Help, they rebooked our flight for today's sailing on Regal

twoblklabs

I agree that I think OP made it...Or we would have heard back from him/her
If it were me, I don't think I would have reported back either way. If I had missed the ship, I would have been too down to report and risk getting a lecture about how I should have flew in the day before. If I had made the ship, I would have been too happy to think about going online. Or I might still be trying to get to the ship at its next port and not be thinking about CC.

The OP posted on here because she was desperate. She got some information. Whether it was helpful, who knows. Next.

Edited by billco

Dear OP/twoblklabs

We were all wishing you made your cruise and, as some posts may seem unkind, we all were pulling for you.

When and if you have the opportunity to get back to us, we all would be very interested in how your day(s) went. I understand that you may not have internet service until you reach a port with free wifi or until you get home. Whichever, Please do let us know how you dealt with your changed flight time. You might have valuable information for others.

Thank you in advance for coming back.

Here's a link to another poster who wrote lots of details.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2175456

Edited by cr8tiv1

It could be the OP lucked out and got on the cruise and either was so stressed out, had to take a long rest, or else isn't going to spend for on board Internet.

But here's a question about "flight roulette," what about if your destination airport gets shut down? At least if that happens a day or two before your cruise, you still have the ability to make other plans (maybe catch a flight to another airport, rent a car and make your way to your embarkation port). There's been times that LAX has been shut down (bomb threats or other security issues, that horrible shooting a couple of years ago, earthquakes, fog and other weather conditions -- yes, we sometimes have weather here).

If you're planning to get to a southwestern US city that's on the coast between June and October, wouldn't it be smarter to go earlier than on the day of your cruise just in case of bad weather?

To my family, we like the chance to get to Miami, Seattle, or wherever a day or more ahead. The cost of a hotel room is a lot better sounding than getting stressed out trying to make the next port (which could mean another set of plane fares as well as a hotel room) and missing any of our cruise.

For our cruises out of our home port (an hour's drive), we try to be on our way by 10am (we have left even earlier) to allow for any mechanical problems with our vehicle (I guess in that case we would have the car towed to a service place near our home and then grab a taxi to the port). But we also plan vacation time for the previous day or two to get everything done and the return day will also be a vacation day. Otherwise, it's a no go for a cruise til we can. But then maybe we're risk adverse.

This thread got me thinking, we normally fly in at least the day before if not a couple of days, however on our first cruise (and the one we have probably travelled the furthest for) out of San Juan we timed it all to arrive the day of the cruise.

We flew from New Zealand (via sydney to LAX had a 10 hour stopover in LAX then flew 7 hours direct to San Juan) arriving the morning of the cruise. When I think about it now, I would never do that again but we were lucky it all worked out fine for us.

I'd much rather pay the cost of a hotel night than risk the disappointment I would feel if I missed the ship.

Even when I am boarding a cruise in FLL, which is a 40 minute flight from my home airport, I still go down a day early. I enjoy having a nice night's rest at a beachside hotel before boarding the ship.

We flew down the day of the cruise once and only once. We got out of the taxi and sprinted into the check in area. We were the last people to board and I really didn't think we would make it. Of course we were so stressed out that we vowed to never do that again.

We flew down the day of the cruise once and only once. We got out of the taxi and sprinted into the check in area. We were the last people to board and I really didn't think we would make it. Of course we were so stressed out that we vowed to never do that again.

Some lessons are learned on the boat, some lessons are learned at the dock.

We fly standby, so coming in a day early is routine. Actually, we enjoy it, as we have a nice dinner, relax, and DW accumulates award points. But things don't always work as planned.

On March 14 we arrived at the airport and were assigned seats. Only problem is, having seats assigned does no good if there is no plane. Seems the fog had rolled in and our would be plane was diverted. No problem, as we had plenty of time, but the weather didn't cooperate. As the fog worsened, we got nervous and finally agreed to rent a car and drive the 1000 or so miles. $205 for the car plus gas and a 14 hour drive. We had always said that if we missed a cruise, we'd just pass it off as an experience lost, but when the time came to actually miss a cruise, I couldn't readily do it. So, drive we did, and it really wasn't that bad after the first three hours of heavy rain and fog. Driving at night for me is a pleasure because the roads are mostly empty. My only concerns were other drivers falling asleep and the fact that I was driving a rental car, possibly poorly maintained and with (choke) bad tires. But all went well, thank God, and we arrived around 7AM near FLL. We boarded the ship at 10, something we never do, and had a very enjoyable cruise.

