Beverage Package Pricing Increase

Do an internet search for Celebrity 123Go and numerous promos come up. Celebrities own promos show the $10 + gratuities beverage package upgrade for many booking time periods. When we booked our cruise while onboard Royal Caribbean the Loyalty Ambassador specifically stated that we could upgrade to the premium package for $10. It is my opinion that Celebrity has the right to raise prices as they choose but, as a matter of good faith, they should abide by their own promotional materials in effect at time of booking.

I imagine that we will eventually get the real facts on this, sadly may not be until after 20th... Why have Celebrity not contacted all bookings with "upgrade soon and avoid the price increase", that would be a welcome and thoughtfull action .

Do an internet search for Celebrity 123Go and numerous promos come up. Celebrities own promos show the $10 + gratuities beverage package upgrade for many booking time periods. When we booked our cruise while onboard Royal Caribbean the Loyalty Ambassador specifically stated that we could upgrade to the premium package for $10. It is my opinion that Celebrity has the right to raise prices as they choose but, as a matter of good faith, they should abide by their own promotional materials in effect at time of booking.

They are by offering you the chance to upgrade before the 20th???

I am curious as to how many here received the Classic Package as part of a promotion, & how many actually paid for it? If it was a perk, would you have paid for it anyway? Would you have bought the premium package?

I may be way off base, but I think that the vast majority only have the package because it was free in the first place, so why the complaining?

If it was a perk, why not consider it just that, something that was "free", & look at it as money saved, regardless of what it costs to upgrade?

For our cruise, old price $1764

New price $1994

That's for a premium package with the increase in base price plus going from a 15% to 18% gratuity.

Not bad if you can get it in a couple of quick moves.

I am curious as to how many here received the Classic Package as part of a promotion, & how many actually paid for it? If it was a perk, would you have paid for it anyway? Would you have bought the premium package?

I may be way off base, but I think that the vast majority only have the package because it was free in the first place, so why the complaining?

If it was a perk, why not consider it just that, something that was "free", & look at it as money saved, regardless of what it costs to upgrade?

It was never free. Celebrity's prices have increased substantially since they have been including drink packages. I hope no one thinks these packages have been free--we have certainly all been paying for them.

Hi all,

If you received a Classic Beverage Package as a result of 123go, Pick Your Perk, or any other offer – you will still be eligible to upgrade to the Premium Beverage Package for $10 per day (+18% gratuity) pre-cruise or onboard.

In addition, if you have purchased the Classic Beverage Package for $49, then when the new pricing goes into effect, the cost to upgrade to the Premium Beverage Package will be $16 per day (+18% gratuity) pre-cruise or onboard.

If you have any questions about this change, please feel free to call Celebrity at 1-844-418-6824.

Edited by Celebrity Cruises

It was free, but it was factored into our cruise price based on what we normally pay for drinks ($100-$125 per person). It was NOT money saved if it was factored into the cruise price based on our use.

We were told when we booked our cruise that we could upgrade to premium for $10 plus gratuity if we didn't find the classic wines to our liking. We booked based on that.

Since we BOOKED our cruise, the gratuity has gone up from 15% to 18%, and the upgrade charge has gone from $10 to $16.

It's crazy.

Are celebrity now responsible for the currency exchange rates now ! [emoji57]

I never said they are responsible for the currency exchange rates they are responsible for changing the rules of a promotion though. Every time they have given the promo they advertised upgrading for $10 plus grats. The OBC I bought to upgrade our packages on all three sailings was bought at 8.5%. Now that it's going to cost $16 US to upgrade on board I need to pay it now but, if I pay it now I have to pay the current exchange rate so about 27-28%. So, yeah, yippee we get a heads up to do it at the current rate. Aussies, Brits and Canadians still get the shaft because of the exchange.

Hi all,

If you received a Classic Beverage Package as a result of 123go, Pick Your Perk, or any other offer – you will still be eligible to upgrade to the Premium Beverage Package for $10 per day (+18% gratuity) pre-cruise or onboard.

In addition, if you have purchased the Classic Beverage Package for $49, then when the new pricing goes into effect, the cost to upgrade to the Premium Beverage Package will be $16 per day (+18% gratuity) pre-cruise or onboard.

If you have any questions about this change, please feel free to call Celebrity at 1-844-418-6824.

Thank you for getting back to us, especially on a holiday. I think this is very fair.

So I emailed my Celebrity Vacation Planner yesterday - who is awesome - to ask her if she knew what was happening. These are the two separate emails I received from her this morning.

First:

Good morning,

I forwarded your email to a couple of supervisors as we have had quite a few inquiries regarding this and I wanted them to see one first hand. Unfortunately it's not very black & white as we also just found out and there is some uncertainty with the way it will be handled. I assume we'll have an answer today, when I get one I'll let you know.

And then :)

Hi! Good news, we all received confirmation that the upgrade rate will not change and everyone will have an upgrade charge of $10/guest/day. Help us on Cruise Critic! Haha, just kidding, have a great day!

So that seems a bit more positive :)

Hi all,

Thank you!!!

Hi all,

So let me just confirm this.

If we received a beverage package as part of a promo, then we can upgrade to premium ANYTIME (anytime through the time of our cruise - even if it's in 2016 or beyond) for just $10 plus gratuity?

We got ours as part of a promotion. If we hadn't, we would have purchased the class package at the old price for my husband but not for me. At the new price, we probably wouldn't purchase it at all. It wouldn't be worth it for either one of us.

The package was not "free". When we book a cruise, we consider all expenses into the equation, including the air fare and tours and drinks. If having a drink package reduces our total cost then that may be a determining factor as to which cruise we choose. My complaint is that Celebrity has changed the price to upgrade twice since we booked (first with the increase in gratuity and now the increase in price to upgrade). This is changing the rules after we already joined the game.

At any rate, it won't ruin our cruise. I'll just buy my specialty drinks with OBC now instead of upgrading.

Edited by CruisinCrow

So let me just confirm this.

If we received a beverage package as part of a promo, then we can upgrade to premium ANYTIME (anytime through the time of our cruise - even if it's in 2016 or beyond) for just $10 plus gratuity?

Yes, very clear

Hi all,

Thank you so much for the confirmation!!

Hi all,

Once again, Celebrity steps up to the plate and does the right thing! Just one more reason they are my go to cruise line!

Also, thank you for coming back and giving us the news!:)

BILL:):)

Hi all,

Thanks for clarifying

For those who have the 123go Perk lucked out.

For those who purchased, they should upgrade immediately to avoid the increase in price.