Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code

• Yes (I am a man)
    • Yes (I am a woman)
    • No (I am a man)
    • No (I am a woman)

LMaxwell, your obsession with dress codes is a little unnerving. Seriously. :o

I can discuss whatever I want on this site as relates to cruising. If you don't like it, don't participate. Not sure what to tell you otherwise.

We've over 100 votes from men and the results are nearly 50-50, which I actually find fascinating. I would have expected more men to be in favor of permitting shorts in the MDR, but maybe not.

It is interesting and I agree. Maybe their wives would not allow them to take advantage of a more relaxed dress requirement? Or maybe they just can't cede any "control" and want people to do things their way? Not sure, but those are among my theories.

It is interesting and I agree. Maybe their wives would not allow them to take advantage of a more relaxed dress requirement? Or maybe they just can't cede any "control" and want people to do things their way? Not sure, but those are among my theories.

Oh dear, the poll isn't quite going the way you hoped is it ;)

Edited by Bobal

I wouldn't do it (I was brought up to "dress for dinner") but if people want to wear shorts, who cares? There were a lot of people in shorts in the MDR on my recent Brilliance cruise. I was surprised, but it didn't bother me at all. Didn't change the way the food tasted or anything. Frankly, some of the things I saw on formal night were way more offensive than the shorts I saw. I think there should be requirements about how much of your body has to be covered!!

I too was on a recent Brilliance cruise and it may have been the same one. I know exactly what you're talking about regarding formal night attire. There were many people in shorts in MDR on casual night and they were more covered up than some of the women on formal night.

My problem with shorts in the dining room is that it doesn't match the venue. You have a nice dining room, servers dressed so nice, a table set up just right, the food comes out looking like the pictures in magazines, and it's served to people who look like they are on spring break. When we go to Ruth Crist or Flemings, when we are on a land vacation, we don't even consider wearing shorts. Change the venue to look like Sizzlers or Olive Garden and I'm all for it.

Cruising used to be something special now it's just a Motel 6 on the sea.

Much like how two people can look at the same picture and see something totally different, my take on the MDR is different. To me it's loud, crowded, people running around, lines at the entrance. Not an environment where one would be able to really enjoy a good meal. Having someone in shorts in that environment seems perfectly acceptable to me and wouldn't detract from my experience at all.

I'll speak for myself. I think the poll is going great.

Fair enough. I thought the fact that you were resorting to insults showed the opposite, but perhaps insulting those who think differently than you was what you hoped for.

It's going much better than I anticipated actually! I think it is great.

I agree. Given that the poll is here on Cruise Critic, I expected the results to be even more heavily skewed toward not allowing shorts. CC seems to have a lot of veteran cruisers who are reluctant to see things change. I'm somewhat surprised it's as even as it is.

Fair enough. I thought the fact that you were resorting to insults showed the opposite, but perhaps insulting those who think differently than you was what you hoped for.

What are you talking about? What insults?

Yes...of course they should be allowed...times have changed and it's time RCI change with what their cruiser's want. Anyone that feels that what someone wears will affect their dining enjoyment should just avoid looking at them...after all you that wear (ball gowns, brides maid dresses and out of date tux's) have no affect on me. I've sailed on over 20+ RCI cruises and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere that is finally taking place.

Just off Mariner and believe me the ones (two couples) in the CL that looked like they were dressed for a coronation were the ones that looked out of place.

We just returned from Mariner (3 & 8 night cruises) and shorts were on in the MDR both on casual and formal night. Didn't ruin the night for me or anyone at our table.

What are you talking about? What insults?

"Maybe their wives would not allow them to take advantage of a more relaxed dress requirement? Or maybe they just can't cede any "control" and want people to do things their way?"

Perhaps you thought those were complimentary ways to describe those whose opinion differed from yours. :rolleyes:

A question how many of you go out for dinner too Chile's, Applebe's and other resturants in you home towns wearing shorts?? I sure a lot of you do and no questions asked. So what differance does it if you on shore or on a cruise ship.

