How Do Stewards Remember Our Names?

Saphire

One of the first times we were Neptune passengers and when we entered the Lounge for the first time, the concierge greeted us by name! It really impressed us, as we had not met her before. Then I figured out that they had a computer screen with our photos on the desk.

Still, it was a nice touch.

DaveOKC

There was a legendary, multilingual cruise director named Danny Leone, who had many talents. One was that he would remember passengers' names even years later.

Of course, ships were much smaller in the 1960s, 70s, 80s. Still, he was remarkable.

Sailed with Danny on SAGAFJORD. He made me a member of SAGAFJORD's Turtle Club.... and later I became a Imperial Turtle.

Danny was a real class Cruise Director. As a youngster I knew Bob Smith. He was CD of the old NIEUW AMSTERDAM... 1938to 1974. Better know as CD on the Ward Line's MORRO CASTLE.... burned and went aground of Ashbury Park. Helped many passengers to save from the fire.

You know how you get your photo taken when you get on board? Each steward gets a sheet with the name and photo of each guest in their area. They are also told if the guest is a repeat cruiser, VIP, or has complained about something in the past.

On small ships the entire passenger manifest with names and photos is circulated among crew, and each crew member is required to remember at least 10 guests names the first day and 10 more each additional day.

Really? Learn something new everyday. First I've heard this. :)

One of the first times we were Neptune passengers and when we entered the Lounge for the first time, the concierge greeted us by name! It really impressed us, as we had not met her before. Then I figured out that they had a computer screen with our photos on the desk.

Still, it was a nice touch.

DaveOKC

On Embarkation day, the concierges in Neptune Lounge check the ID photos taken as we check in. The keep referring to their screens to put faces to the names of their embarking guests. It's a very nice welcome feeling to be greeted every cruise by name the first time we enter Neptune Lounge. Of course, after a while, you start to see same concierges and that is always pleasant.

On a recent cruise I became friendly with a lovely staff member in the library area. I was telling her about a passenger who had gotten onboard with a list of things he was going to complain about, this is before the cruise started. I happened to be at the front desk one day as he was checking something off his list...why someone would start a vacation like that I don't understand.

She said she was aware of the said passenger, it seems when a passenger complains the complaint is posted with picture. Staff is then aware of his "needs". She was happy he had not appeared in her area but was on the lookout should that area was on his list.

I'm sure they all knew his name...

When I entered the Neptune Lounge last month for the first time the concierge greeted me by name. I was very surprised and asked how he knew my name. He told me when I put my key in the slot to enter the lounge , my info pops up on his computer screen from my key card. I thought that was pretty cool.

They work at it. They may have access to our security photos as a learning aid. It is pretty amazing when you consider that we all look alike.

My daughter says the same thing. When I hold a charity luncheon for 400 woman for children's hospital, it is filled with women of a certain age, with short blonde or gray hair all looking pretty darn similar.

Cruise line bar and crew staff get slide show reviews of passenger pictures on the morning of embarkation. I Am not sure if room stewards get this review as they are so busy.

This could not have happened with some guests, including me, on my last cruise -- there was a problem with at least one of the cameras at check in. And when I went to the froth desk to take a photo, it didn't work either. It was three days into the cruise before there was a picture of me connected to my cruise id. And yet, the staff still knew me by name.

Maybe as it turned out, I was the only person with a missing photo, but I don't think that was it.

When I entered the Neptune Lounge last month for the first time the concierge greeted me by name. I was very surprised and asked how he knew my name. He told me when I put my key in the slot to enter the lounge , my info pops up on his computer screen from my key card. I thought that was pretty cool.

That could work if the concierge is at his/her desk and checks the screen on Vista and Signature Class ships as they keep the doors locked.

The Neptune Lounge doors are unlocked on "S" and "R" Class ships. No key needed to enter, however, because there are so many fewer Suite guests, the concierges learn our names Very quickly.

I enjoy trying to remember THEIR names so that I can greet them and/or thank them by name whenever we encounter those who take care of us whether it is our room stewards, dining room staff, wine stewards, bar staff, cabana stewards, etc.

Not really cruise related, but those in the industry have some sort of special talent.

