Beware Viking Referral Program - and the Customer Service that goes along with it....

franski

I'm glad you were able to get your credits reinstated and also the cruise voucher. I can understand still taking the China trip--you'd had it in the works, and honestly, for what Viking put you through, they owe you a free trip!

I am happy with the voucher - although it by no means results in a "free" cruise.... The $3300 voucher cannot be put towards air - not did it entirely cover my part of the China trip. When we booked, we got the last cabin on the sailing we wanted. And - it is a Junior suite. We usually travel Aquarium class - so the price difference is quite significant. Then, we still had to pay for DH's spot.

We thought long & hard about it - and decided to "treat" ourselves. This ticks off a lot of our "bucket list" items - and is a trip we have wanted to take for a number of years. I am also glad that we have the 5 nights on the boat.... if I am paying for the "upgrade" - I want an extra couple of days to enjoy it!!! :D

We will start to plan in earnest in June - after we get back from Berlin. Still have some things to finalize for that trip!!

Fran

HI everyone -

Sorry for the delay - but I wanted to give Viking time to get everything organized on their end.

To recap - I discovered that Viking had "disallowed" some of my referral credits - on an already paid for cruise - and has subsequently pulled my voucher for the "free cruise". I spoke with a Manager in Customer Service - and my referral credits were reinstated for our Elbe Cruise in May - and they did offer to reinstate my voucher if I wanted to continue with our booking for China in October. I wanted time to digest this - as, to be honest - this whole situation left a sour taste in my mouth.

Long story short - I have decided to continue with my trip to China with Viking. This isn't to say that this final decision came easily - but DH and I are comfortable with this plan. We do feel that this is a good itinerary, and like the fact that there are 5 nights on the Yangtze. I realize many purists will say that this isn't the best way to see China - but this works for us at this time. Perhaps we will have an opportunity to go again - and we can plan a trip that is a little more "outside the box" - but we get the Great Wall, the Terra Cotta Warriors - and 5 days to relax on the boat. We did investigate other options (and we did have one very good one available if we decided not to go with Viking) but ultimately decided to continue with our original plans.

Viking has been very quiet about this situation - and, to be honest, it isn't like them. Not sure whether the inaugural Viking ocean voyage is keeping them busy - or they are just "hashing things out" behind closed doors.

I was very honest and up-front in my discussion with the Customer Service rep. I have no issue with them amending their referral program - it is *how* they did it that has caused this situation. I also suggested that she (and/or others at head office) read this thread so they can understand the impact this lack of communication has caused.

At the end of the day - we are excited about this trip - and the trip on the Elbe in May. Would I travel with Viking again?? Not sure.... They offer a fair package at a reasonable price point - but this has taken FAR too much effort to book a river cruise. I shouldn't have to start climbing through corporate windows (in a figurative sense) to get them to do the "right" thing. And even after we notified Viking that we would like to continue with our booking, the planning was not smooth. It took a couple of e-mails and phone calls (to Customer service & to the Accounting dept) to get things aligned as they were promised.

How Viking addresses the issue of referrals (as others are facing a similar situation - with credits they may not be able to use....) will probably play heavily into future travel plans. Hopefully they will come to a decision about the referral program, and then take the time - and make the effort - to communicate this clearly with ALL past passengers, and their travel partners (ie: TAs, CC management etc).

Thanks to everyone here for your support on this forum - it meant a lot to know that others were behind me.

Fran

So happy to hear that you got it all worked out, Fran!

We happened to be on a Viking ship when I read your original post. My husband and I had been sharing lots of photos of our trip on the Romantic Danube with our friends and customers on our Facebook pages and my Instagram. We had eight couples ask us about choosing Viking for cruises of their own while we were still on board. Since returning, more have asked about Viking, calling me over to their tables at our restaurant to ask specific questions.

In my excitement before we sailed, I had gushed about how much I was looking forward to our trip and was thankful for our friends for providing their customer number for us to receive a little discount. I shared that I'd be happy to share my information as well for those interested in booking. I ended up having a few credits before we sailed which are I hope still stored in my account. How can we be sure anymore after what happened to you?

