Florence/Pisa

CruisingGs

What do you mean from the cruise port of Livorno ?

In that case yes taxi to Livorno Centrale station, train to Pisa Centrale station. Walk to Field of Miracles for Leaning Tower ., or bus or taxi.

Be sure to pre book your admissions (date and time specific before leaving home ) on the Leaning Tower official website, to avoid dissapointment.

Only 30 persons are admitted every 15 minutes . Bookings open around 30 days in advance . so dont just bowl up and expect to get in, or you may well find the next available tickets are in 3 days when your boat will be in Barcelona !!!

Yes, cheap (about 8 euros return) by train, 2 to 3 trains per hour, about a 15 - 20 minute ride, then a 25 minute walk or taxi to the Field of Miracles - there's more to it than a wobbly tower. ;)

The problem and expense is from ship to Livorno station.

You cannot walk out of the port.

A taxi will cost about 25 euros e/w, but they hold 8 passengers. That's if you can get a taxi from the ship - no problem for us but a number of folk on CC have had problems finding one.

The alternative is a ship's (payable) shuttle to the town centre, then a 1.5 mile hop on a local bus (folk on the shuttle can point you to the bus stop & some will be doing the same thing).

Very few ships offer a shuttle to the station - you can probably guess why :rolleyes:

JB :)

What do you mean from the cruise port of Livorno ?

In that case yes taxi to Livorno Centrale station, train to Pisa Centrale station. Walk to Field of Miracles for Leaning Tower ., or bus or taxi.

Be sure to pre book your admissions (date and time specific before leaving home ) on the Leaning Tower official website, to avoid dissapointment.

Only 30 persons are admitted every 15 minutes . Bookings open around 30 days in advance . so dont just bowl up and expect to get in, or you may well find the next available tickets are in 3 days when your boat will be in Barcelona !!!

Train to Pisa San Rossore not Pisa Centrale (one stop further) turns a 25 minute walk into a 3 minute walk to get to the tower. Not everything stops there, and/or you might have to change at Centrale but it's a lot closer to the tower. Easy stop if you're heading on to the walled city of Lucca, and regular regional trains there's no limit on same-days stops mid way. So when we stopped in Livorono; we did:

Livorno - Pisa Centrale - Lucca

Lucca - Pisa S.Rossore (tower)

Pisa S.Rossore - Pisa Centrale - Livorno

all on the same return ticket to Lucca. Just remember to punch your ticket in the validating machine on the platform before you board.

The changes at Pisa are easy, typically 5-10 mins

Regionale 11874

dep 08:31 Livorno Centrale

arr 08:50 Pisa Centrale

Regionale 6733

dep 09:03 Pisa Centrale

arr 09:08 Pisa S. Rossore

Train to Pisa San Rossore not Pisa Centrale (one stop further) turns a 25 minute walk into a 3 minute walk to get to the tower. Not everything stops there, and/or you might have to change at Centrale but it's a lot closer to the tower. Easy stop if you're heading on to the walled city of Lucca, and regular regional trains there's no limit on same-days stops mid way. So when we stopped in Livorono; we did:

Livorno - Pisa Centrale - Lucca

Lucca - Pisa S.Rossore (tower)

Pisa S.Rossore - Pisa Centrale - Livorno

all on the same return ticket to Lucca. Just remember to punch your ticket in the validating machine on the platform before you board.

The changes at Pisa are easy, typically 5-10 mins

Regionale 11874

dep 08:31 Livorno Centrale

arr 08:50 Pisa Centrale

Regionale 6733

dep 09:03 Pisa Centrale

arr 09:08 Pisa S. Rossore

Hi Scottbee,

No trains from Livorno go to Pisa San Rossore.

So it definitely means a change of train at Pisa Centrale, average connection time 15 mins. Then a walk of ten minutes.

A constant stream of folk heading to the Field of Miracles from centrale suggests that's the preference. Pleasant & interesting walk too.

