Tahiti and French Polynesia cruise

Misty Blue 528

Does anyone know if Pacific Princess, or any other cruise line, does a cruise from Tahiti, visits French Polynesia Islands, and returns to Tahiti.........IN THE SPRING?

I am told that their schedule for 2016 is not out yet. I just want to know if any cruise ship does do this cruise in April or May.

Thank you,

MB

The Paul Gauguin is based in Tahiti.

The Ocean Princess and Pacific Princess have done some cruises there in the past. When first acquired, the Ocean Princess (then the Tahitian Princess) was based in Tahiti for about 5 years. The Ocean Princess will do a cruise around South America in January 2016 and then be urned over to her new owners, Oceania Cruises.

I believe the Pacific Princess is doing a world cruise next winter. So neither ship will be in French Polynesia March to May 2016

The Paul Gauguin is based in Tahiti.

The Ocean Princess and Pacific Princess have done some cruises there in the past. When first acquired, the Ocean Princess (then the Tahitian Princess) was based in Tahiti for about 5 years. The Ocean Princess will do a cruise around South America in January 2016 and then be urned over to her new owners, Oceania Cruises.

I believe the Pacific Princess is doing a world cruise next winter. So neither ship will be in French Polynesia March to May 2016

Paul or others, would you like to speculate what ship Princess might use in Tahiti when the small ships are no longer around?

The Crown Princess will be doing a 28 day r/t LA cruise in October with stops in 4 Hawaiian Islands, American Samoa, Western Samoa, Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora.

The betting is that the Island and the Coral will take over the general itineraries currently done by the Ocean and the Pacific.

Paul or others, would you like to speculate what ship Princess might use in Tahiti when the small ships are no longer around?

I fear they might abandon the French Polynesia itineraries because, except for Tahiti, Bora Bora and Moorea, those islands are ill equipped to handle even the Sun and Island Class ships. They simply lack the tourist infrastructure to handle that many passengers at one time, not to mention that the tendering (for all except Tahiti and Raiatea) would be cumbersome.

I would not be surprised if post-Pacific Princess they limited French Polynesia stops to cruises going North America to HI thru the South Pacific on to New Zealand and Australia and then the reverse.

Which means PG and/or Windstar could possibly raise their rates at times if they are left to serve the former Princess demand. Of course, the Princess demand could also mostly evaporate.

What is the demand now a days? Do the ships sail full? I remember in the old days when the OLD Regal sailed the route. I would much rather sail the route on a larger ship but then again that's just me. Biggest down side is the cost of airfare.

I fear they might abandon the French Polynesia itineraries because, except for Tahiti, Bora Bora and Moorea, those islands are ill equipped to handle even the Sun and Island Class ships. They simply lack the tourist infrastructure to handle that many passengers at one time.

If the Pacific Princess leaves the fleet, I expect Princess to no longer offer the unique itineraries that Princess is known for.

Just about all of the itineraries for the bigger ships are duplicated by other cruise lines. This is true in the Caribbean, in northern Europe, in the Med, and in South America.

Some people enjoy just cruising to St. Thomas, St Maarten and a private island over and over. We do not.

That's so sad. Itineraries are what I look at.

I've been on Caribbean cruises a few times. I'm looking for new horizons.

Yes, the drawback is the flight cost and time, but it's been on my bucket list to explore polynesia. Paul Gaugin cruises do not indicate their costs. Anyone know?

I don't want to travel all the way to Australia to start a cruise to Polynesia.

Thank you all for your information.

MB

If the Pacific Princess leaves the fleet, I expect Princess to no longer offer the unique itineraries that Princess is known for.

Just about all of the itineraries for the bigger ships are duplicated by other cruise lines. This is true in the Caribbean, in northern Europe, in the Med, and in South America.

Some people enjoy just cruising to St. Thomas, St Maarten and a private island over and over. We do not.

Another vote for this opinion. We sail Princess because of the itinerary. We have 32 cruises on Princess and none were Caribbean or Bahamas.

My vote is for Oceania. We did it last year and it was our best cruise ever!:D

Oceania will have one more ship a year from now. They are purchasing the Ocean Princess. So they will likely be looking at additional routes.

Oceania will have one more ship a year from now. They are purchasing the Ocean Princess. So they will likely be looking at additional routes.

I agree with Caribill. The top-grade exotics, such as the Ocean Princess's circum-Africa this fall (I booked it but cancelled when they made all the changes over Ebola) are toast. Yes, there will be a London-Sydney or a Transpacific on one of the larger ships now and then but it just doesn't compare to what the small ships can do.

... Paul Gaugin cruises do not indicate their costs. Anyone know?

MB

The official pricelist for the 2015 PG cruises is at

http://www.pgcruises.com/sites/default/files/media/pdf/8339_2015_sailing_schedule_8.25.14.pdf

Ignore the crossed-out "Standard Cruise Fares", which no one pays. The "50% Savings" fares (including airfare from LAX) are the standard fares for the lowest-category cabins. Similar cabins with windows are slightly more. Balcony (and upward) cabins are notably more. Fares excluding the round trip between LAX and Tahiti are generally about $1500 lower.

Besides including the airfare and transfers, the listed PG fares are somewhat more inclusive (e.g., including gratuities and standard drinks) than the fares on the small Princess ships. The PG also has other less easily quantified benefits. However, even after allowing for the greater "inclusiveness" of the PG, the price differential from the Princess small ships is still quite significant. It will IMHO be very unfortunate when there is no longer a Princess small-ship option in French Polynesia.

John

I agree with J-D. And when doing my price comparisons even after making apples to apples for the PG inclusive the price premium for PG gets larger as you go up in cabin category.

We considered PG due to their great reviews and more flexible and frequent schedule but as we like to cruise less often but in a full suite when we do we just couldn't justify the large price premium for PG.

That's why Windstar is a great option. Their prices are quite a bit lower than PG and it's an amazing experience on a real sailing vessel vs. a solely motor-powered ship. Look into them - it might be what you're looking for:

http://www.windstarcruises.com/Destinations/Tahiti/

And count me in as another who is missing the more exotic itineraries that the Small Ships of Princess used to do. Those little ladies will be sorely missed.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I fear they might abandon the French Polynesia itineraries because, except for Tahiti, Bora Bora and Moorea, those islands are ill equipped to handle even the Sun and Island Class ships. They simply lack the tourist infrastructure to handle that many passengers at one time, not to mention that the tendering (for all except Tahiti and Raiatea) would be cumbersome.

Also, Pago Pago can handle the larger ships.