naturalists in Alaska

pickle11

Are there naturalists on Princess? I was on the Diamond Princess in 2013 and the ship had a full time naturalists on the ship. I cannot remember his name but he was spot on for possible sightings. Sailing on the Grand in May.

All Princess ships in Alaska have a naturalist onboard for the entire cruise. Park Rangers come aboard in Glacier Bay too. The naturalists give lectures and narrate throughout the voyage. They also do hawk their books if they've written one, but that's usually saved for the end of their lectures.

Edited by RickEk

All Princess ships in Alaska have a naturalist onboard for the entire cruise. Park Rangers come aboard in Glacier Bay too. The naturalists give lectures and narrate throughout the voyage. They also do hawk their books if they've written one, but that's usually saved for the end of their lectures.

Do you mean all six princess ships in Alaska this year will have naturalists on there Alaskan cruises? Plus the rangers in glaicer bay?

What ware were they trying to sell?

They aren't selling anything. What a ridicules question to ask. They were there to inform people on the cruise of the wild life around them. They pointed out facts, landmarks, etc. Nothing in it for them, they are paid for by Princess. Same as for the lecturers on board who give their expertise classes on various subjects. I think it''s called Scholarships at Sea. Found them entertaining and informative.

When the rangers come onboard in Glacier Bay, they have a table of educational materials and souvenirs which they have for sale. EM

I believe you will find that the materials for sale at the tables set up aboard ship on the Glacier Bay day may come aboard with the Rangers but are for sale through Alaska Geographic.

They aren't selling anything. What a ridicules question to ask. They were there to inform people on the cruise of the wild life around them. They pointed out facts, landmarks, etc. Nothing in it for them, they are paid for by Princess. Same as for the lecturers on board who give their expertise classes on various subjects. I think it''s called Scholarships at Sea. Found them entertaining and informative.

Sure they do. There was the naturalist on Golden Princess (Michael something.. he was very dramatic during his lectures and fjord narration) who sold his books and DVD's at a table outside the Princess Theater. He was very informative and many people bought his stuff...

Sure they do. There was the naturalist on Golden Princess (Michael something.. he was very dramatic during his lectures and fjord narration) who sold his books and DVD's at a table outside the Princess Theater. He was very informative and many people bought his stuff...

We thought that Michael Modzelewski was excellent on our Alaskan cruise.

"Michael has a life-long contract with Princess Cruises, as their top Alaska Naturalist and Guest Speaker".

http://michaelmodzelewski.com

The NPS RANGERS DONT SELL BOOKS THEY HAVE WRITTEN.....THATS b.S.

They don't write books, they are professional interpreters.

The books and information are specially selected natural history guides and nature books about everything from geology to native culture.... Things to enhance a visitors understanding and connection to the world around them. Neither are they some "conservation interest" promoting their agenda.

NPS regulation prohibits them from selling any personal crafts, books, pictures . Anyone who suggests other is mis-informed... to say the least.

How do I know, I spent 12 years as a NPS Ranger.....

The books and information are specially selected natural history guides and nature books about everything from geology to native culture.... Things to enhance a visitors understanding and connection to the world around them. Neither are they some "conservation interest" promoting their agenda.

NPS regulation prohibits them from selling any personal crafts, books, pictures . Anyone who suggests other is mis-informed... to say the least.

I interpreted RickEk's comment to be that the naturalists (not the National Park Service Rangers) sometimes sell books after their daily lectures. At least that's what we experienced on our two Alaska cruises.

I wasn't talking about the Park Service Rangers in Glacier Bay. I was speaking about the independent naturalists that are onboard throughout the voyage...

I wasn't talking about the Park Service Rangers in Glacier Bay. I was speaking about the independent naturalists that are onboard throughout the voyage...

You clearly stated that it was the independent naturalists & never said it was the NP Rangers so I don't understand how it could be misunderstood.

It's routine for most independent lecturers & performers sell books & DVDs.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I was asking because of the following comment made earlier in the thread.

My apologies, they have nothing to sell really. If you get a good one, that's a real treat in itself. On our trip to Hawaii we had a forensic scientist on board that gave lectures. He gave one on King Tut and one on Jack The Ripper. On our last cruise to Alaska, it was a woman naturalist who seemed to know everything about Alaska, the water ways, and wild life. Whenever she got on the intercom, people stopped and listened to what she had to say. For a change, it got real quiet when she spoke so everyone could hear what she was saying.

I wasn't on that cruise and have never experienced any one selling anything whom Princess has hired to narrate a cruise. First I've heard of this. However, no one is forced to buy anything.

Thank you everyone. Looks like my cruise will have at least someone to point out points of interest. And I see nothing wrong with anyone trying to see sell their books and expertize. I have seen entertainers selling their DVD's and CD's after their shows on cruise ships too.

On all of our cruises (7) we have had Naturalists! 3 to Alaska, 2 Hawaii & 2 to Can/NE.

They were always extremely interesting and very knowledgeable. On 4 of the cruises they were retired Nat'l Park Rangers with fantastic knowledge.

Never once had them hawk books. Yes they did mention that they had written books but never hawking!

I believe you will find that the materials for sale at the tables set up aboard ship on the Glacier Bay day may come aboard with the Rangers but are for sale through Alaska Geographic.

On our Golden cruise in May 2014 we purchased a thumb drive from Alaska Geographic for around $25 that was filled with gorgeous Alaska photography and other documents. It far exceeded my expectations of how much would be on the drive, and had some room left over for me to add my own photographs from our cruise. I thought it was a very nice souvenir. I

Also our naturalist on board was Michael as already mentioned, and he did a great job. The day we were in Glacier Bay National Park one of the Park Service Rangers who was narrating over the PA pointed out a grizzly bear on the shore. One of the hi-lights of the day! (although there were MANY that day -- it's so beautiful everywhere there!)

You clearly stated that it was the independent naturalists & never said it was the NP Rangers so I don't understand how it could be misunderstood.

It's routine for most independent lecturers & performers sell books & DVDs.

Thanks for the validation... I thought I had made myself clear... :)