Beware Viking Referral Program - and the Customer Service that goes along with it....

franski

I don't think any of us knows what Viking's motivation was for starting this program [i sure don't], and since they have made no public announcement about the change we don't know what prompted it. I will point out that at least one other cruise line -- Crystal -- has a referral program that requires you to book first and then find a repeat customer to sponsor you so you both get a discount. This is clearly explained in the "Share The Experience" [sTEX] sticky in the Crystal forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1896007

Both the new and repeat customers have to be sailing on the same voyage, but there is no requirement that they actually meet or have any contact and the matchup is done purely through this Cruise Critic sticky. So not all referral programs are designed solely for existing acquaintances or for decision-influencers. That leaves a lot of room for "misunderstanding" about the purpose of Viking's program. It would be nice if Viking explained their program, so that we could all understand it.

Oh Hydrokitty!!! Sadly, I believe IRS actually does do that :(

LOL....actually I was talking about agencies that are PART of the Government!! IRS is in a class by itself. But it's a beautiful Easter Sunday morning so let's not go there ! :D

I was fairly close to talking my wife into an Elbe cruise on Viking for 2016. We both have our ideological issues with them, but Viking seemed to make the most sense after investigating.

I had contacted someone on this board, asked questions about Viking, received their endorsement of the line and got their referral code. After reading this and another thread, I gave up. I have not sailed Viking and now probably won't ever.

If they are so cheap and myopic as to rake loyal and existing customers over the coals for a few hundred bucks, I can only guess where else they cut corners.

Back to the original plan of lower Danube on Uniworld.

We've taken 7 cruises with Viking and had the Portugal cruise scheduled for this August but had to cancel due to a pending move. Had planned to do Portugal, Bordeaux, China and Bangkok with Viking but now have second thoughts. I can understand both sides of the issue but can not reconcile how unprofessional this is being handled. Not only is VRC turning clients away that have sailed with them more than once but giving new cruisers pause for thought about doing business with them.

I have to wonder about Viking - Do they really care!

They should with all the new ships they need to fill.

We received a brochure from Viking with really good offers for 4 different cruise itineraries that included free air fare from the west coast. However, after reading about Viking's treatment of its customers, we are reluctant to book with them. Yes I know that many give Viking good reviews but it seems that when there is a problem, a satisfactory resolution is hard achieve. Customer service needs a lot of improvement.

I was fairly close to talking my wife into an Elbe cruise on Viking for 2016. We both have our ideological issues with them, but Viking seemed to make the most sense after investigating.

I had contacted someone on this board, asked questions about Viking, received their endorsement of the line and got their referral code. After reading this and another thread, I gave up. I have not sailed Viking and now probably won't ever.

If they are so cheap and myopic as to rake loyal and existing customers over the coals for a few hundred bucks, I can only guess where else they cut corners.

Back to the original plan of lower Danube on Uniworld.

You might also check out Vantage. They do an Elbe cruise that I'm planning on taking in 2017. They don't use travel agents, but they do give deliver a quality product for less money than Viking!

Hydrokitty,

How would you compare Vantage to say an AMA or Uniworld?

In all honesty, Los Pepes, I cannot because I have only sailed with Vantage. I like Vantage for several reasons: they don't deal with travel agents and I am a total control freak; the ships are more than comfortable without being over-done; the cabin sizes are the same for all cabins (except suites of course) and around 165 sq. ft. with hotel style beds that can be put together or as twins, whichever you prefer; the food is excellent:b-fast is full buffet which runs from cold cereal to cooked to order eggs; lunch is salad bar with served hot or cold soup, and choice of hot lunch; dinner is sit down service with choice of appetizer, soup, salad and fish, meat or vegetarian entree and choice of dessert. Wine is included on some cruises not on others. There is plenty of seating on deck, in the lounge and in the dining room for everyone. All TMs and local guides speak perfect English, including slang and will go out of their way to accommodate. But the most surprising to me was a cost comparison I did in Feb. using the same trip, same date, same itinerary and same cabin level between Vantage and Viking in which Vantage came in considerably less than Viking. As to AMA and Uniworld, like I said I haven't cruised with them but I've also heard nothing negative or disturbing about either of them. FYI, I have completed 6 trips with Vantage and have 2 booked for this summer. I was so satisfied with my first Vantage cruise that I've never looked at anyone else. Hope this helps.

