Ever miss a port due to weather or other issues?

My goodness, missing ports is part of the world of cruising. Over the years we have missed ports I the Caribbean, Devil's Island, ports in Africa, Europe, Asia, and New Zealand. And recently friends of ours missed 2 ports in Vanauto and New Caledonia. Most of the time the cause has been weather related although we have also missed a port because of labor strikes.

Since we do understand that a majority on CC only go to the Caribbean, the most missed ports are any place where you have to tender. Tender operations are tricky and involve carefully controlled risk. Even on a beautiful day when everything looks perfect, long swells can cause a missed port. Moving folks between the ship and a tender is the most dangerous part of cruising (a woman recently was killed getting on a Queen Elizabeth tender when she fell into the sea while boarding the tender).

One should consider that the Caribbean has a long hurricane season (June - early Nov) and a large storm 1000 miles away can generate "long swell" which could cancel a tender port.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

In August 2003 on Norwegian Sea from New York to Bermuda we spent the first two nights in St. George, then Hamilton but went to sea from Hamilton rather than moving over to Dockyard because of an approaching storm. There was a lot of complaining, but I was happy to have an extra sea day rather than an overnight at that tourist trap. This past November Prinsendam from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale skipped two stops in the Azores because of heavy seas in the central Atlantic. We went to Madiera in stead - some complaining, but the remaining sea days were better due to warmer southern track.

The sad fact is that there will always be people who feel cheated and simply turn sour.

Can the wedding party get another wedding on Nassau for no cost with all expenses paid including airfare cruise etc as it was a scheduling problem and not due to weather as Royal knew well in advance about the wedding and especially if it was booked with Royal's wedding dept? I wonder how Royal made it up to the wedding party?

Another "compensation" issue? I did not see anything about Royal Caribbean's "wedding dept" being involved - or even necessarily even knowing about the plans of the wedding party. Unless Royal was actually (and actively) involved in the deal, the idea of seeking

"...another wedding on Nassau for no cost with all expenses paid including airfare cruise etc..."

is beyond absurd.

I guess I'm in the minority (the only one at this point in the thread) and haven't missed a port yet. Been to a few to the typical "trouble spots" and :knocks on wood: have yet to miss one. Will tempt fate with Coco Cay in November.

So far I've done four cruises and 20 ports. I haven't missed one yet. There's a fair chance that at least one will be missed on my next two cruises, but I hope for the best. I'm knocking on wood.

One question while I'm here... suppose that we miss Port A and it's replaced with Port B. Would we be charged for Port B? Would we be refunded for Port A? Or will they call it a wash and zero everything out?

So far I've done four cruises and 20 ports. I haven't missed one yet. There's a fair chance that at least one will be missed on my next two cruises, but I hope for the best. I'm knocking on wood.

One question while I'm here... suppose that we miss Port A and it's replaced with Port B. Would we be charged for Port B? Would we be refunded for Port A? Or will they call it a wash and zero everything out?

They seem to always refund port charges for missed ports, and in my experience have added port charges for additional ones. The charges are not that large to begin with, and it is most likely to be a wash in any case.

They seem to always refund port charges for missed ports, and in my experience have added port charges for additional ones. The charges are not that large to begin with, and it is most likely to be a wash in any case.

I think the one cruise they gave us port fees back it was $14 or something like that....not very much.

The cruise line will refund the port charges for any port that is missed. They will also refund the cost of any ship's shore excursions you have paid for.

If another port is substituted for the missed one, you will be charge the port fees for the new port and for any excursion you take.

We got stuck in Dublin instead of going to Belfast. Would not have minded so much if the Captain had announced that instead of "we'll let you know soon." "Soon" never happened.

Same cruise on Crown we never got into Reykjavik because of high winds. They sent a tug out to deliver the new entertainers & pick up those departing.

In 2003 on the old Regal we had noro on board & had to pass up stops in Qaqortoq Greenland and St John's Newfoundland. Got to New York a couple days early. What can ya do?

Steve

Missed Arica Chile twice-once due to a malfunctioning ship and once due to bad weather. No great loss-not much to see in Arica Chile. The ship doesn't get into port early enough to see the geysers.

Then missed an entire cruise 3 days before the cruise was to depart. Ship broke down in Acapulco. Celebrity had to get everyone off the ship in Mexico and get it fixed. So they canceled the next cruise. Money was very, very promptly refunded, got a free cruise cert and Celebrity even paid to change air reservations. We flew to Hawaii and basically duplicated the trip by flying Island to Island. Kind of a scramble to get hotel rooms as it was Valentine's day but we managed. And we did some fun things that we would not have had time to do if we were on the ship-"learn to fly a helicopter" in Oahu, hang gliding and a stargazing trip to the top of Mauna Kea at night. Not all bad to miss a port or a cruise.

