Looking at 4 ships to Bermuda

Carnival Sunshine is in Oct/16 in a scenic OV, but it's 1977 US

RC Anthem of the seas 5 days, inside stateroom, 2324 CDN

Celebrity Summit 7 days OV 2508 CDN

RC Grandeur of the seas 7 days 2470

I've never been on any other cruiseline except Carnival,

1. Anthem for its features

2. Celebrity I hear nothing good things about it

3. Carnival for the Scenic OV and for Guys Burgers.

Whatre some top things to do in Bermuda, what's the weather like in May, is it a warm place? Can you come and go to and from the ship as it is docked. Royal/Celebrity sail out of Cape Liberty and Carnival sails out of NY, which port is a better port to sail out of. The only cruise line we won't sail on is NCL. If you could give me your insight on your past cruises or to Bermuda and based on a rough estimate on price/days your choice. Should we count out Anthem based on price/days, although it would be my decision, but helpful hints help out a lot.

Carnival Sunshine, hands down. I love Carnival, and the price/length of cruise is a big bonus. Sunshine is on my short list of ships to try out. Anthem sounds amazing, but the price is way out of line with what I would want to pay.

I don't book too far in advance. I am thinking these prices will drop closer in.

I have taken Celebrity Solstice, a beautful ship. The food was the best, and the sevice was polished. I don't feel as at home on Celebrity though as I do on Carnival or Royal Caribbean. NCL is my least favorite.

So, my vote goes to Carnival as the pick of the 4, easily, no queston.

We love Celebrity, Bermuda, and Summit. Everybody has their personal favorites, but this brings together ours. We sail Celebrity and RC most, and are about to do our first Carnival cruise on Valor. We would go to Bermuda again on Summit in a heartbeat if our calendar permitted. We are going in August on RCC Liberty OS for a five nighter, which is what we can fit in. Both Cape Liberty and Baltimore are within easy driving distance for us, as they are with you. (Ooops. Misread your hometown as Hagerstown, MD. Sorry.) Cant go wrong with either Summit or Grandeur. Anthem is waaay bigger than what is comfortable for us.

David

Edited by d&a Delaware

Looking at 4 ships to Bermuda

Carnival Sunshine is in Oct/16 in a scenic OV, but it's 1977 US

RC Anthem of the seas 5 days, inside stateroom, 2324 CDN

Celebrity Summit 7 days OV 2508 CDN

RC Grandeur of the seas 7 days 2470

I've never been on any other cruiseline except Carnival,

1. Anthem for its features

2. Celebrity I hear nothing good things about it

3. Carnival for the Scenic OV and for Guys Burgers.

Whatre some top things to do in Bermuda, what's the weather like in May, is it a warm place? Can you come and go to and from the ship as it is docked. Royal/Celebrity sail out of Cape Liberty and Carnival sails out of NY, which port is a better port to sail out of. The only cruise line we won't sail on is NCL. If you could give me your insight on your past cruises or to Bermuda and based on a rough estimate on price/days your choice. Should we count out Anthem based on price/days, although it would be my decision, but helpful hints help out a lot.

Choose the one that gives you the most time in port, as close to the summer season as possible. We prefer August. Once docked, you can. One and go as you like. The only downside is you can't drive. And keep away from what they call mopeds. They are motorcycles, and they drive on the left. Get a multi day transportation pass that gives you unlimited access to the buses and ferries.

Bermuda is a jewel that should not be missed.

Interesting that you won't sail NCL. Their Bermuda itinerary on Breakaway is great! (overnighters in Bermuda) We enjoyed it - and the ship very much. And they are offering a choice of free grats, free drink plan, or free dining for those dates- and it sails from NY.

Edited by pe4all

As stated above, the most important is the ship that gives you the most time in port. :)

PLEASE...If anyone can tell me....with the new "8" I can not post without it quoting last post...hitting just the reply....{and not any quote}.....and then I have to erase....any tricks?????

And to the point I have been researching Bermuda and dreaming a long time...and agree with Janetz.

