behind the scenes tours on board

Wiz201

Yes, I was interested in the tour on Azura last month, particularly the engine room.

I did a double take at the £75 charge and decided that the drinks and canapes post-tour included in that price must have been top notch to say the least. No way could that cost be justified for a tour. Needless to say, I gave it a swerve.

I did one on Oceana. We saw so much more than the galley. We saw the theatre backstage, costumes, changing rooms, sound stage, recycling centre, galley, engine control room, mooring deck and bridge. We had a break midway through for cakes and drinks and at the end champagne and canapés in the captain's dayroom. We also got a complimentary gift and photo. Although I have been behind the scenes and on the bridges of all the P&O ships, we never got to the control room etc before.

Edited by Host Sharon

We did this tour on Ventura and it was well worth it. You don't see the actual engines, but the high tec control room. One highlight was unhurried access to the bridge. Several very senior staff were waiting for us in key areas to demonstrate or explain such things as anchoring, costume storage (quite surprising), store rooms etc. The medical centre was interesting and they tell you all sorts of things that we found fascinating. The food or drink is a token gesture, so don't book on account of that but, if like us, you have been on quite a few cruises and find the 'how it all works' aspects interesting and can suffer the cost, then I thoroughly recommend it. We would do it again and intend to on Britannia later this year, if it is offered.

That's really useful to know. How do you register our interest in going on the tour? Thanks.

I don't believe that you can book it before he cruise, but it is advertised in the ships newspaper and its booked through reception.

has anyone been on one of these? Just trying to justify the £75 :eek:

Yip - we did last year in Oceana - loved every minute. The Captain was very gracious and we were on the Bridge for well over 45 minutes. We finished the tour with canapés and champagne in the Captain's Quarters by the Bridge for about an hour after that. He was a great host.

We saw the engine room, waste area, galley, anchor areas and the theatre and had snacks on the way. Some very senior staff were there to greet us.

Yes it was expensive - would be do it again - in a heartbeat.

It was our last day on board and a sea day so it was well worth the extra. A great way to use onboard credit if you have it.

Edited by Presto2

Thanks Selbourne - I will look out for it being advertised when I get on board.

We had a card invitation left on our bed half way through our cruise. Unfortunately it was cancelled due to the norovirus outbreak :(

My other half did it last year on Oriana. Yes it was expensive but he reckons it was worth every penny.

It lasted for ages and they spent a lot of time on the bridge with the Captain showing them photos sent to his mobile phone of our departure in heavy weather at la Corunna.

It is a very detailed tour and not for the faint hearted as there is quite a bit of climbing steep stairs and walking..

If it is possible to afford it then it is a once in a lifetime experience... so my OH says!!:)

We did this tour on Ventura and it was well worth it. You don't see the actual engines, but the high tec control room. One highlight was unhurried access to the bridge. Several very senior staff were waiting for us in key areas to demonstrate or explain such things as anchoring, costume storage (quite surprising), store rooms etc. The medical centre was interesting and they tell you all sorts of things that we found fascinating. The food or drink is a token gesture, so don't book on account of that but, if like us, you have been on quite a few cruises and find the 'how it all works' aspects interesting and can suffer the cost, then I thoroughly recommend it. We would do it again and intend to on Britannia later this year, if it is offered.

thanks may consider it since I'll have some on board credit to spend. I'm on Ventura 3 weeks today!

My husband did this tour a few weeks ago on Oceana. After we had some thought about the cost I urged him to do it as he's very interested in all things technical and we had heard good reports. He enquired at Reception - it was advertised in the Horizon paper - and was told there was a limit as to numbers but there had to be 8 people for it to go ahead. On the morning of the tour - it was a sea day at the end of the cruise - there were only 5 people but the tour went ahead anyway. He was gone over three and a half hours and came back very enthusiastic about it - it was as has been described - very thorough and ended up in Magnums with lots of time to talk to the Captain.

If anyone is interested in the workings of the ship then my husband would thoroughly recommend it. I didn't do it only because there is so much walking and climbing steps and I have a dodgy ankle - on the information women were recommended to wear trousers and not a skirt!

That's really useful to know. How do you register our interest in going on the tour? Thanks.

Most people are going to think it's expensive and getting in on the tour is not going to be difficult if you are happy to pay the £75. It looks a reasonable price based on the descriptions posted herein. As I recall on Oceana a rider on the information seemed to suggest a "minimum number" of participants before it was actually a goer, this is more likely to be a problem.

Regards John

Most people are going to think it's expensive and getting in on the tour is not going to be difficult if you are happy to pay the £75. It looks a reasonable price based on the descriptions posted herein. As I recall on Oceana a rider on the information seemed to suggest a "minimum number" of participants before it was actually a goer, this is more likely to be a problem.

Regards John

Hi, when we went in April during school holidays I think there were about 12 of us and that was the maximum. :)

Absolutely worth it if you have any interest in how the whole thing works on a cruise ship.

I did it on Ventura early last year on a Caribbean cruise.

Four and a half hours in total iirc, with, as said above, senior officers to explain and answer questions. They all doing this with total charm and making those on the tour feel welcome and not "intruding".

Much is down to the questions those on the tour ask as regards how much you might find out, so don't be shy.

For instance, at our final Q&A session with the Captain in the Glass House I asked the Captain about the problems of dealing with such a large crew and discipline, remember this is a crew of men and women from many nationalities. He replied that the previous day he had spent six hours dealing with a crew problem.

That helps to explain the hard job any Captain has to do, ultimate responsibility for ship, passengers and crew.

John, as I said the group my husband was with, there were only 5 of them and the ship was happy for the tour to go ahead with only that small number but yes they do say there's a minimum number needed. I assume it's up to the Captain as to how small a number he's prepared to have.