Poll: Should shorts be allowed in MDR on Casual Nights

Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code

• Yes (I am a man)
    • Yes (I am a woman)
    • No (I am a man)
    • No (I am a woman)

Coming from a climate (or is it weather over here) that allows the wearing of shorts for only a few days/weeks of the year (UK)

I love to wear shorts a much as possible when the weather permits,

When on cruises generally only changing into long trousers, for Dinner.

For the evening, for me, if would feel strange to be going out for dinner in more formal surroundings in shorts,

although I don't like dressing formally and its definitely too hot on-board to be wearing shirt, tie and jackets, when the aircon is set to the level that most of the ladies feel comfortable with.

so I'm in the smart casual/long trousers for MDR brigade,

shorts for the buffet

BTW I've seen guests in the MDR in the same shorts they have been wearing around the ship during the past X days as well. (same T shirts as well.) :eek:

For the evening, for me, if would feel strange to be going out for dinner in more formal surroundings in shorts,

The keywords in this poll to me are "allowed on casual nights".

I dont think anyone is advocating for shorts to be allowed on formal nights. And I have never understood how the time of day makes the MDR more "formal".

I would never wear shorts to the MDR on any night. With my pasty white, severely atrophied legs, its hard to get me in shorts period. Im totally ok with others wearing them though. Absolutely makes no difference to me.

Edited by ryano

DARN, this reminds me that I forgot to get a picture of Frank and I wearing our robes out to the Flowrider :p We had robes and YES, we did wear them out to the Flowrider one night when we had rented it out. I don't much care for being cold and wet :D

I dont think anyone is advocating for shorts to be allowed on formal nights. And I have never understood how the time of day makes the MDR more "formal".

Not the topic of this poll, but some people would like to do away with formal nights altogether, and there are certainly those in favor of "wear whatever you want" on the existing formal nights.

As for the time of day comment, that's not hard for most people to understand. Formality is more than just venue; it also relates to occasion. So, a dinner can be more formal than a lunch in the very same space. It's not that much different than how a wedding reception can make a Holiday Inn meeting room more formal than it might have been for a kid's birthday party the day before.

Edited by Paul65

I wouldn't mind a shorts option on casual night. But then people would wear all sorts of shorts, maybe 'too' casual if you can say that.

On one cruise we were at a large table and on formal night, 3 of the young adult males came straight from the basketball court in their shorts for dinner. It bothered me because it seemed disrespectful of the other diners. If shorts were allowed, yes, I think we would get more of this.

But overall I think we are moving towards a more casual experience dress-wise, and I don't mind that. You can still look nice if you want to.

These are big ships. There will always be someone annoying onboard.

That seems more a hygiene issue. I don't care what people wear as long as they and their clothes are clean.

if the choice was Formal or shorts, I'd definitely choose shorts

Those who wear shorts (because that's what they wear at home- I'm not having ago at anyone) should try a British isles cruise in April :rolleyes:

or a trip to Iceland/Alaska

You may need your thermal legins under your shorts ;)

As for the time of day comment, that's not hard for most people to understand. Formality is more than just venue; it also relates to occasion. So, a dinner can be more formal than a lunch in the very same space. It's not that much different than how a wedding reception can make a Holiday Inn meeting room more formal than it might have been for a kid's birthday party the day before.

Thank you Captain Obvious but I already know and realize that. I was not referring to the formal "theme nights". Now can you please tell me how the time of day makes the Main Dining Room any more formal on CASUAL nights?

The OP I quoted was clearly referring to it being "more formal surroundings" on casual nights. Are those not the same surroundings they were during that same day?

Thank you Captain Obvious but I already know and realize that. I was not referring to the formal "theme nights". Now can you please tell me how the time of day makes the Main Dining Room any more formal on CASUAL nights?

The OP I quoted was clearly referring to it being "more formal surroundings" on casual nights. Are those not the same surroundings they were during that same day?

HAHAHA... thanks for the laugh man.

Paul's been on a tear the past week or so. Must be taking his vitamins.

I wasn't referring to theme nights either. As I said, dinner can be (and often is) considered more formal than lunch, even if it's not a "theme night" or special occasion. Many restaurants on land treat lunch as more casual than dinner, even though it's the same surroundings, and they don't have theme nights.

So, yes, the surroundings are the same at lunch, but many people simply consider lunch a more casual meal. By "occasion" I didn't mean to imply formal night, but rather that dinner is a different occasion than lunch.

Edited by Paul65

You know who else hated hairy legs? HITLER!!!

Since we're invoking internet rules, figured I'd get Godwin's Law out of the way.

Next will be Rule 34.

Did the Carnival Chain Mail dress show up here yet?

Yet nobody has explained why they are paying attention to what others are wearing , how pants makes their food better, since MDR food is decent, or why they are not paying attention to the people at their table?

Well, some people have contended it's about seeing leg hair :eek:, but I think it's really more about an overall ambiance. It's not that any individual's attire has a big effect on ambiance, but as the standards change and more and more people opt for more casual appearance, it does have a big effect.

It doesn't change how the food tastes; it just changes the mood a bit. And before you get into claiming anything crazy, I already said earlier that it's not a make or break thing for me; I'd just prefer if things in the MDR stayed a little more toward the upscale side.

No one will ever be forced to wear shorts if they do not want to.

That's great, because when I wear shorts, the tourist economy in Maine drops by 95%. :eek: My wearing shorts in the MDR would not only put the entire ship off its feed, it would curdle the milk.