San Rossore perhaps for those who can't manage a 25 minute walk.

Hi Scottbee,

No trains from Livorno go to Pisa San Rossore.

So it definitely means a change of train at Pisa Centrale, average connection time 15 mins. Then a walk of ten minutes.

A constant stream of folk heading to the Field of Miracles from centrale suggests that's the preference. Pleasant & interesting walk too.

San Rossore perhaps for those who can't manage a 25 minute walk.

Not entirely true; I didn't look at the full schedule, but there are some that run direct from Livorno and stop at S.Rossare

Regionale 21366 lv Livorno @ 06:40

Regionale 21396 lv Livorno @ 08:01

(I didn't bother looking at the full schedule).

and anyway, the 5-10 min layover at Centrale, is still faster than walking. If you're heading to Lucca as well, virtually ALL trains stop at S.Rossare

And there is also a constant stream of people walking from S.Rossare to the Field of Miracles as well...

Not entirely true; I didn't look at the full schedule, but there are some that run direct from Livorno and stop at S.Rossare

Regionale 21366 lv Livorno @ 06:40

Regionale 21396 lv Livorno @ 08:01

(I didn't bother looking at the full schedule).

Just those two, both too early & no other direct trains.

But agreed that change at Pisa central or walk from there is no big deal one way or the other.

NCL "offers"(or demands??) a $12 pp shuttle to the train station. Then you can take the train, about 15 minute ride and about 4 euros pp to Pisa. It is a great walk to the tower, so beautiful. It was one of our favorite places, especially if you are the first people there and have the whole town to yourself before all the hundreds of people get there on the tour buses. It is really easy to do and a lot cheaper than taking a ship excursion. Have a fun time!

Edited by Level six

NCL "offers"(or demands??) a $12 pp shuttle to the train station. Then you can take the train, about 15 minute ride and about 4 euros pp to Pisa. It is a great walk to the tower, so beautiful. It was one of our favorite places, especially if you are the first people there and have the whole town to yourself before all the hundreds of people get there on the tour buses. It is really easy to do and a lot cheaper than taking a ship excursion. Have a fun time!

Excellent! Thanks for the tip

If you take an NCL bus to the station, this is one of the rare situations where I would advise you to purchase a regional train ticket on line ahead of time. I've been at the Livorno station when a public bus empties out ... it's going to be even worse with a cruise line bus (bigger bus, more people, all looking to do the exact same thing).

The line for the manned ticket office will be monumental and the line at the machines almost as bad, because people will continually try to use credit cards that don't work, then stand there trying to figure out why they don't.

Whole groups of people miss trains while waiting to purchase a ticket. Get yours in advance and breeze right by them all.

There is also a Pisa and Florence on your own excursion. Its more money but the no thinking aspect is worth it to some of us. It's basically a coach bus ride. There is a guide but she only gives you some background info while riding. Once you're there you are free to do whatever.

Euro brings up a good point (often mentioned on CC in other threads).

So heads up fellow Americans! Your US magnetic strip or chip/signature credit cards will not work in European vending machines! And this is especially true at train stations! So you can try all the cards in your wallet, put them in the machines 20 times per card (which is why the lines do not move) and they will never work! There are a few US issued Chip/PIN credit cards (compatible with the European EMV standard) that will work. But very few folks have these cards.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

There is also a Pisa and Florence on your own excursion. Its more money but the no thinking aspect is worth it to some of us. It's basically a coach bus ride. There is a guide but she only gives you some background info while riding. Once you're there you are free to do whatever.

I want to do this tour...ncl epic, is charging $129pp. Have you done this tour? If so, what did you see or have time for in Florence? Thx for your help!

What can we do on our own as a family of 5? Can we go to the Leaning a Tower on our own?

Do your research, there are several options and choices one has to make.

DIY to Florence and Pisa are both possible but not without some complication. Easy to do either IMHO, very ambitions to try and do both.