A good way to think of it; we all have differing levels of risk tolerance.

Tis more than risk tolerance. Some enjoy the experience of living on the wild side, taking chances, etc. I spent my career managing major programs reducing risk where ever possible. I don't need the excitement. We drive to the port the day prior and buy cruise insurance. Unlike my ex-wife, I don't need excitement in my life. Guess I'm just the guy who wears suspenders with a belt.

It's whatever works for you.

Since we are on the East coast we always fly the day of cruise for two reasons.

1) it is no more than a 90 min flight

2) there are usually flights to the destination every hour on the hour

We haven't missed one in 12 years but if we do, think of the money we have saved in hotel bills.

Mike:)

Tell that to our friends who missed the Breeze in June. They had a relatively short flight from Atlanta to Miami. The plane put down in Jacksonville due to mechanical difficulties. Delta did not send another plane to fetch them until 3pm and there was nothing available on another airline that would get them there in time. They arrived about 10 minutes after the ship left. Others on the same plane also missed their cruises.

You might start out in a city with lots of flights, but could end up anywhere if the plane has to put down.

Edited by DebJ14

Tell that to our friends who missed the Breeze in June. They had a relatively short flight from Atlanta to Miami. The plane put down in Jacksonville due to mechanical difficulties. Delta did not send another plane to fetch them until 3pm and there was nothing available on another airline that would get them there in time. They arrived about 10 minutes after the ship left. Others on the same plane also missed their cruises.

You might start out in a city with lots of flights, but could end up anywhere if the plane has to put down.

Yes and it could snow in July as well.

Like I said, do what works for you.

There are exceptions to everything.

Mike:)

Very disappointed that they never posted to update us!!!!!!

Since we're all throwing guesses out there.. I'm going to say they made it to the ship just fine and are enjoying their cruise without having purchased an internet package..

Since we're all throwing guesses out there.. I'm going to say they made it to the ship just fine and are enjoying their cruise without having purchased an internet package..

I certainly hope that is the case! :D

h i,we flew "ezair" 2 years ago from london to auckland 27 hrs changing at hong kong,landing on time 6 hrs before diamond princess sailing.i only relaxed when we took off on time from hong kong,cheers brian.ps thats what i call "cutting it fine".

EZ Air is good for price but (and it is a big BUT) they do change flights. I was going to China and they decided that I really had to fly out of Kamloops (I was living in Canada at the time) the day of the flight to Beijing. First time they changed it I explained that it would require me to take a 6am flight and then sit and wait around 6 hours before actually getting on a plane to China. I already had the Fairmont at the airport booked so going the day before and having a relaxing sleep without getting up at 4am to get the flight (I wasn't actually in Kamloops). They changed it back to the original flight. (I had checked with Air Canada to see who made the change and why, there had been no difference in the price between the flights). I checked again a month or so later and it was back to the flight the day of so another call to Princess. It was changed back, this time I asked them to put a note on the file not to change it as I was happy to have a night at Vancouver at my cost. Another check and another departure the day of. By this time I was getting really annoyed as it was now close to departure days so the person who I spoke to the last time really heard what I thought about it. No more changes but seen as how I had agreed to the original flight and there was no airline change requiring it to be made IMO they should have left it well alone.

Having said all that I have used EZ Air again and not had any issues but that one time was not a good experience.

Tis more than risk tolerance. Some enjoy the experience of living on the wild side, taking chances, etc. I spent my career managing major programs reducing risk where ever possible. I don't need the excitement. We drive to the port the day prior and buy cruise insurance. Unlike my ex-wife, I don't need excitement in my life. Guess I'm just the guy who wears suspenders with a belt.

My momma always said to never trust a man who wore a belt with suspenders because he doesn't trust himself!:D