Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Thank you for your rapid reply with new information.

It's most appreciated but may not resolve the problem

You directed me to the FAQ which now says:

(Room Service orders placed by guests sailing in Suites and The Haven will not attract a charge) *. ...

*Prices subject to change.

This is a new FAQ which was not there yesterday.

Here is what was and still is found on the NCL Website (Official Offer of Goods & Services) yesterday and continues today:

"The following items are not included in the cruise fare:.....

Pizza Delivery

Convenience Charge for Room Service on non-Haven Suites"

http://www.ncl.com/faq/cruise-fare-includes

The official offer of goods and services by Sales Department takes prescedence over FAQ which is changed by the Public Relations Department.

I seems like NCL HQ's left hand does not know what the right hand is doing and they are in panic mode trying to contain a monumental PR blunder.

John, You are stating facts not in evidence..NCL is NOT in panic mode.

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

It's my opinion that FDR is sinking this brand in order to rebrand it in the image that he is accustomed to, even if he sank that brand too. BRING BACK THE SHEEHAN ...

Hear, hear

We "saw" him again on the Breakaway ... in the ship-builders video "piped" into all staterooms, I forgot which TV channel and of course, "proudly displayed" on the walls near the AFT elevators/staircase on the wall - here too.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150328_1331.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Hear, hear

We "saw" him again on the Breakaway

... in the ship-builders video "piped" into all staterooms, I forgot which TV channel and of course, "proudly displayed" on the walls near the AFT elevators/staircase on the wall - here too.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150328_1331.jpg

Who are those pictures of?

Jancruz1

Today when I called to change the code on my cruise to reflect our choice of the ultimate drink package I asked the customer service rep about the room service charge and she stated it was tried on a couple of ships and it would not be continuing....take this with a grain of salt as who knows what each rep knows about policy!

Maybe they have changed their minds about rolling this out on all ships....I can see the late night-cost but not any room service charge like breakfast etc.

To me it just smacks of the same gross incompetence that NCL has displayed throughout the development of this issue.

Del Rio seems to be running an autocracy. When he took over at NCLH, it was reported that he eliminated the management by committee consensus that was in place during Sheehan's tenure. While I spent all too many hours of my corporate life in committee meetings that often unnecessarily dragged out the decision making process and sometimes designed the proverbial camel instead of the desired horse, I believe that style of management carries a lower risk of producing a result that's totally out of touch with a company's customers than an autocracy.

I don't particularly have a problem with how the decision are made but too often there is no proper planing of implementation and people wont speak up for fear of there jobs. Often there is quick pass the job on, I wonder what the brief looked like as it landed on the two Hotel directors desks?

Things like this simple change have a massive impact on web, brochures, internationally and contractual relationships with customers. Crew training, shoreside training, menus, provisions dailies. There is a lot of work that needs doing but far too often it appears to be rushed and make it up as you go.

Given the reports from the previous and first trial there was poor planning and rushed.

The lack of some basic stuff still complimentary if done by design is worse than that of a fool that just got it wrong, both senario to not give much hope moving forward.

In my previous jobs i went through various rebranding load of money spent on coming up with new logos etc, new marketing materials etc. No one gets told so still buying stationary stock that will be thrown out and no budgets to replace as it always got forgotten. Then the web team ask for the various images,they have been forgotten as well.

To me it just smacks of the same gross incompetence that NCL has displayed throughout the development of this issue.

Del Rio seems to be running an autocracy. When he took over at NCLH, it was reported that he eliminated the management by committee consensus that was in place during Sheehan's tenure. While I spent all too many hours of my corporate life in committee meetings that often unnecessarily dragged out the decision making process and sometimes designed the proverbial camel instead of the desired horse, I believe that style of management carries a lower risk of producing a result that's totally out of touch with a company's customers than an autocracy.

I whole heartedly agree with those opinions and observations.

Are you kidding? I looked up a Disney cruise they are outrageously expensive.

Nope, not kidding at all.

My point was that people will begin opting for a cruise that includes everything in the advertised price over a cruise with lots of hidden/surprise extra costs. (And since drinking appears to be big with you so I'm sure it'll be your first argument, I am aware alcohol is not included in DCL fare, however it is allowed to be carried on with no limit, which makes it a known cost).

Budgeting for a known cost - even a known cost that's higher - is much easier than budgeting for an unknown cost.

And when one sees the price tag, decides it can be budgeted, makes their payments, and completes a cruise without huge onboard bill, they are left feeling satisfied rather than ripped off.

I've taken several cruises - DCL, RCCL, CXL, CCL - and so far my highest degree of satisfaction has been with DCL (Fantasy, Dream & Magic) while my highest price was with RCCL (Allure of the Seas). Good base prices can be found on all lines. The difference comes with inclusions vs. add-ons.