I missed Costa Maya on my first cruise due to high wind preventing the ship from docking. It was a bit sad to be so close and hold out hope while waiting to see if things would die down, but we made the best of it and enjoyed our extra sea day.

I'm curious to know what ones you have missed, why and how you/others felt about it.

Missed a port? No, not yet. Late getting out of a port/getting to a port? Yes, twice.

On our recent X Reflection cruise, the seas were heavy and we went slow, putting us into San Juan 2 hours late. It was already supposed to be a late arrival, 3:30p, so we got in at 530ish. The National Park sites closed at 6p, so I didn't get to wander around a fort. I was disappointed, but I got over it. We walked around Old Town a bit, bought a couple things, and went back to the ship for dinner.

On our Eurodam cruise in 2010, they couldn't get the anchor up at Half Moon Cay because of a mechanical issue. It was the last day of the cruise and we left hours late, which put us into Port Everglades at noonish. Debarkation started at 1220p-ish, about 5 minutes before our original flight was supposed to leave. We didn't make that one. :p (I booked a later flight online when we finally left HMC) There were some VERY angry people trying to get off the ship. They got even angrier when they were told that if they didn't have their bags and weren't self-disembarking, they'd have to wait until all the bags were unloaded and sorted before they'd be allowed into the luggage hall, or whatever it's called. I will never forget the cursing granny, yelling, "THIS IS A CLUSTER-(F)BLEEP, I'M GOING TO MISS MY FLIGHT!"

That incident reconfirmed my plan to always pack light, carry my own luggage, and roll with the punches.

Missed Monte Carlo because of wind and rough seas. Other passengers were not happy about it. We had been there before a few times. Beautiful place so not surprised by the misappointment of passengers. Once we encounter rough seas tendering back to the ship in Monte Carlo. So we understand why the Captain made the decision better than other passengers.

The only time we missed a port was way back in 2005. Our port of debarkation, Galveston. Hurricane Rita closed the port for 2 days so we were able to dock at an extra port, Costa Maya, while waiting for the port to open.

About 99% of the people didn't mind because Carnival opened all the phone lines, free of charge, so we could call our families, offices and airlines to make changes (for those flying.)

My first cruise and it was there that I realized that I was hooked on cruising.

I'm so used to ports being cancelled. I love the extra sea day! I think most missed ports were due to weather and sea swells. There may have been one due to mechanical issues. Learned a long time ago to "go with the flow" so whatever happens, happens.

Missed Coco Cay on my very first cruise. This was a January Bahamas cruise and the weather was chilly and waves were awful...still got addicted to cruising regardless :D

On another note...a few years later I made it to NCL's private island, which I believe is very, very close to Coco Cay. The weather was SO bad on NCL's island that it is the only port stop I've ever wished the ship had skipped! Or maybe I just shouldn't have gotten on the tenders :cool:

Last April (2014), on our sixth cruise (Carnival Liberty), is the first time we've experienced missing a port. Grand Cayman and the port authority closed tendering in Georgetown and also at the alternate tendering location. It was due to high swells and strong winds. As we sailed past GC, we could see the large waves crashing into the island...it would not have been a good day there so better safe at sea. Port fees and taxes were refunded, in addition to the cost of any excursions that had been booked through Carnival. We'd been to Grand Cayman in 2006, so we're 50/50 there. We came close to missing Grand Turk in May 2010 due to strong winds while on Carnival Glory. When they made the announcement that the ship was finally docked (half hour late), we were told to thank our captain since they will try docking three times before bailing out on a port. Our captain was able to get us docked on that third try.

I should mention that partially as the result of a cruise line settlement with the Florida Attorney General (I think in 1997) the cruise lines must be careful to disclose port fees and not charge non-existent fees. So when you miss a port, any associated port fees are usually quickly refunded to everyone's onboard accounts. Beyond the refund of any such port fees (usually less than $20) the cruise line has no further obligation. The passenger contracts give the lines the full authority to change itineraries, miss ports, etc. without any refund to the passengers (other then port fees).

Hank

The only time we missed a port was Grand Cayman in 2005 due to Hurricane Dennis (our second cruise). However, there was a berth available in Cozumel so we spent an overnight there.:D We also ended up with an extra day at the end of the cruise, again thanks to Dennis. The ship's captain was very good at keeping us informed and even had graphics available to show why we were not docking in GC. I didn't hear any complaints....