Ruby Mini: Aft or Fwd or pay more $ for Mid?

donandmelissa

My wife and I are planning on taking a 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Ruby. We have reseached the boards on CC and have determined that we want an uncovered mini suite. The only remaining decision is location. For those of you who have sailed on this class of ship in a mini suite, what is your recommendation for location and why? Thanks in advance for your helpful advice.

My wife and I are planning on taking a 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Ruby. We have reseached the boards on CC and have determined that we want an uncovered mini suite. The only remaining decision is location. For those of you who have sailed on this class of ship in a mini suite, what is your recommendation for location and why? Thanks in advance for your helpful advice.

Covered quiet minis on Emerald deck are the best imo.

There are only a few so they go fast.

A Caribe deck reg cabin with a huge balcony would be the second choice.

3rd would be the uncovered Dolphion deck mini's.

We like to book further aft 600-700 area. Up to the aft pool and HC.

In ships without center staircases our preference is to be either fore or aft, simply to avoid congestion. Otherwise it makes absolutely no difference to us, we've been fore, midships, aft, higher up and lower. The important thing is to be on the ship and enjoy yourselves.

We prefer the UNcovered minis as well. Nice full sun during the day and stars straight ahead at night.

The location depends on your situation. Do either of you get seasick? If so, pay more for the mid-ship area. If not, go slightly aft. Best location IMO. If you can get around the 600's where there are no inside cabins across from you, that is the best location IMO.

My preference is towards the aft for a couple of reasons. One is that the buffet is at the aft as is the Traditional dining room. Another reason is that it's easier to get to Skywalkers which is a bar/nightclub in the evenings but during the day is a nice, quiet place to read, do needlework, etc.

The forward cabins are closer to the Princess theater on deck 7 and the Trident grill and forward pool on Lido (deck 15.)

It's really a personal preference.

In ships without center staircases our preference is to be either fore or aft, simply to avoid congestion.
Only the Grand, Royal, Regal and much smaller Princess ships don't have center staircases which isn't applicable to the OP since they're sailing on the Ruby. Edited by Pam in CA

As you have posted, you have done your research and want one of the uncovered a Dolphin deck minis. With that resolved, I would suggest the Cat MD cabins just forward of the aft elevators (D628-D633) or the Cat ME cabins just forward of the forward elevators (D218-D223). The cabins are less expensive than the Cat MA and MB cabins are are identical inside and out. It is nice being close to a stairway and there are not noise issues. The other choice would be D732 or D733 if they are open. Those two balconies are twice the size but the back half tends to be windy when underway. We have been in the similarly sized balcony E731 on the Crown and thoroughly enjoyed the balcony but we had to stay near the partition at times when underway. I would book that cabin again in a heartbeat. We prefer cabins by the aft elevators, but look at the deck plans and see what areas of the ship you will be using most and pick forward or aft based upon short distance to travel. As far as motion is concerned, I will disagree with other about having issues with aft cabins. We were the farthest aft on Caribe balcony in very rough seas, 12-18 feet, for more than 8 hours between the Falklands and Cape Horn and our cabin didn't have greater issues than being midships.

Our first Hawaii, we did a B2B. The first leg was in an aft mini, the second leg was in a balcony forward. We booked at 2 different times due to a great price drop, so forward was the only option.

OK. The Pacific is NOT named pacific because it is peaceful. IF YOU GET HIGH SEAS, you will not be a happy camper if you are forward.:eek:

On our second leg, we hit some major high seas. The Beaufort scale which is used to measure high seas is from 0 to 12. Ours was a 10!! Many were ill (not us). DH couldn't sleep from the rocking and rolling (he is a very light sleeper). I slept like a baby (I am not a light sleeper).

If sea sickness or fear of all that movement is an issue for you - stay in the back:D

BTW: the Dolphin deck minis are great. Uncovered balconies let you look up at the sky and down at the water. And no one pays any attention to what you are doing (unless you are being naughty).

Edited by JF - retired RRT

If your itinerary includes many ports where tendering is necessary, you might be careful about a mini-suite in midship area. We were in D518 on the Ruby last August and were suddenly awaked very early on at least two occasions due to life boats being lowered for tendering. I don't recall whether or not mini suites are available on higher decks, but if they are I'd advise trying to get higher than Dolphin deck.

If your itinerary includes many ports where tendering is necessary, you might be careful about a mini-suite in midship area. We were in D518 on the Ruby last August and were suddenly awaked very early on at least two occasions due to life boats being lowered for tendering. I don't recall whether or not mini suites are available on higher decks, but if they are I'd advise trying to get higher than Dolphin deck.

No mini's on a higher deck.

My wife and I have never had trouble with getting seasick, so I'll boldly say: "It really doesn't matter."

I'd prefer aft to fore, but if you want to save a few bucks, and no one in your party is prone to a queasy stomach, go for whatever is cheapest. Usually that's up front.

On the other hand, if you don't want to chance stomach problems, it's usually only $20 or so more to go to midships. You don't say what cruise you're looking at (other than Ruby to Hawaii), so it's hard for anyone to tell what the price difference is.

Jim

My wife and I have never had trouble with getting seasick, so I'll boldly say: "It really doesn't matter."

I'd prefer aft to fore, but if you want to save a few bucks, and no one in your party is prone to a queasy stomach, go for whatever is cheapest. Usually that's up front.

On the other hand, if you don't want to chance stomach problems, it's usually only $20 or so more to go to midships. You don't say what cruise you're looking at (other than Ruby to Hawaii), so it's hard for anyone to tell what the price difference is.

Jim

$20? What cruise would that be? I see a lot bigger jump then $20 in price going midships. Its the prime location.

My preference is towards the aft for a couple of reasons. One is that the buffet is at the aft as is the Traditional dining room. Another reason is that it's easier to get to Skywalkers which is a bar/nightclub in the evenings but during the day is a nice, quiet place to read, do needlework, etc.

The forward cabins are closer to the Princess theater on deck 7 and the Trident grill and forward pool on Lido (deck 15.)

It's really a personal preference.

Only the Grand, Royal, Regal and much smaller Princess ships don't have center staircases which isn't applicable to the OP since they're sailing on the Ruby.

So sorry, didn't know one wasn't allowed to express a personal opinion.

$20? What cruise would that be? I see a lot bigger jump then $20 in price going midships. Its the prime location.
On a typical Ruby Hawaiian cruise, each category has a $100 increase.

Cat ME: $3,099 - Emerald Aft and Dolphin Forward

Cat MD: $3,199 - Dolphin Aft

Cat MB: $3,399 - Dolphin Mid-Forward and Mid-Aft

Cat MB: $3,499 - Dolphin Midship

There can be sales and prices will be less through a TA but there will still be a significant price jump.

OK, my bad. I've been looking at a lot of short cruises lately, trying to get from Ruby to Platinum before our canal cruise.

Jim

Covered quiet minis on Emerald deck are the best imo.

There are only a few so they go fast.

A Caribe deck reg cabin with a huge balcony would be the second choice.

3rd would be the uncovered Dolphion deck mini's.

We like to book further aft 600-700 area. Up to the aft pool and HC.

Definitely go for an aft Emerald deck mini.....:):):)

Bob