Beware Viking Referral Program - and the Customer Service that goes along with it....

franski

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/why-viking/explorer-society/referral-rewards.html

Just for kicks & giggles last night, I decided to look at their website. I do not know when this was changed.

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/PDF/VikingReferralRewardsProgram_Update_112013.pdf

". . . Advertising of customer name or I.D. number in public forums such as on the internet, social media, or published newsletter is considered misuse of Vikings referral rewards program. Rewards earned will be voided without notice."

"I was referred by a passenger who posted their name and customer ID on a social media form, is this considered a valid referral?

No, in this case your refer vouchers would be voided and any discount applied would be removed."

This was *just* changed....

BTW - the referral credits are only good if you are going to book another Viking cruise - and you usually have a companion that books as well. So - the small amount of money they "give away" - is greatly outweighed by the larger amount you spend on your booking.

I do not post name & customer number. People have to contact me to get that. I don't want my full name out there - for privacy reasons.

If they want to change their rewards levels - by all means do so.... But - be open about it - and don't implement it retroactively. AND - don't let the customer apply the reward credits and then remove them months later.

Fran

The aim of the referral schemes is to have satisfied customers encouraging their friends and family to try the particular cruise line

They are looking to incentivize decision influencers not reward people for decisions already made.

So people looking to find referrals on the web for a cruise they have already decided to book, or having your TA pass out your details to people who have already decided to book are definitely not the "referrals" they are trying to incentivize.

My TA has not taken a river cruise - and she relies on *my* experiences to assist her in providing advice to clients. If clients come in - and ask about river cruising - she answers the questions that she can - and offers to contact me if there questions she cannot answer. Some book Viking - and she offers the credit - but many book other lines. I provide assistance whenever I can - whether I get a referral credit or not.

Sorry - I do think that I earn these credits. As previously noted - I have no problem with a re-vamp of the program. But - I *do* have a problem with them removing previously approved credits - and then implying (through communications with people that contact them) that my referrals are "fraudulent"...

Fran

My TA has not taken a river cruise - and she relies on *my* experiences to assist her in providing advice to clients. If clients come in - and ask about river cruising - she answers the questions that she can - and offers to contact me if there questions she cannot answer. Some book Viking - and she offers the credit - but many book other lines. I provide assistance whenever I can - whether I get a referral credit or not.

Sorry - I do think that I earn these credits. As previously noted - I have no problem with a re-vamp of the program. But - I *do* have a problem with them removing previously approved credits - and then implying (through communications with people that contact them) that my referrals are "fraudulent"...

Fran

I agree Fran....we're kind of unpaid ambassadors for the cruise lines we use and they benefit from our service every time someone we recommend books a cruise. The referral that they give us is a mere pittance compared to what they are charging for the cruise PLUS they have a better than average chance of retaining that customer for additional cruises AND referrals. I think Viking is very foolish in refusing to recognize the benefit they receive from non-employees referring people, known or unknown, to their company. And like you, often the people I refer contact me several times for more information and to answer questions not in the tour info guide.

They can make rules about not advertising or sharing referral info on social media but they cannot stop us from making friends or acquaintances through social media...I believe it is 2015???!!!:rolleyes:

I have 'met' many fabulous fellow travelers though travel forums due to our shared love of travel and experiencing the world...hats off to all my traveler friends!!!:D

They can make rules about not advertising or sharing referral info on social media but they cannot stop us from making friends or acquaintances through social media...I believe it is 2015???!!!:rolleyes:

I have 'met' many fabulous fellow travelers though travel forums due to our shared love of travel and experiencing the world...hats off to all my traveler friends!!!:D

Amen to that!!

Fran

http://www.vikingcruises.com/careers/brand-reputation-customer-engagement-analyst.html

The Brand Reputation & Customer Engagement Analyst is a key member of the group within the Marketing Department that is charged with protecting and improving the brand reputation, consisting of teams focused on 1) Social Media Marketing, 2) Public Relations, and 3) Customer Advocacy. The Brand Reputation & Customer Engagement Analyst position is responsible for both strategic and tactical initiatives related to the metrics, reporting, data integration, and budgets of the three teams.Position requires ability to collect, organize, analyze and manage large and varied amounts of information and effectively present data to drive action. The position has close and frequent interaction with senior leaders and requires a combination of analytical skills and business acumen. Position will lead the analysis of complex business questions that provide insight into customer engagement, customer support offerings, and brand health. Skills must include high proficiency in Microsoft Excel, keen attention to detail, and advanced analytics and reporting.Candidate must have strong interpersonal and communication skills, “can-do” attitude, ability to work well under tight deadlines and to accommodate changes. Must be proactive, self-starter willing to do what is needed to complete a task, work well with others and be able to build rapport /collaboration across departments.

OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES

Manage the budgets and financial impact of the Corporate Communications & Customer Engagement Group

Architect of integrating social data into business processes and technologies

Creates and produces standardized analytics

Produce and Coordinate Regular Reports

Create and maintain regular audits

Cross-functional coordination

KNOWLEDGE/SKILL REQUIREMENTS

Bachelor’s Degree required in Business, Marketing, Finance, Economics, Math or similar

Analytical and results-oriented; highly proficient in Microsoft Excel

Proficiency in crafting executive summaries, distilling data into actionable recommendations, and composing presentations

Excellent verbal, interpersonal, analytical skills

Knowledge of MS Office including Word and PowerPoint

Highly detailed and organized with strong multi-tasking abilities

Ability to think, plan and execute resourcefully

Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions

Self-motivated and ability to work both independently and collaboratively

PREFERENCES

MBA preferred

4+ years related experience in brand or business analysis or similar field

Familiarization with customer service operations concepts and tools preferred

Previous experience with marketing preferred

Experience with social media insights and social components of marketing suite software such as Adobe Social, Oracle or Salesforce Marketing Cloud preferred

PROCESS

This position is located in Woodland Hills, CA. Only local applicants will be considered. Please apply via the link below for consideration. Only qualified candidates will be considered.

Viking Cruises® offers destination-focused river and ocean cruises that are carefully designed with a mix of cosmopolitan cities and collector ports. Founded in 1997 as Viking River Cruises, the company has undergone rapid expansion in the river cruise industry, holding the largest market share and operating the largest fleet with 52 modern river vessels including innovative and award-winning Viking Longships®. In 2013, Viking® announced the launch of its ocean cruise division leveraging the company’s managerial experience in ocean cruising as well its success in the river cruise sector.

How ironic is this! In my mail last evening I rec'd a brochure from Viking for referral rewards, with my name and customer number on it. Among other ways suggested to interest people in cruising with Viking are using Facebook and Pinterest. So people you meet thru Pinterest would be ok, but thru CC are not? :rolleyes: No, no. I know this brochure is under the "old rules". Just had to share.

Becki

How ironic is this! In my mail last evening I rec'd a brochure from Viking for referral rewards, with my name and customer number on it. Among other ways suggested to interest people in cruising with Viking are using Facebook and Pinterest. So people you meet thru Pinterest would be ok, but thru CC are not? :rolleyes: No, no. I know this brochure is under the "old rules". Just had to share.

Becki

And worth the laugh!

Becki

Wow, perhaps someone would like to forward Viking a copy of their brochure encouraging social media promotion?:rolleyes::confused:

Not that I know of, since they only send a monthly update. Ironically, I am in the midst of preparing for our Viking Star cruise, which we leave for next week. We are on the maiden voyage of their first ocean cruise venture. So, I have not invested any time in following up on this referral mess. But, once I get back from our cruise, I will begin that process, and I will post an update when I have one.

As Fran has said, I have no issue whatsoever with Viking changing their referral policy at anytime. What I take issue with is their changing it retroactively and then, most egregiously of all, simply removing already awarded referrals or invalidating their customer number with no notification whatsoever to those affected.

Becki

I am so sorry to hear how you have been treated but I'm not surprised.

On a Viking cruise that cost over $23,000: Final invoice shows it was paid in full. Two months later, I called to make sure the docs were going to the correct address and guess what?

"You still owe $200."

"What? I have an invoice showing it was paid in full."

"No, sorry, this is the final price."

Argh! :mad:

I have never, ever had a cruise line not honor a final invoice price.

Wow, what a shock! Now we and probably many others are reluctant to make final payments this spring and summer for fear Viking will just send another bill for extra money! I wonder how ppl can lock in final payment so this trick can't work. It would be an interesting legal challenge with a "contract" already in place. Most lawyers will write a challenge letter for about $80 which they say is usually enough to reach a settlement when only this amount of money is at stake. What a great thread for Viking to watch unfold, lovely PR.

