Review of Quantum of the Seas

This review is for the Quantum of the Seas ship. My family of four sailed from Feb 20th-March 1st. I am a seasoned cruiser and have sailed many different times on Royal Caribbean, as well as a number of other lines (crystal, ncl, princess, carnival, holland, and wind song). To be honest I have cruised so much on royal I am a diamond member.

This vacation was terrible, and if anyone has children under the age of 7 I would strongly reconsider going on this ship. The ship was not designed with the intention of children in mind. The kids club was utterly depressing and the staff seemed sad to be there. One of the staff members even said to us when we went to the kids club that if you want the "family cruise", go on oasis or allure as this ship took away the space from the adventure club to make bigger staterooms. We have been on oasis and we were very impressed with the kids club on that ship, this was nothing like that. It was dark depressing, separated to span over two floors, no children's theater like oasis and really just a dismal place for children to be sent to. Also, the staff in the kids club were not enthusiastic and seemed sad to be there themselves. I just in sep. went on NCL, and their kids club shines over this one by leaps and bounds. There staff were enthusiastic and happy with each encounter.

To continue on the kids note, we were very disappointed to find out that our 3 year old could not go on the North Star (observatory) due to height restrictions. Also, our 4.75 year old could not go on the bumper cars as a passenger, as a child has to be 5. For months we had been talking to him about the bumper cars and then found this out once on board. Luckily we found out before heading up there from a fellow cruiser, however we heard many people waited in line and then found out. What an utter fail on Royal Caribbean to disappoint so many young children. I understand not letting them drive, but to not let them on as a passenger. The restaurants were not geared for bringing your children. Each time it took over 5 minutes to get a children's menu.

In regards to our room we decided to do an inside cabin as with our children we tend to be out of the room most of the day. However, do not do this as the bed for my child was a sofa (not pulled out) but with a sheet placed on top. It was disgusting. Every time he slept he would wake up with the sheet not on the sofa but his head on the sofa direct. This can not be considered sanitary. Also our bathroom had pubic hairs on the floor when we came in for the first time. We went through complaining on the phone (took 45 min on hold) to find out that nothing was done. By the way if you want to call the front desk, your phone in the room does not have a speaker phone and the average wait was 30-45 min. We opted to not complain a second time as we didn't want to be a slave to the wait time. Another complaint about the room was the virtual balcony. The virtual balcony was good when working, however for us it didn't work half the time. It was either green or purple (pics will be uploaded to business site).

The ship was so overcrowded that buffet was very difficult to find seating. I have never not been able to find a seat at the buffet on a cruise before however this happened twice on this one. With two children under 5 that is not fun. On prior ships if staff saw me with my children they would always rush in to aid with finding a table, not on this ship.

The royal IQ ap worked 50% of the time. I have an apple device, yet still had such difficulty connecting. Also, the photo-shop place kept having technical difficulties when trying to view photos, very frustrating.

The dinner service in the Grande was absolutely terrible. In the entirety of my 2 hour dinner I never received the bottle of wine we ordered (despite inquiring about it twice). The staff were not using their digital devices that night, but instead had returned to paper ordering. On a whole the staff were unhappy and unenthusiastic during dining service throughout the cruise ship. Per conversations with staff, it seems to be due to the electronic component that made them unhappy as there were so many technical problems for them.

Another issue was the smoking. Somehow right when you would exit the indoor pool area to the outdoor pool area you would be confronted with cigarette smoke. I think the placement of this section should be reconsidered.

So to sum this up do not go on this ship. The oasis and the allure are much better ships, this one had that old cruise feel with a cramped royal esplanade area. Better spend your money elsewhere.

IMG_3743.jpg.a65e8fada78fc09f7af146b0b000e63d.jpg

IMG_3746.jpg.f3c371266374194c9adf7f79171d3fb5.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg.5ef1d65478f89776ec1eb09250a539bc.jpg

Sorry you had such a bad time but it does sound like Quantum was not a good fit for your young family. It is always hard when kids what to do activities that size does not allow them.

Can I ask why you called customer service and not your room steward to re clean the room? Do the phones not have button to call you steward? I remember other ships having that option.

Did the children's menu change or was it the same in all the restaurants?

I'm still waiting on my 10% discount certificate from the same cruise (because of the issue one night with the air conditioning in the restaurants).

I totally agree about the kid sleeping on the couch (which was more like a uncomfortable hard foam futon).

Yes phishfano4 I completely forgot about that 10% off discount certificate. That was a pretty terrible night for some with no air conditioning or their dining preferences.

Jenjer you are correct that I could have discussed the dirty bathroom issue with the steward but I was actually embarrassed to bring it up to him.