It is better in warmer season many say, but personally I would not hesitate early season and as long as possible is my vote...if the ships are "ok". I think smaller is better but that is often very relative unless true luxury small ship.

It is expensive and cruising gives everyone lucky enough to afford a cruise a chance...

I am weary of insides...but if you have one that gives more time at good enough rate...and it is inside do it anyway is my vote because you are docked there and can enjoy uncrowded outside of ship and of course the island and all that extended time...the window is less of a deal on this kind of cruise to me.

Edited by sjn911

Do they all dock in sane port? There are three different ports in Bermuda. We sailed summit and loved it so much we repeated again the next year. I would definitely choose the longest time in port.

Things to do- of course island tour, one night each week ( I believe Wednesday) the port of Hamilton has a big street party which you can take water taxi to, deep sea fishing, beautiful beaches, golf, st George's tour ( a UNESCO site) sea glass beach and the port of Kings Wharf has a fort along with great history of the island and their part in the slave triangle. I forgot to mention tours of the rich and famous

I will mention that Bermuda is a much quiter island and if you are looking fir an active party scene you won't find it. That's what I love about it.

We went in July so it was hot. Not sure about May and a friend went in October and many things were closed for the season

Do they all dock in sane port? There are three different ports in Bermuda. We sailed summit and loved it so much we repeated again the next year. I would definitely choose the longest time in port.

Things to do- of course island tour, one night each week ( I believe Wednesday) the port of Hamilton has a big street party which you can take water taxi to, deep sea fishing, beautiful beaches, golf, st George's tour ( a UNESCO site) sea glass beach and the port of Kings Wharf has a fort along with great history of the island and their part in the slave triangle. I forgot to mention tours of the rich and famous

I will mention that Bermuda is a much quiter island and if you are looking fir an active party scene you won't find it. That's what I love about it.

We went in July so it was hot. Not sure about May and a friend went in October and many things were closed for the season

There is one port that eliminates need for as much transportation...is it Kings Warf?? At the time I was booked and had to cancel..Hal was only one there..Veendam. I think folks say now that is less of an issue with the Dockyard..(again hope remembering names right) having more and better transport...well hope I have not added to much confusion...Sarah

Hal is the only main stream line that docks in Hamilton I believe.

Hurricane season is June until November. So most sailings are during the season. Late May, early June is good and then September, Oct. All with less humidity and warm temps. Summer sailings will find humidity, heat and many children onboard.

Bermuda is great and you can do everything on your own without pricey ship excursions. :)

My DW has anxiety and doesn't want to sail during Hurricane season which is understandable, so what is hurricane season around Bermuda?

Hurricane season is six months per year and the Bermuda itineraries are always during Hurricane season.

Oh for some reason I thought it was May, I would look at HAL but Carnival rep told me it was for an older crowd.

Thanks Janetz..yes I think it is Hamilton..at any rate Hal is an older crowd cocacola86 (love your "handle")..but not all young people hate it...much quieter...and many more 70 and above but I have read that many 30 and 40 somethings have enjoyed it..and at oh I think I was 48 or so I wanted to go with their service level and be docked in better place. I think in a way it would be perfect for Bermuda...but it depends on what you want on a lot of levels on your trip.

I had a 24 hr cruise on Hal in my 30's from Vancouver BC to Portland OR which was fabulous and all ages...not sure what Bermuda would bring or cost comparison, age comparison etc...but I would like it still I think..I like to think I am a young 55 however..LOL....Sarah

Be sure to check the destination and port boards on main page...even though we all are fantastic fonts of info here....LOL...S.

LOVE Coke too much and B-in-law has worked for them forever.

Edited by sjn911

When I do my Bermuda cruise, I will choose between Celebrity and NCL. The Celebrity Summit is a beautiful ship, has nice cabins and comfortable bedding, the indoor thallasso pool is to die for, I won a jackpot on a slot machine and thought the food and service were great.

