Cruise Critic Poll

legaljen1969

This is not so much a cruise question as a "Cruise Critic" question- but I suppose the topic could be discussed here.

Is there a place on these boards to discuss the Weekly Poll? If this thread gets moved, could someone please be kind enough to tell me where I am being re-directed/relocated?

This week's poll is about dining on shore. Currently, the numbers seem to be stacking up to indicate that 39% like trying local cuisine, followed by 32% that never eat off the ship. The rest either only eat what is provided on the ship's tour (23%) or eat what is closest to port 5%. I know these percentages all have "point something" behind them, but I just went with the main numbers.

Anyhow, for those who only eat what is provided on a tour OR only eat on board-what is the reasoning for that? More because it is included in your fare, or because you don't like to venture out?

Why do you care?

We don't do tours generally, we like to explore ports on our own. Whether we eat in port and bring something we purchased in port back to the ship, to enjoy, really depends on where we are, i.e., the port.

If we are in the Mediterranean, we often shop in port for all kinds of things... nuts, dried fruit, pastries.

If we are in the Israel, we have some favorite foods we buy and eat in port or bring back to the ship.

If we are in Mexico we don't eat or drink in port, not safe. Feel the same about Egypt.

Whether we buy anything in port really depends on how satisfied we are with the food on board, i.e., on NCL... we are more likely to eat in port. On Cunard, Princess, HAL we are more likely to eat on board.

So you can see there are a lot of variables.

This is not so much a cruise question as a "Cruise Critic" question- but I suppose the topic could be discussed here.

Is there a place on these boards to discuss the Weekly Poll? If this thread gets moved, could someone please be kind enough to tell me where I am being re-directed/relocated? ...

Whenever a thread is moved, click on the word moved and you will be taken to where the thread is.

Is there a place on these boards to discuss the Weekly Poll? If this thread gets moved, could someone please be kind enough to tell me where I am being re-directed/relocated?

This week's poll is about dining on shore. Currently, the numbers seem to be stacking up to indicate that 39% like trying local cuisine, followed by 32% that never eat off the ship. The rest either only eat what is provided on the ship's tour (23%) or eat what is closest to port 5%. I know these percentages all have "point something" behind them, but I just went with the main numbers.

Anyhow, for those who only eat what is provided on a tour OR only eat on board-what is the reasoning for that? More because it is included in your fare, or because you don't like to venture out?

Personally, We do not eat off ship, due to having no clue re preparation, cleanliness, etc...we do purchase prepackage stuff as souvenirs . plus, I prefer my shore time to be exploring and fun--no worrying abt finding foOd.

In the past meals have been included in my cruisefare, so I don't see the need to eat off the ship. There have been a couple of instances (Lobster in Maine, a Tea in Victoria BC, etc.) as special occasions, but in general we will wait until we return to the ship to eat.

Why do you care?

We don't do tours generally, we like to explore ports on our own. Whether we eat in port and bring something we purchased in port back to the ship, to enjoy, really depends on where we are, i.e., the port.

If we are in the Mediterranean, we often shop in port for all kinds of things... nuts, dried fruit, pastries.

If we are in the Israel, we have some favorite foods we buy and eat in port or bring back to the ship.

If we are in Mexico we don't eat or drink in port, not safe. Feel the same about Egypt.

Whether we buy anything in port really depends on how satisfied we are with the food on board, i.e., on NCL... we are more likely to eat in port. On Cunard, Princess, HAL we are more likely to eat on board.

So you can see there are a lot of variables.

I was just curious. Your post, other than the 'Why do you care?" was quite informative and interesting.

I was just noticing the trend of the answers and was curious. Excuse me for asking a question. I didn't ask about whether you wear underwear or something terribly personal. No need to be a jerk.

Many folks are doing other things instead of eating! So, they eat before they leave the ship in the morning, and don't feel the need to eat again until they return!

Makes perfect sense. I had not considered that particular explanation. That's why I asked the question. Just wondering about the reasons behind why people answered. I just found it interesting that the two top answers were "I like trying local cuisine" and "I never eat in port." Don't know why I found in interesting, but it just made me curious.

Personally, We do not eat off ship, due to having no clue re preparation, cleanliness, etc...we do purchase prepackage stuff as souvenirs . plus, I prefer my shore time to be exploring and fun--no worrying abt finding foOd.

"Worrying about finding food" is not a primary concern but sometimes I am curious about local cuisine. If it is near mealtime and I am traveling with others equally curious, and we have done what we intended to do- we are more likely to try something local and different than to pick a chain place.

Why are people so unfriendly here?

We very often plan to have our lunch in port. If the ship sails late, we usually go ashore for dinner. A part of travel fun for me is trying new cuisines and restaurants in places we visit. We visited same ports in Caribbean and Canada/New England so many times through the years, we had some favorite places for enjoyable return.

I didn't vote in the poll, but to me it's a matter of priorities. I really enjoy trying local cuisine, but sightseeing often trumps dining locally when I only have a few hours in a given port.

For example (since most of my cruises are ex-US): If I'm staying in Rome for a few days, you won't find anyone happier than me to try a different restaurant each night. But if I'm only in port for a day, it's unlikely that I will want to spend the time to sit down to a full Italian lunch. I'd rather skip lunch altogether or eat something light on the go than miss precious sightseeing time.

Many folks are doing other things instead of eating! So, they eat before they leave the ship in the morning, and don't feel the need to eat again until they return!

Which is our point of view, in port for maybe 8 hours, Breakfast, time in Port, something to eat when we ar5e back on board, late diner, might grab an ice cream, drink or something on shore.

WE may well have something to eat if the port is one that has a reputation for a particular food.

Whenever a thread is moved, click on the word moved and you will be taken to where the thread is.

Thank you. I usually only end up using Cruise Critic when I have already paid for one. I cruise far less than many of you, so my knowledge is a little rusty.

I appreciate the tip.

I think your question was valid since I am also a curious one! We have been to many of the ports numerous time and like sail7seas, we enjoy trying different cuisines. We don't, however, drink local water or eat things that might contain water that have not been cooked/heated. We have never had a problem and always enjoyed our adventures! Oh, we have done only a very few "tours" as we prefer to venture our on our own.