Now I am uncomfortable recommending a company that changes their policy the way Viking has with you. I would hate to put my repretation at risk with our friends and customers because Viking won't allow a referral credit. I shared your post with some of our fellow shipmates during our cruise and we all agreed that this was a huge problem for us all. I honestly don't care about racking up credits for us, but I am worried about Viking awarding credits and then taking them away before our friends sail. I don't want anyone going through a nightmare situation like you have!

In a nut shell, I'm warning my friends that Viking may not be the way to go. Explaining this situation along with some troubling experiences had during our voyage. An AMA ship was docked along side ours and one of our friends had loved sailing with them on the Rhine so we checked out their ship and it was much nicer. They even had an exercise room! I'm telling my friends to check out AMA or another line instead if they really want a river cruise. Or recommending the private guides we had in Prague and Budapest and how to visit Eastern Europe by land.

I've decided to not mention Viking for the most part on my travel blog either. We travel a lot all over the world and the blog is an easy way to share our experiences good and bad with our friends. Rather, I'll be focusing on the places we visited on this trip. So sad... I can't tell you how excited I was about sharing Viking and looking forward to great experiences!

Thank you so much for having the courage to share your experiences with us all here! You have saved us from a lot of heartache! I won't say never, but I think it will be quite some time before we consider booking with Viking again.

Nope, the Pullman beds are in all classes for the Rhein, Danube and Elbe boats. Their French river boats may be different, never cruised them.

Fran: Have a wonderful time in China....can't wait to hear all about it.

RE: Vantage, I think they only market in the US...on our last cruise there was a couple who lived in Thailand but booked through friends who lived in the US and joined them on the trip.

CPT: That is a definite deal-breaker....I am booking trip with Vantage..but thanks for the input!

I am happy with the voucher - although it by no means results in a "free" cruise.... The $3300 voucher cannot be put towards air - not did it entirely cover my part of the China trip. When we booked, we got the last cabin on the sailing we wanted. And - it is a Junior suite. We usually travel Aquarium class - so the price difference is quite significant. Then, we still had to pay for DH's spot.

We thought long & hard about it - and decided to "treat" ourselves. This ticks off a lot of our "bucket list" items - and is a trip we have wanted to take for a number of years. I am also glad that we have the 5 nights on the boat.... if I am paying for the "upgrade" - I want an extra couple of days to enjoy it!!! :D

We will start to plan in earnest in June - after we get back from Berlin. Still have some things to finalize for that trip!!

Fran

Oh, I realize it wasn't free, but it's $3000 you don't have to cover for a bucket list trip! A nice savings that makes getting a suite a bit more manageable. While I know ocean and river cruising aren't the same, we got a fantastic deal on a suite on our last ocean cruise and it was so nice! I'm glad we spent the extra money, especially because that suite allowed us to jump to the front of line for shows, in the dining room, etc. That makes a big difference with 6,000 passengers! Plus the free alcohol in the lounge :D

As I have booked my 7th cruise with Viking, I am also surprised that whoever monitors this board at Viking has yet to comment. I even sent messages to the folks at Viking management that I know and had no response from them.

Very poor service on Viking's part. Fran, I hope you enjoy your cruises. The Elbe cruise is very nice and you get to see how the old East Germany has rebuilt itself.

CPT: That is a definite deal-breaker....I am booking trip with Vantage..but thanks for the input!

Didn't want anyone to be mistaken, beds are the same in all categories on GCT.

Looks like Vantage has several cabin bed arrangements. Be certain you are getting what you want.

Ja! Rebuilt itself entirely on West German's money - we are still paying for it.

George Marshall might view it as PayItForwardLogoChosenRGB.gif

Didn't want anyone to be mistaken, beds are the same in all categories on GCT.

Looks like Vantage has several cabin bed arrangements. Be certain you are getting what you want.

They will configure beds however you want them on all cabin levels. One of the reasons I am sticking with Vantage is that I DO get what I want and if I don't I know exactly what I am getting. They're a really good company when it comes to telling the truth.....and I don't deal well with surprises when it comes to things like cabin location, food, etc. It is well known that I am a control freak!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Cruise Critic Members and Viking Travelers,

We wanted to let you know that we are listening and we apologize for our slow public response to this issue.

