Poll: Should shorts be allowed in MDR on Casual Nights

Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code

• Yes (I am a man)
    • Yes (I am a woman)
    • No (I am a man)
    • No (I am a woman)

Very Interesting.. there HAS been a change to the wording.

Check out this 2012 Compass...

http://issuu.com/hochmania/docs/cruise_compass_day_1_p1/3?e=0

It clearly states this underneath the Dinner section: "Please note that bare feet, short pants and tank tops are not permitted at any meal in the Dining Room".

This exact statement is no longer in the 2015 compasses I have looked at. (see my last post just above this one).

Interesting. I looked a little more, and did find one, an Allure Compass from Jan 2015, that was similar to what he described. It omitted "shorts" from the items prohibited in the MDR, but had another comment that "T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch." So, that left the implication, but not an express policy, that shorts were still not acceptable for dinner. But they were off the banned list, so perhaps a way of easing into lower standards.

The recent (2105) compasses I saw for three or four other ships still had shorts in the "not permitted" list. I was just scanning through some compasses on the RC blog site, and not keeping notes. I know one of the ships I looked at was Navigator from late Feb. Don't remember the others.

Oh, the no shorts note is still there in the 2015 compasses.. but only in the "Specialty Restaurant" Section.

Do you think I am reading too much into this?

You didnt ask me this but IMHO, you are not reading too much into it.

The Compasses I am looking at are worded

Dinner - Please note that swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, ball caps & pool wear are not allowed in the main dining room or specialty restaurants.

I dont see anything in that about no shorts allowed. :)

Untitled_1.jpg

Interesting. I looked a little more, and did find one, an Allure Compass from Jan 2015, .

Gah, I think thats one of the ones I looked at too. :o

Just more proof that Royal Caribbean is consistently inconsistent? :p

I tend to think the bringing two bottles of wine onboard and the drink package rules were changed to bring them more in line with Celebrity - who already allowed those things - rather than because a few people make a fuss on Cruise Critic.

If they bring the MDR rules more in line with Celebrity they're less likely to allow shorts in there. Have often seen shorts in MDR on Royal but never on Celebrity.

Shorts on X are allowed fro breakfast and lunch, just not dinner.

Yes...of course they should be allowed...times have changed and it's time RCI change with what their cruiser's want. Anyone that feels that what someone wears will affect their dining enjoyment should just avoid looking at them...

I'm sorry but I have to correct your statement here. Anyone that feels that what someone wears will affect their dining enjoyment should quit crawling around on their hands and knees under the dining room tables looking at peoples legs.

So what happens when your RCCL decides that shorts will be allowed in the main dining room for suppertime?

Some men wear shorts. Some men wear pants. Some women wear shorts. Some women wear skirts. Some women wear pants. And some people's heads just explode. [emoji33]

I meant for dinner - I thought that's what the poll was about :confused:

Sorry, I just thought I would clarify.

The poll isn't worded as being only for dinner and is in regards to RCI and not X.

Poll: Should shorts be allowed in MDR on Casual Nights

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There will be four choices to this poll

Yes (Man)

Yes (Woman)

No (Man)

No (Woman)

This has absolutely nothing to do with formal night. No one will ever be forced to wear shorts if they do not want to.

I wore them on a semi-formal night on my first cruise 21 years ago. They were dress shorts that were a part of a cream-colored 3-piece outfit. My only regret is that I did not have the fashion sense to leave off the cream colored pantyhose. But, hey! It was the '90s and in my 20s. What did I know about fashion?

The text being referenced from the cruise compass within the dining times section is not authoritative information. While interpretation of the terminology takes place due to RCI lack of clarity and use of the term "Dress Suggestion", the webpage is updated occasionally with the current dining dress code.

On the first page of every Cruise Compass, it states in caps:

TONIGHT'S DINNER DRESS SUGGESTION:

Casual

Smart Casual or

Formal

The only authoritative source currently is the FAQ of the webpage that states clearly.

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255

LMaxwell, I respect your posts elsewhere whenever I have read them, and I agree with your arguments on this thread, generally, with one exception. Please do not put the blame on the wives, okay? There is no evidence that stuffed-shirt men are parading around in uptight clothes and wishing to dictate a dress-code because they are pussy-whipped. That's an insult to me and untold numbers of other women. (It's actually also insulting to the men).

