Nieuw Amsterdam being refurbished prior to TA?

Tangocherie

Having noticed on another thread that Nieuw Amsterdam was not on the sailing schedule starting March 29/2015, I called a reservations agent at Holland America. He told me the ship would be refurbished between then and it's departure for the Transatlantic cruise leaving April 8/2015.

I wonder what sort of work she will be receiving? Is anyone in the know? It would be nice to have her all freshened up for my TA sailing.:)

When were ***** her a few weeks ago, we were told by the guy trying to fix the vibration issues that she would receive new carpeting throughout, paint and new azipod engines. Not sure what else.

Enjoy your cruise

ML

Having noticed on another thread that Nieuw Amsterdam was not on the sailing schedule starting March 29/2015, I called a reservations agent at Holland America. He told me the ship would be refurbished between then and it's departure for the Transatlantic cruise leaving April 8/2015.

I wonder what sort of work she will be receiving? Is anyone in the know? It would be nice to have her all freshened up for my TA sailing.:)

That is a great news !!!:):)

We will sail on Ms Nieuw Amsterdam in May ! Hope no more complaints about vibration .

Hi everyone!

We are on the 2nd part of our Carribean cruise and in St. Thomas enjoying the view and Royal Princess is next to us! Sorry to disappoint but was told replacing all old Sole Televisions, carpeting through out, re pairing the retractable roof having problems and will be in dry dock on March 30th through April 7th in the Bahahams. No engine repairs due to vibrations. Per the Capt. He is a gret guy and young. If vibration was the problem here it no longer exists. Been to Tammarind 4 times and the vibration problem has been fixed. We are on deck 6 6056 no problems. Oh yes all captain chairs in crows nest are being replaced.

Right now the medics came and took a women off in the emergency vehicle. Do. Of know what happened.

Having a great time!

Denise sunny San Diego

Have I missed something as to why a 5 year old ship needs brand new azipods?

Yes some people make mention of Signature Class vibration from time to time. But nothing was ever so significant that it seemed it would necessitate replacing the azipods all together...

Well, I'm not expert (but I am an engineer and I did sleep in a Holiday Inn recently!!) but the guy we spoke to at dinner was the mechanical engineer HAL had flown to the ship to fix the vibration issues. According to him, there is a design flaw that causes the vibration due to harmonics (not going to get all technical here but its a frequency issue). He had identified most of the sources and was trying to balance the diesel engines to reduce the vibration. He told us the NA was going to get new azipods and I'm not sure that 5 years for these engines is unreasonable (I think they are smaller electric engines not the big diesels). Anyway, he said the carpets and soft goods were going to be replaced. The carpets looked fine to me but they do take a lot of wear and tear. The Sole TV looked pretty good too but we didn't have that many TV channels to watch so it didn't really matter (and BTW, for people who wonder about what connections are available on the TV, the one in our cabin had every connection you could imagine--HDMI, composite, S-video, USB, etc. They were on the bottom of the TV, so a little hard to get to but it could be done. And if you lift the TV up, it will come out of the wall mount!!).

If the vibration (which was noticeable and bad) is now gone, then I'm sure everyone is happy--Captain, crew, pax!!

Just passing the info on...

ML

Sorry, but that engineer told you fantasies.

To replace say two Azipods will take at least 10 days, plus Seatrials.

This is certainly NOT done unless absolutely necessary, and certainly not after only 5 years of service.

Hi everyone!

We are on the 2nd part of our Carribean cruise and in St. Thomas enjoying the view and Royal Princess is next to us! Sorry to disappoint but was told replacing all old Sole Televisions, carpeting through out, re pairing the retractable roof having problems and will be in dry dock on March 30th through April 7th in the Bahahams. No engine repairs due to vibrations. Per the Capt. He is a gret guy and young. If vibration was the problem here it no longer exists. Been to Tammarind 4 times and the vibration problem has been fixed. We are on deck 6 6056 no problems. Oh yes all captain chairs in crows nest are being replaced.

Right now the medics came and took a women off in the emergency vehicle. Do. Of know what happened.

Having a great time!

Denise sunny San Diego

I was on the NA three weeks ago and I never noticed a vibration! I do know she does go to dry-dock and I know there were some problems with the dome of the Mid-ship pool.

Did I dream it or have I read on CC that Nieuw Amsterdam has previously blown an engine?

Yes it did. It was January. I was on the LRBC cruise, and it happened the week before. During the week I was on, we were stopped in the water all day and I believe they were doing engine repairs (it was a sea day).

The carpets are disgusting on the NA, some areas they are in dreadful shape. The captain's chairs in the crow's nest need to be pitched in the garbage. For a newer ship, it hasn't been maintained very well.

Crew were trying to fix the retractable roof in January.

The vibration was noticed while I was on board. It didn't bother me, but for one of my friends, it bothered her a great deal. It was noticeable in the Tamarind. My friend was on deck 4.

I hope the broken toilet issues get fixed too. They have been really bad the past two years. Deck 8 starboard aft had real sewage issues - smells and non working toilets.

I hope the NA will be in good shape for my next LRBC cruise in January.

Edited by sun~

• 2 weeks later...

My $0.02 bits...

Nieuw Amsterdam Currently at GBSY/Freeport for drydock.

Mention was made of her getting ''new azipods''...The routine maintenance drydock visits would include a thorough review of the propulsion apparatus, but not a replacement. What routinely happens is the thrust bearings are replaced ( as they are prone to premature wear and tear....). Electrical units are also looked over in depth...one or two might need a replacement..

Cheers

Yes it did. It was January. I was on the LRBC cruise, and it happened the week before. During the week I was on, we were stopped in the water all day and I believe they were doing engine repairs (it was a sea day).

The carpets are disgusting on the NA, some areas they are in dreadful shape. The captain's chairs in the crow's nest need to be pitched in the garbage. For a newer ship, it hasn't been maintained very well.

Crew were trying to fix the retractable roof in January.

The vibration was noticed while I was on board. It didn't bother me, but for one of my friends, it bothered her a great deal. It was noticeable in the Tamarind. My friend was on deck 4.

I hope the broken toilet issues get fixed too. They have been really bad the past two years. Deck 8 starboard aft had real sewage issues - smells and non working toilets.

I hope the NA will be in good shape for my next LRBC cruise in January.

All I can say is "welcome to how HAL maintains the ships". And the plumbing issues are bog standard crappy Fincantieri plumbing... I'm hopeful that HAL will eventually see a Meyer Werft ship, as IMHO they are higher quality.

Ironically, we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam for three weeks in November and December - and specifically went on a "worn carpet scavenger hunt." (Someone had posted about carpets on the Noordam earlier, and I thought it might be good fodder for our 'live from'.)

We found one spot, between two tables in the Lido - port side, if I recall correctly - that was worn. And we were actively looking for them. So, either there were herds of buffalo moving through the ship in the ensuing three months, or else I tend to think some of this is exaggeration.