We were on the cruise the week before you and thought the food and entertainment were some of the best we've experienced on a cruise. The staff we encountered were all very friendly and accomodating. The ship itself is one of the most beautiful we've encountered.

We loved the hi-tech features like the Bionic Bar, and the robot shows in 270, along with Mama Mia, and Sonic Odyssey.

Can't comment on children's entertainment since we didn't have any along.

Will agree that it was hard to find tables in the Windjammer.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise.

Funny but a few days ago, someone was complaining that the Quantum was designed for young people with features like Flowrider, IFly, NorthStar, Bumper Cars, Roller Skating, etc.

Seems the ship isn't designed for the old or young. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
This review is for the Quantum of the Seas ship. My family of four sailed from Feb 20th-March 1st. I am a seasoned cruiser and have sailed many different times on Royal Caribbean, as well as a number of other lines (crystal, ncl, princess, carnival, holland, and wind song). To be honest I have cruised so much on royal I am a diamond member.

This vacation was terrible, and if anyone has children under the age of 7 I would strongly reconsider going on this ship. The ship was not designed with the intention of children in mind. The kids club was utterly depressing and the staff seemed sad to be there. One of the staff members even said to us when we went to the kids club that if you want the "family cruise", go on oasis or allure as this ship took away the space from the adventure club to make bigger staterooms. We have been on oasis and we were very impressed with the kids club on that ship, this was nothing like that. It was dark depressing, separated to span over two floors, no children's theater like oasis and really just a dismal place for children to be sent to. Also, the staff in the kids club were not enthusiastic and seemed sad to be there themselves. I just in sep. went on NCL, and their kids club shines over this one by leaps and bounds. There staff were enthusiastic and happy with each encounter.

To continue on the kids note, we were very disappointed to find out that our 3 year old could not go on the North Star (observatory) due to height restrictions. Also, our 4.75 year old could not go on the bumper cars as a passenger, as a child has to be 5. For months we had been talking to him about the bumper cars and then found this out once on board. Luckily we found out before heading up there from a fellow cruiser, however we heard many people waited in line and then found out. What an utter fail on Royal Caribbean to disappoint so many young children. I understand not letting them drive, but to not let them on as a passenger. The restaurants were not geared for bringing your children. Each time it took over 5 minutes to get a children's menu.

In regards to our room we decided to do an inside cabin as with our children we tend to be out of the room most of the day. However, do not do this as the bed for my child was a sofa (not pulled out) but with a sheet placed on top. It was disgusting. Every time he slept he would wake up with the sheet not on the sofa but his head on the sofa direct. This can not be considered sanitary. Also our bathroom had pubic hairs on the floor when we came in for the first time. We went through complaining on the phone (took 45 min on hold) to find out that nothing was done. By the way if you want to call the front desk, your phone in the room does not have a speaker phone and the average wait was 30-45 min. We opted to not complain a second time as we didn't want to be a slave to the wait time. Another complaint about the room was the virtual balcony. The virtual balcony was good when working, however for us it didn't work half the time. It was either green or purple (pics will be uploaded to business site).

The ship was so overcrowded that buffet was very difficult to find seating. I have never not been able to find a seat at the buffet on a cruise before however this happened twice on this one. With two children under 5 that is not fun. On prior ships if staff saw me with my children they would always rush in to aid with finding a table, not on this ship.

The royal IQ ap worked 50% of the time. I have an apple device, yet still had such difficulty connecting. Also, the photo-shop place kept having technical difficulties when trying to view photos, very frustrating.

The dinner service in the Grande was absolutely terrible. In the entirety of my 2 hour dinner I never received the bottle of wine we ordered (despite inquiring about it twice). The staff were not using their digital devices that night, but instead had returned to paper ordering. On a whole the staff were unhappy and unenthusiastic during dining service throughout the cruise ship. Per conversations with staff, it seems to be due to the electronic component that made them unhappy as there were so many technical problems for them.

Another issue was the smoking. Somehow right when you would exit the indoor pool area to the outdoor pool area you would be confronted with cigarette smoke. I think the placement of this section should be reconsidered.

So to sum this up do not go on this ship. The oasis and the allure are much better ships, this one had that old cruise feel with a cramped royal esplanade area. Better spend your money elsewhere.

your post is a classic example of everyone had a great time on the SAME cruise you were on EXCEPT you????? As far as the children not allowed on the bumper cars and Northstar, well basically have yourself to blame for that. It's hard to believe posts like this, sorry.:rolleyes:

your post is a classic example of everyone had a great time on the SAME cruise you were on EXCEPT you????? As far as the children not allowed on the bumper cars and Northstar, well basically have yourself to blame for that. It's hard to believe posts like this, sorry.:rolleyes:

Well id you look at the less than 50% CC Member approval rating, perhaps the OP (as well as myself) are not too off base. We are both Diamond members and know what a reasonable standard should be!!