I've visited NY many times now, but there's 1 guy that will always have a special place in my memory. I visited the hotel about 7 months after I was there the first time and the guy at the door he remembered my name as if he knew me for years. And I had no visual displays where he could read my name. Pretty strong memory.

I work in the travel industry as well, and I must say, it's something you learn. I used to be horrible remembering names, but you kinda pick it up.

The most impressive memory for names was my JHS principal, Mr. Lilly, he apparently spent time in the summer to memorize every single students name, from school photos from our various elementary schools. This was really impressive since there was 1000 students. I got caught running done the hall in grade 7. He bellowed out "no running in the halls Sheila xxxxx!" It stopped my dead in my tracks. It was the first time I had ever seen him! Now that's a memory!

When I attended university in Pretoria, South Africa, I stayed in a residence (about 300 residents). Every time you had a meal in the dining hall or exchanged linens, one of the ladies working there would check off your student number (a six digit number, if I remember correctly). One particular lady was the main "number checker" and she learnt everyone's number but I doubt she knew any of our names! As you approached, she would call out your number. :) She would even refer to others by number: "you know, 784562".

Edited by Boytjie

In addition to room stewards with a list, the rest of the crew is well trained to glance at your key card if it is hanging around your neck.

If you have the same waiter on a regular basis, he will pick up your name from using your key card for drink orders.

The personal greetings, and knowing my preferences, is why I keep returning to HAL.

My room stewards knew my name from day one. I'm sure they memorized who was in which cabin.

The bar men and bar attendants...that's a whole 'nother story. They were calling me "Sir Cliff" from day one. I purchased the beverage card on board, and they wrote my last name on it. But once they found my first name that was it. "Sir Cliff"--I love it!

Then by day two they knew what I wanted to drink and when I wanted it. Bloody Mary in the a.m., Long Island Iced Tea in the afternoon, Stoli and Sprite Zero (no fruit) in the evenings. They had it down.

It just makes me feel really welcome and, I don't know, maybe "important" that they bother to memorize all these details about me.

It's not just the stewards, either. After Sailaway on the Zaandam last November, I was still wearing my Cruise Critic name tag when we went to the Lido. One of the servers (behind the counter) saw my name and used it -- and for the rest of the 14 days, that server called me Mrs. Elizabeth every day. In the Lido. Without any clues like being at the same table in the MDR, or same room on which deck.

I was impressed. Also with the stewards, considering how many cabins they have and changing every 7 to 14 days for most itineraries.

Along the same lines of "tricks to remember", on our last cruise our MDR steward shared that he has a formula for conversation with guests. On the first night, it is the standard introductions with names. Second night, discussion of past cruise history, third night he shares about his family and hometown, etc etc etc. That way he knows he is not asking/telling the same information more than once.

I told him I was going to use that trick in reverse on future cruises!

We travel with small children on longer cruises (not during school holidays) and tend to stand out like a sore thumb on HAL. I am always amazed when the head waiter (MDR host? What is their official title?) can recall our cabin number fast than I can! I would love to know if we had a code name such as "Bald Bob"!

First cruise with HAL in May. I was wondering if they post your name on the door of your cabin. Princess did this when we sailed years ago. It was some type of welcome aboard sign.

First cruise with HAL in May. I was wondering if they post your name on the door of your cabin. Princess did this when we sailed years ago. It was some type of welcome aboard sign.

No, HAL doesn't post names like Princess does.

I would prefer just to be treated politely rather than have the steward remember my name. I have a hard-to-pronounce first name, and my DH and I do not have the same last name, so I end up being called by a mispronounced first name or by my MIL's name for the entire cruise. That's more annoying than being called, "Hey, you!" ;)

I prefer to be welcomed in some other fashion.

If somebody is going to know where my cabin is, I want to be the one to give them the information---not have them stumble upon it themselves.

They usually ask what they call you. and if it is "Hey you" so be it! If you want to have a friendly atmosphere you can get that or if you want to be prim and proper, okay also. You call it.

I, too, wouldn't want my name on my door even for the first day.

They usually ask what they call you. and if it is "Hey you" so be it! If you want to have a friendly atmosphere you can get that or if you want to be prim and proper, okay also. You call it.

I try to call it. But I haven't had a steward yet (going on 20 cruises) who can or will call me Ms. Lastname Lastname.