minimized -- you can handle a 4 or 5 hour delay and still make the ship.

The odds are you will be ok. it's a little late to ask this when you have already booked. But it's simple math- the less time you have between flight arrival and cruise departure, the fewer back up options you have. It's all about how much risk you are willing to take. Some people can't tolerate same day arriving, and are wrecks with worry for the weeks leading up to the cruise. for other's it's just fine.

I do suggest, it's of benefit to allow some time for at least one alternative back up option in order to make a ship, however. And not leave it to either- just make it or missing the ship.

In an ideal world everyone would fly in days before, stay in a hotel, tour the embarkation city blah, blah, blah.

In the real world most people have limited vacation time and cost consideration.

The VAST majority of cruisers who fly to port will do so on the date of sailing.

Your bona fide data source for "vast majority...."?

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Thank you for calling me ridiculous. And I assume you have taken a poll of those VAST majority of cruisers to determine if they fly in the same day of the cruise? If you want to take a chance of missing a ship you are free to do so. I would rather not take that chance and a hotel for one night is minimal considering the cost of a cruise.

Its not a bad idea, I've landed at 11:30 and had more then enough time. The port is about a 15-20 min ride from the airport. You land at 10:00 a.m., you can get your luggauge, and a cab, and be at the port by 11:00

I have made it from the runway to the port in about an hour on more then one occasion.

We are flying out of Newark on April 18th with United. I didn't have the option to take off a day before my vacation starts. Hope there aren't any delays.

Check to see if there are any United flights after your scheduled flight that will still get you to the ship on time, check your flight number to see what the on time arrival % is. Also find out what other airlines have flights to get you to the ship on time. You can also fly into FLL & take a shuttle to the ship, so check out those flight alternatives.

Be prepared with a couple other options to give the airline counter rep should your flight be delayed, then hope you don't need them.

We are flying in the same day as our cruise. We arrived in Miami at 10:00 AM. Good or bad? Your thoughts and comments?

Personally, no matter where we're going, I want to be at my city of embarkation a day in advance; I'd be too nervous to fly there the day of the cruise. We're out west, so anything on the east coast (FLL, MIA, NY, wherever) OR further afield (Europe, etc.) is a definite "day before if not more" in my book. You're in a little different position, flying from northern east coast to southern east coast.

I'm not even sure I would have the nerve to fly to SEA or LAX the day of the cruise. Last time we sailed out of San Diego, we drove halfway there the night before, after we got off work, and stayed in a hotel, then completed the drive the next morning and boarded. For what it's worth, our last cruise was out of Miami, and we had to fly west (to LAX) before flying east, the day before we embarked, I'll never do that again no matter what the airline says about it being a "valid connection". We barely made the connecting flight..........and our luggage DIDN'T. Luckily, our bags were on the next flight out and they arrived later that evening.

I know there are probably lots of people who fly in the day of, but I don't believe I could be one of them. Your mileage may vary, and flying from north to south east coast, you could very well be fine. But what about a late spring snow storm causing delays, or some kind of mechanical issue? I couldn't take the stress (I don't relax until I'm on the ship; THAT'S when my vacation starts, LOL!). The person who posted suggestions about having backup plans if needed, was spot on. Make sure you have phone numbers and a few other flights that you could take if you need to. Good luck and happy sailing!

I wouldn't have a problem flying in the day/morning of the cruise as long as: 1)I am flying in the summer time 2)The flight is less than 3hrs 3) it is a direct flight from a large, busy airport(such as NYC area)where flights to Miami go out at least every hour. In case there is a big delay or a flight cancelation, I still have the option of catching another flight, granted it will cost more. Other than that, I would be too stressed...so I prefer to fly in the day before. More likely than not, it will be just fine.

In Nov and in two weeks I am on first Southwest flight of the day Dallas to Houston. That does not worry me much as there are several flights after mine that could get me there.

One time we took an Alaskan cruise and flew to Salt Lake City, spent the night and then flew to Vancouver. Were still a day early. Took off the pressure. These were free tickets so we had to take what we could get.

I love to arrive a day early. Especially in Miami where we can hang out in Bayside. Or LA where we can see family.

Once we flew into Miami the day before and they lost my luggage. I did not get it until late that night.

If you have Insurance, by all means risk it...most of the time you should be ok

I usually get in a day early (arriving the night before) just so I can relax & give myself extra time to really enjoy my vacation.

BUT keep in mind it does depend on the weather. We are traveling from Boston to Tampa, FL in February 2016 so not only do I have insurance but I get there a day early just in case we get 108.6 inches of friggin snow like we did this winter & they close the airport for 2 days. :eek:

After 25 cruises arriving the day before, I have to take a red eye from LAX to Miami in October. Its a direct flight and lands at 8a. Not a fan of overnight flights or arriving the day of the cruise, but it was this or no vacation. I too am nervous and you never know what may happen but I feel its worth the minimal risk. Fingers crossed.

You will "probably" be OK. Arrive by 10:00 boarding probably closes about 4 ish there's a 6 hour window so sounds fine.

We are all willing to take a different level of risk. I live a two hour drive from my port, but would still prefer to go down the day before and stay overnight, but it sounds like you have no choice. Having said that on day that 2 hour drive took 4 days due to bush fires, if I was cruising, I'd have no hope, so even the best emergency plans aren't foolproof.

Do however look into what your back up plan is. Is there any chance of a red-eye and have this one as your back-up?

If the airport is closed is there enough time between scheduled flight departure and boarding time to drive ?