Fran best of luck with this, and keep us updated.

-Bob

I "met" Franski on Cruise Critic, exchanged private emails with her and, ultimately, took Viking's 15-day Grand European Tour in September 2014. I received a referral credit through her, which I appreciated. Viking recently sent me a brochure on the referral program, with a handful of "ID cards" to hand out, listing my name and account number. After reading what has happened to Franski, I don't think I will have any need for them now.

How many other river cruise lines even do referrals?

We're on UniWorld for our first ever river cruise and I don't think they do referrals.

Vantage does them but a little differently. When a new customer uses an existing customer's name and referral # the new customer gets $100 off their first booked cruise and the referring customer gets $100 in the mail. They too encourage repeat customers to share their trips with organizations, clubs, etc. It doesn't make sense...these companies spend millions on advertising, brochures and web sites...and yet when someone has been referred to them and books a $10,000 + trip with them, they get all uppity over a $100 bonus???? Not that Vantage has said or done anything of the sort, but for Viking this has to be a public relations nightmare!!!

...and yet when someone has been referred to them and books a $10,000 + trip with them, they get all uppity over a $100 bonus????

Once again, I do agree they are handling this badly, but they are not getting 'uppity' about someone who is referred making a booking, they are however not happy about people who have already decided to book, using sites like this to find people they do not know, to refer them after the decision is made, so they can benefit from the referral scheme for what is not actually a referral.

This is not being handled well for sure, but I'm not at all surprised that it is happening given the widespread nature of this 'misunderstanding' about the nature and intent of such schemes.

Once again, I do agree they are handling this badly, but they are not getting 'uppity' about someone who is referred making a booking, they are however not happy about people who have already decided to book, using sites like this to find people they do not know, to refer them after the decision is made, so they can benefibrochure.t from the referral scheme for what is not actually a referral.

This is not being handled well for sure, but I'm not at all surprised that it is happening given the widespread nature of this 'misunderstanding' about the nature and intent of such schemes.

If you've decided to book a cruise and come to me, as a previous cruiser, and you ask my opinion of the line, itinerary, when to go, what excursions you should book or even what clothes to bring, and I steer you to a particular company that I have used with the result that you call them and say "Hydrokitty referred me" then, iIMHO, that is a referral and I believe I'm entitled to whatever "bonus" the cruise line has in place. If the cruise line finds it is getting too many referrals from the same person (and why that would be a problem is beyond me) and they decide to cancel their referral program, they should not be allowed to make the cancellation retroactive nor should it be done without notice to all of it's customers. I think this is more than a "misunderstanding". "Uppity" is a slang term we used when growing up for being unreasonable....guess I'm showing my age. :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

If you've decided to book a cruise and come to me, as a previous cruiser, and you ask my opinion of the line, itinerary, when to go, what excursions you should book or even what clothes to bring, and I steer you to a particular company that I have used with the result that you call them and say "Hydrokitty referred me" then, iIMHO, that is a referral and I believe I'm entitled to whatever "bonus" the cruise line has in place.

... and I might well agree with you if that is what happened.

What should not be happening though is people who have already decided to make a booking with a specific cruise line going hunting for those who put their details on forums like this to solicit referrals for their mutual benefit.

I am not suggesting that you personal did this, but it is a practice that is rife on forums such as this and so we should not be surprised if one or more of the cruise lines decide that it is time to do something about it.

I just looked at the "generic" river cruise referral thread. No one has posted their "number" or their details. It would be difficult for a company to assert with any confidence that a referral is bogus. The same can't be said for the Viking board. Numbers and details are out there for Viking to mine and stop. Might be a lesson to be learned.

GCT will give a free cruise if a past cruiser amasses eight referrals, and that's on top of the $100 per person discount they provide to new cruisers. Seems obvious they a) have a good margin and b) expect past cruisers to market for them. I posted in the correct place here and my spouse occasionally posts about GCT on her Facebook page. That's only for her "friends"and my "cruising buddies."

What should not be happening though is people who have already decided to make a booking with a specific cruise line going hunting for those who put their details on forums like this to solicit referrals for their mutual benefit.