Pisa and climbing it was one of the highlights for my parents and children and the hold the tower shot. My 81 year old dad wasn't going to climb but when he got there he was going to do it come hell or high water :D Took him a loong time but he did it!

For those that consider tour, I'd highly recommend a private tour share as they are much better than the ship tours. The next option would of course be the bus that offers both, but expect to see less and cost more than a private tour share.

p1102841503-4.jpg

p1102841509-4.jpg

p1102841528-3.jpg

I want to do this tour...ncl epic, is charging $129pp. Have you done this tour? If so, what did you see or have time for in Florence? Thx for your help!

You will have enough time in Florence to wander the streets, visit the various churches, visit pointe de vecchio, have lunch, eat gelato, see the replica of David. There was not enough time imo to visit the Academia also if you want to do all those other things. It's more of a soaking up the flavor of Florence visit. If you are a serious art historian this wouldn't be the right excursion for you. But if you're like us didn't want to leave without seeing both Pisa and Florence it's fine.

We did this tour through Royal Caribbean (same one) our first trip to Europe. We enjoyed our day ALOT. We first went to Pisa, parked and walked to the Field of Miracles……. we had about 45 min - 1 hr there. Then we headed to Florence. We were let off and walked to the Santa Croce piazza. We were given a time to meet back and then had @ 4 hours to roam around. We did arrive back at the ship late - but of course they waited for us !!!! :D

Note: Sometimes they reverse the order……Florence first then Pisa. You won't know until you leave on the tour so it makes it impossible to pre book timed tickets.

You are right that this is the way to go for some. But we have seen these "coach transfers" priced as high as $129 (some lines might still sell the excursion for about $89). So a couple could spend $258 just to get to and from Florence. Doing it with shared taxis to and from the Livorno train station and the train would save a couple around $200. And if you factor-in that there are some families of 4, the savings can be about $400....just to get to and from Florence. This is enough of a financial incentive for many folks :).

Hank

You are right that this is the way to go for some. But we have seen these "coach transfers" priced as high as $129 (some lines might still sell the excursion for about $89). So a couple could spend $258 just to get to and from Florence. Doing it with shared taxis to and from the Livorno train station and the train would save a couple around $200. And if you factor-in that there are some families of 4, the savings can be about $400....just to get to and from Florence. This is enough of a financial incentive for many folks :).

Hank

I KNOW! we are family of 4 adults planning to spend $129 and I know its expensive, I'm just worried about missing the ship if we do it on our own...but if could you help me with the prices and travel times in an easy way I would really appreciate it!

So, leaving EPIC and then going to Florence and the Pisa.

From what I have read:

Take a 12 Euros shuttle out of the port, then 1 Euro bus to train station and then train to Florence (how much would this be?) Spend a few hours there and then take train back to Pisa (How much would it be and how long would it take?) and then take a cab (how much would it be?) to Tower of Pisa and then train back to Livorno port.

Is this right?

Would it cost more in terms of time and money bc we are only 4 adults? I also don't want to get ripped off by the taxi drivers. Had a really bad experience in Rome. Thanks again for your help!!

FWIW I'd advocate private. With 3-5 people for a car or 7-8 for a van and the private costs of the private vehicle by the person things are so much cheaper.

I hired two vans from RIL. They were at the dock and we were off the ship 7am. The tour bus hadn't even assembled yet, only vehicles were the private tours. We were at Pisa and dropped curbside about as close as you could ( great for my 80+ dad). We got there before any of the tour bus ;)

We then were off to Florence, had a long stop overlooking the city, dropped off at the Academia and David. Picked up right infront after finishing where we saw the "line" and the cruise tours all waiting to get in. Dropped of 3 other times curbside at what was our fancy. I read and recalled in Europe at many places the bus can't park or drop near the sites.. and thus have to hike a bit into things.

Yes private means ship won't wait, we left to head back to the ship probably way earlier than the last bus. If there was going to be traffic, we'd have been ahead of the ship "bus"... of course Murphy could have visited and resulted in a flat tire or vehicle problems. In our case we were back almost 80' before sailing and had showered and were sipping drinks watching the last bus come back.