I've sailed NCL twice on the Epic and loved the entertainment and specialty restaurants. I sailed solo and booked one of their studio cabins, tiny but bright, clean and very modern. I'd love to sail on an updated version like the Breakaway.

IMHO, Carnival doesn't come close to offering what these two lines have, and guess what, for a solo pricing is similar or lower!

Edited by evandbob

When I do my Bermuda cruise, I will choose between Celebrity and NCL. The Celebrity Summit is a beautiful ship, has nice cabins and comfortable bedding, the indoor thallasso pool is to die for, I won a jackpot on a slot machine and thought the food and service were great.

I've sailed NCL twice on the Epic and loved the entertainment and specialty restaurants. I sailed solo and booked one of their studio cabins, tiny but bright, clean and very modern. I'd love to sail on an updated version like the Breakaway.

IMHO, Carnival doesn't come close to offering what these two lines have, and guess what, for a solo pricing is similar or lower!

Good food for thought.....not against any line....just different needs at different times...thanks...Sarah

My DW loves Diet Coke/Sprite Zero. That's probably why she doesn't want to sail NCL, if we did NCL, it would be 3200 CDN or 2571 US as of today exchange rate for an OV.

One thing also is to think about booking and what each line does for you for price changes and on board credit ....if possible....with the exchange rate.

My B-in-law would approve....he did not keep diet Pepsi very often for my mom at his house...LOL. He did keep diet A and W root beer for his wife and her siblings...they can not win in that category and more of us drank/drink occ. now that...LOL.

I would probably choose the Celebrity Summit. We're hoping to possibly do the Summit ourselves, we just can't decide on when. We've cruised to Bermuda many, many times, and that was as far back as when the ships (Oceanic, Zenith, Horizon) docked in Hamilton. I've also done many land vacations to Bermuda. It's a beautiful island. We also enjoy our Carnival cruises on their spirit class ships. We'll be sailing for the third time this coming October from Baltimore on the Carnival Pride.

Getting back to Bermuda. If you go, spend some time in Hamilton (get there by Ferry), try to visit St. Georges. If you want swimming, there are beautiful beaches; Horseshoe Bay is a bit crowded, but there are plenty of other beaches. The Bermudian residents are very helpful and will gladly help you with directions to less crowded beaches. Incidentally, all of our cruises to Bermuda were in Sept. or Oct. I suppose we were lucky, because we never had to deal with a hurricane. When I did land vacations there, it was usually July or Sept. and the weather was very warm. If you enjoy golf or tennis, then April, May and June is a nice time to visit.

Have a wonderful time if you visit Bermuda. It's my favorite place to visit.

We have sailed the Summit 3 times to Bermuda, twice in August and once in May. We enjoyed May, it was warm, but the water was a little chilly. I would definitely do it again! For what to do in Bermuda, go to the destination forums - there is a lot of information there.

Happy Sailing!

Not only length of stay in port, but days and arrival times is also a consideration. I think Grandeur of the Seas arrives late on Sunday afternoons, which limits transportation to taxis as buses and ferries have more limited service on Sundays. A couple of thousand people all trying to get off the ship to the beach at once would not be fun!

We've done Celebrity Summit four times, once in late June, once in late July and twice in mid-August. We've never had an issue with hurricanes, though it does happen occasionally and the ships either leave Bermuda early or arrive to Bermuda later. I've never seen a cancellation.

There are two docks at Kings Wharf, and Celebrity and NCL have what I consider the best times, Wednesday morning to Friday afternoon. On Wednesday evenings during the summer, there is a street party in Hamilton, which is a 20 minute ferry ride away.

The smaller HAL ship docks in downtown Hamilton, which would be very convenient. I have been on a couple of HAL cruises and don't think the demographics are all that much different from any other cruise line, especially during the summer when lots of families are cruising. HAL offers free or reduced rates for 3rd and 4th passengers for past guests.

There are lots of things to do in Bermuda and even with four visits, we still have things we want to do. We're doing a Southern Caribbean this summer, but will likely go back to Bermuda on the Summit next year.