You might also check out Vantage. They do an Elbe cruise that I'm planning on taking in 2017. They don't use travel agents, but they do give deliver a quality product for less money than Viking!

Or, for that matter also check Grand Circle Travel. We are booked on a GCT Elbe cruise - three nights in Berlin, seven nights on the ship, two nights Prague. When we priced it, it was less than either Vantage or Viking.

GCT's ship has no suites, and bedding in the 140 sq. ft. cabin is pullman. If I recall correctly the cabin's on the Vantage's Chopin (ship used on the Elbe) are 140 sq. ft. or less in other classes. Only certain cabin classes have double beds.

In just about all other respects the onboard and touring experience is comparable to PP's description of Vantage.

Edited by CPT Trips

Or, for that matter also check Grand Circle Travel. We are booked on a GCT Elbe cruise - three nights in Berlin, seven nights on the ship, two nights Prague. When we priced it, it was less than either Vantage or Viking.

GCT's ship has no suites, and bedding in the 140 sq. ft. cabin is pullman. If I recall correctly the cabin's on the Vantage's Chopin (ship used on the Elbe) are 140 sq. ft. or less in other classes. Only certain cabin classes have double beds.

In just about all other respects the onboard and touring experience is comparable to PP's description of Vantage.

Interesting....I was planning to book this trip with Vantage on our next trip but I was unaware that it was not a Vantage ship. What exactly is a pullman? I'm getting mental picture of bunk beds....:eek: GCT and Vantage are owned by the same family.....but bunk beds would definitely be

a trip killer.

interesting....i was planning to book this trip with vantage on our next trip but i was unaware that it was not a vantage ship. What exactly is a pullman? I'm getting mental picture of bunk beds....:eek: Gct and vantage are owned by the same family.....but bunk beds would definitely be

a trip killer.

ImageUploadedByForums1428335629.769688.jpg.44f43fb369ca4007967a689c188b7975.jpg

GCT picture if their Pullman beds!

Edited by JVilleGal

I think this is only in lowest category but you can ck with GCT.

I will J'ville, I'm also going to check with Vantage because according to their site there are cabins available on the Chopin that have twins configured as one bed and that's the category I would want. Even though the cabins seem a little smaller than we're used to, they look nice and lets face it, the cabin needs only to be big enough for two adults to sleep and walk between the bed, bathroom and closet without knocking each other down!

Edited by Hydrokitty

HI everyone -

Sorry for the delay - but I wanted to give Viking time to get everything organized on their end.

To recap - I discovered that Viking had "disallowed" some of my referral credits - on an already paid for cruise - and has subsequently pulled my voucher for the "free cruise". I spoke with a Manager in Customer Service - and my referral credits were reinstated for our Elbe Cruise in May - and they did offer to reinstate my voucher if I wanted to continue with our booking for China in October. I wanted time to digest this - as, to be honest - this whole situation left a sour taste in my mouth.

Long story short - I have decided to continue with my trip to China with Viking. This isn't to say that this final decision came easily - but DH and I are comfortable with this plan. We do feel that this is a good itinerary, and like the fact that there are 5 nights on the Yangtze. I realize many purists will say that this isn't the best way to see China - but this works for us at this time. Perhaps we will have an opportunity to go again - and we can plan a trip that is a little more "outside the box" - but we get the Great Wall, the Terra Cotta Warriors - and 5 days to relax on the boat. We did investigate other options (and we did have one very good one available if we decided not to go with Viking) but ultimately decided to continue with our original plans.

Viking has been very quiet about this situation - and, to be honest, it isn't like them. Not sure whether the inaugural Viking ocean voyage is keeping them busy - or they are just "hashing things out" behind closed doors.

I was very honest and up-front in my discussion with the Customer Service rep. I have no issue with them amending their referral program - it is *how* they did it that has caused this situation. I also suggested that she (and/or others at head office) read this thread so they can understand the impact this lack of communication has caused.

At the end of the day - we are excited about this trip - and the trip on the Elbe in May. Would I travel with Viking again?? Not sure.... They offer a fair package at a reasonable price point - but this has taken FAR too much effort to book a river cruise. I shouldn't have to start climbing through corporate windows (in a figurative sense) to get them to do the "right" thing. And even after we notified Viking that we would like to continue with our booking, the planning was not smooth. It took a couple of e-mails and phone calls (to Customer service & to the Accounting dept) to get things aligned as they were promised.

