Freestyle Cruising slogan changed to Feestyle Cruising

Da-Painter

Please add an additional $7.95 S&H to deliver to your door.

... and if you ACT now, you can get a second shirt for FREE (just pay an additional convenience fee of $7.95 to cover delivery).

No we didn't. All of these changes came after our final payment for next week's cruise on the Breakaway. The most concerning one is the fee for room service. All the other changes were increases in already existing charges--unpleasant to have so many at once but sometimes that happens.

At the time when all of us paid for Breakaway's cruise that starts on Sunday, part of the "what's included in my cruise fare?" brochure section specifically enumerated complementary room service between the hours of five am and midnight. This week, without notice they removed this complementary service and imposed a $7.95 fee for each and every room service order.

Because NCL now has a fee for a service they stated was free, all bets are off.

I can't book with them at this point for future cruises because I do not know what fees they will impose for items that I was told I had already paid for. For my cruise that starts in five days, I was lied to and not given a choice.

Well said! Very disappointing to have a brochure (and .pdf about meals) say that room service between 5AM and midnight is complimentary, and have this confirmed as late as March 31st by NCL reservations agent (who apparently did not know), buy cruise tickets, and then have NCL use "bait and switch" to contradict their own publicized complimentary room service information.

After cruising often with other companies (none of which do this), we thought we would try NCL. Too late to cancel, but feeling ripped off.

If you cannot trust the brochure, web site, and NCL reservations agents, how can you be expected to cruise with them in the future?

• 2 weeks later...

Im about to cancel my cruise for this reason. Luckily im within my window of cancelations with a penalty.

The article said "up to" $7.95 charge, has anyone experiences this charge yet? Has it been right at $7.95 or are they at least being reasonable by only charging a buck or two?

Well said! Very disappointing to have a brochure (and .pdf about meals) say that room service between 5AM and midnight is complimentary, and have this confirmed as late as March 31st by NCL reservations agent (who apparently did not know), buy cruise tickets, and then have NCL use "bait and switch" to contradict their own publicized complimentary room service information.

After cruising often with other companies (none of which do this), we thought we would try NCL. Too late to cancel, but feeling ripped off.

If you cannot trust the brochure, web site, and NCL reservations agents, how can you be expected to cruise with them in the future?

Id complain immediately to the corporate HQ, if that does not resolve the issue, then complain to the chief pursers office (i think they are called customer service now)... Im about to make that phone call myself and let you know how I did.

My first cruise with NCL was in 2009 cappuccinos were included then they were taken away but you could get them for a fee. You could buy a cologne in the gift shop and if you were gold or platinum you would get a 10% discount that was taken away now you have to buy something with a logo to get that discounts. hand lotions were available in balcony staterooms then they were taken away now only available suites and above. There was 15% gratuity fee ( discretionary) but now is 18% no matter what. You could pay your service charges with your on board credit but that was eliminated too. The service charge is now 12.95 per person and 14.95 per person in suites, went up from 12.00. The complimentary room service is not so complimentary on 2 ships ( tryout). The alcohol fees have gone up. I am sure i am missing other fees that i am not aware of. It certainly feels like is becoming the feestyle cruising:eek::rolleyes::). I am sure for some of you who have cruised other cruise lines you will find differences as well if not then you are lucky :D

P.S oh i forgot about the luggage tags those are gone too :-(

Edited by qtaromar1970

I remember when these exact same comments were made previously (when NCL introduced a dsc instead of tip envelopes at the end of the cruise).

We'll survive or we'll pick a different way to vacation. It's all good

(topic change-this is nothing like the uproar on Social Media when NCL quit giving a glass of Champagne to everyone upon boarding)

Edited by mbisson

)

Many years ago on another cruise line, I complained at the guest services about the huge differences between what was portrayed in their brochures and ads (this was before internet sites) and what was the reality on board their ship.

The woman at the desk looked down her nose at me and snootily said, "For you to believe what is in the brochure and ads to actually be what occurs on board ship is incredible naive of you."

The line went bankrupt several years after that. I wonder why?:rolleyes:

Id complain immediately to the corporate HQ, if that does not resolve the issue, then complain to the chief pursers office (i think they are called customer service now)... Im about to make that phone call myself and let you know how I did.

Thank you for your suggestion. Actually, that is the first thing I did. It took some trouble to get through to the Corporate Offices, but I talked with "someone in the executive office." She was not sympathetic at all. Her first reply was that the conditions are always subject to change (stated in the "fine print," that nobody reads, of course -- and in this case, were mis-stated in the information I was provided orally and online). She also would not let me talk with anyone else in her office (like her superior), was clearly a "gatekeeper," and for someone supposed to deal with customer relations, she was the opposite of what consumers expect.

She would also not confirm that this is a test market on two ships (which a reservations supervisor had just told me).

So unless there is strong negative feedback, these charges will continue, and be expanded to other NCL ships.

Whether this happens or is retracted is up to us.

You think so, huh?

That "vote with your wallet" crap sure sounds good in theory but it practice...not so much.

The majority who say they are going to walk, won't. Where are they going to go, because most of the cruise lines are the same. Here is a quote from a review from a 1st timer on Celebrity: It was our first cruise and overall we had a great time. The ship is beautiful and food was great. The constant nickling and diming was so annoying and we joked that we wished there was a "do not disturb" add on we could purchase.