In the coming weeks we will be reviewing the Viking Referral Rewards program so that the policy is clearly communicated with our guests and with all members of the Viking team. The ways in which social media is used to make or receive a Viking referral will also be reviewed. When the revised policy is finalized our marketing materials will be updated to reflect it and we will also share it here. We apologize for the confusion, disappointment and frustration we have caused, particularly to our valued guests who put their trust in Viking Cruises by referring us to family and friends.

We ask that you please continue to be patient with us. Reviewing our referral program and updating policies and marketing materials (where needed) will take some time, though we will attend to this matter as quickly as we can.

If you have concerns with your referral credits or would like to speak to Customer Relations regarding this issue, please contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. Please include your 10-digit customer number in your email if you would like assistance with the current status of your credits.

Thank you,

Viking Cruises

P.S. As we’ve done in the past, we will post this response to the various threads that have included recent discussions about this topic. Please excuse the repetition.

I am also struggling to get legitimate referral credits posted to my trip. I am glad to see an email address to send our concerns to. Thanks HydroKitty for bringing this to the attention of viking.

Curious if you called and what "excuse" they gave?

I am also struggling to get legitimate referral credits posted to my trip. I am glad to see an email address to send our concerns to. Thanks HydroKitty for bringing this to the attention of viking.

Thanks for the thanks, but it wasn't me. You need to thank Franski, she's the one who brought this to everyone's attention.

I am glad that Viking finally posted in... although, it has been quite a delayed response.

The proof will be in the pudding, so to speak... I should be getting my travel documents any day - as we leave in just over 3 weeks. If the credits haven't been reinstated (although the last update indicated a zero balance...) I will certainly be letting Viking (and my CC friends) know.

In the meantime - am making plans for our trip --> getting excited. I refuse to let this ruin my enjoyment of this long-planned "adventure".

Fran

That's a great attitude Fran. I know you've been looking forward to this trip, and even for a veteran traveller it is a "bucket list"-type item. So I hope that all the problems will be forgotten once you get on board and that you will just enjoy!

I am glad that Viking finally posted in... although, it has been quite a delayed response.

The proof will be in the pudding, so to speak... I should be getting my travel documents any day - as we leave in just over 3 weeks. If the credits haven't been reinstated (although the last update indicated a zero balance...) I will certainly be letting Viking (and my CC friends) know.

In the meantime - am making plans for our trip --> getting excited. I refuse to let this ruin my enjoyment of this long-planned "adventure".

Fran

Fran, we did the Viking China trip last year and it was fantastic. ENJOY!

Sorry we both had to go through so much with Viking but put it behind you and have a wonderful time!

Fran, we did the Viking China trip last year and it was fantastic. ENJOY!

Sorry we both had to go through so much with Viking but put it behind you and have a wonderful time!

Thanks, Carol....

We are doing China in October with Viking - we are doing the Elbe with them next month.

We were doing the Elbe regardless of the referral credits - as it is a trip I have wanted to do for quite a while. The China one would not have happened with the "free" cruise voucher. Had already booked our air by the time this referral fiasco hit, so we were going --> just not sure what we would be doing once we hit Beijing!! I am very glad it has all worked out.

Fran

That's a great attitude Fran. I know you've been looking forward to this trip, and even for a veteran traveller it is a "bucket list"-type item. So I hope that all the problems will be forgotten once you get on board and that you will just enjoy!

Thanks...

I do plan to post - both on the Elbe and in China.

Stay tuned!!

Fran

Thanks, Carol....

We are doing China in October with Viking - we are doing the Elbe with them next month.

We were doing the Elbe regardless of the referral credits - as it is a trip I have wanted to do for quite a while. The China one would not have happened with the "free" cruise voucher. Had already booked our air by the time this referral fiasco hit, so we were going --> just not sure what we would be doing once we hit Beijing!! I am very glad it has all worked out.

Fran

Enjoy your cruise on the Elbe!

Carol