How Viking addresses the issue of referrals (as others are facing a similar situation - with credits they may not be able to use....) will probably play heavily into future travel plans. Hopefully they will come to a decision about the referral program, and then take the time - and make the effort - to communicate this clearly with ALL past passengers, and their travel partners (ie: TAs, CC management etc).

Thanks to everyone here for your support on this forum - it meant a lot to know that others were behind me.

Fran

Edited by franski

HI everyone -

Sorry for the delay - but I wanted to give Viking time to get everything organized on their end.

To recap - I discovered that Viking had "disallowed" some of my referral credits - on an already paid for cruise - and has subsequently pulled my voucher for the "free cruise". I spoke with a Manager in Customer Service - and my referral credits were reinstated for our Elbe Cruise in May - and they did offer to reinstate my voucher if I wanted to continue with our booking for China in October. I wanted time to digest this - as, to be honest - this whole situation left a sour taste in my mouth.

Long story short - I have decided to continue with my trip to China with Viking. This isn't to say that this final decision came easily - but DH and I are comfortable with this plan. We do feel that this is a good itinerary, and like the fact that there are 5 nights on the Yangtze. I realize many purists will say that this isn't the best way to see China - but this works for us at this time. Perhaps we will have an opportunity to go again - and we can plan a trip that is a little more "outside the box" - but we get the Great Wall, the Terra Cotta Warriors - and 5 days to relax on the boat. We did investigate other options (and we did have one very good one available if we decided not to go with Viking) but ultimately decided to continue with our original plans.

Viking has been very quiet about this situation - and, to be honest, it isn't like them. Not sure whether the inaugural Viking ocean voyage is keeping them busy - or they are just "hashing things out" behind closed doors.

I was very honest and up-front in my discussion with the Customer Service rep. I have no issue with them amending their referral program - it is *how* they did it that has caused this situation. I also suggested that she (and/or others at head office) read this thread so they can understand the impact this lack of communication has caused.

At the end of the day - we are excited about this trip - and the trip on the Elbe in May. Would I travel with Viking again?? Not sure.... They offer a fair package at a reasonable price point - but this has taken FAR too much effort to book a river cruise. I shouldn't have to start climbing through corporate windows (in a figurative sense) to get them to do the "right" thing. And even after we notified Viking that we would like to continue with our booking, the planning was not smooth. It took a couple of e-mails and phone calls (to Customer service & to the Accounting dept) to get things aligned as they were promised.

How Viking addresses the issue of referrals (as others are facing a similar situation - with credits they may not be able to use....) will probably play heavily into future travel plans. Hopefully they will come to a decision about the referral program, and then take the time - and make the effort - to communicate this clearly with ALL past passengers, and their travel partners (ie: TAs, CC management etc).

Thanks to everyone here for your support on this forum - it meant a lot to know that others were behind me.

Fran

Glad it worked out for you Fran, but bottom line is, it shouldn't have happened at all....I was considering Viking for Elbe but no longer will. I'll take my chances with Vantage and the leased ship.....at least I know the company I'm dealing with and I can trust them.

Fran, I'm so glad this worked out for you. The Viking China itinerary seems to get very high marks every year, so I hope the trip will go smoothly from here on out and that you will have a great time.

Glad it worked out for you Fran, but bottom line is, it shouldn't have happened at all....I was considering Viking for Elbe but no longer will. I'll take my chances with Vantage and the leased ship.....at least I know the company I'm dealing with and I can trust them.

I think that many people may be leery of Viking after this. I anticipate that they may have quite a bit of PR work to do to recover. Hopefully there will be lessons learned - and that, moving forward, there is a greater degree of transparency. But - that isn't something I can control - or manage.

I have wanted to do the Elbe for a number of years - and the options are limited. I have tried to keep with companies that are covered by TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario) - and Vantage is not. Nor - have I discovered - is Viking. Will definitely keep that in the back of my mind when I look at future cruises. If things go smoothly, you don't need to worry about the coverage.... It is when there is a glitch that you start looking at these things.

We are excited about going - and refuse to let these situations ruin our anticipation. We leave in less than 6 weeks!!! The countdown has started.

Fran

I'm glad you were able to get your credits reinstated and also the cruise voucher. I can understand still taking the China trip--you'd had it in the works, and honestly, for what Viking put you through, they owe you a free trip!

I think this is only in lowest category but you can ck with GCT.

Nope, the Pullman beds are in all classes for the Rhein, Danube and Elbe boats. Their French river boats may be different, never cruised them.