By this time in my life, I see much evidence that people of a certain age just like to tell other people what to do. I don't know why that is, and it's a tendency I resist in my own aging self. And, to the person who made the point that these very etiquette lecturers were probably wearing headbands, tie-dye, batik and giving older people finger in the in the 60's, good on you! Buncha hypocrites!

Why would I care what somebody else wears to dinner on a ship? Can't think of a reason. They are very soon seated, and you can't see their pants for the tablecloths anyway (not that their clothes are any of my business). But even if I could see their short pants, I couldn't care less, - just so long as they are interesting people who will carry on a civilized conversation with their table-mates, and contribute to making the dinner table a pleasant social experience.

For our part, we cruise in the Caribbean every winter, and are starved to get out of this cold climate. We have to wear mitts, hats, long pants, boots, parkas and scarves all winter. The opportunity to get rid of all this stuff and feel, for a few days, that we are in summer again is a life-line for us. We are not patient with people telling us to put on constricting long clothes. We'll have to do that again soon enough anyway.

To appease everyone, I wonder if the MDR could be divided up into a shorts and everybody else section?

All the people who want to dress down (and I don't mean from formal nights), can be placed on one level or to one side of the dining room and the rest who "meet" the dress code on the other.

That way everyone is happy. They get to wear what they want, dine in the dining room and no one is offended by what the other people at their table or nearby are wearing.

The shorts/very casual won't be made uncomfortable by the people wearing more clothing than they are at their table and the others won't be upset with the people wearing shorts at their table.

This could work under MTD. The maitre'd can direct traffic to the appropriate section based on the clothing in the party - one pair of shorts in your group and you are placed in the shorts section. You can even book ahead and say you are wearing shorts and your reservation will be in the appropriate section.

Just a thought....totally tongue-in-cheek

Looks like it is about 57 percent of the 500 people believe like I do that feel free to wear shorts but eat in Windjammer. Was not that long ago that on formal some cruise line would give you a jacket if you did not have one, they were very ugly jackets. I was away from RCCL for a few years and was very surprised that on that ship ( Navigator ) there was no enforcement of the dress code, remembering remarking to my wife that it looks like we were on a Carnival cruise. Also I do think of RCCL as a step above Carnival and NCL, and I am cruised on both in the past but will not consider them in the future.

To appease everyone, I wonder if the MDR could be divided up into a shorts and everybody else section?

All the people who want to dress down (and I don't mean from formal nights), can be placed on one level or to one side of the dining room and the rest who "meet" the dress code on the other.

That way everyone is happy. They get to wear what they want, dine in the dining room and no one is offended by what the other people at their table or nearby are wearing.

The shorts/very casual won't be made uncomfortable by the people wearing more clothing than they are at their table and the others won't be upset with the people wearing shorts at their table.

This could work under MTD. The maitre'd can direct traffic to the appropriate section based on the clothing in the party - one pair of shorts in your group and you are placed in the shorts section. You can even book ahead and say you are wearing shorts and your reservation will be in the appropriate section.

LOl, and I thought it was almost a good idea.:p

Will they seat me in the section with all the mini skirts? And the DW in the fuddy duddy's section?:D

Just in..... She votes to be seated in the section with the guys in shorts.;) She's a sucker for a good pair of calfs.

Edited by DirtyDawg

:rolleyes:

It is interesting and I agree. Maybe their wives would not allow them to take advantage of a more relaxed dress requirement? Or maybe they just can't cede any "control" and want people to do things their way? Not sure, but those are among my theories.

It's called the Windjammer...

You didnt ask me this but IMHO, you are not reading too much into it.

The Compasses I am looking at are worded

Dinner - Please note that swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, ball caps & pool wear are not allowed in the main dining room or specialty restaurants.

I dont see anything in that about no shorts allowed. :)

Untitled_1.jpg

Thanks for posting this, however, it seems like it does not matter what the cruise line says to an awful lot of people, if they don't agree with it. They do what they want since the cruise line seems to do nothing to enforce what they say goes.

Where is the like button?

Thanks for posting this, however, it seems like it does not matter what the cruise line says to an awful lot of people, if they don't agree with it. They do what they want since the cruise line seems to do nothing to enforce what they say goes.