Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Here's the contract. Please tell me where it says room service is included in the fare. It says in paragraph 3. (a) "full board and ordinary vessel food" is included in your fare, not that room service is complimentary.

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

Also read paragraph 2. It says that this contract governs the relationship between the guest and NCL, and supersedes and excludes any other representations.

EU/UK the brochures and web sites form part of the contract you can't have get out clauses in the written small print.

Package holiday regulations and consumer laws trump the contract and put restrictions on what a cruise line can change.

eg. They can't make major changes to the itinerary without offering full refunds and compensation.

So *my* understanding is that the food itself is free, but you pay the 4.95$ or 7.95$ as a delivery charge... meaning that it would cost you 7.95$ whether you ordered just one coffee or ordered 50 coffees, right? I mean you'd pay the 7.95$ for no matter what amount of stuff you order.

Perhaps they need a collect yourself for free option.

The food is free, the actual delivery of the food to your cabin is not, that what the 'convenience' charge of $7.95 is - delivery / service charge fee. Dunno how many ways anyone can phrase it.

(not directed at you shapatack0, I know you explained it already)

If you have to pay for delivery it's not free.

Thanks I'll do the same, I think UK trading standards might protect us a little better this side of the Atlantic!

I think the problem with trading standards is no one office will take up a case as it is not "their" area, I think they need a central office for more global stuff like holidays.

(might have a wander into my local one for a chat)

Conveneiently cruises come under european package holiday regulations which overide the cruise contracts the cruise lines try to impose. so things like brochures web sites, form part of the contract and stuff like fuel surcharges and itinerary changes are controled.

Recently a customer won a case againist TUI(Thomson) on cruise cancelation fees that were in the contract but not legal.

I am among the few (?) that have always found it strange and not "normal" that room service on cruise ships was free of charge. So I have actually no problems with the fact that they (NCL) now want to charge a small for the extra service ($7,95 is NOT a small fee). But I must admit that to go from $0,00 to $7,95 in an instant, doesn't sound right. That is a huge price increase, in my opinion, and I will just avoid using room service if this will be implemented across the fleet at a later time. I never used room service on board much anyway.

For the moment they are just testing it on the Breakaway and the Getaway, and they even have different charges on the two ships ($7,95 on the Breakaway and $4,95 on the Getaway). Hopefully, after the test period, the conclusion based on guests reactions will be that $7,95 is too high. We will just have to wait and see....

I've had more incorrect room service orders over the years than correct orders. Imagine paying $8.00 for such a privilege!:eek:

I sense my long relationship with NCL is coming to a close with my cruise in April. I don't begrudge any one trying to make a profit. I do take offense how these changes have been handled by the new management. There are lots of holiday options NCL. I will vote with my wallet.

I never said that there have not been changes over the years. Yes there have been changes and they have occurred on every cruise line. The examples you gave of changes are not fee based. These are cost saving measures and while they may be disappointing they do not require me to reach into my pocket and pay for them. As an example they eliminated lobster night they did not start charging a fee for it. I do not cruise exclusively with NCL but I can tell you that no other line have I cruised has ever made so many changes in such a short period of time that all revolve around getting more money out of the cruiser.

Most of these changes have been made under the guise of benefiting the crew and I call BS on that. Back in the day when envelopes were given out and amounts were recommended this was for tips to the waiter, assistant waiter, maitre d' and the cabin steward. Along comes freestyle cruising and the DSC is implemented so that the restaurant staff would not lose out with all the moving around. Most people were okay with this and I assume the majority of people were paying because before you know it the DSC now includes just about every low level employee on the ship. Who paid the cleaners and the laundry personnel before the DSC? The company tries to twist this around any way they can so people will believe that that DSC is not tips anymore but rather an incentive program for which the cruise line has all the discretion. Happy are they that a large portion of the cruising population will go along with this and "tip" again.

At the beginning of the month NCL increases the DSC and before you can bat an eye they are supposedly removing folks from the pool. Those people who serve you can now be paid by an automatic 18% gratuity, regardless of service provided and suddenly are not included in the DSC. This news only comes about after many accuse them of double dipping. Specialty waiters are gone. Pizza delivery guy is gone. Coffee shop staff are gone. And today I guess the room service staff are out of the pool as well. The company couldn't be collecting a service fee twice for the same employee. That too would be double dipping.

They try to say the changes are for our convenience but we all know that is BS. It is not for our convenience nor is it for the convenience of their employees. These changes are put in place because it benefits their bottom line. Spin it any way you like but that is the truth.

Some think there could and should be a mass exodus of passengers from NCL. I don't think this will happen any time soon. I think the vast majority of people who cruise NCL like to know they are getting good value for their money regardless of which category cabin they are in. And with the promotions going on since mid December it appears they have. Many have booked multiple cruises in order to get in on the great deals currently available, including myself. This massive giveaway cannot sustain itself. Cruise lines make their profit from on board spending. Fast forward a little into the future when the effects of all these giveaways can be felt. What happens when that per person dollar spend goes down? NCL might hope that people will think they have saved so much on this or that so they are inclined to spend more in other areas. I'm sure there are some who think that way but just as likely that people will take the opportunity to spend less if they can. It's those folks that NCL needs to worry about. Too many of those folks and it will be extremely difficult for the cruise line to turn a profit. They will be forced to raise their base fare. With giveaway promotions long gone and the average consumer doing a little comparison shopping for their next cruise, that consumer might find that all the extra nickle and diming that is being implemented right now makes the competitor all that more attractive down the road.

A new ship on the way and more in the works means more berths to fill. I would think that alienating your customer base is not the best course of action when you are wanting to fill all those spots. What will they come up with then?

Just the way I see it...you can disagree.

Rochelle

Agree to all you just said!

I never said that there have not been changes over the years. Yes there have been changes and they have occurred on every cruise line. The examples you gave of changes are not fee based. These are cost saving measures and while they may be disappointing they do not require me to reach into my pocket and pay for them. As an example they eliminated lobster night they did not start charging a fee for it. I do not cruise exclusively with NCL but I can tell you that no other line have I cruised has ever made so many changes in such a short period of time that all revolve around getting more money out of the cruiser.

Most of these changes have been made under the guise of benefiting the crew and I call BS on that. Back in the day when envelopes were given out and amounts were recommended this was for tips to the waiter, assistant waiter, maitre d' and the cabin steward. Along comes freestyle cruising and the DSC is implemented so that the restaurant staff would not lose out with all the moving around. Most people were okay with this and I assume the majority of people were paying because before you know it the DSC now includes just about every low level employee on the ship. Who paid the cleaners and the laundry personnel before the DSC? The company tries to twist this around any way they can so people will believe that that DSC is not tips anymore but rather an incentive program for which the cruise line has all the discretion. Happy are they that a large portion of the cruising population will go along with this and "tip" again.

At the beginning of the month NCL increases the DSC and before you can bat an eye they are supposedly removing folks from the pool. Those people who serve you can now be paid by an automatic 18% gratuity, regardless of service provided and suddenly are not included in the DSC. This news only comes about after many accuse them of double dipping. Specialty waiters are gone. Pizza delivery guy is gone. Coffee shop staff are gone. And today I guess the room service staff are out of the pool as well. The company couldn't be collecting a service fee twice for the same employee. That too would be double dipping.

They try to say the changes are for our convenience but we all know that is BS. It is not for our convenience nor is it for the convenience of their employees. These changes are put in place because it benefits their bottom line. Spin it any way you like but that is the truth.

Some think there could and should be a mass exodus of passengers from NCL. I don't think this will happen any time soon. I think the vast majority of people who cruise NCL like to know they are getting good value for their money regardless of which category cabin they are in. And with the promotions going on since mid December it appears they have. Many have booked multiple cruises in order to get in on the great deals currently available, including myself. This massive giveaway cannot sustain itself. Cruise lines make their profit from on board spending. Fast forward a little into the future when the effects of all these giveaways can be felt. What happens when that per person dollar spend goes down? NCL might hope that people will think they have saved so much on this or that so they are inclined to spend more in other areas. I'm sure there are some who think that way but just as likely that people will take the opportunity to spend less if they can. It's those folks that NCL needs to worry about. Too many of those folks and it will be extremely difficult for the cruise line to turn a profit. They will be forced to raise their base fare. With giveaway promotions long gone and the average consumer doing a little comparison shopping for their next cruise, that consumer might find that all the extra nickle and diming that is being implemented right now makes the competitor all that more attractive down the road.

A new ship on the way and more in the works means more berths to fill. I would think that alienating your customer base is not the best course of action when you are wanting to fill all those spots. What will they come up with then?

Just the way I see it...you can disagree.

Rochelle

Very well said!:D

Last week's Breakaway 24 Hours Room Service menu items were very short -

Let's see, if DW & I really must do it, we will skim off some of our OBC to offset it & order enough to make it worth saving us a trip - RS will do what they do at the 5 stars hotel we sometimes stayed at on land, bring that in a cart, white tablecloth draped over - with all the "works" and not in a plastic cafeteria tray for an "upscale" room service presentation :D :rolleyes:

2 soups, 2 salads, 2 plates of fruit, 2 sandwiches, finger food, cookies, ice cream + pound cake, ice tea & coffee, plus milk ... just about right for 2 adults, how's that for a $7.95 convenience ? :p :D

You may be among many who if they have to pay a delivery charge will order way more then previously

to make it worth it . Lets see then if it becomes the revenue generator that NCL believes it can be . :rolleyes:

I am among the few (?) that have always found it strange and not "normal" that room service on cruise ships was free of charge. So I have actually no problems with the fact that they (NCL) now want to charge a small for the extra service ($7,95 is NOT a small fee). But I must admit that to go from $0,00 to $7,95 in an instant, doesn't sound right. That is a huge price increase, in my opinion, and I will just avoid using room service if this will be implemented across the fleet at a later time. I never used room service on board much anyway.

For the moment they are just testing it on the Breakaway and the Getaway, and they even have different charges on the two ships ($7,95 on the Breakaway and $4,95 on the Getaway). Hopefully, after the test period, the conclusion based on guests reactions will be that $7,95 is too high. We will just have to wait and see....

So you saying they should have started with , lets say a 2 buck charge, and then

yanked it up some time later ? I'm surprised they didn't go that cynical way myself.

[quote name='TavelRN']Does anyone have a legible copy of the new menu? This post is now 77 pages long. It would take me an hour or so to look through everything. Thanks.[/quote]

No one has posted one in this thread yet.

[quote name='Uniall']If I were aboard ship when the surcharge began or if the surcharge went into effect after last day to cancel the cruise without penalty, I would notify the On Board Service Desk in writting that I do not authorize charging my credit card for the room service surcharge. I believe I would be on solid ground based upon the above NCL website info.

While less strong, I think the same case can be made for bookings made before the change, regardless of cruise date.

I would contest any attempt to charge the my credit card.

I'd do it all in writting, including a notest of contest on the room service delivery receipt and on the final On Board statement of account.[/quote]

Read the fine print of your cruise contract.

I hope NCL reps are paying attention here. You have already increased the daily gratuity and now w/o notice you add a fee for a service that has been free on every mass market cruise line and its high. Add to that the 15% gratuity to the server and say for a burger and two drinks it's like an $11.00 tip! :mad: We seldom use RS but to be sure we won't now.

As I predicted earlier, I thought this 'trial' was only to decide on what price to charge for room service.....$4.95 or $7.95. Then it would be implemented on all their ships.

Here's a link to the Gem.

[url]https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/gem/whats-on-board/Dining[/url]

This is what it says in regard to room service:

Room Service

If you can't come to the restaurant we'll bring the restaurant to you. We offer a menu of items, which can be prepared and brought to your stateroom. Room Service is available 24-hours a day ([B][COLOR="Black"]subject to convenience charge[/COLOR][/B]).

They already have it on their web for individual ships....well, at least this one, the Gem, that I checked.

Harriet

[quote name='softsands']Read the fine print of your cruise contract.[/QUOTE]

Say what?
I have won every contest of charges I ever made, all but one, while still aboard the ship by submiting written notice of no authorization to charge. Edited by Uniall

[quote name='hpecorari']As I predicted earlier, I thought this 'trial' was only to decide on what price to charge for room service.....$4.95 or $7.95. Then it would be implemented on all their ships.