My September cruise will be my first with NCL and I have yet to pin down what my final cost is going to be with all these new add-ons, which already has me rethinking it as I prefer to pay for my vacations *before* I take them.

Edited by Wendy&Grumpy

Wendy or Grumpy said it made DCL look better. (S)he didn't say DCL looked good.

Exactly.

Some won't pay DCL prices no matter what, but some will choose paying a higher (known) price over the unknown onboard bill/added expenses *after* their cruise.

Sure it's panic mode when a major roll out of a BIG new cost is added that is not mentioned on the website, is uknown to Res Department, with no announcement by PR department, where the crew of the trial run don't know about it, and once it became public in board emails of guests there is a hasty press conference called and multiple conflicting changes are made to different sections of the webisite that still aren't in sync. To me that's panic mode.

Actually I'm being very kind. There are all sorts of military expressions to cover the situation but can't be written on CC. (e.g. ___Fire Drill, Cluster _____, SNAFU, etc.)

I have come right out and called it a SNAFU on CC. Possibly a million pages back on this thread. Oops. Lol.

NJ

It's possible you are correct and Chef Denton will serve us lobster from Cagney's as a special request. He and I hit it off very well. But, I know the MDR had it on it's menu on all 3 legs of our B2b just 6 months ago and he said he'd have it this coming Oct.

John

I was on one of those legs of your B2B2B aboard the Sun. Lobster was not listed on a single MDR menu for our sailing. Yes lobster is available onboard NCL ships, but for an extra charge.

I'm curious to see the press conference. Anyone have a link to it?

It was a semi private internet (skype?) briefing of travel agents by Andy Stuart. It was reported way way back in the thread. I got the impression that it couldn't be shared with the public since it was off the record. But the poster seem to infer it raised more questions than answers.

If the poster is out there, will you please chime in?

I was on one of those legs of your B2B2B aboard the Sun. Lobster was not listed on a single MDR menu for our sailing. Yes lobster is available onboard NCL ships, but for an extra charge.

Chef Denton served Surf 'n Turf the first dress up (now photo) night in the main Dining room on the15 day LA to Miami leg. And again, later in the voyage. I remember it well because we'd been looking forward to lamb and we ordered the surf 'n turf since he had to throw out all the lamb because it was too tough.

Edited by Uniall

Chef Denton served Surf 'n Turf the first dress up (now photo) night in the main Dining room on the15 day LA to Miami leg. And again, later in the voyage. I remember it well because we'd been looking forward to lamb and we ordered the surf 'n turf since he had to throw out all the lamb because it was too tough.

My last cruise on NCL was April-May 2014, they definitely served it back then. I read that this was changed mid 2014 and I am sure we will be able to tell on this coming cruise for sure. I don't mind either way because i am allergic to shellfish but i i can see why it upsets some people.

Edited by qtaromar1970

Hi All

I'm going to have to go dark for a while, since I leave for OZ in 2 days for 5 days in Sydney before our 27 day cruise on RCI Radiance of Seas from Sydney to Vancuover. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the 3 1/2 hours of free drinks and hors 'dourves in the private Concierge Lounge every day ............. LOL

I may check back in here for one last post when you hit page 100.

"Until that time, Eustis, until that time"

Great line from Jackie Gleason to Steve McQueen in "Soldier In The Rain"

John

Really? Still with the lobster? It's not like a lobster is even that good or for that matter remotely decently tasting

Really?

Couldn't we all respond to you with "Still with the smoking? It's not like smoking is even that good or for that matter remotely decent tasting."

Are you ever going to learn that your opinions and feelings aren't the only ones that count?

Exactly ! Some people feel that if they don't value something , it can't possibly be worth caring about .

Having said that, I've never understood why people care about those itsy bitsy frozen lobster tails .

I do however recognize that they do care about them .

Edited by richstowe

My last cruise on NCL was April-May 2014, they definitely served it back then. I read that this was changed mid 2014 and I am sure we will be able to tell on this coming cruise for sure. I don't mind either way because i am allergic to shellfish but i i can see why it upsets some people.
I believe the reports of no lobster in the MDR came in August of last year. There was no lobster on my November cruise on the Pearl, except for seafood pasta in the buffet that included some lobster. Edited by NLH Arizona

Exactly ! Some people feel that if they don't value something , it can't possibly be worth caring about .

Having said that, I've never understood why people care about those itsy bitsy frozen lobster tails .

I do however recognize that they do care about them .

Its call "What's important /valuable to you isn't important / valuable to me and vice versa..".

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk