Beware Viking Referral Program - and the Customer Service that goes along with it....

franski

So I guess if the referrals are "fraudulent," then every person that used your name will also be stuck paying an additional $200, like your friends. Yeah, Viking is going to lose a lot more in goodwill than they're gaining by telling all those cruisers they owe another $200!

This was a huge concern to me... That people, purely because the referral came from me - might be out of pocket.

I have been assured that there will be a review of anyone who still hasn't sailed to ensure that this doesn't happen.

Fran

We definitely need to hear more from Viking about this -- and I believe we will, since CC management has contacted them. Was this resolution just a one-off for you, or will it apply to the others whose referral credits seem to have been retroactively cancelled? And what is the policy going forward? We need an official communication from Viking with a clear statement of the policy that everyone can rely on going forward.

I agree... If I hadn't had the contact from 2 years ago, my TA and I would still be fighting this. This shouldn't depend on having "contacts" higher up.

Also, 2 people that I communicated with - and gave my name/customer # to - were not allowed to use me as a referral source. I think I am going to reach out to see if they were able to get a referral at all. If they didn't get one, then I am going to encourage them to go back to Viking again.

Fran

The apology from Viking needs to be huge because in my mind Viking called you a liar and a thief!! Did this woman have any idea as to how ugly this situation had become, not to mention how public???

Please keep us update.... Hugs

Fran,

Thank you so much for the update ! I am so pleased for you that this horrible situation has been sorted out.

Like you, whenever I have given a referral, I have chatted a bit with the person that contacted me, talking about our positive experiences with Viking, and offering to answer any questions about the ships, or itineraries. If that isn't worthy of a referral, I guess I don't know what is.

And no, Fran, I certainly don't mind your mentioning my post to the Viking higher-up. Anything that will help them realize what a huge blunder they have made with this crazy "auditing" policy. Changing the referral program is a whole different matter.

Becki

Edited by rjscott

Hello Fran,

I am glad to hear that the matter has been dealt with satisfactorily now.

From a business point of view, changing the referral programme makes sense. It should not have happened retrospectively and should have been announced IMO as well.

Two things have come to me again while thinking about customer service regarding this specific river cruise company:

how fast can a company expand while retaining good customer service and the person at the end of the line of command - for example on a customer hotline - still knowing what the top of the company plans and how it wishes to operate.

The other matter, paying far in advance of your actual cruise date has been raised here (it was discussed in more detail in another thread last year, I believe):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2172351

Other companies are expanding on this still growing market of river cruising, with European companies trying to establish themselves on the North American market, just not as much and not with as much publicity. Their terms and conditions are online, as well.

Remember: standard in Europe is 60 or 90 days before departure date. Some companies offer early booking, the conditions for those offers vary.

notamermaid

I am pleased to hear of Viking's response. The problem I encountered was also on an Elbe cruise, coincidentally.

I hope this is the future of how Viking is run and not a unique situation. It's up to them to prove to us that they can not only BOOK people on these cruises, but they can offer CUSTOMER SERVICE throughout the pre-cruise process too.

Thanks for the update and their response.

Hi everyone -

I am concerned that people I have referred may have their referral credits pulled. She indicated that she would review my list of credits - and would ensure that if that had happened, the monies would be re-applied to the booking. I did discuss CC referrals - and told her that I felt they were legitimate. I don't post my full name or customer # on CC --> people need to contact me for that information. I often will ask questions, make suggestions etc - so that is a "legitimate" referral. And, the referral credit is only of use if you are going to book another Viking cru: ise. The literature does not indicate that you need a "personal" relationship. My suggestion was that if they want to change the referral parameters, they should do so in writing, in a transparent fashion - and from an identified date going forward. Applying any changes retroactively is a poor practice.

Fran

Fran: So glad this worked out for you!!! Aside from personal anguish, your post was disturbing to me, and I'm sure others on CC, who provide referrals. Like you, I also make myself available to answer questions and provide information that is not always in the brochure, but certainly saves Vantage the time and energy of answering questions like what do I wear? What do I need to bring? Should I take particular excursion or trip extension?, etc. I feel that by answering people's questions, I am earning my referral credit! :D

Clearly this was handled badly, but I do understand why they need to review their policy.

The aim of the referral schemes is to have satisfied customers encouraging their friends and family to try the particular cruise line

They are looking to incentivize decision influencers not reward people for decisions already made.

So people looking to find referrals on the web for a cruise they have already decided to book, or having your TA pass out your details to people who have already decided to book are definitely not the "referrals" they are trying to incentivize.

So again, badly handled in this case for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a clearer change communicated at some point to take these 'non-personal' referrals off the table...

Ironically, my annual Viking Referral Program brochure came in the mail today. I looked it over carefully to see if I could report the program changes to everyone. I didn't find any changes. The brochure simply says, in several places, that getting your referral award is as simple as making sure that your referred party provides Viking with your name and customer number at the time of booking.

I am a happy Viking customer looking forward to our Rhine Getaway in August. Like everyone else here I was appalled at their treatment of Franski. As often seems to happen since I've been following along with CC; they seem to do the right thing in the end.

As an old marketing guy this has all the elements of a corporate FUBAR. Someone in accounting realizes that lots of referrals are coming from travel agents. Something bogus must be happening. Let's do an audit.

So some unsolicited advise to my Viking friends. We understand that you have rules and restrictions on the referral program. The time to apply those is at the point of sale, with a clear and polite explanation of the reason.

After the fact audits have all the earmarks of, what's that institution we all love this time of year? Again, just my 2 cents as an old marketing guy but linking your brand to that one - probably not good.

Frank

While I agree with you Mark T, that how the referral program was being used was probably not what Viking intended, I also believe that Viking's mishandling of the already awarded referrals was an epic failure in customer service, both for their current customers and for those who might have been future customers.

I for one, unless my referral awards are reinstated, will not book another river cruise with Viking. Since my first river cruise with them I have been a cheerleader for them. This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Becki

One way Viking can save money is by STOP mailing me brochures on a daily basis. Oy vey....

Ditto! Viking's advertising budget must be huge so maybe the crackdown on referral credit is their way to pay for it. Hmmm, let's see, brochure blitzing even to those who have never asked for them OR referral credit given to current and new pax.....a bird in the hand Is worth two in the bush!

Ditto! Viking's advertising budget must be huge so maybe the crackdown on referral credit is their way to pay for it. Hmmm, let's see, brochure blitzing even to those who have never asked for them OR referral credit given to current and new pax.....a bird in the hand Is worth two in the bush!

Ditto for me too....and I've never sailed with viking nor asked for a price quote from their website....they are relentless, but then so is Vantage and I always pick my cruises on line and book them on the phone!!

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/why-viking/explorer-society/referral-rewards.html

Just for kicks & giggles last night, I decided to look at their website. I do not know when this was changed.

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/PDF/VikingReferralRewardsProgram_Update_112013.pdf

". . . Advertising of customer name or I.D. number in public forums such as on the internet, social media, or published newsletter is considered misuse of Vikings referral rewards program. Rewards earned will be voided without notice."

"I was referred by a passenger who posted their name and customer ID on a social media form, is this considered a valid referral?

No, in this case your refer vouchers would be voided and any discount applied would be removed."

Folks, this is the Digital Age. We make friends in many ways and "Social Media" is a fact of life in 2015. Let's stop thinking like those Norsemen with the horns on their hats, trading the hats for tats. Welcome aboard the New Longships! :eek:

Folks, this is the Digital Age. We make friends in many ways and "Social Media" is a fact of life in 2015. Let's stop thinking like those Norsemen with the horns on their hats, trading the hats for tats. Welcome aboard the New Longships! :eek:

All I keep thinking of is: "What's in YOUR wallet?"

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/why-viking/explorer-society/referral-rewards.html

Just for kicks & giggles last night, I decided to look at their website. I do not know when this was changed.

http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/PDF/VikingReferralRewardsProgram_Update_112013.pdf

". . . Advertising of customer name or I.D. number in public forums such as on the internet, social media, or published newsletter is considered misuse of Vikings referral rewards program. Rewards earned will be voided without notice."

"I was referred by a passenger who posted their name and customer ID on a social media form, is this considered a valid referral?

No, in this case your refer vouchers would be voided and any discount applied would be removed."

How will Viking know my identity or the identity of anyone who posts on CC? How can they prove how you were referred.

While I agree with you Mark T, that how the referral program was being used was probably not what Viking intended, I also believe that Viking's mishandling of the already awarded referrals was an epic failure in customer service, both for their current customers and for those who might have been future customers.

I for one, unless my referral awards are reinstated, will not book another river cruise with Viking. Since my first river cruise with them I have been a cheerleader for them. This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Becki

Curious if you have contacted them or verified the status of your referrals?

I have not yet, but I have in the past rec'd a monthly report of my referrals. This report stopped a few months ago. When I saw Fran's report of her situation with her referrals, it all made sense to me. I had been planning to use my referral awards toward a 2016 Paris/Normandy river cruise.

Becki

How will Viking know my identity or the identity of anyone who posts on CC? How can they prove how you were referred.

I had someone contact me directly - from my posts here on Cruise Critic - she asked a number of questions about cruising in general - and on Viking specifically. She did ask for my name & customer #. Fast forward a couple of months - and she contacted me again. She finally decided on Viking - and wanted to confirm the name & customer number - and know my address - as Viking was needing that to confirm that this wasn't a "fraudulent" referral.

My response was that my name & customer number hadn't changed - that I live in Whitby, Ontario, Canada - and that Viking has the rest of the info as I had 2 cruises booked with them. They wouldn't let her use me.

I told this information to the Viking rep that I talked to. This is, IMHO, an "honest" referral.

Fran