Here's a link to the Gem.

[url]https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/gem/whats-on-board/Dining[/url]

This is what it says in regard to room service:

Room Service

If you can't come to the restaurant we'll bring the restaurant to you. We offer a menu of items, which can be prepared and brought to your stateroom. Room Service is available 24-hours a day ([B][COLOR="Black"]subject to convenience charge[/COLOR][/B]).

They already have it on their web for individual ships....well, at least this one, the Gem, that I checked.

Harriet[/QUOTE]

Yep we all saw that coming. Two days into the 'trial' and some decisions have already been made.

Rochelle

[quote name='motleyfan']Not true I had a friend whose cabin was booked before the no smoking policy changed and he was a mere few weeks away from his cruise and could not cancel[/quote]

The policy was changed with ample notice so as to allow people to change their plans before final payment date. Someone could have booked before the policy was [I]implemented[/I], but the revised policy was known with a start date. If someone valued smoking on a balcony very highly, but booked after the policy was announced, and booked within final payment period, there really is nothing more to say. It is not as if NCL banned balcony smoking "as a test" on a few ships without any prior notification to booked passengers, which is what they did with this room service charge.

As I suggested earlier, if you want a thread to complain about the smoking policy, make that thread. This is a thread about room service charges and you are being deliberately off topic. If you truly don't care about the room service charge I don't understand why you keep posting here. The reduction or removal of an advertised amenity without any notice is a detriment to all guests, whether they believe they are impacted or not. It sets the precedent that the company can start charging for and / or remove any promised benefit, at any time, without any notice at all.

[quote name='mitsugirly']Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced blah blah blah ([B]Room Service orders placed by guests sailing in Suites and The Haven will not attract a charge)*[/B]. blah blah blah

[COLOR=red]*Prices subject to change.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]giggle...I just knew there was a catch to that as well. They are covering all their bases and for those suites and haven guest...you might want to consider THIS your pre-warning since everyone else didn't get one. :rolleyes: At least this will be considered as a warning. :([/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/quote]

This isn't to be nit-picky, but the placement of the asterisk is important. If they had stuck it in BEFORE the parentheses, it would be clear that the note referred to the "test" on BA/GA (and perhaps to the rest of the fleet), but that ALL suites (not just Havens) won't be charged. With the asterisk coming AFTER the parentheses, you simply do not know.

But since NCL clearly has no problem altering the rules of the game, and not informing passengers until they board, pick up their first daily, and start hunting for fine print, why do they even bother with the blasted asterisk?!

[quote name='sundercruiser']This isn't to be nit-picky, but the placement of the asterisk is important. If they had stuck it in BEFORE the parentheses, it would be clear that the note referred to the "test" on BA/GA (and perhaps to the rest of the fleet), but that ALL suites (not just Havens) won't be charged. With the asterisk coming AFTER the parentheses, you simply do not know.

But since NCL clearly has no problem altering the rules of the game, and not informing passengers until they board, pick up their first daily, and start hunting for fine print, why do they even bother with the blasted asterisk?![/QUOTE]

That's nice, but NCL has dutifully demonstrated their incredible inability to properly string a sentence together. Remember that in the same sentence, NCL stated that the complimentary room service menu will have a convenience fee.

Apologize in advance for the excessive alliteration...

[quote name='DrNora']Thanks, lrgpizza!
Th e "sweeties" and "honey" are so condescending and wrong.

Yuck city USA.[/quote]

Yes, seriously wrong.

And I call BS on his, well, BS about how he was using voice-to-text. Subsequent posts used the text shorthand "idk" (standing for "I don't know). I really doubt he said "Eye Dee Kay" at that point!

[quote name='triptolemus']That's nice, but NCL has dutifully demonstrated their incredible inability to properly string a sentence together. Remember that in the same sentence, NCL stated that the complimentary room service menu will have a convenience fee.

Apologize in advance for the excessive alliteration...[/quote]

Well, since we're all embroiled in an imbroglio, apology accepted. :)