The majority who say they are going to walk, won't. Where are they going to go, because most of the cruise lines are the same. [/b][/i].

Well I cruised with Thomson , just the once !!!!!!!! they completely changed our ship by swapping it for another lesser ship !!!!!!!! oh and an itinerary change too,

I battled with them for months as this was so be a special 40th birthday cruise I got no where with compensation not even a bottle of bubbly .

Ive now taken my money else where Ive never booked another cruise with Thomson.

And unless my upcoming NCL cruise is fantastic it will be my last with them too

With the addition of all the new fee's, NCL will soon be changing their slogan from "Freestyle Cruising" to "Feestyle Cruising!

Well, it is more appropriate. :rolleyes:

why don't you just price the cost of a competitive cruise line, based on a similar itinerary and cruise date; regardless of add on charges etc. see what the bottom line is. It doesn't make much difference if you have the charges alll up front or they are added at the end, the final price is the same. The only difference, other than the extra 95 cents per day, the NCL charges are optional. No one has to have room service (which as far as we know have not been put into place) no one has to eat in the specialty dining rooms and no one has to order drinks and pay 18% gratuitiy. We just got off a 10 day Pearl cruisel we try to keep out daitly expendatures to under $100.00 per day or close. Last April we did a 10 day cruise, our account at the end of the cruise was just about $1000.00. the cruise we just took $951.00. this includes a couple specialty dinners, the 6 pk wine package and some other drinks here and there and one excursion.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Well I cruised with Thomson , just the once !!!!!!!! they completely changed our ship by swapping it for another lesser ship !!!!!!!! oh and an itinerary change too,

I battled with them for months as this was so be a special 40th birthday cruise I got no where with compensation not even a bottle of bubbly .

Ive now taken my money else where Ive never booked another cruise with Thomson.

And unless my upcoming NCL cruise is fantastic it will be my last with them too

I'm sorry, but we are not talking about Thomson, we are talking about those "loyal" NCL customers who are saying they won't cruise NCL again, because of the changes. Sorry you didn't get the compensation you wanted and I hope your NCL cruise is much better.

I'm sorry, but we are not talking about Thomson, we are talking about those "loyal" NCL customers who are saying they won't cruise NCL again, because of the changes. Sorry you didn't get the compensation you wanted and I hope your NCL cruise is much better.

Agreed.............plus TAKEAWAYS from NCL loyal customers is going to hurt them. Just Read these boards and what about the important lurkers who will not post their true feelings.

Agreed.............plus TAKEAWAYS from NCL loyal customers is going to hurt them. Just Read these boards and what about the important lurkers who will not post their true feelings.
That is yet to be determined. Just as I don't think many of the "I'll go elsewhere, because of the changes" will happen, I personally don't think NCL will be swamped with cancellations because of these changes from lurkers.

Now you are assuming what some people are not saying? Get real. The complaints are limited to a small minority on these boards which probably equates to an even smaller percentage of the cruising public.

Now you are assuming what some people are not saying? Get real. The complaints are limited to a small minority on these boards which probably equates to an even smaller percentage of the cruising public.

yep, let's face it: like these chaanges or not and most of us are not jumping with joy, very few people will stop cruising a line because of the small changes. A lot of people will say they are going to jump ship (no pun intended) but few really will and those who were probably about to do so anyway. Our granddaughter and her hubby did an RCI cruise last fall. they couldn't wait to get back to NCL, Why? all the nickel and diming on RCI. Was there really more, who knows? Truth be told, they are NCI lovers and would have found fault with any other line I am sure.

you have completely missed the point of what my comment was about , My comment was to a poster who has posted this

The majority who say they are going to walk, won't. Where are they going to go, because most of the cruise lines are the same.

I was making the point that Thomson had not treated us fairly so I have decided not to book with them again , and that I am angry with NCL and the changes to the cruise I already have booked , I am quite prepared to walk from NCL too

you have completely missed the point of what my comment was about , My comment was to a poster who has posted this

The majority who say they are going to walk, won't. Where are they going to go, because most of the cruise lines are the same.

I was making the point that Thomson had not treated us fairly so I have decided not to book with them again , and that I am angry with NCL and the changes to the cruise I already have booked , I am quite prepared to walk from NCL too

I didn't miss the point, I'm the poster who said: The majority who say they are going to walk, won't. Where are they going to go, because most of the cruise lines are the same.

One thing you have to realize is that most of the changes are for items that you "choose" to use, you are not forced to. You don't have to eat in the specialty restaurants, thus not incurring the 18 percent gratuity. You don't have to order anything from the room service menu, sans, the coffee and Danish, and you won't incurred any costs from that. You don't have to purchase a drink, thus you won't incur the 18 percent gratuity. And if you are so inclined, you can reduce or remove the DSC and you don't even have to pay that.

My point was that every cruise line is the same, they all have changes that their "loyal" customers don't like, they all increase their fees, the all do things that everyone isn't in agreement with....in other words, all cruise lines do things that everyone doesn't like.

Seems like you have your mind made up not to cruise with NCL after this cruise and I hope you find a cruise line that fits your needs.

Some of you need to study human nature a little more diligently.

When people feel they are or were mistreated by a company, they will look elsewhere regardless of the price.

Most will not complain to the company, they will simply disappear.

Time will tell if NCL's recent actions have caused some of their customers to do this.