I am not suggesting that you personal did this, but it is a practice that is rife on forums such as this and so we should not be surprised if one or more of the cruise lines decide that it is time to do something about it.

I have no problem with them "doing something about it" - I have an issue with *how* they did it.

If they feel that connections through places such as CC are not "legit" - then put that up-front in the literature. Any "disallowed" credits should not be applied to a final payment. Allowing the credits - and then coming back and removing them and asking for more money is what I have a problem with. Especially when they are asking for more money almost 10 months after my cruise was paid in full.

Identify the "rules" - be clear about them in the literature - and be consistent in how the rules are applied.

I have never balked at the long lead time for the "pay in full" date - (one of the few people here on CC...) And, was pleasantly surprised to find that I had a number of credits that could be applied to my final payment. But, to thank me on one hand for my referrals - and then to take them away when I am less than 7 weeks away from my cruise - is so ridiculous.

Fran

... and I might well agree with you if that is what happened.

Why not, Mark? What's the difference? If you book the tour with Viking and use my name as a referral, you're spending several thousand dollars and I'm getting $100....if a TA refers you to Viking they get a commission....why shouldn't someone on CC?.....we're making money for the cruise company by bringing them customers, who with a little luck, will bring in more customers....I don't understand why this is not a "win/win" situation.

Why not, Mark? What's the difference? If you book the tour with Viking and use my name as a referral, you're spending several thousand dollars and I'm getting $100....if a TA refers you to Viking they get a commission....why shouldn't someone on CC?.....we're making money for the cruise company by bringing them customers, who with a little luck, will bring in more customers....I don't understand why this is not a "win/win" situation.

It isn't a win/win for Viking when the 'referral' is being claimed by people who already made their mind up on a booking and are just trying to find someone to help them get a discount.

It is this practice that it seems Viking are particularly concerned about.

If you put the time and effort into helping someone reach a decision that they might not otherwise have reached then yes, you earned the credit.

If you just put your details out there on the web in the hope someone will use them and you'll get a credit as a result then you are not really doing anything to earn the reward and those using the details are doing it purely for the discount and not as thanks for the effort put in.

It isn't a win/win for Viking when the 'referral' is being claimed by people who already made their mind up on a booking and are just trying to find someone to help them get a discount.

It is this practice that it seems Viking are particularly concerned about.

If you put the time and effort into helping someone reach a decision that they might not otherwise have reached then yes, you earned the credit.

If you just put your details out there on the web in the hope someone will use them and you'll get a credit as a result then you are not really doing anything to earn the reward and those using the details are doing it purely for the discount and not as thanks for the effort put in.[/

QUOTE]

What proof do you have that his actually is the case? There aren't even that many postings under the referral thread. But that is the system Cruise Critic decided to utilize. Cruise Critic severely frowns on posters privately emailing each other. Perhaps folks were on the fence which river cruise line to use. They come to Cruise Critic to learn more about it. Because Fran or whomever gave glowing reviews and practical advice about Viking the undecided cruiser decides to book Viking. They further learn that if they use a referral they will get a $200 credit. The person making the referral gets a credit on a future cruise, win/win all around.

What proof do you have that his actually is the case? There aren't even that many postings under the referral thread. But that is the system Cruise Critic decided to utilize. Cruise Critic severely frowns on posters privately emailing each other. Perhaps folks were on the fence which river cruise line to use. They come to Cruise Critic to learn more about it. Because Fran or whomever gave glowing reviews and practical advice about Viking the undecided cruiser decides to book Viking. They further learn that if they use a referral they will get a $200 credit. The person making the referral gets a credit on a future cruise, win/win all around.

My point exactly! Does Viking really expect me to PROVE my relationship with everyone I recommend? And how does Viking ask such personal questions of their customers? What constitutes proof? It would be different if CC members were trolling the pages looking for people who might be ready to book and then contacting them and talking them into using them as a referral when booking but none of us are doing that. I only give my information to people who contact me and ASK for it. I don't demand a commission from the company I refer but if that company wants to reward me for the reference then I am happy to accept.

As to changing their policy: if Viking wishes to change its referral policy it has an absolute right to do so, but they cannot make it retroactive. They have to honor the commitments they have already made to Fran and the others and make their policy change effective as of TODAY, not last month or last year. Can you imagine what would happen if governments made new laws retroactive and you could now be penalized for something you did that was legal when you did it!!!