Well id you look at the less than 50% CC Member approval rating, perhaps the OP (as well as myself) are not too off base. We are both Diamond members and know what a reasonable standard should be!!

While I will not argue that you did not like your cruise, you do appear to be off-base with your own review. And I quote your review published 11/14/14:

Rating Cabin 1.0

Comment on Cabin Review: "The best balcony cabins in the RCCL fleet: great bathrooms & large flat screen TVs to match!!"

Off base? I think so.

Edited by Nhsaltshaker

While I will not argue that you did not like your cruise, you do appear to be off-base with your own review. And I quote your review published 11/14/14:

Rating Cabin 1.0

Comment on Cabin Review: "The best balcony cabins in the RCCL fleet: great bathrooms & large flat screen TVs to match!!"

Off base? I think so.

The cabin was a 5, however the service by the Cabin Steward was a 1/5, being the worst I have encountered of ANY line. I went back and forth, how I should rate it. The cabin design is excellent, but how do I factor in, the appalling service level?

My Steward Never changed my bed sheets and when I pointed this out to his manager; he made the bed, without a bottom sheet. I am really left without anything to say: I am completely speechless at this point!!

So lets say 5/5 for cabin design, 1/5 for Cabin service.

The cabin was a 5, however the service by the Cabin Steward was a 1/5, being the worst I have encountered of ANY line. I went back and forth, how I should rate it. The cabin design is excellent, but how do I factor in, the appalling service level?

My Steward Never changed my bed sheets and when I pointed this out to his manager; he made the bed, without a bottom sheet. I am really left without anything to say: I am completely speechless at this point!!

You had the sheets from the previous cruisers??? I've never had my sheets changed during a cruise that I'm aware of. I've been on cruises up to 10 nights. How often are they supposed to change them during a cruise?

I would have rated service under the category of Service.

Oh boy I'll tell I think RCCL should take this ship, and the other 2 already ordered and sink them to the bottom of the Atlantic:eek: I have never in my life heard such bitching in my life. They go out and spend billions of dollars on new ships, one of which for NJ, and its not exactly like the other ships in the fleet and people can't adapt or be happy.:rolleyes:

I am a very even keeled cruise passenger, I understand there will be lines, and EVERYTHING won't go my way, there are 3 thousand other passengers beside me. I also understand the staff are NOT my slaves and are to do what I want, when I say I want it.:rolleyes:

I am a very even keeled cruise passenger, I understand there will be lines, and EVERYTHING won't go my way, there are 3 thousand other passengers beside me. I also understand the staff are NOT my slaves and are to do what I want, when I say I want it.:rolleyes:

If this statement above is correct, then why this statement below?

Oh boy I'll tell I think RCCL should take this ship, and the other 2 already ordered and sink them to the bottom of the Atlantic:eek: I have never in my life heard such bitching in my life. They go out and spend billions of dollars on new ships, one of which for NJ, and its not exactly like the other ships in the fleet and people can't adapt or be happy.:rolleyes:

Are you even keeled or do you want to bitch like the rest? ** Confused **

That's total BS.....when have you have your sheets CHANGED on a cruise and how exactly did you know the sheets were or were not changed????? Did you leave a stain on the sheets and notice it still there or did you stay in your stateroom 24 hours a day waiting to see if your sheets were changed.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If this statement above is correct, then why this statement below?

Are you even keeled or do you want to bitch like the rest? ** Confused **

It was meant as sarcastic humor, I mean really, you couldn't figure that out??:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You had the sheets from the previous cruisers??? I've never had my sheets changed during a cruise that I'm aware of. I've been on cruises up to 10 nights. How often are they supposed to change them during a cruise?

It was Quantum's Maiden Voyage (I was the first person in the cabin) so, the cabin attendant never made the bed correctly in the first place. He really had no idea what he was doing and never bothered to clean up the baloney, etc.

Much like a hotel, I have me sheets changed often: guys, this is not a timeshare, where they only clean the room weekly!!

Edited by gkbiiii

It was Quantum's Maiden Voyage (I was the first person in the cabin) so, the cabin attendant never made the bed correctly in the first place. He really had no idea what he was doing and never bothered to clean up the baloney, etc.

Much like a hotel, I have me sheets changed often: guys, this is not a timeshare, where they only clean the room weekly!!

I've never had my sheets changed during a cruise. I've always had my room serviced twice a day, but they don't change the sheets every day. I don't even have my towels changed every day. I hang them up to dry.