DW and I just got back from our 1st NCL cruise and it was two weeks long. Yes, it was nice to be able to wear a nice pair of shorts and golf shirt to dinner. I did this option more than I thought I would. Yes, one of the main dinning rooms was for dress up and men had to wear long pants for dinner. I did on serval nights wear long pants. But most nights I did wear shorts. We had dinner 3 nights in specialty resturants and with a ship officer(long pants:eek:) and at least 4 nights up to the buffet.

If RCI went this way, it sure would make packing a lot easier. I would just dress as I would to play golf: ie nice shorts and collared shirt.

Vic

A question how many of you go out for dinner too Chile's, Applebe's and other resturants in you home towns wearing shorts?? I sure a lot of you do and no questions asked. So what differance does it if you on shore or on a cruise ship.

FR_diningrm.jpg

50thStreetApplebees_V4_460x285.jpg

You're right. No difference... :D

"Maybe their wives would not allow them to take advantage of a more relaxed dress requirement? Or maybe they just can't cede any "control" and want people to do things their way?"

Perhaps you thought those were complimentary ways to describe those whose opinion differed from yours. :rolleyes:

They are among my theories of why there are not more "yes" votes.

Many traditionalist men like to please their wives and will put the wishes of their wife above their own.

In doing so, they may find happiness in making their wife happy, but they aren't choosing the thing they ultimately would like to do.

I often find those types then project their lack of choice onto others by not wanting them to have choices either. Now, this is just a generalization and doesn't apply to everyone, but it is a trait I have noticed and I commented on it to the effect that possibly there would be more yes votes if this were not a concern or factor.

My grandfather doted on my grandmother and enjoyed making her happy. But this also meant at times that he did not get to do the things he liked or wanted to do. But he still had joy in pleasing her. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for anyone to be offended by me commenting on what some might even label as chivalrous action.

You seem to have a major axe to grind with me. I don't know why, but it is becoming quite annoying. You state you don't understand why anyone would want to do what I want to do myself. Then you keep coming back to answer for me (incorrectly) and be insulted by things I haven't said when you misconstrue them. Perhaps take the opportunity to learn and a moment to read the words as they are written, even ask their meaning, before leaping to be insulted. I'm always game for a discussion, but I can't have a discussion when the other person is obstinate or deliberately stubborn, or unwilling to consider other points of view. That is a choice entirely for you to make.

You seem to have a major axe to grind with me. I don't know why, but it is becoming quite annoying. You state you don't understand why anyone would want to do what I want to do myself.

I have not once stated that I don't understand why anyone would want to do what you want to do. Maybe that's why I have an "axe to grind" with you. You lie about things I've said. You did it before, and I tried to politely point out that I'd never said such a thing. :p

Honestly, though, I think it's more you who has an axe to grind with me, else you wouldn't find it necessarily to make false statements about what I've said.

Edited by Paul65

My vote is simple. NEVER, should shorts be allowed in MDR. The windjammer is the place for them. How hard is it to put on a pair of chinos or dressy jeans on casual night.

What about breakfast or lunch? The MDR allows shorts at those meals. Why is it acceptable for 2/3 of the day, but not the remaining 1/3?

It is not hard to put on pants on casual night. But I would prefer not to. I am on vacation and do not want to dress up on casual nights. But I also want the MDR service I have paid for in my cruise fare. I won't sacrifice service by going to the Windjammer, and I won't pay more to go to specialty either just so you don't have to see me. I actively lobby for the things I want. I write to the cruise line and I vote with my wallet. I don't treat other cruisers like second class citizens and tell them I do not want to look at them. I respect your wishes to dress how you please and won't tell you where it is acceptable for you to eat. You should have the same respect for others. This is not a private yacht.

Finally, I would like to ask you honestly - What is it about what others wear that bothers you?

Edited by LMaxwell

I am a male in my 60's who voted yes. We are veteran cruisers and have been on twenty-four cruises on six different lines. I may or may not ever wear shorts in the MDR, but if I do, I don't see how it impacts the enjoyment of a cruise by others. We have never concerned ourselves with what others choose to wear.