P&O's tipping policy!

High and Dry

P&O must be happy with the present system otherwise they would make the change that the majority of passengers want. Put them on the cruise price.

David.

Yes they probably are.

They keep the headline price of the cruise down while conning passengers into paying part of their contractual staffing costs via the auto-gratuity.

Where do you get this "conning" business. The gratuity system is clearly defined in the booking conditions. If people don't read them, then you can hardly blame P&O. But don't let the truth get in the way of a good moan.

Brian

Where do you get this "conning" business. The gratuity system is clearly defined in the booking conditions. If people don't read them, then you can hardly blame P&O. But don't let the truth get in the way of a good moan.

Brian

The truth is we don't know the truth.

All we can do it evaluate what has been claimed and what is published.

P&O state clearly that 100% of the auto-gratuity is paid to the relevant staff on board. I don't doubt this.

Many here, and on other forums, claim that they have been told by those staff that if the auto-gratuity is removed then they are told and have to pay any cash gratuity received into the gratuity pool. I don't doubt this.

Often is it also claimed the payment to the pool is only required up to the auto-gratuity level.

I have asked here several times why staff would have to pay the cash into the pool. The only reason I can possibly think of is that P&O do indeed contractually underwrite the gratuity payment to staff. If anyone else can think of a better justification I'm all ears ....

If p&o top up the pot to compensate the "stiffers" then they aren't being stiffed surely.

It's a "voluntary" tip so each to their own, everyone has their own choice to make - simples

OMG! - "S" word used!:eek:

Beware, Purple Moonlight should now take you to task, as delicate sensitivities could be hurt.:eek:

Yes they probably are.

They keep the headline price of the cruise down while conning passengers into paying part of their contractual staffing costs via the auto-gratuity.

Stating P&O are conning guests is wrong.

I really don't understand why this subject generates so many comments. It really is very simple. There is an auto gratuity added to your onboard account, as stated in the booking terms that EVERYBODY agrees to. You have the option to remove them if you wish, or leave them on. What does it matter what happens after that. It is purely a matter between P&O and it's staff, and really nothing to do with passengers. People get in such a tizzy over the most unimportant things, it makes me feel that they need to get a life. Just go on the cruise and enjoy every minute.

Brian

No its not fair AND its not fair that we should have to pay tips... WHICH I flatly refuse to pay

...and proud enough of being cheap to post it online.

Doesn't tip but probably cries the loudest while on board when things aren't up to his standard.

No its not fair AND its not fair that we should have to pay tips... WHICH I flatly refuse to pay

The whole point Cruisefan2012 is YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY TIPS. we all do it by choice. if you don't want to then that is your choice.

There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.:):)

Of course they won't make it public. Everybody would then remove the auto-gratuity as you are wasting your money. A poster on the other thread claimed a officer stated it was so though.

Ask yourself this. If they do not make up the difference, why do staff have to pay any cash gratuity into the 'pool' if the passenger has removed the auto-gratuity?

I believe I read that P&O only top up to a guaranteed minimum, which is quite low but sometimes needed for the world cruises where there is apparently a lot of reduction made to passengers auto tip.

So "stiffing" the staff won't normally cost P&O anything, but it does alienate the stewards and wait staff and, according to some on this thread, they know who you are. So remember always take your toothbrush with you.

Edited by terrierjohn

The whole point Cruisefan2012 is YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY TIPS. we all do it by choice. if you don't want to then that is your choice.

This is very true, and yet some posters here feel it is their right to then throw insults at him for doing so.

I certainly know which posters I would rather share a table with at dinner are .....

This is very true, and yet some posters here feel it is their right to then throw insults at him for doing so.

I certainly know which posters I would rather share a table with at dinner are .....

Quite. It`s like politics and religion. Other things you shouldn`t discuss at the dining table are the cost of your cruise and whether or not you remove the auto tip. :D

Quite. It`s like politics and religion. Other things you shouldn`t discuss at the dining table are the cost of your cruise and whether or not you remove the auto tip. :D

Quite agree :)

Also probably not a good idea to discuss tipping policy with stewards or waiters !

Absolutely. Never a truer word spoken.

they know who you are. So remember always take your toothbrush with you.

Timing is the key to removing tips. Do it on the last night, dine away from the MD on the last night, then you get all the service and avoid the tips.

David.

I believe I read that P&O only top up to a guaranteed minimum, which is quite low but sometimes needed for the world cruises where there is apparently a lot of reduction made to passengers auto tip.

So "stiffing" the staff won't normally cost P&O anything, but it does alienate the stewards and wait staff and, according to some on this thread, they know who you are. So remember always take your toothbrush with you.

CORRECT

the staff on RCCL use to have a $50 contract that was topped up to a low minimum by RCCL if the auto tips did not reach the Minimum.

All staff had to declare there cash tips, as this was added to the individuals auto tip and if it exceeded the ship guaranty amount they got it.

this was usually done on UK and Europe cruises.

Now as P&O are USA owned it is likely that the same applies.

Costa add 7 euro a day non refundable service charge

the trouble is Brits are not used to tipping and it should be included in the cruise price, like Thomson. Nobody on there ships asks for tips to be removed or Stiffs the staff

P&O do not yet add 18% to the drinks price, or inflate the bar price or charge for room service.

so please except the gratuity charge as part of your cruising costs when you book.

j

What is this about Brits not tipping. Surely you tip a taxi driver, hairdresser, waiter at the restaurant? We sometimes remove the tips and use an envelope, or if we have got loads of OBC, we leave them on. It's a personal choice whether you tip or not.

CORRECT

the staff on RCCL use to have a $50 contract that was topped up to a low minimum by RCCL if the auto tips did not reach the Minimum.

All staff had to declare there cash tips, as this was added to the individuals auto tip and if it exceeded the ship guaranty amount they got it.

this was usually done on UK and Europe cruises.

Now as P&O are USA owned it is likely that the same applies.

Costa add 7 euro a day non refundable service charge

the trouble is Brits are not used to tipping and it should be included in the cruise price, like Thomson. Nobody on there ships asks for tips to be removed or Stiffs the staff

P&O do not yet add 18% to the drinks price, or inflate the bar price or charge for room service.

so please except the gratuity charge as part of your cruising costs when you book.

j

I think you will find that a gratuity charge is included in the price of drinks on P&O ships. The problem is that the auto gratuity is for cabin steward and waiting staff, you cannot adjust tips just for one or the other, so if you have bad waiting service and a fab cabin steward you will need to remove tips and pay accordingly. Why don't P&O do the same as rccl and give you vouchers for you to distribute accordingly after taking auto gratuity.

And if people are fed up reading about tips. Don't read them. Simples.

There are some really mean people on these forums.

As far as i'm concerned tipping is part of the cost of the cruise. It is well understood that it's expected, and if you can't afford the tip you probably can't afford the cruise.