Most private live on reputation.. they have a very vested interest in getting you to the ship.

Only reason to do the Ship tour is lack of local private and our laziness. Traveling in a bus with 40 other folks with the pace driven by the slowest person is not my idea of a good plan...:D

Michelle,

Shuttle + bus as your post, or taxi direct to Livorno Centrale costs 25 euros e/w but they carry up to eight passengers.

A day-return train ticket to Florence costs about 18 euros. Pisa is on the way to Florence & your ticket to Florence allows you to break your journey there on the way or on the way back, no extra cost.

Some folk advise Pisa first, to avoid the crowds.

I advise it on the way back

- because you should always put places close to the ship at the end of a day

- because you can skip Pisa if you're running late

- because trains from Pisa to Livorno are about half-hourly & those from Florence are hourly, so you can aim to catch the second-to-last train without losing an extra half-hour.

Vaguely from memory Livorno to Pisa is about 20 mins by train, Florence is about an hour further.

Unless you want to see the original David statue, the main sights of Florence are easy walking from the station, called Firenze S M Novella.

The Field of Miracles as said earlier is a 25 minute walk or a taxi ride from Pisa Centrale. You'll need a bare minimum 15 mins there for photos etc. So if you walk, Pisa will take something under 2 hours out of your time in Florence.

Check train times on the Trenitalia website. Its not user-friendly, and is reluctant to quote times more than a week away. So if it won't show your date, use the same day-of-the-week next week for research, & confirm the information close to your date. Make a note of all the combinations of train times for your return, & check them again when you get to Livorno station in case of any changes.

As usual, I've managed to make it sound complicated. :rolleyes:

It isn't :)

Edited by John Bull

• 3 weeks later...
Just an FYI, we have a new Amazon card and a Marriott Rewards card, both issued through Chase, and both have chip and pin. So they're making their way across the pond. . .

This struck me as funny.:D

They are not just making their way across the pond, We have had them in Canada for quite a few years already.

It is only the US that is behind the times with this.:eek:

FWIW I'd advocate private. With 3-5 people for a car or 7-8 for a van and the private costs of the private vehicle by the person things are so much cheaper.

I hired two vans from RIL. They were at the dock and we were off the ship 7am. The tour bus hadn't even assembled yet, only vehicles were the private tours. We were at Pisa and dropped curbside about as close as you could ( great for my 80+ dad). We got there before any of the tour bus ;)

We then were off to Florence, had a long stop overlooking the city, dropped off at the Academia and David. Picked up right infront after finishing where we saw the "line" and the cruise tours all waiting to get in. Dropped of 3 other times curbside at what was our fancy. I read and recalled in Europe at many places the bus can't park or drop near the sites.. and thus have to hike a bit into things.

Yes private means ship won't wait, we left to head back to the ship probably way earlier than the last bus. If there was going to be traffic, we'd have been ahead of the ship "bus"... of course Murphy could have visited and resulted in a flat tire or vehicle problems. In our case we were back almost 80' before sailing and had showered and were sipping drinks watching the last bus come back.

Most private live on reputation.. they have a very vested interest in getting you to the ship.

Only reason to do the Ship tour is lack of local private and our laziness. Traveling in a bus with 40 other folks with the pace driven by the slowest person is not my idea of a good plan...:D

Please tell me the name of company you used for private tour out of Livorno to Florence. Thank you

Agree, it is only a little more to do a private tour and way less hassle than trains. If you ask on your roll call and get 8 people, it brings the price down even further. We always use Tuscany by taxi and have found them to be the most reasonable and very reliable. The drivers are not guides but many times have a lot of knowledge and history to impart. By using a driver you can spend 5 hours in Florence and do a quick stop in Pisa. See Tomsportguide.com for a great walking tour or Rick Steves has a great one too.