Beware Viking Referral Program - and the Customer Service that goes along with it....

franski

Much of the angst comes from how this was done, and Viking does need to learn from that.

No reason why they shouldn't audit the referrals, and it isn't unreasonable to expect people who have been referred to know who has referred them and it is somewhat incumbent on those who are referring them to make sure the people they refer know that.

What they should not have done was simply delete the referrals wholesale without contacting those who were responsible for the referrals.

If a TA is handling out someone's details for referrals then I can see how it can get out of hand and why Viking may have cause for concern. The TA may very well be grateful for the help provided with information on river cruises, but they should be directly and personally thanking those helping them at their own cost, not facilitating referrals for people who were not really referred.

But once again this is as much about how they do things as what they are doing and it is in that regard that Viking have clearly failed on this occasion.

Much of the angst comes from how this was done, and Viking does need to learn from that.

No reason why they shouldn't audit the referrals, and it isn't unreasonable to expect people who have been referred to know who has referred them and it is somewhat incumbent on those who are referring them to make sure the people they refer know that.

What they should not have done was simply delete the referrals wholesale without contacting those who were responsible for the referrals.

If a TA is handling out someone's details for referrals then I can see how it can get out of hand and why Viking may have cause for concern. The TA may very well be grateful for the help provided with information on river cruises, but they should be directly and personally thanking those helping them at their own cost, not facilitating referrals for people who were not really referred.

But once again this is as much about how they do things as what they are doing and it is in that regard that Viking have clearly failed on this occasion.

Well said.

I agree - unless they call and speak to the spouse of the person who received the referral. I doubt the spouses of many of my referrals would be able to give my name - and yet the referrals were legit.

In my case - it was a "real" referral.... referral to the TA, as well as for river cruising. If Viking was concerned, they should have questioned it *before* they applied the credit --> not applied it and then taken it back.

It is their referral program - and they have the right to change the rules. But, don't change the rules without communicating the change - unless you want a number of VERY irate people calling.

Fran

Edited by franski

I agree - unless they call and speak to the spouse of the person who received the referral. I doubt the spouses of many of my referrals would be able to give my name - and yet the referrals were legit.

This is what I mean about 'making sure'. When you do refer someone, impress upon them the importance of ensuring that both parties know there was a referral involved so there is no risk of giving the wrong answer if contacted.

It is in their interest as well as yours and a small thing to do to make sure the credit stays in place.

The more I've read about Fran and Carol's problems with the referral program, the more I've come to conclude that it really is a shoddy practice. From what I've read Viking has substantially increased their fleet, so I'm sure there is pressure to get fannies in the seats without sacrificing too much gross margin.

I also have to wonder how quality will suffer with such a rapid expansion. I've seen it happen to other companies (e.g. restaurants autos, and assorted product manufacturers) who expand rapidly. They just are not able to maintain the quality that they were once noted for.

This is what I mean about 'making sure'. When you do refer someone, impress upon them the importance of ensuring that both parties know there was a referral involved so there is no risk of giving the wrong answer if contacted.

It is in their interest as well as yours and a small thing to do to make sure the credit stays in place.

Except for one thing....I would strongly resent any company calling me or anyone else to "confirm" that I personally knew or was related to someone I referred to their company. I'm not saying they can't do it, I'm just saying I don't like it. If I have a coupon for $5 off a product when I use it, I don't expect to be asked to explain how I came to having it. I'm sure I sound unreasonable, but it's how this whole business makes me feel....like instead of bringing in a new customer, I'm made to feel dishonest. :(

I'm sure I sound unreasonable, but it's how this whole business makes me feel....like instead of bringing in a new customer, I'm made to feel dishonest. :(

I'm sure we were typing our posts at the same time. The last part of your sentence explains it very well.

And no, you don't sound unreasonable to me!

But you see that is exactly what Viking did do, accused them of Fraudulent referrals. Their biggest "cheerleaders" accused of being Liars and Thieves!

I'm pretty sure that was what Viking has done and not bothered to apologize to either Fran or Carol. JMHO

Except for one thing....I would strongly resent any company calling me or anyone else to "confirm" that I personally knew or was related to someone I referred to their company.

Unfortunately you can blame those who post their details on web forums and chase after new posters trying to get them to use their details.

Not suggesting for one moment that you were doing that, but the result is that anyone who is claiming a significant number of referrals in a single year is going to get some level of scrutiny.

You are claiming a discount based on being responsible for bringing in new customers, it isn't reasonable to expect there to be no checking if you are doing it a lot...

Once again though, this is more about how it was done than about the fact it was done at all and it is the 'how' that has caused most of the reaction on here and it is there that Viking failed so comprehensively.

Unfortunately you can blame those who post their details on web forums and chase after new posters trying to get them to use their details.

Not suggesting for one moment that you were doing that, but the result is that anyone who is claiming a significant number of referrals in a single year is going to get some level of scrutiny.

You are claiming a discount based on being responsible for bringing in new customers, it isn't reasonable to expect there to be no checking if you are doing it a lot...

Once again though, this is more about how it was done than about the fact it was done at all and it is the 'how' that has caused most of the reaction on here and it is there that Viking failed so comprehensively.

I agree that it was extremely poorly handled, Mark. Where I disagree is the whole premise of CC members

being encouraged to praise Viking's product...in effect providing them with FREE advertising and then penalizing people for providing too many

customers.!

And just so there's no confusion...I have NEVER sailed with or referred anyone to Viking! I also haven't seen or heard of anyone on CC "chasing" after people to book with Viking, or anyone else. If someone wants a referral from me they have to ask me to give them my e-mail and only then will I provide my member #. I have never solicited customers for Vantage! (Not to imply that you or anyone else said I did)

Edited by Hydrokitty

Dang, I could swear that I read experienced cruisers replying to a newbs post with questions offering up either their name and number or their email for referrals. I don't recall who made those posts, but I'm pretty sure it was more than one poster. If I saw these posts, I'm sure the cruise line reps did too and it wouldn't be hard for them to make connections.

I just assumed it was that type of stuff that lead our host to limit the threads where referrals could be posted. FWIW, I have not cruised Viking and probably will not. But, if I do try Viking or a new line, I'll be looking for a referral. :rolleyes:

Dang, I could swear that I read experienced cruisers replying to a newbs post with questions offering up either their name and number or their email for referrals. I don't recall who made those posts, but I'm pretty sure it was more than one poster. If I saw these posts, I'm sure the cruise line reps did too and it wouldn't be hard for them to make connections.

I just assumed it was that type of stuff that lead our host to limit the threads where referrals could be posted. FWIW, I have not cruised Viking and probably will not. But, if I do try Viking or a new line, I'll be looking for a referral. :rolleyes:

I must confess, I never noticed that. I put a message on the "referrals page, for others not Viking" and that was it....and since Vantage has a different system altogether, I haven't had any problem with referrals, although I haven't referred that many either.